Are my grips to short?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/7/2017 5:33 AM

Are the demoliton axes grips too short for 29.5 wide bars? The grips are 145mm long, would 160mm grips be better for 29.5 wide bars?

|

5/7/2017 6:21 AM

It depends how wide you want them. You can stretch your grips, or chop your bars down. Personally, I'd chop an inch off each end, and stretch my grips. Bar width is 100% personal preference

|

5/7/2017 6:49 AM

I like my grips to be not much bigger than my hands. Doesn't matter what size my bars are.

|

5/7/2017 7:21 AM

pnj wrote:

I like my grips to be not much bigger than my hands. Doesn't matter what size my bars are.

Yeah, some of us have weird habits. I hold my grips right on the inside, so my thumb is on my bars, doesn't matter how wide my bars or how short the grips

|

5/7/2017 10:29 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Yeah, some of us have weird habits. I hold my grips right on the inside, so my thumb is on my bars, doesn't matter how wide my ...more

Same here. I cut my bars down to 27" wide and my thumbs practically rest on the bars, as far on the inside of the grips as possible.

|

5/7/2017 11:07 AM

Just goes to show personal preference, haha. I hold my grips at around 26" wide, but run 30" wide bars. I've got one full ODI Longneck and another 1/4 of one that's been cut to lengthen the grip a lot since I hold them so far in.

For you, if you like holding your grips more in-line and in the center (if you look up riding videos of Alex Donnachie, you'll see what I mean), then I'd say you'll be fine with 145mm. If you like holding them on the more inner part, though, I don't see why not you give 160mm grips a try.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

5/7/2017 11:22 AM

Run 27.25 bars and have 147mm grips. I think they run fine tbh

|

5/7/2017 11:50 AM

Take your grips off and ducktape that shit!

|

F¬ Bom 5403692331

5/7/2017 4:10 PM

Those bars are huge. Barspins must be crazy. I'd cut them down at least an inch off each end. I like 27", but I hold my hands with my thumbs touching the inside of my bars as well. If they feel good to you that's all that matters. Ride whatever works.

|

5/8/2017 5:37 PM

pnj wrote:

Same here.

Shit, we ran small bars and VERY small grips back in my day. Who cares now, ride what you need.

|

5/14/2017 9:52 PM

bmxgoddess wrote:

Are the demoliton axes grips too short for 29.5 wide bars? The grips are 145mm long, would 160mm grips be better for 29.5 wide ...more

No. I literally just got these grips myself and I'm using them on Odyssey Boss Bars right now.

|

5/15/2017 5:27 PM

If you are concerned, get road bike bar wrap-Lizard Skins makes some awesome "grip like" stuff.

Put that on your bars.

Done.

Ratboy did that back in the day. Stuff is awesome, and you can easily set up whatever length you want.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/15/2017 8:21 PM

I have my bars cut 1" each side for about 27.25" wide. My grips started at 145, but I boiled them and stretched them out. I have always boiled grips seems that they get softer faster. On my lever side (right) my grip is probably about 148-ish and my non-lever side it's 155-160. I catch my barspins on the left so I stretch my grip more on that side. I can throw and catch either way, but my dominant side is the left. So that extra few mm of grip helps me if I don't get the grab right.

It's all what you want and like. But before you cut bars or anything put your grips on and move them till they feel right. Then measure the bars and cut. Same with cutting off a grip flange. I cut my left side off and leave the right on. Seeing I run brakes it is just so I can try avoiding slamming my lever with my hand

|