Are Video Parts Dying?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/17/2018 9:57 AM

surprised no one else has made this thread after recently,
If you didn't see anyone repost it, Adrian Morales just double barred El Toro recently but instead of putting it in a video part decided to put it on Instagram.
This upset pros because you lose some clip credibility posting it on Instagram rather than saving it for a video part.
In my personal opinion I think Instagram is a quick way to get exposure for something crazy but only temporarily, I don't get nearly as hyped scrolling through an Instagram as I do watching someone's video for the year.
What are your opinions? do you think video parts will gradually lose popularity or regain it evantually? just curious to hear people's opinions.

|

5/17/2018 11:20 AM

There will always be video parts. There will always be really good riders not making video parts.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

5/17/2018 11:56 AM

Adrian posted the double bar on Insta becasue apparently he triple barred El Toro...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

5/17/2018 1:12 PM

i miss when videos where just freestyled, before everyone got a dedicated section

|

fack off

5/17/2018 1:18 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

i miss when videos where just freestyled, before everyone got a dedicated section

so like BMX Plus! videos from the 80's ?

seems like I remember the Plywood Hoods videos having rider parts. And all the videos after those had riders parts.

There was always the 'friends' sections that were a mix of folks riding though.

|

5/17/2018 2:34 PM

Instant gratification. I’m guilty of that too, I Instagram a lot of stuff I feel I should save for edits but get too pumped on it and post it anyway. Been trying to avoid that lately though or at most just use the iPhone angle as opposed to GoPro/Camera angle but then again I’m not a pro who needs to film for big video parts so idk. maybe his case was similar or 1 upped it and that was the teaser or something

|

5/17/2018 3:29 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Instant gratification. I’m guilty of that too, I Instagram a lot of stuff I feel I should save for edits but get too pumped on it and post it anyway. Been trying to avoid that lately though or at most just use the iPhone angle as opposed to GoPro/Camera angle but then again I’m not a pro who needs to film for big video parts so idk. maybe his case was similar or 1 upped it and that was the teaser or something

I'm the opposite, most of what I post on instagram I don't think would be good enough for a video XD

Looks like all my plans for travelling, filming, and doing more with theGrey this year won't be happening. So I'm just going to continue to enjoy self filming curb tricks.

But yeah, the build up has gone from when you'd read an article about a new video in a magazine. And you'd see a couple of photos, then wait months for the video to release, then when it did it'd blow your mind and you'd watch it 5 times a day until the tape wore out.

I still get a lot more stoked watching dvd's than scrolling through social media. And am currently trying to re collect all the dvd's I used to have.

|

5/17/2018 5:53 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

I'm the opposite, most of what I post on instagram I don't think would be good enough for a video XD

Looks like all my plans for travelling, filming, and doing more with theGrey this year won't be happening. So I'm just going to continue to enjoy self filming curb tricks.

But yeah, the build up has gone from when you'd read an article about a new video in a magazine. And you'd see a couple of photos, then wait months for the video to release, then when it did it'd blow your mind and you'd watch it 5 times a day until the tape wore out.

I still get a lot more stoked watching dvd's than scrolling through social media. And am currently trying to re collect all the dvd's I used to have.

I post a lot of that stuff on Instagram too, sometimes I get bored and just film stuff I'd normally not put in edits or don't think are good enough trick-wise or was too sketchy to be in an edit... just depends. I think the main reason I post to Instagram asap rather than hold onto it (other than I'm stoked on it) is cause I feel like not a lot of people watch my edits anyway. they get posted locally on a website but don't usually see more than a couple hundred views tops, and I get around a hundred or so on Instagram anyway. idk. Definitely not posting JUST cause of that though like an Instagram whore, but I like the instant gratification/recognition.

some things I do hold onto, like I'm sitting on a couple super good clips of some friends and something I did down a handrail a few weeks back, but it just depends.

|

5/17/2018 7:31 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Adrian posted the double bar on Insta becasue apparently he triple barred El Toro...

hold tf up. really??

|

5/17/2018 7:38 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

idontknowanything wrote:

hold tf up. really??

Yeah, he just posted it up on YouTube:

?t=43s
|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

5/17/2018 10:03 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

idontknowanything wrote:

hold tf up. really??

p1p1092 wrote:

?t=43s

Dammot

|

5/18/2018 12:15 AM

ha.

