Anyone own a stranger ballast evo?? How’s it feel?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/17/2020 1:41 AM

Was wondering about getting a stranger ballast evo don’t see many reviews on it seeing if someone has owned 1.

|

12/17/2020 1:43 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/17/2020 1:45 AM

Pictures wasn’t working

|

12/17/2020 1:44 AM

Dylandiaz wrote:

Pictures wasn’t working

Photo
|

12/17/2020 2:39 AM

I'd imagine it rides like any other frame with the same geometry. The tapered headtube would probably just make replacing forks and/or headsets a pain though because you need 2 different headset bearings.

|

12/17/2020 4:20 AM

Funny how NO ONE lost it on the tapered headtube on a Stranger, but tons of hate when WTP toyed with it a couple years ago...

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/17/2020 5:21 AM

theres a local racer who makes his own frames who did this on his race bike

but for freestyle i feel like if you care at all about geometry, unless the combo has the exact geo you want, you are severely limiting yourself on options

|

12/17/2020 5:31 AM

What could possibly be good about a tapered head tube?

|

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult: Seneca

12/17/2020 6:27 AM

I hate Stranger.

|

Husky Nation Member

12/17/2020 10:52 AM

Lame ass idea imo. Just pick up a frame with similar geo and any fork and it’ll probably be the same price if not cheaper

|

smile

12/17/2020 4:22 PM

You can buy a 20.75 f/f on Strangers site for 265.00
During black Friday I scooped one up for 225.00 shipped.
The f/f rides like any other frame that I have owned with similar geometry.

Would I have paid full price? No

But 225.00 for a new f/f, I figured why not give it a try.

|

12/17/2020 6:16 PM

rolland bluntz wrote:

The f/f rides ...more

I wouldn’t go too far out of my way to buy stranger stuff but for that price I can’t blame you one bit

|

12/17/2020 6:26 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Serious question^

|

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult: Seneca

12/17/2020 8:51 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Serious question^

supposedly stiffer front end

|

12/17/2020 11:39 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Serious question^

I’ve had many buddies break forks there, but if you strength one spot you possibly weaken others, i person dont ride hard enough to break or do something to my frame/fork but want to try a different pair of forks because I’m stuck on 13mm offset and 21in top tube at least it will be a bit smaller , still not a flatland set up like I always wanted though. I also ordered it tell y’all how it feels when I get it. Also asked someone how it felt they said super comfortable highly recommended the frame set.

|

12/18/2020 1:15 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Serious question^

Dylandiaz wrote:

I’ve had many buddies break forks there, but if you strength one spot you possibly weaken others, i person dont ride hard ...more

Exactly this. Forks don’t often break there unless they’re a bit shit (with a one piece steerer, they really shouldn’t be breaking at the crown). But somethings got to give.
It works well for mtb where they have 100+mm of bouncy forks, or road bikes where they’re not expected to take impacts

|

12/18/2020 3:44 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Serious question^

lizard_dinger wrote:

but then wouldn't you just be better off with something like WTP's hydroformed gussets? they increase the amount of welding contact on the headtube equating to a stiffer front end. and you have regular sized forks and bearings so less hassle about replacing anything.

|

12/18/2020 4:19 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Stiffer front end, and stronger over all-bearings take more abuse too.

Enough headtube failures happened on the low end of the HT for them to take a piece from MTB. There is more leverage in MTB due to longer forks, raked out geometry and suspension though.

Really the biggest issue currently would be availability of parts. We would need more brands to adopt it before it became a solid choice. But also if you are snapping frames/forks often enough to need something beefier, you either throw your bike, suck at riding, or are so insane/skilled that you should have a deal with a brand.

As to Michaels comment about more welding contact-more weld = more heat affected zone (HAZ) which could actually have the opposite effect on the strength/durability around that gusset-creating a larger failure point if not done carefully and correctly.

