Anyone structure their practice?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/20/2020 5:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/20/2020 5:12 PM

I’m working with limited time during the week and will likely divide my time between flatland and freestyle/basic riding skills. I can’t hop over much more than a curb or manual more than two parking spaces on a 20”. All things need improving and flatland is what I enjoy/aspire to the most.

Does anyone here have any experience or advice on structuring your training? At 36, I’ve been around the block and found that skill learning takes some degree of regimented practice. I don’t have the time I had when I was 20 and find regimented practice rather enjoyable. BMX should be no different from other physical skills but I’d love to get peoples experiences and input.

Thanks

|

1/20/2020 5:19 PM

In the middle of a 6 month Canadian winter , trying to get 30 to 45 minutes a day 5 days a week hitting a diving board to get ready for spring bike riding

|

1/20/2020 6:04 PM

Right now it's if I'm lucky 2 to 3 hours on the weekends and if I'm really really wanting to ride bad I haul ass to a small skatepark after work to ride for 30 minutes before it get's dark. All of this right now in the cold and pending rain/snow. And if it does snow during the week then the skatepark is the last thing to thaw. No indoor skateparks close to me anymore.

|

1/20/2020 9:03 PM

I don’t practice. I ride.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

1/20/2020 9:03 PM

I sometimes go out with the intention of hopping over stuff as high as I can or hitting grinds on one ledge for a session, but mostly I just wing it.

When I used to ride a bit of flatland I was more regimented in really trying to nail one trick or combo for an hour or two. I found that far less fun though. Whatever floats your BMX boat...

|

1/20/2020 9:25 PM

At first I kinda did that like oh I'm gonna go work on 180s for 20 minutes, and as I got better I just went and rode. Sometimes I'll go out and ride with a particular trick like right now pedal grinds, so I'll work on those some then ride whatever or just mix it up working on one trick doing a lap then coming back to that trick. I usually just try to do what sound fun at the moment.

|

1/21/2020 4:16 AM

Nope. I just ride when I can and have as much fun as I can.

In my experience, time on the bike unhappy/bored/forced is time that you won't get much done.

The most structured I get is either working back up to stuff I used to do all the time (2 kids, 2 jobs, a house etc take up time) or when I want to land something and I have to try it a bunch to get it.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/21/2020 1:28 PM

I hate winter. I ride probably 3 times a month for a couple hours from november to april, but in the summer I ride 20-40 hours a month since i can ride most days and not have my face freeze off. But its good that i have winter cause riding in a warm place year round would get old after a while

|

I like riding my bike.

1/21/2020 2:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/21/2020 2:54 PM

I completely read that wrong, just ride. It's fun. You'll get better at it the more you do it but as Dave mentioned you won't do much with structure.

I structure my chores, get that shit done right quick. More time for me time.

|

1/21/2020 7:00 PM

I'm right there with you. Never used to see riding as practice, just go ride. But now time on the bike is limited. I get to the skate park a few times a year and riding street in the suburbs is a joke, so I've been spending a lot more time practicing flatland. It definitely needs more structure, you have to do the same thing a million times just to get 1% better. And did they mention balance declines after 40?

I treat riding as part of a weekly workout schedule, weather permitting. An hour of riding is at least as good as an hour at the gym. I mostly cycle through tricks based on how tired I am: Warm up is stuff I've done forever, then focus on what I want to get better at till I'm too tired to pull it, then do some basic balance or transition work until I'm exhausted. Rest rinse repeat, maybe a couple times a week if I'm lucky. It's never really structured like 10 minutes on this 10 minutes on that, it's random within loose blocks of time. If I'm sore the next day, I target those muscle groups at the gym all week. For the off season, I can't really ride much so I've been doing isometrics and balance work in addition to lifting, hoping to get a bit more control come spring thaw.

The best part is I no longer get as pissed when I can't pull something, cuz everything's just part of the process. Maybe I can't pull it yet today, but at least I'm better than I was yesterday.

|

Remember when you could ride all day and not be sore for a week?

1/21/2020 7:55 PM

If the training mindset motivates you, cool. Set a side 3 hours a week and report back after you can bunny hop to manual a curb at least 40 ft.

If this sounds like nonsense, just make a point to ride your bike once a week and have fun. All the skills you seek will arrive the more fun you have.

|

1/21/2020 9:38 PM

Nope, not I. I ride to get away from the day-to-day routine, so I'd personally never have a schedule-type thing for riding, but more power to you if ya do.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

1/22/2020 6:54 AM

Sometimes I have a light plan in mind of what I would like to focus on. I don't get carried away with it though. If i do learn something new or do something for the first time I will usually do it several times in a row to dial it in. In the past I've even saved notes in my phone of what I learned or worked on during a particular session so I could get back to it the next time. Helps me process what I did that day. I get overwhelmed pretty easily at the skatepark when it's crowded so having a light structure helps me have a more productive session. Lot's of times I just show up and ride without thinking about it though.

|

Licensed Desk Jockey

1/23/2020 7:48 AM

I ride almost every day in the winter cuz my job is seasonal and I'll admit there's days when I'm bored of doing the same tricks and lines and not as motivated (usually because you're limited to riding the same one or 2 spots near you where there's no snow or wind and you're alone cuz winter).
When I feel bored like that, I pick a trick I'm trying to learn and try it until I pull it once (often I don't even pull it). If it's one that I'm better at, I'll stick at it until I pull 3 clean, or 10 in a row etc just to build confidence and finesse.
If you make a point to not allow yourself to do anything else until you pull it, then it really forces you to figure it out. I usually end up real sweaty even in the snow like this cuz it makes you work and it can turn a bleh session really motivating and make you want to ride more as you see the progress.
currently working on 3cabs and nose to hops this year.

|

1/23/2020 7:58 AM

The structured thing about my bike riding is the smiles it puts on my face.

|

1/23/2020 7:58 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/23/2020 8:01 AM

I totally do. Years of being a drummer have fashioned me into a routine/repetition machine. I think it also feeds and is driven by my OCD as well...I am more calm if I can scratch that itch.

I will always start a session by doing "laps" around the park/area in sort of a flowy type line...hitting stuff that is automatic, and "reviewing" old stuff. Then I go to jumps and hopping type stuff.After that, I dig into the stuff that I am learning...stuff that I can't do, and hit that for a long time - recently it is fakies and 180's - then I finish with more jumps just cause I like air

I find it to be just as much fun repping the same elements of a trick over and over as it is to "just ride", so I pretty much do both usually, but I find that if I just "noodle" at a session, that I don't feel like I accomplish anything.

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

1/27/2020 1:56 AM

By structure I just practice at my local spots and push to get whatever I am doing bigger, better, and more consistent. Usually I use the nearest plaza/park to learn or relearn stuff that my improving core strength is allowing me to do.

|