Anyone ever helicoiled stem pinch bolt holes?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/19/2013 4:32 PM

Basically what the title says. I have a S&M Redneck LT that both pinch bolt holes the threads have been pulled. Anyone thats tried it, did it hold without slipping or pulling the threads again?

|

9/19/2013 5:38 PM

The only issue would be in making sure there's enough meat on the aft end of the stem so you can. I have seen some too thin, and others would work just fine. And, believe it or not, the heli coil threads, when done correctly, are actually stronger than the originals, esp in aluminum.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

9/20/2013 8:15 AM

Try tapping the correct threads back in to it. If that doesnt do it, tap it a size bigger.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

9/20/2013 8:19 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Try tapping the correct threads back in to it. If that doesnt do it, tap it a size bigger.

It is unlikely that he'll be able to tap the original size back in. Helicoiling is very easy to do IMO and stronger.

|

9/20/2013 8:47 AM

i did helicoil and it pulled right back out but it doesnt hurt to try.

|

Deviant BMX store
Shirts and Iphone cases available soon! Check site for details!

9/20/2013 9:56 AM

DeviantBMX123 wrote:

i did helicoil and it pulled right back out but it doesnt hurt to try.

Did you try it on the pinch bolts or the cap bolts?
Im thinking since its not the cap bolts it hopefully wont have as much stress on it but........
I thought about going slightly bigger thread size but then I need to find an allen head bolt that will still fit without taking too much off the stem.
So far the stem has been a good paper weight though. smile

|

9/20/2013 10:30 AM

pinch bolts. i tightened them ran it for a week and i had to take it off for something and the coil pulled straight out....

|

Deviant BMX store
Shirts and Iphone cases available soon! Check site for details!

9/20/2013 10:47 AM

DeviantBMX123 wrote:

pinch bolts. i tightened them ran it for a week and i had to take it off for something and the coil pulled straight out....

Hmmmm, ok. Thats kind of why I hadn't tried it. But I have seen them used in other heavy machinery and automotive uses and they hold so I guess the only way to be sure is try it and see.
I appreciate all the input and previous experiences offered so far. I actually expected a response of just go buy a new stem. Haha!
I have many others just thought this would be a test part if nothing else. Its been collecting dust for a couple years now.

|

9/20/2013 8:03 PM

Put some green(permanent) or red(semi-permanent) loctite on the heli-coil when you thread it in, not the bolt though. I've done that a few times on MX bikes, seems to work for me.

|

9/20/2013 8:50 PM

stems are cheap enough im not sure if its even worth fucking with. i hate messing with helicoils.

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em