Are these bars broken?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/18/2020 1:35 PM

Took off my bars after swapping my stem, and i see this

The stem bolts were not exremely tight, but these are 30 dollar chromoly bars..... So not the vest out there. They are lemon shaped with two points where the stem would clamp. Are these ridable?

|

I like riding my bike.

2/18/2020 1:42 PM

Looks like new

|

2/18/2020 2:10 PM

Crimped as balls

|

2/18/2020 2:31 PM

They are trash now. Recycle them at least.

|

2/18/2020 2:31 PM

They're crushed, you said they're cheaper chromoly bars so they're likely not heat treated which is why they crushed so easy. Start saving for new bars, I wouldn't risk running them although you probably could (but doesn't mean you should).

|

2/18/2020 2:39 PM

Get rid of 'em. When they get like that, the outer edges of the clamp area are prime for breaking.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/18/2020 3:01 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

They're crushed, you said they're cheaper chromoly bars so they're likely not heat treated which is why they crushed so easy. Start saving for new bars, I wouldn't risk running them although you probably could (but doesn't mean you should).

Cheap chromoly is still chromoly. Aluminum crushed these bars, so no telling WHAT these bars are made of.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

2/18/2020 3:06 PM

just because it says, "chromoly" on the sticker doesn't mean it is, in fact, chromo.

|

2/18/2020 3:09 PM

pnj wrote:

just because it says, "chromoly" on the sticker doesn't mean it is, in fact, chromo.

On alot of websites it says staight gauge crmo... Mission command bars by the way. Also says that they have a deep knurl which would weaken them

|

I like riding my bike.

2/18/2020 3:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/18/2020 3:27 PM

HavokDJ wrote:

Cheap chromoly is still chromoly. Aluminum crushed these bars, so no telling WHAT these bars are made of.

1/4" 6xxx aluminium vs .045 chromoly. A good stem could do that to any handlebar. Odyssey Elementarys were 6061 aluminium and they had no issue doing that to even the best set of bars on a regular basis when the user overtightened them.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/18/2020 3:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/18/2020 3:29 PM

pnj wrote:

That literally makes no sense. Chromoly is Chromoly, it may not be all chromoly tubes but his handlebars are 100% chromoly. The only thing I can think of that would cause this is if the knurls are EXTREMELY deep or his stem is somehow tougher than the lowest grade of chromoly being 4100 (considering how soft 6061 is, it can take 3 inch drills deep and still not get hot to the point of injury to the skin, very unlikely, and 7075 would be more likely to break due to rigidity). If it's not actually full chromoly and it's sold under the guise of full chromoly then it's possible and likely they could potentially face lawsuits.
Edit: p1p1092 actually made me realize the ridiculous thinness of the average handlebar. That thin it's very possible 6061 can bend 4100 but honestly brass could do the same at .25

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

-jbales on mafiaBIKES

-adamnmexican

2/18/2020 3:44 PM

HavokDJ wrote:

did you miss the part where I said since they're cheaper chromoly bars that means they're likely not heat treated? as in, since they're not heat treated that's why they're cheaper, not made of "cheap chromoly"

|

2/18/2020 3:50 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

HavokDJ wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

did you miss the part where I said since they're cheaper chromoly bars that means they're likely not heat treated? as in, since they're not heat treated that's why they're cheaper, not made of "cheap chromoly"

Yes I did. It's also straight gauge so that doesn't really help either, not to mention it's deeply knurled which increases it's crushing potential.
Man these bars sound like they suck ASS.

|

-Sheldon on Adam22

-jbales on mafiaBIKES

-adamnmexican

2/18/2020 9:07 PM

how would anyone know if the material is actually chromolly or generic steel (whatever that is, i'm not a metal person). So a company buys bars, slaps a sticker on them, sell 'em for cheap..

who's to know? Most people with some bike riding time / experience will buy that their fav. pros or other riders are using and they know can handle abuse. the folks that don't have money.. will buy the cheaper bars. Without testing the metal, all we can do is trust that the company is being honest.

I know for sure that T1 had issues with some of their first frames and actually paid to have them tested. Turns out they were not made with the metal the manufacture said they were using.... just cheap steel.

|

2/20/2020 7:05 PM

Bar clamping area could be too thin of steel tubing. Heat treating helps with resilience to deformation. Softer steel will deform easier than hardend steel.

|

2/20/2020 7:12 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Bar clamping area could be too thin of steel tubing. Heat treating helps with resilience to deformation. Softer steel will deform easier than hardend steel.

Hardened steel just cracks. I'd much rather have a part bend than break suddenly.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

2/21/2020 11:02 AM

Wow.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus.

2/21/2020 1:20 PM

They look a little deformed but not broken yet

|