Anyone ever actually done one of these?

Related:
Create New Tag

3/29/2018 12:35 PM

I see these videos on youtube everywhere nowadays, these videos where they go out and "create a spot"
Has anyone here ever actually done this? As in, rolled up to an abandoned alley or edge of an abandoned lot with a shit ton of sand, mortar, and concrete, and just made something to ride on? It's a cool idea, though I feel like it would be illegal nonetheless you know.
|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

3/29/2018 12:46 PM

HavokDJ wrote:

I see these videos on youtube everywhere nowadays, these videos where they go out and "create a spot"
Has anyone here ever ...more

Diy spots are all over

|

Hmmm

3/29/2018 12:47 PM

Me & my friend went behind a hardware store one night to find a bunch of pallets, bricks, planks, bags of quikcrete, and just a bunch of random stuff had been left outside.

We spent half the night putting random things together, and the other half of the night riding our own personal make-shift skatepark.

Probably one of my best childhood memories as a BMX rider.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

3/29/2018 12:50 PM

Yeah but how would you do it though? Would you just roll up to any property with some quikcrete and bricks and just make a quarterpipe or something? Do cities/law enforcement actually give a shit if you roll up to some empty lot and put some shit there?

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

-jbales on mafiaBIKES

-adamnmexican

3/29/2018 12:56 PM

HavokDJ wrote:

Yeah but how would you do it though? Would you just roll up to any property with some quikcrete and bricks and just make a ...more

Well, it's not illegal if you don't get caught..

You can either

A. Get permission from someone to build on their property.

B. Do it in a location where you feel police won't get called or be able to see it, and hope for the best.

Obviously if you build on someone's property, they will be in charge of how they want it to look, what can be built, & when to tear it out.

If you find an abandoned spot to build at, you leave yourself at risk of getting in legal trouble.

Not easy either way. Takes heart & dedication to come together with people and make such a thing happen, knowing the risks.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

3/29/2018 12:58 PM

HavokDJ wrote:

Yeah but how would you do it though? Would you just roll up to any property with some quikcrete and bricks and just make a ...more

In Trey's case...it's Florida. They don't care or know whats going on ever.

But yeah, a lot of times a more abandoned or disused area is the best place for this. I've done this a few times when I was much younger, and actually there are tons of awesome DIY concrete ledges and things under the Brooklyn/Queens Expressway.

Photo

Photo

Used to go there a lot when I lived down the street.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

3/29/2018 1:02 PM

HavokDJ wrote:

You start with something small like a rail and then add something every now and then until you have a decent spot. You build something big, it'll usually be torn down very quickly but if the owners/locals get used to seeing some small new piece every now and then, it should last a lot longer as they won't notice it as much as say, a 6ft quarter on the first day.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/29/2018 1:21 PM

The guys behind metal pegs on instagram made one during a jam under a bridge in Hackney. It's rad. And the spot in Tottenham is pretty famous and is entirely DIY, I kind of know one of the guys that's behind that too.
Never done it myself, apart from filling gaps on a ledge, and using no nails to stick a bit of angle iron on a ledge years ago (which didn't work too well). But I want to make a sub box on a bank in a tunnel near me.

|

3/29/2018 6:32 PM

Lol after reading this, I came up with the idea if you plan on doing this somewhere somewhat public where people might see you, go to Home Depot, and get one of those orange safety vests and maybe a hard hat like construction workers wear, and wear some old beat up jeans, and most people won't even think twice about what you're doinglaughing

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

3/29/2018 6:57 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Lol after reading this, I came up with the idea if you plan on doing this somewhere somewhat public where people might see ...more

This. laughing

|

3/29/2018 7:19 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Lol after reading this, I came up with the idea if you plan on doing this somewhere somewhat public where people might see ...more

dead goon wrote:

This. laughing

I know, I actually feel this is a good idea, o mean seriously, I probably wouldn't think anything of it if I saw some "construction workers" building some stuff on some property, and also, cops probably wouldn't think anything about it either! I think it's legit a great idea!

|

3/29/2018 7:57 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I know, I actually feel this is a good idea, o mean seriously, I probably wouldn't think anything of it if I saw some ...more

You can do anything with a clipboad, hardhat, and an orange safety vest. It's like a free pass to do anything. I've seen a video where they see how far they can get with one... They got into universal. Just walked right in. No questions asked. It's like a really effective disguise.

|

Ride for yourself and have fun

3/29/2018 8:14 PM

Anthony Loves Subrosa wrote:

You can do anything with a clipboad, hardhat, and an orange safety vest. It's like a free pass to do anything. I've seen a ...more

Yeah I've seen that one where they get into universal as well! Like seriously anyone can be fooled with an orange safety vest, hard hat, clipboard/toolbelt, and just some boots and jeans, like seriously! That's pretty awesome!

|

3/29/2018 8:15 PM

Been doing this for near 10 years now. Pretty much started by making a small quater at my moms home years ago, then taking it to abandoned lots and building from it.