I lol'd

|

5/18/2018 2:33 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I post a lot of that stuff on Instagram too, sometimes I get bored and just film stuff I'd normally not put in edits or don't think are good enough trick-wise or was too sketchy to be in an edit... just depends. I think the main reason I post to Instagram asap rather than hold onto it (other than I'm stoked on it) is cause I feel like not a lot of people watch my edits anyway. they get posted locally on a website but don't usually see more than a couple hundred views tops, and I get around a hundred or so on Instagram anyway. idk. Definitely not posting JUST cause of that though like an Instagram whore, but I like the instant gratification/recognition.

some things I do hold onto, like I'm sitting on a couple super good clips of some friends and something I did down a handrail a few weeks back, but it just depends.

Yeah, although I don't crave attention, it is nice to get a few likes. I'm not a huge fan of self promotion, but that's pretty much what instagram is for. Plus I ride on my own so never get that "yeah!" from friends XD

|

5/18/2018 3:39 AM

I totally get/agree with your point but has anyone seen Jabe Jones - Welcome to Subrosa from yesterday? That shit was insane

|

5/18/2018 3:56 AM

RumHam wrote:

I totally get/agree with your point but has anyone seen Jabe Jones - Welcome to Subrosa from yesterday? That shit was insane

seemed kind of ehhhh to me, some good roof drops and gaps but to me it just looked like febble after feeble with some other stuff mixed in.

It might just be that i dont like watching that style of riding though.

|

Hmmm

5/18/2018 5:25 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I may have to locate you on the insta.

Mine these days is mostly my kid doing funny stuff.

HE WENT TO HIS FIRST BMX TRACK THE OTHER DAY (on a strider) AND LOVED IT. Seriously. The kid was SO happy.

Side note-it is Alise Post (now Wiloughby)'s home track that she grew up on. For those not in the know-she got a Silver Medal at the Olympics last go around. Her dad Mark runs it. Pretty cool to have someone of that caliber who was a local.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/18/2018 5:29 AM

As to video parts, I feel like people are dropping them often, but they don't hold the same reverence they once did. Times past you would be SO excited for a rider's video or DVD or whatever. Now they drop it on youtube and it is a thing of the past a week later. It was also awesome to see a rider hit park, then a few trails clips, with some street mixed in.

Now it seems like most videos are street jibs, with a handful of dudes doing crazy stuff. Then you get some park stuff by some riders. Once in a while there is some dirt popping in. RARELY is it one dude riding all of that.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/18/2018 6:33 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

idontknowanything wrote:

hold tf up. really??

p1p1092 wrote:

?t=43s

Hahaha got em'!!!!laughinglaughing

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

5/18/2018 8:34 AM

Seems like a thing to do in between videos maybe? I don't know much about instagram...

|

5/18/2018 1:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/18/2018 1:46 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

?t=43s

You got me.

|

5/18/2018 1:57 PM

idontknowanything wrote:

hold tf up. really??

p1p1092 wrote:

?t=43s

sean_gillis wrote:

You got me.

Photo
|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

5/18/2018 8:45 PM

This is definitely an interesting topic to discuss.
The view counts on riding videos online have been dramatically decreasing for a few years now.
There's still a huge number of riding videos coming out every week,but view counts now are so much lower than they would've been 5 years ago on so many amazing videos had they been released back then.

I'd definitely say that its in part because of the shear volume of stuff out there and also because bmx media has to try to cover both paid/known riders & content at the same time as shining light on lesser known riders. Not to mention the long form webisode vlog type content that's out there to consume both bmx and non bmx related.

With lower view counts on edits and the ease of posting one insane clip on instagram to have it blow up, I'm sure a lot of kids just don't see the point in making something of length anymore. BMX media outlets post a lot bigger of a variety on instagram as well. So all of the motivational factors(including societies addiction to instant gratification) aside from making an edit just for the joy of doing so are pushing kids toward posting single clips.

Personally, I've been doing everything possible for a few years now. Filming long term for edits while also filming long form youtube content in the form of riding/tip/news/podcast videos and posting clips on instagram. Not for attention like we naturally see with a lot of people but just because this stuff is literally my life. Making videos has been a giant part of BMX literally since my first trick that was filmed on one of the first widely available point and shoot digital cameras with 1.5 megapixels and no audio. I just wanna do literally anything and everything possible involved with bmx and hopefully help a few people in the process.

At this point I'm rambling. BMX rules. BMX is freestyle. People can do whatever they want, whenever they want, however they want. I love it.

|

5/18/2018 11:07 PM

On the subject of video parts, me and my friends are releasing a dvd next month. Been working on it almost two years now. It was supposed to be half skateboarding and half bmx and be filmed half hd and half with my vx, but i think it turned into more of a bmx video. Here is a link to the new trailer https://www.ridebmx.com/videos/keep-rolling-440-volts-trailer/

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

5/19/2018 5:45 AM

Are Video parts dying? Nope and never will. People can post the most craziest shit on their instagram, but no one will remember it. People remember video parts.

|