Applying at a Bike Shop.

Related:
Create New Tag

7/10/2014 7:11 PM

My local shop, which is now under new management (YAY! They may deal BMX finally), and is hiring. What do i need to do to work here?

I am a pretty good wheel builder. I can make a wheel really well. I know most bicycle maintenance and i could sell a bike. What should i do to make my application better then the next guys?

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

7/10/2014 7:15 PM

Know more about other bikes than just bmx.

I work at a shop too & when I started, I thought it was gonna be a piece of cake and just working on bmx & from time to time, a couple road bikes. It's actually the exact opposite, and when we do work on bmx bikes, they're usually pieces of crap from Wal-Mart. Although we do get a nice one in from time to time to work on.

Basically, study up on gears and stuff about road bikes too. Show that you have some knowledge & are willing to learn more. I knew very little about working on gears/derailleurs, but since I was going to be working on a good amount of them, I eventually learned.

Also maybe state that since you ride bmx, maybe tell them it'll bring more business in since you have friends who ride and will come in and buy stuff. I know several people who never came to the shop I'm at, until I started there.

|

7/10/2014 9:17 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I work at a shop too & when I started, I thought it was gonna be a piece of ...more

Yeah i actually do know a decent amount of stuff about derailers, i rode distance for a long time before BMX. I actually have a Bridgestone 400.

I would love to learn more tbh!! Bikes are always great. No matter what kind.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

7/11/2014 6:22 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/11/2014 6:24 AM

I wouldn't lie to them about knowledge because whoever is going to hire you prob knows a shit ton more than you and can spot BS a mile away. Also, when you ask them questions on how to do things or what tool is used..etc after being hired, they will clearly know.

Just be upfront and honest. Tell them you are eager to learn and a hard worker.
Get a feel for them. If they tell you they have other candidates, your screwed, so throw out the "You can try me out for 90days and if I'm not working out you can let me go" line. This is true even if you didnt offer it up, so your not losing anything..haha Even if you're subpar but doing the work, they will keep you.

Do NOT ask them if you get discounts!! Of course you will... They will think your only gonna work there to get the discounts. that is a question I would stay away from. Instead, ask them if they have any group ride alongs that you could lead(not that it would happen it's just a nice gesture)

I've been around the block a couple of times. Been in the workforce for 18yrs now... never worked at a bike shop, but all companies operate similarly.

|

7/11/2014 6:32 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/11/2014 6:41 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I work at a shop too & when I started, I thought it was gonna be a piece of ...more

This.

I started at a shop only having BMX experience. I was trained at the only shop in the country with a separate training facility, and they trained me. 99% of the bikes you will deal with will be Mountain Bikes, Road bikes and Comfort bikes. Learn about shifters, derailleurs, suspension and other aspects of cycling.
www.bikerumor.com is a solid site for news across most of cycling, same with www.bikeradar.com

Check those out, and learn as much as you can.

ALSO proper use of tools and procedures will help. Study up on www.parktool.com there are LOTS of maintenance procedures etc that will help with shifter/suspension/non-bmx maintenance.

Group rides! A great suggestion! Maybe see if you can set up a group BMX session at a local park (if there is one that allows bikes-Don't do illegal things while repping the shop) and wear a helmet for the group stuff.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura