Are you a weight wh@$e?

Related:
Create New Tag

6/3/2018 7:33 PM

Before you click yes or no here is what I mean. ALL in fun, a few years back it was fun to joke around about it.
1- You stress if your bike is over 23-25lbs

2- You only buy the absolute lightest parts around

3- You are always trying to figure out how to get a few more ounces of your bike

If you say yes to any you are boarding on it. If you say yes to 2 or more you are one even if you don’t know it. Last, list your bikes weight or a guess if you aren’t sure.

Currently my bike is about 27-28lbs. Might have to stick another double thick tube in the back to get a tad more weight. Already use one in front for the same reason.

Are you?

View Results

|

6/3/2018 7:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/6/2018 5:14 AM

I sorta feel like there needs to be a 4th option... like not a weenie but I'm conscious of overall weight.

|

6/3/2018 8:16 PM

Nope. Honestly don't give a shit about what my bike weighs, I don't even know how much it weighs currently, I mean, I have no pegs and all aftermarket parts, so I'm guessing around 25-28 lbs...

But I've NEVER looked at the weight of a part when buying new stuff, don't really care about it honestly, I just like my bike to be dialed, solid, amd totally quiet... that's all I care about, not weight...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

6/3/2018 8:43 PM

I don't think I am one, but my bike weighs 22lbs. That's just how much it ended up weighing when I put it together. I even use metal pedals...maybe its because I ride pegless perhaps?

|

"STREET" all day, ere'day.

6/3/2018 9:15 PM

I prefer 28lbs it's heavier then the standard 25ish I'm not picky tho I just prefer something heavier I feel more stable is what I think it is

|

Ride your bike.

Eat your vegetables.

Stay off Twitter.


- TheDarkEnergist

The Whip

6/3/2018 9:19 PM

I’ll choose lighter parts that are still strong , but I’m not trying to purchase the lightest parts out . For example , I went from straight gauge bars , to regular butted bars . And I went from a solid guard sprocket to a CNC’d nonguarded sprocket . It does help slightly . I think tires make the most difference , although I love fat 2.4 tires

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

6/3/2018 11:21 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I sorta feel like there needs to be a 4th option... like not a weenie but I'm conscious of overall weight.

This

|

Hmmm

6/3/2018 11:26 PM

Im old. My opinion is there is soooo many parts out there. Theyre all good really. Nearly all of them will hold up to me so why not go with the lightest? Its something to make my life easier im not a street lord lol

Weenie confirmed

|

6/4/2018 12:52 AM

I haven't got a clue what my bike ways, but it's not light. I do think I wouldn't mind it being a bit lighter, but can't see it affecting my riding so I'm not that arsed.

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

6/4/2018 1:02 AM

Don't care at all, couldn't even guess what my bike weighs. Never looked at weight of any parts when buying them and I ride 4 metal pegs so presumably it isn't light haha

|

6/4/2018 4:09 AM

Have never weighted my bike.

Never crossed my mind to look at the weight of parts when buying them.

BUT

I do care how heavy it is. I do care how lighter I can make it.

But it's difficult, because a BMX is supposed to be:

-Sturdy
-Simple
-Cheap (compared to mtb for example)
-Easy to repair

Weight is a by-product of those criteria, and far less important. Only when the parts fulfil the mission in mind, then would I start looking at the weight.

Kind of an intricate, complex situation, really. I hope someone gets the drift.

However, the only reason to scoff at this weight-weenie thing is because we're barking up the wrong tree.

We should all be more conscious of the way the weight is distributed, not how heavy the bike is.

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

6/4/2018 6:08 AM

balance is more important than weight

|

fack off

6/4/2018 10:26 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

balance is more important than weight

And not only that but technique is key for tricks. That’s why like someone said above they don’t care at all. They know how to ride and know weight is not going to cause an issue (minus light bikes become easier to be affected by the wind).

