Anyone else with a 44" Tree Cable?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/8/2014 1:45 PM

Just wondering if anyone has picked one up. I was under the impression it could be installed without cutting anything. I take it out, go to put it on, and the inner cable doesn't even reach my cable hanger when it's pulled all the way up.

Not sure if I should deal with returning it or if this is how it's meant to be and I have to cut the housing any way.

|

4/8/2014 3:23 PM

Probably gotta trim the housing.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/8/2014 3:30 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Probably gotta trim the housing.

Yeah, that's what I wanted to avoid, haha. I never manage to get a real clean cut. Oh well. Thanks!

|

4/8/2014 8:03 PM

I didn't have to cut mine. Hooked right up!

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

Refs-brokenbmx, MaximusBikes, Brian_Griffin, Colonydirt94, Aebasher

4/8/2014 9:04 PM

Ricked_Em wrote:

I didn't have to cut mine. Hooked right up!

Photo

Here's a pic. That's as far as I can get the cable, and that's with the cable hanger pulled as far as it can go, even with no wheel in the frame. I think I'm just gonna cut 5" or so from the housing. It's a bit long for my tastes anyway.
|

4/9/2014 6:02 AM

Defective maybe? I put one on a kids bike and the cable went past his seat tube, I dont know why yours is so short? I would email sam (sam@treebicycleco.com) with pics and measurements to clarify.

Also, they are made so you dont have to cut the housing, the cable will need to be trimmed in most cases.

I also own the 50" ones and let me tell you, they do not cut easily. You will have better luck cutting it with a saw than snipping it. If you do decide to snip it, use a really small screw driver to open the hole back up, then thread an old spoke in and back out of the hole. Just trust me on this one! Its a little trick i figured out and works like a charm.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

4/9/2014 7:08 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Defective maybe? I put one on a kids bike and the cable went past his seat tube, I dont know why yours is so short? I would ...more

Yeah, I had the 50" one before and I could barely cut it. Ended up destroying the end of the housing and I couldn't even get the ferrules on haha. But I might try to take a hacksaw to it tonight when I cut my steerer tube or something. I don't think I'll return it because the 44" is still a bit long for my tastes. I like having the smallest amount of cable possible. Thanks dude.

|

4/9/2014 11:09 AM

I always take my linears to a bike shop and have them cut.... I hear dremels work well on linear too...

|

Instagram

Refs:tomdon x4,Xxohioanxx,BigCurn, Don't remember the rest

4/9/2014 3:43 PM

TheBrandonFranke wrote:

I always take my linears to a bike shop and have them cut.... I hear dremels work well on linear too...

I went full ghetto and used a hacksaw. Came out much cleaner than with cutters, just a bit crooked haha.

|

4/10/2014 2:29 AM

Man I use a grinder with a 1mm blade to cut my cable housing's, comes out mucha smooth aye.

|