So far Ive been frequenting this unused lot (owner lives close by). Hes completely OK with us building spots there since it keeps the drug addicts off his lot.

Photo

Photo

Theres another project in the works and a bunch more over here. Any help is always appreciated, whether it be manual or financial. But its all worth it.

Some spots we only get to hit for a day before they get knocked down. Thats the nature of it... impermanence.

|

3/30/2018 7:08 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I thought of that too, but I'd be shit out of luck on home depot, the closest one we have is hours away lmao. The best part though is that construction workers around here do a shoddy job (everyone apparently does lol) and so if the job ends up being shoddy, no one will bat an eye. I know where to get construction hats though, those workers just throw them away after each job, and they're finishing up a museum that they are building soon.

|

-Sheldon on Adam22

-jbales on mafiaBIKES

-adamnmexican

3/30/2018 7:14 AM

HavokDJ wrote:

I thought of that too, but I'd be shit out of luck on home depot, the closest one we have is hours away lmao. The best part ...more

There was actually a instructional skate video that shows you how to build spots in disguise. Dude just had a reflective vest, hard hat and a couple orange cones, On another he quik-creted a ledge under one of those blue tarps in an overpass- The police never really disrupt the little homeless tarp forts here in L.A so he just built the whole ledge under the tarp with no one even batting an eye.

|

3/30/2018 7:16 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

HavokDJ wrote:

I thought of that too, but I'd be shit out of luck on home depot, the closest one we have is hours away lmao. The best part ...more

I mean you can go to probably almost anywhere, probably even Walmart... but any hardware store near you should have some....

|

3/30/2018 8:16 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I mean you can go to probably almost anywhere, probably even Walmart... but any hardware store near you should have some....

Probably yeah, though I've never even seen actual clothing anything at Lowes though, I doubt Walmart has any though, Walmart ain't got no good shit for nothing nowadays.

|

-Sheldon on Adam22

-jbales on mafiaBIKES

-adamnmexican

3/30/2018 8:38 AM

HavokDJ wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

HavokDJ wrote:

Probably yeah, though I've never even seen actual clothing anything at Lowes though, I doubt Walmart has any though, Walmart ...more

Or if you can't find anything I mean there's Amazon lol

|

3/30/2018 11:54 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/30/2018 12:00 PM

There are concrete lips and trannies all over my neighborhood, mostly in ditches. There's one ditch about a block away with perfect banks to wall/ledge, I've been drawing plans for a while. It might end up being a wooden tranny to wall. I wanna go all out on it but there's lots of dog walkers who pass through the area.

Walmart should have vests n stuff back by the soccer balls.

|

In midschool bike rides you.

3/30/2018 1:36 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

There was a ruben Alcantara edit where he made a little dirt lip on a bank. It was on a high traffic street. He had a vest, hardhat, and a foldout construction sign if I remember correctly. Nobody bothered him, and he built a sweet gap. Ever since then, I have wanted to do the same in disguise. It appeared to work very well for him. If anyone remembers the edit, please post it.

|

4/2/2018 2:33 AM

Yeah I don’t know what kinda neighborhoods you guys live in.....but i’d just like to be a “reality check” here and say: concreting a transition on anything that isn’t abandoned and/or out of sight - is guaranteed to cause some blow back. And that could be the cops investigating the next day or it could be the owner opening a can of whoop-ass on anybody he sees riding it.
Sure if your short sighted enough you can roll up to plenty of places in the middle of the night and quikrete up Anything. But unless you live in Detroit, or some other place full of abandoned properties- it is short sighted and impractical.
And I know places like Burnside skatepark here in Portland have become the stuff of concrete poaching legend, for dudes building a full on skatepark in the 90’s under a bridge without any permission- basically in downtown PDX. But that would be a miracle by today’s standards. And here’s a good story for you—- there was that abandoned rail yard building in North Portland too that people quikreted a bunch of transitions that was Pretty cool too -for a little while ......until the hobos started sleeping there and stabbing people with syringes. unsure And that is no joke. It got so bad that even if you went there with 10 people - the 4 or 5 junkie hobos would come out swinging syringes and chase people out. Eventually the cops got involved- and with owners of the railyard were forced to demolish the building for being a nuisance.
Just choose your places wisely

|

4/2/2018 10:49 AM

We have one locally, there have been a handful around the area.

Sometimes they go unnoticed, sometimes not.

If we move to a new property and there is not space for dirt jumps etc, I want to try to con the wife into letting me buy land somewhere to build trails/stuff. I am just hopeful we can find a property with land or at least a decent sized shed I can put a mini ramp in.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/3/2018 5:26 AM

How many of you guys "scavenge" materials to build stuff? I've been involved with some scavenging of materials to make a 3/4 bowl in a garage, quarters, boxes and all kinds of stuff.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura