Anyone building trails?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/4/2020 9:50 AM

Just started building some trails with a buddy and some local kids.
Anyone else started to build or rebuild trails in there area?
Heres some pics of the little weve done so far.
Not much but its a start Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

4/4/2020 1:59 PM

We used to build trails and tracks at my grandparents' farm. And I kinda helped the neighbor kids build jumps in the empty lots when our subdivision was still being built in early 2000's. I can't think of anywhere today that I could just go digging though. Is this on public land? Looks like a good start

|

Remember when you could ride all day and not be sore for a week?
Instagram: @theothermaj

4/4/2020 2:05 PM

trails rule.

do yourself a favor and don't bury logs and stuff. and try to use the quality dirt not the flarf dirt that is mostly sticks and leaves.

and don't tell anyone about them if you want them to last....

|

4/4/2020 4:33 PM

That's awesome, even a water source right there!

Back when I was like 13, we had a small piece of land where we had a tiny, tiny trail right down from the skatepark. Right on the side of the road, but hidden behind trees. You'd pedal for speed along the sidewalk, duck in between an opening in the small grass, hit a small jump over a stream, another berm, about a 4-foot table, and a tire jump at the end.

Incredibly fun, but it's been years since government took the place and it's gone. I look at it everytime I ride up to the park.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

4/4/2020 4:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/4/2020 4:38 PM

I was starting to build some near my house until someone told the cops that I was making holes for dirt bike jumps. Lasted about a month. I usually dig at race tracks with dirt lines or some other peoples spots around the area. Oh yeah heres a tip: if you go down about a foot in the ground you find some nice ass clay but that depends what area you live in though

|

I like riding my bike.

4/6/2020 6:50 PM

MJbmx wrote:

We used to build trails and tracks at my grandparents' farm. And I kinda helped the neighbor kids build jumps in the empty lots when our subdivision was still being built in early 2000's. I can't think of anywhere today that I could just go digging though. Is this on public land? Looks like a good start

Unfortunaly its public and not far off the paved trail and highway..already a good amount of kids go back there to do drugs and such (no hate did the same when i was young) but i do worry about things getting messed up

|

4/6/2020 6:53 PM

pnj wrote:

trails rule.

do yourself a favor and don't bury logs and stuff. and try to use the quality dirt not the flarf dirt that is mostly sticks and leaves.

and don't tell anyone about them if you want them to last....

Why no logs? ..a few kids are also digging there also which is fine but they dig their holes way to deep and make super short steep jumps that feel terrible to hit on my long ass frame
Photo

|

4/6/2020 6:55 PM

readybmxer wrote:

That's awesome, even a water source right there!

Back when I was like 13, we had a small piece of land where we had a tiny, tiny trail right down from the skatepark. Right on the side of the road, but hidden behind trees. You'd pedal for speed along the sidewalk, duck in between an opening in the small grass, hit a small jump over a stream, another berm, about a 4-foot table, and a tire jump at the end.

Incredibly fun, but it's been years since government took the place and it's gone. I look at it everytime I ride up to the park.

Idk if the city has a problem with us digging yet..i tried to wet some of the ramps to smooth out and it just gets so sticky haha..still figuring it out

|

4/6/2020 7:36 PM

if you continue to build, the logs will eventually rot and will become a pain in the ass when you need to remove them.

but, if you're building in an area that is going to get tore down by the city or local druggies, then it doesn't matter.

If you're really serious about building quality trails, go DEEP into the woods. Tell NO ONE and be low key about what you're doing.

the last place I was digging at, we would use a small pah in and when that started to get worn in, we'd make a new stealth path and let the old one grow back. Gotta protect your hard work.

|

4/6/2020 7:39 PM

pnj wrote:

if you continue to build, the logs will eventually rot and will become a pain in the ass when you need to remove them.

but, if you're building in an area that is going to get tore down by the city or local druggies, then it doesn't matter.

If you're really serious about building quality trails, go DEEP into the woods. Tell NO ONE and be low key about what you're doing.

the last place I was digging at, we would use a small pah in and when that started to get worn in, we'd make a new stealth path and let the old one grow back. Gotta protect your hard work.

It is hard work haha digging through roots and carrying buckets and wheel barrows full of dirt

|

4/7/2020 4:20 AM

I wish. I told my wife once we get all the nice yard work done, I am building some sort of ramp for myself, or I will be building a couple dirt jumps around where we are putting our fire pit etc.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/7/2020 7:11 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

I wish. I told my wife once we get all the nice yard work done, I am building some sort of ramp for myself, or I will be building a couple dirt jumps around where we are putting our fire pit etc.

Im so ready to be done renting..once i buy a house im building a bunch of stuff. Do you have an HOA?

|

4/8/2020 4:36 AM

NateBrown62 wrote:

Im so ready to be done renting..once i buy a house im building a bunch of stuff. Do you have an HOA?

Nope! We have moved into older more established neighborhoods both times.

I will never live where there is an HOA. The homes are too cookie cutter for me and HOAs tend to operate like a really annoying dictatorship with how they want YOUR home to look to mesh with the neighborhood in THEIR eyes-there's no vote that I have ever heard of, just "Get this done/get rid of it/fix this to match or you get a fine" crap.

Honestly this home is a bit of a landing pad for us, we plan to upgrade things (fence, clean up the yard, better grass etc outside, finish the basement inside) and then sell for more than we paid in a couple years. We want to find something with some extra land out in the country a bit (around the same town more than likely) and bonus points for extra buildings for me to build ramps/a workshop!

I can say that if you can afford it, find something a bit outside of your town/bigger city setting-taxes are cheaper, neighbors are farther away, and you can do more. I'm in a town of about 1200 people, 24 miles from the building I (used to) work in. (I work from home now).

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/8/2020 7:02 AM

This is city land?

hmm, only about 2 hours away from me. maybe ill come out and help dig when we're not on lock down anymore

|

-- doing business like its a business since 1985 --

"*a08 is awesome" -Penman166

a08's Street Build

a08's Ohio Standard - STOLEN - REWARD IF FOUND

WTB: Chrome GSport Birdcage Rims

4/8/2020 8:20 AM

A08 wrote:

This is city land?

hmm, only about 2 hours away from me. maybe ill come out and help dig when we're not on lock down anymore

Where are you located?
Yepp its owned by the city i believe
Its right next to a DPW station

|

4/8/2020 9:37 AM

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
|

4/8/2020 9:37 AM

Locals only collab. Photos don’t do it justice and there are several other lines not shown

|

4/8/2020 10:49 AM

rainescustoms99 wrote:

Locals only collab. Photos don’t do it justice and there are several other lines not shown

They look pretty knarly to me

|

4/8/2020 12:39 PM

NateBrown62 wrote:

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

Idk how old you guys are, but if you or one of your friends have a truck look on Craigslist for free dirt. Just in my town there is more free clean dirt than I would know what to do with. Also if you’re of age and have the appropriate location confident equipment rentals from homedepot or the like. I’ve rented or borrowed small kobotas for a day and got a lot of the heavy lifting done quickly leaving myself and friends to fine tune with hand tools.

|

4/8/2020 2:27 PM

rainescustoms99 wrote:

Idk how old you guys are, but if you or one of your friends have a truck look on Craigslist for free dirt. Just in my town there is more free clean dirt than I would know what to do with. Also if you’re of age and have the appropriate location confident equipment rentals from homedepot or the like. I’ve rented or borrowed small kobotas for a day and got a lot of the heavy lifting done quickly leaving myself and friends to fine tune with hand tools.

Solid suggestion-harder to do when you aren't on your own land though.

The free dirt thing is real. Check with excavation companies too-sometimes you can score a delivery too if it is closer than they would go to their own place to dump out.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/8/2020 3:02 PM

NateBrown62 wrote:

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

rainescustoms99 wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

Solid suggestion-harder to do when you aren't on your own land though.

The free dirt thing is real. Check with excavation companies too-sometimes you can score a delivery too if it is closer than they would go to their own place to dump out.

You’re right, it would have to be the right spot for the kobota. I wonder how much success you would have getting a few neon vests hard hats and traffic cones to make it look more legit lol probably a hefty fine if you got caught though... in my state as long as you’re not cutting down trees or damming/rerouting streams they don’t seem to mind

|

4/9/2020 7:09 PM

Started something new Photo

|

4/10/2020 6:02 PM

Kids cut atree down and tried to work on the berm i started ..im a little bummed but itll be fixed
PhotoPhoto

|

4/11/2020 7:04 PM

Building it up and shaping it Photo

|

4/11/2020 7:08 PM

Photo

Photo
Photo
|

4/22/2020 6:10 PM

Working on a table Photo

|

4/22/2020 7:22 PM

bury the kids in the next jump....

|

4/23/2020 4:39 AM

pnj wrote:

bury the kids in the next jump....

At the very least make sure you are all on the same page, and try to keep it quiet.

Our issue locally was 2 random kids that went by, saw us and told a billion other kids about our jumps. We would build up a line-it was a 6 pack, leave at sunset and come back at 10 am the next morning and someone had taken all of the doubles and turned them into tables and had ridden them a lot.

We lost tons of shovels, even after hiding them in some rough foliage.

Ultimately those same billion kids started bringing furniture, doing drugs and drinking and all around trashing the place. The landowner found us in there one day and yelled at us to leave, but refused to prove anything (a wooded vacant lot and a random old lady telling us to go away because "The party is over"). We waited a couple weeks, went back a bit for a while, and they ultimately were plowed, all because of some stupid 10 year olds who think they are cool drinking, doing drugs (I found NEEDLES back there) burning trash and couches and stuff.

It was LAME.

I figure next home I move to will have land, I will build some trails for myself that NO ONE can come do anything to without my knowledge.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/23/2020 7:15 AM

I gotta take some photos of the holes that were dug at the spot I posted. I lent the original creators last time I went up there. Dude has been working this spot for 20 years lol. But the holes they dug for dirt could easily be made into an I ground pool. They wanted to hit clay and man did they ever. I was joking with the guy and said summer time we should put a tarp in the hole and go swimming

|

4/23/2020 7:49 AM

rainescustoms99 wrote:

I gotta take some photos of the holes that were dug at the spot I posted. I lent the original creators last time I went up there. Dude has been working this spot for 20 years lol. But the holes they dug for dirt could easily be made into an I ground pool. They wanted to hit clay and man did they ever. I was joking with the guy and said summer time we should put a tarp in the hole and go swimming

Trails with a water collection pool is a a great idea. I've seen people set up rain barrels and run hoses from them to water the jumps too.

Also, if it fills up, you have a lake jump setup.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura