Anybody ever thought of this?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/26/2011 10:59 PM

[LINK TO IMAGE]
For brakes, (mainly for flatland guys) , this is my idea. have the front brake mounted as usual but cut two holes in the bars, one right next to the brake lever, and one at the bottom of the bars where its mounted on the stem. So what happens is the front brake line is run threw the bars, stem, down the head tube, into the for and is put on the front brakes as usual. for the back, you do the same as the front with the bars but you run it threw the toptube, and then cut a hole in the frame right where the brake mechanism is. and thats my idea.

Tell me what you think.
|

Flatlander
BiKeChEcK.

2/26/2011 11:13 PM

Good idea. Probably some problems like strength and that, but it's a good idea.

|

Shakesman69: My penis is SMALL.

2/26/2011 11:16 PM

strength would be a problem considering all of the wholes that you would have to cut in stuff. But i would give the bike a really clean look.

|

Flatlander
BiKeChEcK.

2/26/2011 11:29 PM

ooh you think you fancy with your macintosh computer?

|

2/26/2011 11:36 PM

Fbm Marauder wrote:

ooh you think you fancy with your macintosh computer?

wink wink wink
|

Flatlander
BiKeChEcK.

2/26/2011 11:37 PM

gts race frame has this for the back brakes

|

Just ride and stop being a DICK to the new kids

2/27/2011 12:03 AM

cam hardy used to do this on every frame, now he has gone brakeless he has no need but i know his brake was dialled, i am just not sure how it works!

|

2/27/2011 1:26 AM

Sick drawing

|

2/27/2011 7:17 AM

I told my friend about that idea a while back and he thought I was crazy. I still wonder why bike companies haven't used that design for flatland bikes. It doesn't matter for me cause I ride dirt.

|

RIDE ON Never ask questions.

BIKE CHECK

2/27/2011 7:27 AM

People have done this in the past, they still do it sometimes on motorcycles. I would love it personally, but few companies would want to do it because it's expensive and a pain in the ass to loop the cables and cable guides through. Unfortunately BMX is going through a bit of a conservative era design wise. Study BMX history, lots of weird ideas have been introduced over the years, but ultimately discarded. Like full suspension, full carbon fiber race bikes. Crazy. Ask Bloghogs, I bet he has some cool pics tucked away.

|

2/27/2011 7:40 AM

jamie cole wrote:

cam hardy used to do this on every frame, now he has gone brakeless he has no need but i know his brake was dialled, i am just not sure how it works!

1234

|

Check my Youtube Channel and Subscribe if you like.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC62awwE63LVhyBqOgIyY3ZA
Follow me on Instagram @ scott_effting & toododgy

2/27/2011 8:47 AM

old. already been done. do you know shit about bikes?

|

IN NOMINE SATANUS

2/27/2011 9:05 AM

cleanbmx wrote:

People have done this in the past, they still do it sometimes on motorcycles. I would love it personally, but few companies would want to do it because it's expensive and a pain in the ass to loop the cables and cable guides through. Unfortunately BMX is going through a bit of a conservative era design wise. Study BMX history, lots of weird ideas have been introduced over the years, but ultimately discarded. Like full suspension, full carbon fiber race bikes. Crazy. Ask Bloghogs, I bet he has some cool pics tucked away.

Edit, I meant ask Calafia, not bloghogs. My apologies bloghogs. Go look at the file entitled "mystery file" under the pictures section, some neat suspension bikes there. There have been alot of cool ass designs over the years and there are still a lot of cool bikes out there, you just need to look around. BMXPlus just had an article on Scott Powell, that man has some cool ass wheels!

|

2/27/2011 9:07 AM

wouldnt the brake cable twist inside?

|

refs- Tommyboy,mandingo215, lobo173, prophet,iridebmxeveryday,ctbmx86,1of1547,Warchol2,white knight,branBMX94,JakeSalbert

Subscribe to me on Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/user/senika5634?feature=mhee

2/27/2011 9:10 AM

I posted in here but I don't know where it went. Anyways my race frame has two holes in the toptube where the brakeline is threaded through.

|

2/27/2011 9:20 AM

Ive heard nothing but good things about Calafia.

|

Mostly peaceful posting on vital.

2/27/2011 9:46 AM

@ihatepurplebikes, yeah I don't know shit about bikes. I just come in here to talk about nothing...Really dude, you don't think I know about bikes? Then why the he'll am I on vital? I've been riding for about 6-7 years, I think I know a little about bikes.

|

Flatlander
BiKeChEcK.

2/27/2011 9:50 AM

carjakester wrote:

wouldnt the brake cable twist inside?

yeah the brake cables would trwiat inside if you did like barspins. so this idea is kinda useless I guess. but it would look cool.

|

Flatlander
BiKeChEcK.

2/27/2011 11:03 AM

ive seen it done before.

|

im alex, and i like to ride my bike.
MOTW 5/24/2010 - 5/30/2010.
BOTM february 2011.

2/27/2011 12:21 PM

carjakester wrote:

wouldnt the brake cable twist inside?

Not if it runs through the steerer tube.

|

2/27/2011 1:04 PM

Have fun getting it past your compression bolt.

|

2/27/2011 3:29 PM

What about running a Gyro?

|

MOTW- 6/21/10- 6/27/10
Refs- Hyphy
Facebook

2/27/2011 4:47 PM

wouldnt work. Your cable would get twisted, because the twisting of the motion corrolates directly to the cable itself, ultimately twisting the cable and fraying it, and when the cable breaks due to this, you have to take your whole bike apart just to fix a brakining system. A good idea, but I have a better one, send that drawing into a museum or somthing, it's beautiful, a sort of impressionism or similar to vincent van gogh. Oh and oprah would eat that shit up

|

2/27/2011 4:49 PM

the creemofsumyungai wrote:

wouldnt work. Your cable would get twisted, because the twisting of the motion corrolates directly to the cable itself, ultimately twisting the cable and fraying it, and when the cable breaks due to this, you have to take your whole bike apart just to fix a brakining system. A good idea, but I have a better one, send that drawing into a museum or somthing, it's beautiful, a sort of impressionism or similar to vincent van gogh. Oh and oprah would eat that shit up

a cool noob, now I've seen it all.

|

2/27/2011 4:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/27/2011 4:54 PM

the creemofsumyungai wrote:

wouldnt work. Your cable would get twisted, because the twisting of the motion corrolates directly to the cable itself, ultimately twisting the cable and fraying it, and when the cable breaks due to this, you have to take your whole bike apart just to fix a brakining system. A good idea, but I have a better one, send that drawing into a museum or somthing, it's beautiful, a sort of impressionism or similar to vincent van gogh. Oh and oprah would eat that shit up

He's talking front brakes, and running it down the steerer tube, the same way most brakes are done, but instead you run it through a hole in your bars and stem, then what I'm guessing is a hole in the steerer tube, then however you'd normally run front brakes. At least that's what I got out of it. As long as the cable goes down through the steerer tube, everything will spin as one piece and nothing will tangle.

Edit: Spelling mistakes

|

2/27/2011 4:52 PM

Kenealy wrote:

He's talking front brakes, and running it down the steerer tube, the same way most brakes are done, but instead you run it through a hole in your bars and stem, then what I'm guessing is a hole in the steerer tube, then however you'd normally run front brakes. At least that's what I got out of it. As long as the cable goes down through the steerer tube, everything will spin as one piece and nothing will tangle.

Edit: Spelling mistakes

the rear brakes he talked about woul twist though.

|

2/27/2011 4:55 PM

cky199 wrote:

a cool noob, now I've seen it all.

You have only been on for 3 months, I believe you are still in the noob category with the rest of us wink

|

Refs: element4all
Bike Check

2/27/2011 4:55 PM

the creemofsumyungai wrote:

wouldnt work. Your cable would get twisted, because the twisting of the motion corrolates directly to the cable itself, ultimately twisting the cable and fraying it, and when the cable breaks due to this, you have to take your whole bike apart just to fix a brakining system. A good idea, but I have a better one, send that drawing into a museum or somthing, it's beautiful, a sort of impressionism or similar to vincent van gogh. Oh and oprah would eat that shit up

Kenealy wrote:

He's talking front brakes, and running it down the steerer tube, the same way most brakes are done, but instead you run it through a hole in your bars and stem, then what I'm guessing is a hole in the steerer tube, then however you'd normally run front brakes. At least that's what I got out of it. As long as the cable goes down through the steerer tube, everything will spin as one piece and nothing will tangle.

Edit: Spelling mistakes

cky199 wrote:

the rear brakes he talked about woul twist though.

I missed that part... My bad. That wouldn't work.

|

2/27/2011 4:58 PM

xxxfattonyxxx wrote:

You have only been on for 3 months, I believe you are still in the noob category with the rest of us wink

ikr? but how often are the noobs on these forums cool?wassat

|

2/27/2011 5:01 PM

cky199 wrote:

ikr? but how often are the noobs on these forums cool?wassat

I can think of a couple whistling

|

Refs: element4all
Bike Check