I keep mine close to 30lbs. I run double thick tubes to add some overall weight and rotational weight. I just don’t feel as stable on a 23-25lb bike. And my riding never has suffered from it.

|

6/4/2018 10:42 AM

Weights never something I think about a whole lot, I like to spend allot of money when I build a new bike so I usually go for expensive parts that look to be high quality and by the time it’s all together the bikes tend to be super light , doesn’t bother me any , I plan to beat the shit out of them and hopefully I get 3 riding seasons out of them

|

6/4/2018 10:57 AM

My bike was 26lbs when I got it and it now has a guard sprocket and 4 pegs so I’m guessing like 27-29lbs now

|

An Indian on a small bike

6/4/2018 11:25 AM

My street bike feels heavy as shit...lol

I still havent weighed it on a legit scale but it feels close to 30lbs to me.

|

6/4/2018 11:30 AM

I have no idea how much my bike weights, but everyone tell me my bike is a tank, so I guess I'm on the heavier side.
I never really watched weight on parts, I buy stuffs because of how strong they are and how they looks.

But recently I started to care a little more about it, I wanted the backend to feel a bit lighter so on my rims, the weight was a deciding factor when comparing the bsd nasa rim vs the shadow truss, I ended up with shadow truss because 100 grams less (also really like the look of it).
Also 2.25" tyres instead of 2.4's because they feel better (and I earn a little rotational weight)

But there's things that I won't compromise to earn weight, like, I'll keep my fat seat, my 28t guard sprocket, my 4 steel guards and pegs, and plastic pegs ? yeah on one side but with a steel core.
Also never buying a h25 fork again, one head trauma is enough, I want the strongest fork possible.
And I want a 1" bar combo because I broke way too much bars at the clamping area, so a few more grams here would be cool.

So yeah functionnality over weight but if I can earn a little weight without compromising anything, why not ?

But too light bikes feels sketchy, I took all my pegs and guards off not so long ago to do some pegless stuffs, so my bike lost 1kg and it was ridiculously easy to throw around, okay for some jibs but uncomfortably light for bigger stuffs, I wanted to 360 a 9 stairs for the first time at this time, and I thought "no way I'm doing this with this setup" so I put the pegs back on and sent it.

|

6/4/2018 12:03 PM

Great, now I feel like a weight weenie. Lol.

I voted that I'm starting to be since, last month, I swapped out my super thick tubes for thinner, much lighter ones. I also remember buying my current Maxxis tire set last year because they were lighter than the other models I had earlier. A few of my bolts and nuts are aluminum now as well. I also have cut down my seat post for my slammed setup.

Don't have a good scale for it now, but about a year and a half ago when I weighed it, it was 27 LBS with brakes, a gyro, and 3 metal pegs and 2 metal guards. The stock forks are also heavier than my current R32's. I wanna say my bike is now 24-ish LBS.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

6/4/2018 12:32 PM

My bike is something like 20.5lbs and apart from rims that I was experimenting with I haven't actually sacrificed ANY strength, the rims hold up too they just need tightening every now and again.
I don't buy things solely for the weight but that definetly is a factor since last summer I was riding almost every day 10-8
A lighter bike keeps you less tired and less sore the next morning so you can get back on the bike pronto.

|

Hmmm

6/4/2018 12:52 PM

Anyone who started in the mid school couldn't possibly have a problem any bike considered heavy by today's standards.

|

6/4/2018 1:19 PM

I started in the mid school days, and actually hate all the over built crap that people cream themselves over now. My bike is 23lbs (give or take). I don't buy the lightest parts I can, but I definitely steer clear of anything I think is overly heavy. I have profile hubs with alloy female axles because I don't use pegs, so anything heavier is just pointless. I use g sport rollcage rims because they're a bit lighter than ribcages and I'm not heavy on rims. Etc.

|

6/4/2018 2:56 PM

If anything i'm the opposite. Last time i weighed my bike it was 30lbs. People say there is no need for anyone to have a bike that is as strong as possible because a 25lbs bike will be strong enough, but that is not true. I know having more weight doesn't always equal more strength, but if you have two frames of the same material built by the same person and one has thicker tubes, it's gonna be stronger. I seem to have a knack for fucking up frames and rims. I have a 48h rear wheel and it still isn't as strong as i want it to be. I snapped the hazard lite i had on my front wheel. I snapped a 36h ribcage in the rear a few years ago. My bonedeth rim has a tiny crack starting on the weld. I built up a never used 48h primo balance and it has a real bad flat spot already. Think i'm gonna build up an og hazard rim i have next. I also wrap my tubes in cut up old tubes for extra protection because i hate fixing flats. I just want my bike to be the strongest and most practical it can be.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

6/4/2018 3:21 PM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

If anything i'm the opposite. Last time i weighed my bike it was 30lbs. People say there is no need for anyone to have a bike that is as strong as possible because a 25lbs bike will be strong enough, but that is not true. I know having more weight doesn't always equal more strength, but if you have two frames of the same material built by the same person and one has thicker tubes, it's gonna be stronger. I seem to have a knack for fucking up frames and rims. I have a 48h rear wheel and it still isn't as strong as i want it to be. I snapped the hazard lite i had on my front wheel. I snapped a 36h ribcage in the rear a few years ago. My bonedeth rim has a tiny crack starting on the weld. I built up a never used 48h primo balance and it has a real bad flat spot already. Think i'm gonna build up an og hazard rim i have next. I also wrap my tubes in cut up old tubes for extra protection because i hate fixing flats. I just want my bike to be the strongest and most practical it can be.

Yeah, pretty much this lmao

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

6/4/2018 7:52 PM

I don't care about weight. I came from riding 40 lb tanks so anything these days don't even compare!

|

brakeless maniac

6/4/2018 9:04 PM

Nope I go by a strength - weight / price ratio. Can't go wrong.

|

6/4/2018 9:07 PM

Joe_Martinez wrote:

I don't care about weight. I came from riding 40 lb tanks so anything these days don't even compare!

I remember the first hop with my wethepeople complete coming from my 40 lbs junk tank, I felt like flying.

|

6/4/2018 9:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/4/2018 9:56 PM

Cellmember wrote:

Nope I go by a strength - weight / price ratio. Can't go wrong.

I remember the days when 7 8 pound frames where weak as hell still , it’s really always a gamble , the Sunday soundwaves it seems are the most consistent bang for your buck , my hyper wizard has been solid so far and taken a beating and still holding up well though , I’d rather try something random and roll the dice on it then go with the standard

|

6/4/2018 11:29 PM

Joe_Martinez wrote:

I don't care about weight. I came from riding 40 lb tanks so anything these days don't even compare!

You said it! When I had a bike that was 32lbs I was shocked. I only ride the parts that last. I have had race bikes that were over the weight of most people ride now. I don’t like a strong wind and a good set of trails not to mix. Nasty gave me the idea of the double thick tubs and it helps. I don’t run plastic parts except my Par ends which looks like could last for awhile longer.

|

6/5/2018 7:53 PM

I dont really care about the weight of my bike (or bikes) to be honest. With all the modern parts that I purchase, I figured it would be easy to keep it under 30 lbs regardless whether I pay attention to weight or not. Which I proved myself correct when I weighed my 3 bikes and it was 29 lbs, 25 lbs, and 23 lbs. but I have confidence in my bikes that they wont break under me also.

|

6/5/2018 10:03 PM

thairishguy wrote:

I dont really care about the weight of my bike (or bikes) to be honest. With all the modern parts that I purchase, I figured it would be easy to keep it under 30 lbs regardless whether I pay attention to weight or not. Which I proved myself correct when I weighed my 3 bikes and it was 29 lbs, 25 lbs, and 23 lbs. but I have confidence in my bikes that they wont break under me also.

? The last two are Lighter than my last race bike!

|