Anyone built a custom 18"?

Related:
Create New Tag

3/30/2016 2:32 PM

So I recently bought my son an 18" wheeled diamondback remix. Not the greatest bike I know, but he's only 7 and I got it cheap. Anyway, the thing weighs a ton and I've been trying to think of easy ways of stripping some weight.
Obviously it's never going to get sub 22lbs without me replacing pretty much everything.
I was wondering if anyone's custom built an 18" and has experience with any parts that would be suitable upgrades?
My main concern is the cranks right now. They're 145mm and the shortest half decent ones I can find are 165mm. I'm even tempted to chuck a 1piece on for now. I think that would have the biggest impact on a single part regarding weight.
A new wheelset MIGHT be on the cards if I can get a pair of hubs cheap. And I'm hoping I can shave a bit with new tyres.
Anything else worth looking into without breaking the bank? I'm aiming to get stuff second hand so the biggest concerns are the 18" specific/smaller scale parts.

Cheers ta!

|

3/30/2016 3:46 PM

A guy I know's son rode an 18 until a few weeks ago, kid RIPS.

This was a couple years ago. He's got double whips, trucks, bar to bar, and a ton of other moves now.
|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/30/2016 6:49 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

This was a couple years ago. He's got double whips, ...more

Good stuff! Love the super-drama slo mo & music cool

|

Frmrly BmxBos
Ref: Robinson79, aaron.samuel.green

3/31/2016 8:28 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

This was a couple years ago. He's got double whips, ...more

That's awesome!
Don't suppose you know the spec of the bike?

It turns out profile make 140mm cranks, and get longer in 5mm increments. Not sure I'm willing to pay that much though. At the moment all he does is hack around a car park. I'll try to get him to the pump track soon to see how he gets on, but it's not particularly local

|

3/31/2016 11:07 AM

Might want to throw the bars on a scale and see how much they weigh. That bike has Hi Ten bars. My old Haro had Hi Ten Bars and I saved more than half a pound by going to much bigger bars made in Chromo. The remix has 6.75" rise bars and here http://www.danscomp.com/products-PARTS/362589/S&M_Bruiser_24_Bars.html is a pair of chromo cruiser bars 6.5" rise. Only problem is they are 29" wide compared to the Remix's 24" wide bars. But looking it them you could probably cut 2" or more off each side and have enough left over for a 7 year olds hand width worth of grips and a brake lever. There are probably better options with less cutting involved but those came to mind because I remember seeing them.

I'm not sure if modern day Hi Ten bars are as heavy as they were in 08. But it would be worth a check.

|

3/31/2016 11:20 AM

|

3/31/2016 11:24 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

That's awesome!
Don't suppose you know the spec of the bike?

It turns out profile make 140mm cranks, and get longer in 5mm ...more

Last I heard he was on a DK 18 for a while, that was his first 18, and then the next time I saw him it looked like he was on the same thing, or at least a different 18" flat black frame.

He rides the twin cities fantasy factory pretty often, and he rides in their traveling shows all summer too.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/31/2016 11:33 AM

7plymaple wrote:

Might want to throw the bars on a scale and see how much they weigh. That bike has Hi Ten bars. My old Haro had Hi Ten Bars ...more

Pretty much the whole bike is hi ten, so I want to concentrate on the parts that are particularly heavy. Mainly cranks, and rear hub judging from the weight of the rear end. It's something worth looking at though, cheers!

|

3/31/2016 11:35 AM

jets9998 wrote:

Cutting down some primo cranks is a tempting idea. There's plenty of cheap second hand bits round here. That's given me a lot to think about! Cheers!

|