Anyone Tried Bmx Flatland? Help!

Related:
Create New Tag

9/29/2013 11:05 PM

Whats going on vital bmx, to make a long story short, i have a strong passion for BMX Flatland, which takes years of practice and a lot of commitment, I have gotten some basic tricks down, The Squeaker, Fork Glide, Steamroller, those tricks itself are easy now yet they took so much time and practice, and i'm finding myself up on some of the harder tricks like Karl Kruser, side donut etc,

I ride at my local park in my area and use the tennis court for practice, yet i'm at my limit where i'm noticing my bike is not a flatland bike, I got it from Walmart 4 years ago, It's a Mongoose Bionic, i have changed out parts to make it look like a flatland bike, except the fork because the bike doesn't have a integrated headset so finding a fork suitable for flatland is almost impossible.

I'm being punished on this bike, haha what should i do? go to walmart and buy a bike that looks like a real bmx? because now 4 years later Walmart is starting to sell bikes that look like pro bikes, and they are also lightweight, Should i buy one or go somewhere else? i only pay in cash. i dont use credit or money cards, what should be my next step in progressing in flatland?

|

9/29/2013 11:12 PM

Find a flatland frame, build from there

|

9/29/2013 11:20 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

What do you think of walmart bikes?

|

9/30/2013 6:16 AM

just look on craigslist for a flatland bike for cheap. then build it how you want

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

9/30/2013 6:56 AM

feeble_to_face wrote:

just look on craigslist for a flatland bike for cheap. then build it how you want

This. But if you must shop at Walmart and will not take any advice that doesn't involve Walmart being the place you get your bike, then get this . I think you will have to have them order it since they mostly carry the cheaper models in stores.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

9/30/2013 10:24 AM

Flatlandfuel.com has a good bike for 650

|

fack off

9/30/2013 12:17 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

JustFlatland wrote:

For flatland, the frame would probably be fine, but I would make sure to have better wheels for sure, as the side loads can be pretty heavy on them, also a freecoaster isn't necessary, but helps with a lot of rear wheel tricks.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/30/2013 4:29 PM

flatland fuel has lots of frames on sale as well.

Most importantly, keep riding whatever bike you have until you get a new frame./parts.

|

9/30/2013 4:44 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

JustFlatland wrote:

Well, the geo is off. But you can find a hyper or DK maybe a mongoose that takes an integrated headset and keep upgrading it.

|

9/30/2013 5:24 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

JustFlatland wrote:

biggybuggy wrote:

Well, the geo is off. But you can find a hyper or DK maybe a mongoose that takes an integrated headset and keep upgrading it.

It won't have the flatland geometry, basically a shallow head tube angle, longer top tube and longer rear end, as well as more traditional gearing.

Typically (not always the case) flatland frames are shorter in length, steeper front end, and a lot of the time they have easier gearing, like 16/9 and so on. (And many have front and rear brakes, or at least front while learning)

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura