Anyone ever separated their shoulder?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/28/2020 10:40 AM

Took a nasty bail got a grade 2 AC joint tear. Doctor said its not worth surgery but its been like 3 weeks now and I still have a bit of bruising and limited range of motion. Did some research online and a lot of people say the clicking and weakness never really goes away. Anyone else ever tore their AC and live to ride another day?

|

1/28/2020 10:57 AM

yes, three times total. twice my left shoulder riding/racing BMX. Once wrestling on my right.

you'll be fine... takes a while. Do the rehab stuff. Also, see a sports doctor if you aren't.

|

1/28/2020 12:46 PM

yep. grade 4.5

no surgery. works just fine now.

it takes time to heal. do the PT and don't over do it.

|

1/28/2020 2:47 PM

Thanks guys, got any tips as to PT? I don't really have the guap to see actual therapists, maybe some stuff I can do at home.

|

1/30/2020 11:00 AM

Yes, and the ER doc who had been doing his job for like 20+ years said it was the worst he had ever seen, I recall he called it a grade 5 (this was also 2004-so things might have been ranked differently).

No surgery ever on it. I was stupid and figured out how to ride before I was supposed to be out of a sling. I took it easy but a few weeks after I was riding to full skills back then-but I couldn't lay or sleep on my right side for very long for about 10 years. I did ZERO PT-they didn't even discuss it at the ER I went to. I chipped a molar and had a concussion too, but none of that was addressed at all.

Still clicks a bunch, collarbone still sticks up too. Every once in a while it hurts, but it is fine now.

I did find out 8 years after the fact, that the crash also fractured 3 of my vertebrae between my shoulder blades, so that was neat.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/30/2020 6:11 PM

I still havent got an mri on it but I tore something in my right shoulder. Been over 3 months and it just doesnt feel like the pain/weakness is goin away. I went to physical therapy for it. I have been exercising my shoulder and it persists. Makes trying 360's hurt after a while for some reason and it kinda gives up in some positions.

Doesnt seem to affect most of the tricks I like to do too much though...idk hope it gets better.

|

1/31/2020 5:43 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

I still havent got an mri on it but I tore something in my right shoulder. Been over 3 months and it just doesnt feel like the pain/weakness is goin away. I went to physical therapy for it. I have been exercising my shoulder and it persists. Makes trying 360's hurt after a while for some reason and it kinda gives up in some positions.

Doesnt seem to affect most of the tricks I like to do too much though...idk hope it gets better.

3 months warrants a MRI. Doubt its a shoulder separation as 3 months you'd be good or you'd of already been to the doctor from all the clunking in you collarbone and Tee pee on top of your shoulder.

|

1/31/2020 8:32 AM

That's one injury I was thankful I never endured. I played football growing up. And mostly defense. There was a time I felt like my right shoulder got "rearranged" though. Looked lower after a big hit. I don't have any issues now. My ankles are where I have clicking and popping and acheyness every night from a work injury. Some shtuff just doesn't go away.

I hope it feels better soon though. I would imagine with time it will heal to a degree. But I do think it's probably wise to do some PT stuff. I think if you don't overdue exercises and strengthen the muscles around the shoulder it will keep things in place better.

My wife recently had awful leg and back pain for about a month and it was an ordeal. She was out of work for like a week it was so painful. And the PT seemed like it was thing that helped the most.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus.

1/31/2020 10:17 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/31/2020 10:20 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

jmz313 wrote:

3 months warrants a MRI. Doubt its a shoulder separation as 3 months you'd be good or you'd of already been to the doctor from all the clunking in you collarbone and Tee pee on top of your shoulder.

Ya, shit hurts. Real tender on the top of the shoulder where the collar bone ends and a few other areas too...

Very crunchy feeling whe i rotate the socket.

Thank you for the advice.

|

1/31/2020 10:57 AM

falloftroy20 wrote:

Thanks guys, got any tips as to PT? I don't really have the guap to see actual therapists, maybe some stuff I can do at home.

I have basically no labrum in either shoulder and have torn both rotators enough times that I can consciously sublux my shoulders like people snap their fingers. Fortunately, my AC joints are just arthritic :-/ I still press heavy overhead - though I can't bench press

Start trying to get a full range of motion overhead, then load that with the overhead barbell press. Start out super light with super high reps a few days a week and add weight. If your ac joint screams, back off. Expect it to be uncomfortable though. If an empty olympic barbell is heavy enough to irritate it, start with dumbbells. The barbell will be nice though because you can take it from the rack. Cleaning or curling weight into a press position can be hell on your AC joints.

Good luck man. I hope you heal well. Worst case, try getting a full range of motion going everyday for a few minutes and nature will take it's course and have you feeling better in a few months.

|

1/31/2020 11:52 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I have started some simple exercises and basically have full range of motion without too much discomfort. When I try anything with some weight though the weakness and pain really lets itself be known. So I think I'll stick to light range of motion exercises for a few weeks before I start piling on the weight. I didn't think tearing a ligament in the shoulder would be this severe to be honest, I've fractured my collarbone in the past and even that healed quicker.

|

2/1/2020 10:30 AM

Sounds like you're headed in the right direction.

But not to be a downer but if you did in fact "tear" your ligament, I'm not sure it will just fix itself. A broken bone will heal over with time. But I'm not sure a ligament will repair itself in the same type of way a bone heals itself. It's my understand that ligaments might need some kind of help from a doc to fix them if torn. I suppose it depends on the extent of the tear.

Maybe someone with more doctoring knowledge can confirm or deny that.....

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus.

2/1/2020 5:12 PM

Fortyseven wrote:

Sounds like you're headed in the right direction.

But not to be a downer but if you did in fact "tear" your ligament, I'm not sure it will just fix itself. A broken bone will heal over with time. But I'm not sure a ligament will repair itself in the same type of way a bone heals itself. It's my understand that ligaments might need some kind of help from a doc to fix them if torn. I suppose it depends on the extent of the tear.

Maybe someone with more doctoring knowledge can confirm or deny that.....

its definitely not torn all the way through, doc confirmed. even if it was ac joints rarely require surgery, at least this is what I was told. Physical therapy and icing are helping loads I feel like I'll be back on the bike in a week or two. Really appreciate the help from this thread

|