Anyone else hate installing handlebars?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/9/2019 5:30 PM

orangebmx907 wrote:

Hey vital is it a good idea to sand the knarlings on the part of the handle bar where the stem goes on?

Yes and no. On one hand, you will remove the paint from the bars but on the other hand, you can blunten the knurling and make it harder to grab onto the stem. I've never done it and don't see the point in it. Tighten the stem properly and there'll be no problem.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

5/9/2019 5:55 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Yes and no. On one hand, you will remove the paint from the bars but on the other hand, you can blunten the knurling and make it harder to grab onto the stem. I've never done it and don't see the point in it. Tighten the stem properly and there'll be no problem.

My other bike shop in Canada told me he’s going to have to sand it and the bike shop here near my house said he’s dumb for doing that and that’s the reason my bars are slipping

|

5/9/2019 5:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/9/2019 5:58 PM

orangebmx907 wrote:

My other bike shop in Canada told me he’s going to have to sand it and the bike shop here near my house said he’s dumb for doing that and that’s the reason my bars are slipping

That's because of the 2 different ways of looking at it that I just mentioned.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

5/9/2019 6:24 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

is this really that big an issue for some people ?

not being a dick, just a general question... just tighten the bolts up a littttle bit, to where the bars stay put but can be tapped front/back with a tiny bit of force, check and make sure that's where you want them and if not just tap them front/back accordingly, then tighten them up

that's what I've always done

is there a youtube vid for that. im really good at diy

|

Bunny hop and take your thumbs off
Tuck no footer
Tuck no fingers
Fakie switch bunny hop
Nose manual 1 ruler - krookedude

5/10/2019 2:12 AM

Going to a bike shop to have your bars tightened is like going to a guitar shop and having your guitar tuned.

|

5/10/2019 4:41 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/10/2019 4:43 AM

BigMeanPunk wrote:

Going to a bike shop to have your bars tightened is like going to a guitar shop and having your guitar tuned.

I can work on mostly everything myself but I got frustrated that they kept slipping so the people at fit told me to take it to the shop and let us know what they say. They’re good right now but I bought a Park tool Allen key for more leverage. I don’t like going there to much either but I don’t like doing super technical stuff or some bolts I’m having trouble taking off or tightening

|

5/10/2019 6:34 AM

Threads like this always make me think "how drunk and high could I be and still pull off normal activities"

The answer is usually very.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

5/10/2019 10:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/10/2019 10:34 AM

I already got a park tool Allen key and I learned life’s easier if I take the front wheel off for the bars but thanks for the help

|