Anything that gets on your nerves?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/3/2017 1:38 AM

Is there anything other riders do that gets on your nerves?
My main 2 are correction hops, and the incorrect use of the word "cab"
A cab is a fakie 360, not pivoting 180 on your back wheel to 180. And a fakie 180 is a half cab

|

10/3/2017 3:15 AM

The people at my local who are always filming.
Yes they are my friends but it irritates me when they constantly ask me to film clips for them.
I would rather post one good clip a week than 8 shit ones a day in an Instagram slideshow.
Also the scooter kids have all started youtube channels apparently, last Saturday when i went down there were 3 tripods with cameras on...

|

Hmmm

10/3/2017 3:30 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/3/2017 3:32 AM

Other people:
Snaking/hogging at a park.
People who sneer/look down on others not as good/just learning instead of supporting them.
Parent's who dump their young kid at a skatepark and don't care about skatepark etiquette or leave them unsupervised at a place where injuries are quite possible/likely.

BMX:
Overuse of Spins and grinds. I find watching all the barspins/whips gets a bit tedious.

Personally:
Me being a whuss. Since breaking my collarbone twice in 13 months I am too scared to do half the stuff I did (which wasn't much to begin with!) for fear of upsetting work with another one/losing my job. This is true for the MTB as well which I am just getting into, too scared of a bad slam. It is really starting to annoy me, and seeing my slams (and memory loss/injuries) has put my youngest off BMX. sad

|

10/3/2017 5:27 AM

People who look at you & laugh over the size of your bike. Like "what is that man doing on that little kids bike?!" (as if they've done anything other than look at a bike in 10 years...). Douche bags.

|

10/3/2017 5:50 AM

When someone sends a trick but mid trick rips a fart.

|

10/3/2017 6:10 AM

Barspins.

|

10/3/2017 7:26 AM

Humans...

|

10/3/2017 8:24 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

People who look at you & laugh over the size of your bike. Like "what is that man doing on that little kids bike?!" (as if they've done anything other than look at a bike in 10 years...). Douche bags.

Agreed

|

10/3/2017 8:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/3/2017 8:39 AM

Ramorak wrote:

Other people:
Snaking/hogging at a park.
People who sneer/look down on others not as good/just learning instead of supporting them.
Parent's who dump their young kid at a skatepark and don't care about skatepark etiquette or leave them unsupervised at a place where injuries are quite possible/likely.

BMX:
Overuse of Spins and grinds. I find watching all the barspins/whips gets a bit tedious.

Personally:
Me being a whuss. Since breaking my collarbone twice in 13 months I am too scared to do half the stuff I did (which wasn't much to begin with!) for fear of upsetting work with another one/losing my job. This is true for the MTB as well which I am just getting into, too scared of a bad slam. It is really starting to annoy me, and seeing my slams (and memory loss/injuries) has put my youngest off BMX. sad

Yep, I dislike strongly, elitism.

Just because you have invested more time/money/ whatever does not make you better than anyone. You might be better at riding but you are not better than.

Also agree with the worry of getting hurt. The younger guys I ride with dont yet understand.

Im almost 30 and have been hurt many times, a lot of my life has been spent recovering. I think about it almost everytime before I try something. It puts things into perspective but definitely does not allow me to try what I want, when I want. I have to always tell myself "I will try when I am confident." Sometimes it takes hours, days, sometimes longer.

Most people ask why I started riding bmx this late in life. Asking why risk injury...I always say, its what I want to do so I do it. Isnt that what everyones goal in life is?

I feel a low-risk sedentary lifestyle is almost like slow suicide.

Not that im hopping on board the YOLO train but there is some truth to it. If you sit down at a desk, come home tired and sit down on a couch only to end up laying in bed after a grown mans meal you are not only going to have health complications, youre ASKING for them.

The opposite is high-risk lifestyle which is ASKING for injury as well but you are still using your body, living life, getting out there. This Is what I have always preferred, obviously. Skateboarding, rock climbing, dirtbiking, biking, etc.

There is probably a perfect blend or formula to maximize the fun in life while putting your physical health at less of a risk but I havent discovered it yet. So for now, whats important in my life is having fun on my bike and the adventures to be had. wink

That being said...I still remember how long it takes to recover from injuries before every trick...lol

|

10/3/2017 12:43 PM

People bashing others' bikes or parts with ZERO experience other than what they saw some kid say online.

Flat tires.

Wobbly wheels

Brakes not working

Bearing rattle

Kids cutting me off

Falling

My right elbow after a particularly long session

Not having too many homies to ride with these days (people quit riding or live pretty far now so I ride solo 95% of the time, and I don't really like to be the only "responsible" adult in a sea of teenagers)

No indoor spot locally for winter sessions

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/3/2017 12:47 PM

As far as injuries go, I've been lucky the past few years. I didn't ride for quite a long time due to messed up knees. However, they feel better now I'm riding again. I'm old enough to know I've past my best, do I just do what I find fun and don't stress over riding. I think it's actually made me a much better rider. I see things differently, and I'm certainly more original than I used to be. I wish I still had big balls though! But, at the end of the day, I love bmx, but I don't want turn into a vegetable and not enjoy my son growing up. So messing around doing bump jumps and manuals is enough for me.

I actually like it when someone looks down at me. Whether it's a younger rider at a park that thinks he's better than me. Or an adult judging me for riding bmx. The younger riders might be able to do tailwhips and flairs, but they'll never see the lines I see, or smile like I do. And the other adults are usually so narrow minded they can barely see past their own nose, so they're the ones missing out.

|

10/3/2017 12:49 PM

The winter thing is why i built a small 8x8x4ft quarter in my garage. Its not a whole lot of room but i can practice little tricks and keep on my bike even when its too cold or slippery outside. Plus! For summmer or the warmer days i can open up the garage and have plenty of run up and roll out. Only cost me about 100 dollars for the materials.

I need to fix it though...this is a pic when i first built it. It was raining that day. wink Photo

|

10/3/2017 4:32 PM

Worst thing for me is when I can't get my hops right for whatever reason (sometimes I just can't get the front high enough in time for the pop, other times my legs stay stiff and my back end stays down in a stupid 1 foot pogo stick hop instead of a nice huck and tuck) and this messes with me mentally and sinks my confidence worse than anything else on the bike. I haven't hopped to my satisfaction in two days and it's killing me.

Other than that I've always felt vibing people out is super lame...everyone is at different stages of their riding coming from a different place desiring for whatever reason to devote large amounts of time to the same semi obscure activity so nobody should feel unwelcome. I known it often comes from someone where riding is all they have and thus are defensively protective over preserving the specialness that is their participation in this rad counterculture lifestyle, but still fuck that. I'm already stiff on ramps stop making me nervous with your judging eyes, I'm trying to learn to fly!

|

account here is less about my and more about bike

10/3/2017 4:56 PM

ambisketcherous wrote:

Worst thing for me is when I can't get my hops right for whatever reason (sometimes I just can't get the front high enough in time for the pop, other times my legs stay stiff and my back end stays down in a stupid 1 foot pogo stick hop instead of a nice huck and tuck) and this messes with me mentally and sinks my confidence worse than anything else on the bike. I haven't hopped to my satisfaction in two days and it's killing me.

Other than that I've always felt vibing people out is super lame...everyone is at different stages of their riding coming from a different place desiring for whatever reason to devote large amounts of time to the same semi obscure activity so nobody should feel unwelcome. I known it often comes from someone where riding is all they have and thus are defensively protective over preserving the specialness that is their participation in this rad counterculture lifestyle, but still fuck that. I'm already stiff on ramps stop making me nervous with your judging eyes, I'm trying to learn to fly!

I really like your explination in the second half of your post. smile

I find I hop better when trying to hop onto something. I always mess up when just hopping from a standstill. Well not always but often enough for me to be annoyed by it. I can probably hop up something like 4 stairs but Im usually not confident to try anything more than 3.

|

10/3/2017 5:12 PM

Oh yea, people one-upping others at the spot/park that they do not know. It's different when it is a homie. When it is some random, it's irritating. Usually just ride my way, but sometimes it eggs me on to huck something nuts that I rarely do, just to be that guy.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/3/2017 5:47 PM

Trashing riding spots. Putting their crap like backpacks foot etc on or parking their arses on obstacles. Almost never fails, if there is a nice funbox with a ledge, People will use/ make the ledge their bench and park their arses on it or put their food/ drinks on it, or have their bags on the funbox resting against the ledge.

My pet peeve tho is mainly other riders trashing riding spots.

|

10/3/2017 6:15 PM

Wayne S wrote:

Trashing riding spots. Putting their crap like backpacks foot etc on or parking their arses on obstacles. Almost never fails, if there is a nice funbox with a ledge, People will use/ make the ledge their bench and park their arses on it or put their food/ drinks on it, or have their bags on the funbox resting against the ledge.

My pet peeve tho is mainly other riders trashing riding spots.

Yes, i have lectured teenagers and kids about leaving their trash after they finish. The thing that kills me even more is when people leave or throw trash at a skatepark...a place designed for THEM to have FUN. Its like next level disrespect...

|

10/3/2017 10:02 PM

A fucking lot. I know there will be a lot more I'm missing but I'll list what I can

people who call handicap rails handrails. idk why this irks me so much, maybe cause I used to do the same thing a long time ago and got shit for it. No stairs = not a handrail. Same goes for a little flat rail at a skatepark, not a handrail.

people who talk shit on others riding styles when they're not exactly buttery smooth themselves. there was a douche who used to ride here who'd talk shit on my riding all the time and how sketchy a lot of it is. I know I'm not very smooth at times and a lot of it is sketchy, but he was the most nit-picky bitch ever. my favorite was when he talked shit on my tailwhips (which are goofy and probably won't ever look the best) but everyone I know said they look wild cause of how they're done (humblebragging & name dropping for a second, I rode with thee Van Homan and he complimented them!) so whatever

people who tell you how to do a trick but have no knowledge of how to do that trick to begin with. a friend of mine is notorious for this, I'll be trying something or say I'd like to do this (such as ice pick up a ledge) and he'll just be like "oh well just lean back more, if you lean back more you'll hold the ice and won't drop it" when he can't even ice and that would only cause me to loop out

people who call a rim a fucking hoop, or a whole wheel a rim

|

10/4/2017 12:40 AM

@grumpysteve

But, at the end of the day, I love bmx, but I don't want turn into a vegetable and not enjoy my son growing up. So messing around doing bump jumps and manuals is enough for me.