At the end of the day, it is nice to see BMX catching up to some of the advancements out there. Since this is a SECOND brand toying with it, I think we will see more.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/18/2020 6:58 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

Stiffer front end, and stronger over all-bearings take more abuse too.

Enough headtube failures happened on the low end of ...more

i see what you mean about more heat affecting it, which makes sense. im quite sure WTP know what they're doing with that gusset style as they've been doing it for years and as far as im aware i haven't seen people bring up problems with it - it just came to mind when mentioning stiffer front ends. as you said if there was more availability for tapered headtube equipment then it would probably work for anyone wanting more strength, but for the average rider most normal frames would last anyway.

|

12/18/2020 1:59 PM

The lack of compatible parts make this one a no go but I salute any BMX company willing to try new stuff.

|

12/18/2020 3:55 PM

This has been a thing in BMX Racing for awhile.

You can still run regular forks on the frame with the help of a 1-1/8” to 1-1/2” crown race. And plenty of race companies make the headsets (some even come with the race iirc.)

Me personally, I think it looks goofy and it doesn’t solve any issues that I have with my BMX - so I’ll pass. Cool to see people innovating BMX parts though.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

12/22/2020 5:03 AM

Came in a pretty small box and looked pretty clean i like the blue Photo
s that stranger does , bottem head tube is thick asf same think with the forks haven’t been able to ride it but it sits nice and feel nice, big change from 13mm primo stance forks, but also decent weight difference I’ll let y’all know when I ride it, still rather want a flatland setup lol someone hook me up with a frame

|

12/22/2020 5:05 AM

|

12/22/2020 5:08 AM

Photo
Photo
First Stranger
|

12/30/2020 8:53 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Serious question^

Dylandiaz wrote:

I’ve had many buddies break forks there, but if you strength one spot you possibly weaken others, i person dont ride hard ...more

The Ballast Evo is a great FF combo. I have put mine through some heavy hits, those forks aren't breaking and by the time they do you'll want a new frame anyway. BI also have not have any problems with the bearings, and I assume that you can get the larger one at a bike shop or mountain bike shop which they're more of. I have it posted on here in my profile. The geometry is perfect and it has all the bells and whistles too. Ics forks, ics rear dropouts w tensioners, integrated seatpost clamp (not a big fan of) and tapered downtube and headtube... definitely recommend it and especially for the sale price.

|

12/30/2020 8:54 PM

rolland bluntz wrote:

The f/f rides ...more

How could anyone pass up that deal...I couldn't, I got 3

|

12/30/2020 8:56 PM

rolland bluntz wrote:

The f/f rides ...more

Burnzy149 wrote:

You have 3???

|

12/31/2020 9:02 AM

rolland bluntz wrote:

The f/f rides ...more

Burnzy149 wrote:

Dylandiaz wrote:

You have 3???

Yeah, I grabbed 2 black ones and a blue one. The one on my vital site I ride and am about to build a purple themed black one and a Nightshade blue one in the coming days/weeks. I'm building for fun so I'll sell them but I'm trying to keep the price under 900 which is hard for a complete

|

12/31/2020 9:46 AM

Da Biker Boy wrote:

The lack of compatible parts make this one a no go but I salute any BMX company willing to try new stuff.

The only non compatible part (singular) is the forks. But if you've seen them, then you know they aren't breaking, at least from any bmx trick. The lower large bearing shouldn't be too difficult to find at any mtb shop. I understand what ur saying but I think it's something new, just like that new Cinema stem. I'm glad you appreciate that part. These are the things that help bmx evolve and make it fun. The more products , the more options we have to individualize our bikes from others.

|

12/31/2020 9:48 AM

And be like every other rider on the street, or try something new? But he makes a point. None of my posts are meant to be negative, just a different perspective.

|

12/31/2020 9:49 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Serious question^

lizard_dinger wrote:

Michael Cranston wrote:

but then wouldn't you just be better off with something like WTP's hydroformed gussets? they increase the amount of welding ...more

Those are 2 different stress points, but good point😁

|