Are Freecoasters worth it?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/5/2017 7:14 PM

I might get a coaster for my bike and I believe that it is worth it but I don’t really know. What do you guys think about it

|

10/5/2017 7:47 PM

It's a different beast . They are cool but there are pros & cons. They tend to be less reliable in the long term &, depending on what coaster you get, there's a differing amount of free-play that you won't be used to. Do you have issues with fakies & such now? Why are you wanting a freecoaster?

|

10/5/2017 9:30 PM

Dylandrach wrote:

I might get a coaster for my bike and I believe that it is worth it but I don’t really know. What do you guys think about it

Its weird having that extra play before your drivetrain actually kicks in. Kinda feels like when you have transmission problems with a car. I also use pedal pressure for a lot of things so I am biased.

If you want to mess around with a coaster you can take apart the rear hub of almost any kids bike and if it has coaster brakes, aka pedal brakes, you can just remove the 2 steel friction plates that wedge against the inner shell and boom! You have a freecoaster!

For free if you have a cheapie on hand.

|

10/6/2017 12:01 AM

Do you like turtles or amplitude ? ..... watch pat Casey ride then ask yourself are free coasters worth it ? He’s killing the game right now

|

10/6/2017 12:23 AM

Putting on a coaster will change the feel of your bike lots. Dan Foley has a nice break down video of pros/cons of the two hubs. I also likes Adam LZ's explanation video, too.

What kind of riding do you like?

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

10/6/2017 12:29 AM

If you use it well, you'll love it. It's different for sure. Do you have a brake? I tried a freecoaster and hated it, it made me realise how much I rely on pedal pressure. But, if you've got a brake you can learn to use that instead. If you don't like having a brake I'd suggest using one whilst learning to ride the freecoaster, then take it off.

Just please don't turn into one of those riders that uses it to help you do bad 180's out of tricks. Learn to actually do stuff backwards. Watch Ian schwartz videos on YouTube, he was the best freecoaster rider ever

|

10/6/2017 1:03 AM

no way i would say that the gap is a con.

it is akward the first few days, at least it was for me.
but already on the first day i realized how much i used the pedal pressure the years before, even in situations i didn't know i was using it.

you learn to keep you momentum alive better.
and you get more used to gain speed trough pushing small transitions or banks.

it's kinda like when you first go brakeless, you just get more used to your bikes physics and start ridin smoother imo.

and for sure, nobody likes bitchcranks

|

IG: @_almost_crook

10/6/2017 6:02 AM

It’s scary rolling backwards w/ no pedal pressure for the first week and finding out where the spot is but afterwards I feel that it opens up a lot more possibilities. I used to do 360 and tire taps with my pedal pressure but a month later I could do them and tire taps almost as well with my coaster. It sounds like you are already into it so I’d say definitely give it a shot and if you don’t like it you can always go back. I did the same and I haven’t gone back since.

|

10/6/2017 6:07 AM

I rode all my life on a freecoaster since I started so I'm biased but anyway I do find them more fun and open the door for more tricks I believe. As for freecoasters not being reliable, I can tell you that isnt actually correct, maybe for the freecoasters of back-in-the-day but not of the ones out now. Also there are different types of freecoasters depending on what you ride for example: KHE tends to make freecoasters meant for flatland riding while brands like Sunday, Cult, and Federal make them for street. Freecoasters designed for street riding tend to have stronger internals since they are made with the idea of going through alot of abuse. If you want a freecoaster moderatly priced and is reliable I recommend going with the Sunday Cyclone, I got the Thundercoaster one mine which is pretty much the same thing and its great I've had it for wel over a year and never had to work on it or had issues.

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
I'm Mr. Meeseeks, Looks at me!

10/6/2017 7:00 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/6/2017 7:01 AM

Also this is a super biased perspective, but I hate the sound cassettes make especially on videos.. just a ton click click click that annoys the bejeeezuz outta me. No hate lol... just an opinion on the cassette vs fc debate. :D

|

10/6/2017 7:04 AM

Sean_Goff wrote:

Also this is a super biased perspective, but I hate the sound cassettes make especially on videos.. just a ton click click ...more

Its annoying when youre trying to talk to someome riding right next to you and you have to shout. But personally it soothes me. I even spin my cranks occasionally in the house just to hear that sound.

|

10/6/2017 7:21 AM

Sean_Goff wrote:

Also this is a super biased perspective, but I hate the sound cassettes make especially on videos.. just a ton click click ...more

I also hate when someone pedals backwards a thousand times just to move two feet it's ugly

|

10/6/2017 7:28 AM

Sean_Goff wrote:

Will_Foxhall wrote:

I also hate when someone pedals backwards a thousand times just to move two feet it's ugly

Lol, yup! I’m a huge Dan Foley and Courage Adams fan and both of them have some super dialed backwards manuals but I think they look sooo tedious and awkward compared to the guys who do them on FC without pedaling around to make it happen like it’s a wheelie or something.

|

10/6/2017 7:32 AM

Sean_Goff wrote:

Will_Foxhall wrote:

There are some people that havent yet figured out that to ride backwards with control you can follow the driver instead of outrunning it the whole time you are rolling backwards...

You only have to reverse crank if you need to do an emergency pedal pressure 180 and your dominant foot isnt yet in the right position.

You have a lot more balance for longer if you keep pedal pressure the entire length of the fakie. You can also fight the driver a little bit while rolling backwards to control your speed if you are going a bit to fast.

Most people here probably know this, but for those that dont, now you do! wink

|

10/6/2017 7:39 AM

Definitely worth it. If you like challenging yourself and mixing it up. I put the coaster on, Hated it for a week, told myself i had to give it a month. Pushed through braking some old habits/tendencies while learning a little new bits of bike control....

Now i love the coaster and am a better rider including when on my cassette wheel.

|

10/6/2017 8:12 AM

Sean_Goff wrote:

Will_Foxhall wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

There are some people that havent yet figured out that to ride backwards with control you can follow the driver instead of ...more

Yeah dude. i and most everyone who rides on a Casette know that, but that’s not what I was saying.
Foley and Adams both use their pedal pressure plenty for control to do theirs.
But whether they’re spinning them to correct their position or riding the driver with their legs, it still looks weirder(er) cuz they’re back pedaling.

|

10/6/2017 8:17 AM

Will_Foxhall wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

There are some people that havent yet figured out that to ride backwards with control you can follow the driver instead of ...more

Sean_Goff wrote:

Yeah dude. i and most everyone who rides on a Casette know that, but that’s not what I was saying.
Foley and Adams both use ...more

Oh, I get you. I think it looks kind of strange to ride backwards without moving your legs. Guess its just whatever you are used to.

|

10/6/2017 8:31 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Oh, I get you. I think it looks kind of strange to ride backwards without moving your legs. Guess its just whatever you are ...more

Yeah, it’s super biased lol. Both those riders are ridiculously talented. No hate on them whatsoever. Here’s a clip of each of them from Instagram.
https://instagram.com/p/BVqY3z1hbzf/
https://instagram.com/p/BJabqMrAsW5/

|

10/6/2017 9:27 AM

Love the sound of a profile elite

|

10/6/2017 10:01 AM

Yes it’s definitely worth it. I swap back to a cassette on occasion, but I always find myself going back to the coaster

|

Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen

10/6/2017 10:46 AM

Do you want to back pedal in a fakie?

Do you use pedal pressure for anything?

If you have the cash to make a second wheel, try it and see what you think. BUT ride it for at least a few sessions-maybe a week or so before you decide what you want to do.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/6/2017 11:39 AM

try riding chain-less for a bit.
last week when i snapped my chain i started realising how much i used pedal pressure even when i wasn't doing it consciously.

|

Hmmm