Are people retarded today?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/21/2017 8:18 PM

Seriously... Back in my day, if you were into BMX, you knew every part of your bike. Today, all these CL ads run the gamut of "Fit frames... I don't know what the other parts are" or they have no idea what the frame is... Not the make or model! What's happened?

|

10/21/2017 8:36 PM

For the most part, people don't really seem to care. I think it comes from the kind of 'throw-away' culture that's taken over the world; people just buy something cheap, break it, throw it away and buy a new one without even a thought towards fixing it. It's taken away a lot of people's pride in the stuff they own.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

10/21/2017 9:08 PM

I know I think it's sad some people drop $1800 on a custom bike and can't even name any of their parts...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

10/21/2017 9:11 PM

A lot of them might have been out of the scene too long to remember what the parts were

I saw someone on Craglist before selling a "Colt" bmx bike and it clearly said "Cult" on the frame.

Also
Photo

|

10/21/2017 9:27 PM

I'm not buying the "they've been out of the sport..." but. I can tell you every part on all my bmx bikes I've ever owned. & those go back to the late 70.s

|

10/21/2017 9:59 PM

Its milenials man... They are the single handly most retarded generation I've ever had the displeasure of speaking too. Never have I met such entitled clueless assholes than this year alone...

|

10/21/2017 10:43 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I'm not buying the "they've been out of the sport..." but. I can tell you every part on all my bmx bikes I've ever owned. ...more

You're contradicting the argument because you're still into the sport and have been for some time, so of course you're going to know every part.

someone that wasn't too into it who rode for a couple years, quit, then dug up their bike 10 years later sure as shit probably won't remember too much about it, let alone specific names & models. Or something else along those lines.

|

10/21/2017 11:44 PM

People just don't care what specific parts are on their bike now. A lot of kids just getting into it anyway. They might know what brand made some of the parts, but there's a hell of a lot of parts on the market. That's why I'd be so sceptical ever buying second hand. Even if it's a good price you don't know if it's a practically stock bike with a couple of 4th hand aftermarket parts, or even just swapped out parts from another complete.

Say it has a fit frame, and they got it second hand. Fit have made a ridiculous amount of frames over the years, aftermarket and from completes. And the names get confusing, depending on which year or who's signature part it is, especially with the riders getting a signature aftermarket frame and a complete. Plus everything looks the same now

|

10/22/2017 5:12 AM

what’s with this generation of wussy’s who get offended by everything

|

10/22/2017 6:39 AM

I am a late millennial, and anyone between 15-35 is also. So I'm betting just about every single member. Yes we are all retarded true. Ever consider that 90% of those bikes are stolen? You don't spend $1800 on a bike and not know every single part. How many bike checks on here do you see where people say I don't know what parts I have? Never happens. When you buy the parts you know what they are, when you steal them, you don't. That's all it is..

|

10/22/2017 6:43 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/22/2017 8:17 AM

eskimojay wrote:

what’s with this generation of wussy’s who get offended by everything

We are all being brainwashed, but This has nothing to do with BMX. Edited.

|

10/22/2017 7:14 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I'm not buying the "they've been out of the sport..." but. I can tell you every part on all my bmx bikes I've ever owned. ...more

sundaybmxRR wrote:

You're contradicting the argument because you're still into the sport and have been for some time, so of course you're going ...more

Ok... Yeah.. If they had a bike bought for them, attempted to ride & then quit, that could be. I think it's probably a combination of the whole "millennial generation" and what you said. "I tried it, it was ok but got out of it" them not caring what sort of bike they had to begin with

|

10/22/2017 7:26 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/22/2017 7:31 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

People just don't care what specific parts are on their bike now. A lot of kids just getting into it anyway. They might know ...more

Exactly my fear with second hand stuff. Today, it all looks the same, & it isn't like you can always tell which model "fit" you are looking at, if it is a fit at all. Hell, stickers are cheap and easy to come by. I just had a "discussion" with a kid on FB marketplace about a bike he was trying to convince me was a cult. He didn't know which cult it was or what parts were on it but "they were all really nice expensive parts". Pictures were sorta distant but I could see it wasn't a cult. When I tried telling this kid he was mistaken (or lying) he got all bent outta shape (cult never made an American bottom bracket frame).

|

10/22/2017 7:38 AM

Definitely gotta do your due diligence when buying used. I had a guy trying to sell a Shadow Conspiracy frame. Good looking bike, stickers where you would expect them, etc. When I asked him the model he wasn't sure "it's just a shadow conspiracy. When I called him out and said that Shadow has only made four bikes, and I had had three of them, and the fourth was a one off collaboration with a bike shop in florida he magically stopped responding to me. lol

Part of the problem is that a LOT of the manufacturers user the same parts. I.e. the order from the same crank manufacturer, bar manufacturer, etc, get it raw, paint it, and throw their decals on it. Saying it has mission blah blah 175mm cranks or Eastern blah blah 175mm cranks is pointless because they are they same thing in a lot of cases.

|

10/22/2017 10:49 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/22/2017 10:51 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

I am a late millennial, and anyone between 15-35 is also. So I'm betting just about every single member. Yes we are all ...more

30 to 35 is much to old to qaulify as a millennial...generally these are people born around the year 2000, hence millennial, give her take a few years, you know kids who don't know the a-team or night rider, that kinda shit. Just so you get and age overview....

|

10/22/2017 1:16 PM

I'm 36 so I'm not retarded! Yay! Although, I do rely on Google a hell of a lot. If someone is selling something I'm interested in, I Google the shit out of it to compare pics and details etc. Although, these millennials are too dumb to even do that. Posting a pic on a forum and asking other people to do it for them is much easier :b

|

10/22/2017 1:28 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

I'm 36 so I'm not retarded! Yay! Although, I do rely on Google a hell of a lot. If someone is selling something I'm interested ...more

Well that's cause you are a smart person. You wouldn't believe how many folk don't do research before buying anything.

|

10/22/2017 2:57 PM

seems to me like most of the CL or ebay adds I see are posted by the parents of the bikes owner, or someone who got the bike with out prior knowledge of it...i.e. "Bought this for my son who wanted to try BMX. It is a red bike with reflectors and a helmet" etc. etc...

or

"freind of the family gave this to us for our daughter to try out. She is into field hockey now so looking to move...."

I also agree that the "throw-away"/instant gratification culture that we have makes it so that people see what they want, order it, open the box and just go...

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

10/22/2017 3:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/22/2017 3:23 PM

Really, there aren't that many parts to worry about on a BMX. I mean, solid frame, forks, bars, cranks, wheels. Nobody cares Assembly what seat post & seat you have. Or what stem outside of front load or top load. It's just about them being quality. They don't even have to be to end components. I doubt many people really give bearings much thought. At least not the masses. The people who've been in it, maybe.

|

10/22/2017 3:41 PM

I think after a while the commodity runs off and people forget .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

10/22/2017 7:34 PM

What does "B I K E" stand for on the thing you roll?

|

10/22/2017 8:09 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Really, there aren't that many parts to worry about on a BMX. I mean, solid frame, forks, bars, cranks, wheels. Nobody cares ...more

Top of my head, I cannot tell what chain, tires, cranks or wheels are on my street bike.
Top of my head I do not know the handlebars or chain on my race bike.

|

10/22/2017 8:15 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

I'm 36 so I'm not retarded! Yay! Although, I do rely on Google a hell of a lot. If someone is selling something I'm interested ...more

BcBMX80 wrote:

Well that's cause you are a smart person. You wouldn't believe how many folk don't do research before buying anything.

Honestly, I think more people research things now more than ever. Tho it might be their first choice was the only thing they researched, then did not end up getting their first choice as in a product.

|

10/22/2017 8:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/24/2017 5:19 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Really, there aren't that many parts to worry about on a BMX. I mean, solid frame, forks, bars, cranks, wheels. Nobody cares ...more

Wayne S wrote:

Top of my head, I cannot tell what chain, tires, cranks or wheels are on my street bike.
Top of my head I do not know the ...more

1984, PK ripper, Landing Gear forks. Redline stem, Redline bars. Oakley 2 grips. Dia comp DX brakes (rear only), Cool Stop brake pads, Tioga headset, Redline Flight Cranks w/sprocket KMC nickel played chain, 44/16 gearing, Araya 7x rims, Phil Wood sealed hubs, ss double butted spokes, Uni seat/post. Suntour seat post clamp, Comp 3 tires front & back.

|

10/22/2017 11:14 PM

I’m technically a millennial but I sure as shit know every single component on my bike, the geometry of everything, and how it affects riding (even if minuscule).

|

10/23/2017 4:55 AM

well shit im 28 so i guess im retarded too... and the short answer to your original question is yes and we're all going to die horrible deaths.

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
I'm Mr. Meeseeks, Looks at me!

10/23/2017 5:05 AM

bmxer_yoshi wrote:

well shit im 28 so i guess im retarded too... and the short answer to your original question is yes and we're all going to die ...more

Not sure who's original post you are reading.... I didn't say anything about millennial's until it was brought up by someone else. Nor did I say millennial's were retarded. I simply asked if people today are retarded. Because 90% of the ads for BMX bikes today have zero info on what it is other than "a BMX bike". I know it "could be a parent" or "a kid that got out of the sport", etc.. but even then when you are selling anything, don't you do research as to what you have so you get the most out of your sale? Where are all these people when it comes to classic muscle cars, genuine Rolex watches, or any other thing of greater value?!

|

10/23/2017 5:10 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Seriously... Back in my day, if you were into BMX, you knew every part of your bike. Today, all these CL ads run the gamut of ...more

I wouldn't even say it is "in your day"-lots of kids know now. Some are riders that stopped and are getting out of the game, some got free parts from homies to piece a bike together, some buy and sell that stuff on CL all the time so they don't know.

Others steal it and that's why they don't know. Usually those are the kids who post things like "THIS IS A MONSTER BIKE" but it clearly has a GT logo-they base the brand off the stickers they see/recognize.

All the dudes I ride with know pretty much every part on their setup-aside from maybe the headset bearings or BB bearings.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/23/2017 7:24 AM

bmxer_yoshi wrote:

well shit im 28 so i guess im retarded too... and the short answer to your original question is yes and we're all going to die ...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Not sure who's original post you are reading.... I didn't say anything about millennial's until it was brought up by someone ...more

Oh it was in regard to the post bcBMX80 did, also Ad are meant to be simple cause its just to sell the products image and not overload the person seeing it with information. Especially to those who might know anything about said product.

What would you rather see as a person not knowing about about bmx looking at an ad a nice clean ad with pictures and some lite verbiage or an add full of words with no pictures ?

Also here's a short read on the matter: https://martech.zone/how-does-advertising-work/

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
I'm Mr. Meeseeks, Looks at me!

10/23/2017 7:48 AM

bmxer_yoshi wrote:

Oh it was in regard to the post bcBMX80 did, also Ad are meant to be simple cause its just to sell the products image and not ...more

Gotcha. As to ads selling with/without verbiage, I'm OK without a list of parts, etc... with GOOD PICTURES. Unfortunately, that's rarely the case. Usually it's one or two bad pictures.

|