Anyone else hate installing handlebars?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/7/2019 7:21 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/7/2019 7:25 AM

Had to rebuild my bike yesterday hate doing the bars because can’t get them back to where they were and it’s a pain tightening them without it moving, when I finished I rode and my bars moved again and realized my stem bolts are stripped. Can’t ride until I get new ones in the mail. Great

|

5/7/2019 7:33 AM

I put witness marks on my bars and stem. If they move I can easily get them back where I want them. If I take the bars off I can put them back on and line them up instantly.

|

5/7/2019 7:34 AM

Use a perm. marker and make marks between your handlebar and stem. Then, when you are sure they are set, use a cleaner to remove the mark. If you don't care about the mark, use a paint pet or an awl to scratch the stem and bars.

|

5/7/2019 8:27 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/7/2019 8:28 AM

BillyBigRigger wrote:

I put witness marks on my bars and stem. If they move I can easily get them back where I want them. If I take the bars off I can put them back on and line them up instantly.

Can you send a picture I don’t know where to put them?

|

5/7/2019 9:07 AM

BillyBigRigger wrote:

orangebmx907 wrote:

Just put a mark on the top of the bar next to the stem and a mark on the side of the stem cap that lines up with the mark on the bar.

|

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/_eli.173_/
Bike Check - Coming Soon!
Refs - dikdiamond

5/7/2019 11:39 AM

Not as much as I hate putting on tires that don't like to fit the rim.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

5/7/2019 11:51 AM

readybmxer wrote:

Not as much as I hate putting on tires that don't like to fit the rim.

2 screw drivers and curse words help

|

5/7/2019 11:53 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/7/2019 11:54 AM

BillyBigRigger wrote:

orangebmx907 wrote:

Eli 173 wrote:

Just put a mark on the top of the bar next to the stem and a mark on the side of the stem cap that lines up with the mark on the bar.

I must be dumb or something but I have no clue how that’s gonna help me align them lol send me a picture or something and I’ll get a rough idea other wise I have no clue

|

5/7/2019 1:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/7/2019 1:51 PM

orangebmx907 wrote:

I must be dumb or something but I have no clue how that’s gonna help me align them lol send me a picture or something and I’ll get a rough idea other wise I have no clue

Notice how the red marks can be re-aligned if moved?
|

5/7/2019 7:37 PM

Brakes are worse

|

fack off

5/7/2019 7:51 PM

orangebmx907 wrote:

2 screw drivers and curse words help

Naw fam, ripped tubes and scratched rims!

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

5/7/2019 8:44 PM

Bryan91 wrote:

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww a holotech

|

Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten

5/7/2019 9:40 PM

is this really that big an issue for some people ?

not being a dick, just a general question... just tighten the bolts up a littttle bit, to where the bars stay put but can be tapped front/back with a tiny bit of force, check and make sure that's where you want them and if not just tap them front/back accordingly, then tighten them up

that's what I've always done

|

5/7/2019 9:58 PM

It’s probably the easiest thing to do on a bike. You literally just tighten 4 bolts

|

5/8/2019 1:44 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

not being a dick, just a general question... just tighten the bolts up a littttle bit, to where the bars stay put but can be tapped front/back with a tiny bit of force, check and make sure that's where you want them and if not just tap them front/back accordingly, then tighten them up

I’ve gotta say, I’m not quite grasping the issue either.

|

5/8/2019 3:14 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/8/2019 3:16 AM

I like to look at the side of my bike and align my bars with the fork, most comfortable set up imo, not too far back nor you're gonna be like Dan Kruk. Also always remember to tighten your bolts diagonally to avoid uneven tightening, that's what causes stripped bolts and snapped bars

|

5/8/2019 5:01 AM

orangebmx907 wrote:

Had to rebuild my bike yesterday hate doing the bars because can’t get them back to where they were and it’s a pain tightening them without it moving, when I finished I rode and my bars moved again and realized my stem bolts are stripped. Can’t ride until I get new ones in the mail. Great

I doubt the bolts are stripped, I would bet it is the threading in your alloy stem.

Check that out first, and know that most hardware stores have the bolts you need for cheap.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/8/2019 7:12 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

I doubt the bolts are stripped, I would bet it is the threading in your alloy stem.

Check that out first, and know that most hardware stores have the bolts you need for cheap.