Great attitude and spot on. I still love doing the small stuff, and I try and focus on more technical tricks instead of ones likely to end up in injury. It doesn't always work though, the tricks I injured myself on were pretty small (fastplant on a 6' quarter and a manual off a 2 foot drop). :/

Often I overthink things, and that can make me very sketchy.

I actually like it when someone looks down at me.

While it does bother me (and I wish it didn't), it is more when I see it happening to others. My friend's son (8 at the time) was very upset when a couple of kids a few years older said he was crap and took the piss after he had only been riding a few weeks.

It took a while before he was open to trying again as he just felt so self-conscious/unwelcome.
|

10/4/2017 4:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/4/2017 4:46 AM

I've noticed that there seems to be a LOT of douche-baggery going on with riders in our sport. Not pros, necessarily. Just everyday guys acting like little punks to the "regular folks" around them wherever they go. Riding up behind someone & hopping into a grind & scaring them. Suddenly hopping up a curb near/in front of kids to scare them. Not moving out of the way or purposefully getting in someone's way "on accident" for a laugh. It's a lot like the punk rock scene of years ago. People basically looking for a fight... or doing shit that could start a fight but against ordinary people who won't start that fight. It's just so cowardly & affects our sport very negatively.

|

10/4/2017 6:45 AM

These stupid fucken 2.4 tires everywhere , anything over 2.25 is slow as fuck and makes riding feel sluggish , it's getting hard to find 1.95 or even 2.1 , I want to ride bmx fast as fuck not turtle speed on a foot tall ledge on retarded tires that feel like they should be on an amphibious car

|

10/4/2017 8:22 AM

People refering to opposite as switch. Kids trying to tell me there is a difference between a bunnyhop and a jhop when in reality there js only one right way to hop and we should just call it a hop. People expecting me to always fix their bikes just because i know how. A few years ago every kid around he called rims "rim walls". Like "i love my odyssey rim wall because it never bends." That one really annoyed me.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

10/4/2017 11:33 AM

Those scooter kids at the skatepark who just stand on the coping of the box to bank chatting to their mates. Move out the way and let me do my 180 disaster ffs
All the kids at my local constantly asking ‘can I go on your bike?’ Or because they’re all scouse 9 year olds ‘giz us a go on Ye bike lad’.

|

An Indian on a small bike

10/4/2017 2:08 PM

eskimojay wrote:

These stupid fucken 2.4 tires everywhere , anything over 2.25 is slow as fuck and makes riding feel sluggish , it's getting hard to find 1.95 or even 2.1 , I want to ride bmx fast as fuck not turtle speed on a foot tall ledge on retarded tires that feel like they should be on an amphibious car

could not agree more on this 2.25 tires all day street riding is gay as fuck go roast some trails or big transitions at the local park/bowl bmx is for being fast and loose

|

trails over rails , fuck scooters , go fast get loose
insta; sheberightmate_

10/4/2017 3:23 PM

^ I ride big , fast trails and I run 2.4 Mainlines.

|

10/4/2017 4:03 PM

eskimojay wrote:

2.1 for life. Animal keeps it OG.

Fat tires just dont grip as well and make your bike bounce like a basketball. I think my main gripe with this trend is that all frames now have to accommodate these huge tires plus everyone loves their short CS and you cant fit anything past a 25t without terrible chain alignment. Even my Bone Deth cant fit much past a 28 and thats a comparatively long frame.

|

10/4/2017 4:05 PM

sheberightmate wrote:

could not agree more on this 2.25 tires all day street riding is gay as fuck go roast some trails or big transitions at the local park/bowl bmx is for being fast and loose

Dont knock on ALL street riding, plenty of it is still fast and cool. Plaza riding is what you're going after.

|

10/4/2017 7:30 PM

Just when other riders, scooters or skaters dont pay attention to other riders or surroundings. I dont care what extreme sport ppl do nor do i judge unless its a joke about scooters, but rule #1 at a park is to not get in ppls lines and always pay attention. Like its natural now for me to look behind while doing fakies

|

10/4/2017 7:35 PM

Shredkink9 wrote:

Just when other riders, scooters or skaters dont pay attention to other riders or surroundings. I dont care what extreme sport ppl do nor do i judge unless its a joke about scooters, but rule #1 at a park is to not get in ppls lines and always pay attention. Like its natural now for me to look behind while doing fakies

Scooter kids make great speed bumps dude , just another obstacle to catch some air off

|

10/4/2017 7:52 PM

Replacing "oppo" with "switch."

Oppo means doing something the opposite of how you normally would, switch means doing a trick switch footed.

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales