Anyone know what this bottom bracket sound is?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/4/2018 3:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/4/2018 3:33 PM

Hey guys! I got my new cranks the other day, Fit Indent 24mm cranks, and the bottom bracket sounds pretty rough, it's new, and I did add more grease to it... maybe it's just breaking in??? I'm not sure as I can't recall having other bottom brackets sound like this... but any input will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!smile

Here's a video of the sound,

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

5/4/2018 3:43 PM

My brother says it sounds wicked dry..like there's no grease in the bearings. How'd you install them?

|

5/4/2018 4:10 PM

could it be that the inner races or the bb spacer are slightly loose on the cranks and they are sliding? bearings that work and have grease shouldnt sound like that.

How tight have you had the cranks? i see they spin very freely, maybe try tightening them down loads and then loosening them off as much as you want them, if you have the bb spacer it shouldnt hurt the bearings, just snug then up aghainst the spacer.

|

Hmmm

5/4/2018 4:53 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

My brother says it sounds wicked dry..like there's no grease in the bearings. How'd you install them?

That exactly what I thought at first! But I added a plethora of gerase on there last night... maybe the grease needs to work its way around in there...

|

5/4/2018 5:06 PM

Is your bearing spacer the right length? It may be too short and there may be lateral force on the bearings.

|

5/4/2018 5:07 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

That exactly what I thought at first! But I added a plethora of gerase on there last night... maybe the grease needs to work ...more

If the sound began after adding the grease, you could have had a bad reaction between the grease already in the bearings and the new stuff. Some of the soaps(thickeners) used in grease can react badly with one another and form little "stones".

How old is the BB? I find my BB sounds like that after a few months of big drops.

Is the spacer the right length? If it's too short, the balls run on the side of the race more than the centre, quickly push the grease out from under them and end up running dry. The same thing happens if it's slightly too long and the bearings are fully seated.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

5/4/2018 5:07 PM

jbales wrote:

Is your bearing spacer the right length? It may be too short and there may be lateral force on the bearings.

Nah man the bearing spacer thingy is in there...

|

5/4/2018 5:12 PM

jbales wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

But is it the right length?

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

5/4/2018 5:16 PM

jbales wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

Yeah its the right length, I mean, it's VERY SLIGHTLY shorter than the two bearings are apart, it moves around a little when the spindle is not in there, I don't think that'd be a problem, right?

|

5/4/2018 5:21 PM

lol I literally thought you were just blowin air on the mic at first. Check the spacer; is it jammed in there or able to move around. That sounds similar to when I added the same fit cranks to my Benny L frame. The BBs were both touching the spacer in between so it was like jammed in there. I just carefully removed them and re-inserted them with my crank installer from profile and it was fine. After that I no longer use a rubber mallet to install BBs.

|

"STREET" all day, ere'day.

5/4/2018 5:24 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Yeah its the right length, I mean, it's VERY SLIGHTLY shorter than the two bearings are apart, it moves around a little when ...more

With no tension on the bearings, the spacer should be able to move up and down but not side to side.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

5/4/2018 6:18 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Yeah its the right length, I mean, it's VERY SLIGHTLY shorter than the two bearings are apart, it moves around a little when ...more

I'd say even as little as 1mm too short isn't ideal.

|

5/4/2018 6:23 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I'm reasonably sure that the spacer shouldnt be able to move around at all since the bearings press on it. It should be like one closed tube from one bearing to the other and hard to move.

|

5/4/2018 6:40 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

jbales wrote:

I'd say even as little as 1mm too short isn't ideal.

1mm is pretty big in terms of bearing life.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

5/4/2018 6:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/4/2018 6:47 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Super-Pawl wrote:

I'm reasonably sure that the spacer shouldnt be able to move around at all since the bearings press on it. It should be like ...more

Nope. That means the inner race of the bearing is being pushed outwards by the tube because it's too long, which is just as bad as crushing them. Ideally, you should be able to move it up and down in the shell with your finger very easily but it shouldn't really able to move by itself.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

5/4/2018 6:51 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Nope. That means the inner race of the bearing is being pushed outwards by the tube because it's too long, which is just as ...more

It wont crush them outwards since literally all compression force is on the inner race of the bearing. None of it should be transferred to the ball bearings this way.

|

5/4/2018 6:59 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

I'm reasonably sure that the spacer shouldnt be able to move around at all since the bearings press on it. It should be like ...more

p1p1092 wrote:

Nope. That means the inner race of the bearing is being pushed outwards by the tube because it's too long, which is just as ...more

Super-Pawl wrote:

It wont crush them outwards since literally all compression force is on the inner race of the bearing. None of it should be ...more

Again, nope. If the tube is tight, it means the inner races of both bearings are being pulled against the tube, with the outer race being slightly inboard of the inner race, meaning they are being compressed, outwards. This misalignment is more than enough to cause premature wear and strange noises, like the one Honda currently has. Any race misalignment or similar condition is hugely detrimental to bearing life, in any application.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

5/4/2018 7:11 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Again, nope. If the tube is tight, it means the inner races of both bearings are being pulled against the tube, with the outer ...more

I'm having a hard time understanding what you're saying sorry I got up like 20 hours ago. If the spacer inside is appropriately sized to be exactly the same as the inner bearing races, why would compressing what is essentially a tube (a very strong shape from one end to the other) be detrimental to bearing life? The way I see it, there should be no compression to the outer races at all in relation to the inner races.

When you tighten crank bolts down, it compresses the inner races (which don't actually end up moving anywhere because there's a spacer there). So you get tight cranks as well as free-to-spin bearings that aren't being compressed in such a way that the ball bearings aren't crushing against one side because the outer races aren't moving.

What would the point of a spacer be if it allowed compression of the inner bottom bracket races inwards while the outer races stayed put? This would cause the bearings to wear. It's not like any outward forces are being applied by the spacer unless you somehow hammered in a bottom bracket around the outside races and hammered them in further than what the spacer will allow, causing it to be tight and pushing outward. Using a nice bearing press (like the one I just posted about) will keep that from happening. I'm not trying to be argumentative I just don't see where you are coming from.

|

5/4/2018 7:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/5/2018 9:28 AM

Super-Pawl wrote:

It wont crush them outwards since literally all compression force is on the inner race of the bearing. None of it should be ...more

p1p1092 wrote:

Again, nope. If the tube is tight, it means the inner races of both bearings are being pulled against the tube, with the outer ...more

Super-Pawl wrote:

I'm having a hard time understanding what you're saying sorry I got up like 20 hours ago. If the spacer inside is ...more

No worries, man. I'm actually in the same boat: I was up at 4am for work and it's now 3am. laughing

An appropriately sized BB spacer will prevent the inner races from moving inwards when you tighten the cranks without forcing them outwards. If the tube spacer is tight, to the point where it's hard to move, it means that the inner races of the bearings are being pushed outwards along the spindle at all times. You said it exactly in your last paragraph; I'm assuming that his bearings were hammered in because let's face it, that's exactly how most people put them in.

Hope that clears it up for you. Apologies for any confusion; I've had a very long day.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

5/4/2018 7:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/4/2018 7:34 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

No worries, man. I'm actually in the same boat: I was up at 4am for work and it's now 3am. laughing

An appropriately sized BB spacer ...more

There we go, lol I was talking about installation with a press. I suspected that's where the disconnect came from. No issues!

|

5/5/2018 4:28 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Hey guys! I got my new cranks the other day, Fit Indent 24mm cranks, and the bottom bracket sounds pretty rough, it's new, and ...more

Needs grease. Use a razor blade and remove the dust cover on 1 side of the bearing. You can leave the bearings in or take them out. It’s easier if you remove them. Then if you mess up the seal you just put the messed up side facing into the frame. Anyway...

Once you take the seal off get some kind of degrease spray (carbarator cleaner is good and cheap) and some rags. Spray a good amount of the degreaser into the bearings ( one side at a time) and then lean the BB toward the ground and let it run out. Whipe it all out, a little bit will not cause a problem if you don’t get it out. Now just like unsealed bearings pack some grease in. Any will do but marine grease for boats or lithium are best. Spin the bearings around for like 1-2min to really work the grease in. Pop the cover back on and whipe off the grease that pushes out. Replace them in your frame unless you didn’t take them out. Then double check to be sure the cranks are not too tight. Most cranks have a tourque setting and that’s all you need. Check online for it if it isn’t listed on the cranks box (if you have it still). Trust me it’s a huge difference between the exact rating and just cranking down a wrench

|

5/5/2018 5:53 PM

Gack2000 wrote:

Needs grease. Use a razor blade and remove the dust cover on 1 side of the bearing. You can leave the bearings in or take them ...more

Torque specs, on a non-race BMX part? What is this madness?

He did say he'd already regreased it but he probably just piled more grease on top of the old stuff. Removing the old stuff is a good idea.

PS. For anyone who uses carburettor cleaner as a degreaser, be careful with it. Some brands of it will mess up your seals and remove paint.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

5/5/2018 9:54 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Hey guys! I got my new cranks the other day, Fit Indent 24mm cranks, and the bottom bracket sounds pretty rough, it's new, and ...more

Gack2000 wrote:

Needs grease. Use a razor blade and remove the dust cover on 1 side of the bearing. You can leave the bearings in or take them ...more

p1p1092 wrote:

He did say he'd already regreased it but he probably just piled ...more

I know what you mean but I started doing it recently after riding over 30yrs and my bike is so smooth. And useing torque specs is the only thing I changed lol

|

5/6/2018 11:46 AM

Gack2000 wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

He did say he'd already regreased it but he probably just piled ...more

Gack2000 wrote:

I know what you mean but I started doing it recently after riding over 30yrs and my bike is so smooth. And useing torque specs ...more

I actually use torque specs on everything as well. tongue It's a habit I've picked up from working in the power/renewable energy industry where anything not torqued to spec can vibrate loose/snap and kill someone or cause a machine to explode. So far, it seems to be saving my parts and making them last a bit longer.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

5/7/2018 4:22 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/7/2018 4:23 AM

There's no real danager of having a tube spacer a bit too long axially loading a BB bearing too much. But the mechanical advantage of spindle bolts is plenty to be of detriment when the tube spacer is too short

Ideally you want the tube spacer to be just long enough to prevent both BB bearings from touching the bearing shoulders in your BB (or cup for US BB ) at the same time. You want at least one of the bearings to be just shy of touching

|

5/7/2018 4:30 AM

As for the OP, the bearings do sound dry, assuming nothing is rubbing (like a conical spacer on BB shell). Being that these are custom bearings (and not off the shelf) they are likely made in small batches where the quality control is under more pressure to be laxer, and made in China or Russia to help negate the cost of small batches of custom bearings

|