I also suspected that too and cleaned / checked it out and tried it again and still didn’t work so I emailed fit warranty and they’re sending me a new stem

|

5/8/2019 7:15 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/8/2019 7:15 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Yea it’s not that big of A deal having problems cause my bolts are messed up and don’t wanna tighten but when my new stem and bolts come in i going to invest in a park tool instead of the whole Allen key set. And ill take your advice

|

5/8/2019 7:32 AM

RonnieRawdawg wrote:

Aimpoint ftw!

|

5/8/2019 7:36 AM

orangebmx907 wrote:

Yea it’s not that big of A deal having problems cause my bolts are messed up and don’t wanna tighten but when my new stem and bolts come in i going to invest in a park tool instead of the whole Allen key set. And ill take your advice

Multitools tend to be quite poor quality and irritating to use. Just get a good set of Allen Keys(Wera, PB-Swiss, etc.). They'll likely end up outlasting you and they're so much nicer to use than multitools or cheap, shit Allen keys.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

5/9/2019 6:59 AM

Bryan91 wrote:

RonnieRawdawg wrote:

Bryan91 wrote:

Aimpoint ftw!

Schmidt & Bender pmII for the long range win💥💥

|

5/9/2019 7:01 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

Brakes are worse

yeah its beyond attention to detail, its practically mental torture trying to get the brakes to be of equal distance from the rim on each side, yet pull and make contact with the rim at the same time. Excruciating.

|

5/9/2019 7:06 AM

Welp fit doesn’t wanna send me out a new stem or bolts so I’m going to have to go to the bike shop anyway so they’ll tighten it

|

5/9/2019 7:13 AM

orangebmx907 wrote:

Welp fit doesn’t wanna send me out a new stem or bolts so I’m going to have to go to the bike shop anyway so they’ll tighten it

So you expect fit to send you a new stem and bolts free of charge to replace the ones you messed up? Am I understanding this right? Sheesh. What ever happened to customer service? The audacity.

|

5/9/2019 7:29 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/9/2019 7:34 AM

BillyBigRigger wrote:

So you expect fit to send you a new stem and bolts free of charge to replace the ones you messed up? Am I understanding this right? Sheesh. What ever happened to customer service? The audacity.

Lol it’s not the first time man. When I got the bike out the box Happened to me like 4-5 times after a week brought it to a shop and stayed put and slipped again. One of the customer service emailed me saying if it slips again we will send you a new stem sorry for the inconvience. So they know about the problem for months. And yeah they have a warranty department for a reason. I didn’t spend a large amount of money for a bike that came with messed up spokes and a broken stem out the box. Also, it’s not a free charge I have to pay for shipping.

|

5/9/2019 7:34 AM

orangebmx907 wrote:

BillyBigRigger wrote:

orangebmx907 wrote:

Lol it’s not the first time man. When I got the bike out the box Happened to me like 4-5 times after a week brought it to a shop and stayed put and slipped again. One of the customer service emailed me saying if it slips again we will send you a new stem sorry for the inconvience. So they know about the problem for months. And yeah they have a warranty department for a reason. I didn’t spend a large amount of money for a bike that came with messed up spokes and a broken stem out the box. Also, it’s not a free charge I have to pay for shipping.

Technically, by building the bike yourself you voided all warranty. You may very well have fucked it up yourself. And bars slipping is an easy fix, unless the bars are crushed (caused by over tightening the bolts).

|

5/9/2019 8:24 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/9/2019 8:26 AM

.pegless. wrote:

Technically, by building the bike yourself you voided all warranty. You may very well have fucked it up yourself. And bars slipping is an easy fix, unless the bars are crushed (caused by over tightening the bolts).

I’ve built a bunch of bikes my self but I doubt it but I’ll see what the shop says today and besides couple months ago I brought it to the shop they said the bars were fine and tightened it again for me and haven’t slipped again until now and now the bolts are not being tightened as easily and slips every time

|

5/9/2019 4:24 PM

orangebmx907 wrote:

Bryan91 wrote:

RonnieRawdawg wrote:

Vortex for me. I'm a cheap ass and vortex has a great warranty.

|

5/9/2019 5:07 PM

Hey vital is it a good idea to sand the knarlings on the part of the handle bar where the stem goes on?

|