Are BMX Magazines Still a Thing?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/23/2018 9:42 AM

When I was younger I used to love reading BMX magazines. Now that I'm older and getting back into BMX, I'm wondering...Are there any print magazines left? I can't seem to find anybody who still makes actual magazines. Am I just looking in the wrong places?

What magazines, print or online, would you recommend?

Thanks!

|

Hey, I'm trying!
Instagram

7/23/2018 9:45 AM

youtube kinda killed off magazines with podcasts and shit like that. i think ride bmx still does an e-mag though

|

It’s all bmx

7/23/2018 9:47 AM

Ride bmx still prints a physical magazine, but you have to order it to actually get it, because they don’t do subscriptions.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

7/23/2018 9:48 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

youtube kinda killed off magazines with podcasts and shit like that. i think ride bmx still does an e-mag though

That's what I've noticed. A lot less writing, a lot more videos/talking. There's just something about flipping through pages though, ya know?

|

Hey, I'm trying!
Instagram

7/23/2018 9:51 AM

I found that I got more enjoyment from peoples photography projects/diy zines, it seems more real/less corporate.

Some good ones you can sub to would be

Challenger

Bad Ventures

Maintain

|

Come back with a warrant.

7/23/2018 9:51 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

This isn’t entirely true, if it was, magazines like trasher(skate) would have died too. Bmx isn’t as popular nowadays as it used to be, and bmxicans ususally spend more hours a day practicing than skaters, not to mention that the new generation of kids doesn’t like reading in particular. YouTube contributed but it’s not the only reason.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

-jbales on mafiaBIKES

-adamnmexican

7/23/2018 9:53 AM

HavokDJ wrote:

Ride bmx still prints a physical magazine, but you have to order it to actually get it, because they don’t do subscriptions.

Do you know how to order it? I can't find it on their site and the shop redirects to sourcebmx.com

|

Hey, I'm trying!
Instagram

7/23/2018 9:54 AM

Dad_Im_Pregnant wrote:

I found that I got more enjoyment from peoples photography projects/diy zines, it seems more real/less corporate.

Challenger

Bad Ventures

Maintain

Thanks!

|

Hey, I'm trying!
Instagram

7/23/2018 10:02 AM

HavokDJ wrote:

JoeyJoeJoe wrote:

Do you know how to order it? I can't find it on their site and the shop redirects to sourcebmx.com

Just found out they don’t offer a print magazine anymore, discontinued printing in 2017...

|

-Sheldon on Adam22

-jbales on mafiaBIKES

-adamnmexican

7/23/2018 10:06 AM

I'd say bmx is a lot more popular than it's ever been. But print is dying out in general really.
For anyone in the UK, the central library has some really good zines. I'm a fan of red steps, and challenger

|

7/23/2018 10:15 AM

Dad_Im_Pregnant wrote:

Challenger

Bad Ventures

Maintain

This. I love Challenger. Spoken to Nick a bunch and he's cool

|

7/23/2018 10:18 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

I'd say bmx is a lot more popular than it's ever been. But print is dying out in general really.
For anyone in the UK, the central library has some really good zines. I'm a fan of red steps, and challenger

In the US it’s not really popular at least. Sure, every major city has some riders, but every skatepark is littered with scooters, with occasionally a bike or two.

|

-Sheldon on Adam22

-jbales on mafiaBIKES

-adamnmexican

7/23/2018 10:47 AM

I remember when the latest ride magazine came out,it was a rush to the newsagent to see who got a copy of the whole 3 they ordered in....

Ar the good old days

|

7/23/2018 2:23 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

HavokDJ wrote:

In the US it’s not really popular at least. Sure, every major city has some riders, but every skatepark is littered with scooters, with occasionally a bike or two.

Agree...im usually the only person riding if I go to a skatepark. And very rarely I will see someone riding bmx street. I have seen a total of 4 or 5 in the streets in almost 2 ish year of riding.

|

7/23/2018 3:01 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

HavokDJ wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Agree...im usually the only person riding if I go to a skatepark. And very rarely I will see someone riding bmx street. I have seen a total of 4 or 5 in the streets in almost 2 ish year of riding.

That's crazy. There's a skatepark in nearly every town here, and most villages. And most of them will have a few local Bmxers. It's not like it used to be though, when you'd get stoked and end up talking. If they see a new rider they automatically jump up and start doing tailwhips, just to prove they can or something. There's at least 4 other riders in the town I live in, there's loads in the town I usually ride in. I rarely see anyone ever riding street though!

|

7/23/2018 4:43 PM

I have about 30 - 40 RIDE magazines still. I'm pretty disappointed in the BMX community for letting this happen , but what can you do. I easily got 10 hours of enjoyment from 1 magazine , no lie . I'm actually in 2 of them , but only asking pros questions haha.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

7/23/2018 4:56 PM

Endless Mag!

|

7/23/2018 5:02 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

HavokDJ wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

The US is huge. Bmx is probably more popular here than anywhere else. You guys might just live in dead zones, or you are just missing the riders. I rode street for two years before i met any people to ride with only to find out there were probably 20 other kids in my area riding the same spots as me on a weekly basis and i had just been missing them.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

7/23/2018 5:16 PM

HavokDJ wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

The US is huge. Bmx is probably more popular here than anywhere else. You guys might just live in dead zones, or you are just missing the riders. I rode street for two years before i met any people to ride with only to find out there were probably 20 other kids in my area riding the same spots as me on a weekly basis and i had just been missing them.

I’ve been to most major cities in the south east US and I’ve seen maybe a total of 30-50 bmxers on the streets and in parks.
I’ve seen atleast 10 times that of scooter kids.

|

-Sheldon on Adam22

-jbales on mafiaBIKES

-adamnmexican

7/23/2018 5:22 PM

HavokDJ wrote:

Yes it sucks because after all these years I don’t need every single issue just a couple off and on during the year. But you have to pay for a year to get them

|

7/23/2018 7:08 PM

Ride PA bmx does physical print copies with news, photos, etc, all around PA but good luck getting your hands on one, they sell out pretty quickly. they have a digital release too though
|

7/24/2018 12:08 AM

Dad_Im_Pregnant wrote:

Challenger

Bad Ventures

Maintain

i can recommend the ones you posted!

mark gralla has nice zines
edwin recently dropped his second i guess
sam waller
dirty talk (indonesia)
wuntime zine

the one from ALYK that came with the recent dvd is very nice!

|

IG: @_almost_crook

7/24/2018 6:03 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote: Ride PA bmx does physical print copies with news, photos, etc, all around PA but good luck getting your hands on one, they sell out pretty quickly. they have a digital release too though

Came from PA, but now live in Boston.

From what my buddies are saying, RidePA is more focused on the Eastern side of PA, more stuff coming out of Philly, than western side like Pittsburgh. Like they highlight a couple of their jams they threw, but a lot of the rider spotlight style stuff is mostly Eastern PA. Not sure now, but for a while, even their IG presence was like that.

|

Come back with a warrant.

7/24/2018 3:48 PM

Dad_Im_Pregnant wrote:

Came from PA, but now live in Boston.

From what my buddies are saying, RidePA is more focused on the Eastern side of PA, more stuff coming out of Philly, than western side like Pittsburgh. Like they highlight a couple of their jams they threw, but a lot of the rider spotlight style stuff is mostly Eastern PA. Not sure now, but for a while, even their IG presence was like that.

that seems about right, I'm pretty sure the dude that runs it is in the Philly area so that would make sense. I know occasionally when jams are in like Pittsburgh or something they've given access to the snapchat or something for coverage of it to be posted but yeah

|