Any tips on adjusting to riding trails?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/8/2020 10:07 AM

I am quite used to dirt jumps on my mtb, but whenever I try them on my bmx i am too scared to try anything thats not long and low. Does anyone have any tips to adjusting or just riding? Thanks, Sam

|

9/8/2020 10:45 AM

smsamuel wrote:

I am quite used to dirt jumps on my mtb, but whenever I try them on my bmx i am too scared to try anything thats not long and low. Does anyone have any tips to adjusting or just riding? Thanks, Sam

Nope I suck at them too, they were never my thing...but a buddy of mine also came back to riding after 15 years and basically built a table that he puts in the middle of doubles at the trails to make them a table top

|

9/8/2020 11:05 AM

It’d definitely help simply riding the BMX around beforehand, just to get acquainted with the nimble feel after riding the MTB. Maybe even at a skatepark, or just doing bunnyhops around the street.

As someone who rarely rides trails, I find it difficult to even hit like a 4 foot jump, haha. Not having a tabletop messes with my head, as I can clear the 5 foot table at my local park every time.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

9/8/2020 11:19 AM

younggotti wrote:

Nope I suck at them too, they were never my thing...but a buddy of mine also came back to riding after 15 years and basically built a table that he puts in the middle of doubles at the trails to make them a table top

^That's pretty wild. I never would have thought to do that. Definitely would make some of the big jumps less intimidating.

OP, just try it when you are already having a good day. If you can get it done on the mtb, you'll be able to get it done on anything else. Just be patient and keep doing what you are comfortable with. You will inevitably get bored with the repetition and one day you will take the jump without even thinking about it.

|

9/8/2020 12:18 PM

yeah I hit like 10 15 foot doubles on my mtb with no problems but I feel like bmx is a lot more skilled. Thanks for the fast replies

|

9/8/2020 3:17 PM

I recently switched back to BMX from a DJ and although it was really weird at first it eventually felt fine. Lots of riding around the neighborhood at first just To feel comfortable and not feel like a gorilla on a tricycle! Also, if you have any skateparks near by with bowls and or transitions I would recommend riding there too. Very helpful for me.

|

9/8/2020 11:49 PM

As above, you definitely want to spend a bunch of time on your BMX to get comfortable, and understand how it’ll respond to different inputs. If you can already do them on MTB, then you obviously have the ability, it’s just finding the feel on a more responsive platform

|

9/9/2020 1:06 PM

When in doubt.... go flat out

|

Husky Nation Member

9/9/2020 1:37 PM

Pull up, nose in.

|

9/9/2020 2:02 PM

smoke weed before get so fucking high that you think you are tom hanks starring in a movie about dave mirra. do a fucking backflip and barspin and tailwhip cuz you are the highest grossing actor in history then cut out a hole in the landing ramp and humo the shit out of it

|

13 years old

9/9/2020 2:02 PM

hump i meant to type hump

|

13 years old

9/11/2020 4:34 AM

Lol

|