Anybody know how to fix a tight spot in a chain?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/11/2016 8:43 PM

I have a tight and loose spot that I need to get rid of and I got no clue on how to fix it.

|

2/11/2016 10:16 PM

It could be a warped chain, bent sprocket, or incorrectly assembled/loose cranks. Check your cranks are tightened properly, and the tophat washer is in correctly, check the sprocket bolt, and check the sprocket for bends. If your sprocket is bent, you need a new one. If all that is good, try a new chain

|

2/12/2016 5:16 AM

Or if youre running bolt drive your sprocket could be off center

|

2/12/2016 6:19 AM

This is why a run a spline drive.

|

2/12/2016 9:06 AM

michael.eckhart wrote:

This is why a run a spline drive.

Me too

|

2/12/2016 11:33 AM

Could also be a stretched section of chain, or a stiff link.

When you say a tight spot, do you mean your chain gets loose and tight as you pedal? Or is there a link that feels stiff and makes it hard to pedal when it nears your driver or sprocket?

If it is a stiff link, LUBE YOUR CHAIN, and flex that link SIDE TO SIDE a little, should loosen right up.

If you mean a loose spot then a tight spot, it could be many things, bearings in driver or BB could be shot, sprocket could be not centered on the spindle, could be moving side to side on the spindle, could be bent, could be a stretched spot in your chain, could be a bad driver.

Try taking off the chain and spin your cranks and watch to see if the sprocket wobble side to side or up and down. If so, that is likely the issue.

Also check your driver, spin it by hand, make sure it doesn't wiggle around (grab and pull on it). If so, you might have a bearing shot, or a bad driver, or worse, bad hub.

Do a lot of inspection to try to narrow it down.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/15/2016 7:16 PM

Stiff link: Maybe try wedging a flathead between the stiff plates and spread them (rotate flathead) just a smidge.

|

2/25/2016 8:39 AM

retroriderPDX wrote:

Stiff link: Maybe try wedging a flathead between the stiff plates and spread them (rotate flathead) just a smidge.

When you have a stiff link it means that you pressed a pin in the chain that should not be there. KMC and SRAM chains have master links, and many other companies have replacement pins to make the link not stiff, but working it around with something will losen it up

|