Arthritis! Tips from the veterans plz

Related:
Create New Tag

8/6/2017 5:48 PM

I'm 29 and was just diagnosed with some arthritis in the left ankle. It hurts when I land kind of sideways out of a half cab or something. Also it's stiff in the morning. Other than that its pretty functional. Still, it is a bummer and I have to work around it and listen to it, and yes it holds me back at times.

Any seasoned dudes out there dealing with arthritis? Has your arthritis gotten significantly worse from continuing to ride? Any advice for managing this condition and continuing with my BMX "career"?

Thank you!!!!
Pete

|

8/6/2017 7:23 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/6/2017 7:24 PM

Hey bro, 37 and I get it pretty bad in my wrists and hands. I find the worst thing for arthritis is beer and heavy drinking and a shitty diet. It has not gotten worse from riding probably better. If I'm good I can do 20 bunny hops a sesh if I'm bad I can do three. I find if you eat right and just push through it and dont go crazy, ride within your age and abilities it helps.
If anything the excersice and diet have only helped. Its different for everyone but I stay clear of the shots and I dont use pain killers yet. I try to fight it with excersice and good eats. Good luck bro and keep riding!

|

8/6/2017 7:37 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Hey bro, 37 and I get it pretty bad in my wrists and hands. I find the worst thing for arthritis is beer and heavy drinking and a shitty diet. It has not gotten worse from riding probably better. If I'm good I can do 20 bunny hops a sesh if I'm bad I can do three. I find if you eat right and just push through it and dont go crazy, ride within your age and abilities it helps.
If anything the excersice and diet have only helped. Its different for everyone but I stay clear of the shots and I dont use pain killers yet. I try to fight it with excersice and good eats. Good luck bro and keep riding!

Thanks man!

|

8/6/2017 7:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/6/2017 7:41 PM

May sound wierd but the stuff that helps the most was and is stuff like probiatic yogurt and kombucha and apple cider vinigear, sourkreut, sourdough bread etc. Not pickled but fermented live stuff. And a little herb when needed never hurts either.

|

8/7/2017 10:24 AM

My right ankle is ruined. Worst x-ray of an ankle the tech had seen in 25 years. Riding makes it feel way better. I can't take hard landings or anything but just ripping around and doing little shit and manuals it feels great. I find getting reflexology treatments and foot rubs really helps. So do edibles. Big time. The most important thing is to a take care of your injuries. I didn't and I really regret it. Stretching your foot/ankle is good too. Pull your toes back towards you for 10 seconds then push them forward.

|

8/7/2017 10:56 AM

Low impact exercise on the side-I've found my knees got better when I started riding a road bike from time to time.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/7/2017 8:13 PM

As a doctor I recommend something like aleve or ibuprofen. If u can get to your doc ask for ketorolac (aka toradol) tablets that work wonderful on joint pain. It's essentially a high strength Motrin/Aleve/Advil/ibuprofen that does anti-inflammation and eliminates pain.

|

Dax in NYC
MD & Flatland rider

8/8/2017 7:52 AM

I'm 46. The arthritis in my hands is so bad that I've not been able to ride my bike for a few months. I simply can not hold onto the bars.

I have changed my diet dramatically and have noticed a big change.

stay hydrated. I drink a LOT of water and take electrolyte supplements.
I take turmeric pills
I eat as clean as I can. No fast food, no red meat, no processed meats.
I ice my hands daily.

Since doing the above, I have noticed a change for the better with my hand pain.

ymmv

|

8/8/2017 11:00 AM

Red meat and seafood are the worst culprits for inflammation.

|

8/8/2017 3:46 PM

31 here and have been riding over 20 years. I have it in my left shoulder and my ankles. Hurts like balls when I ride but I can't give it up! I don't take anything for the pain. I suck it up and as mentioned above, eat good and clean

|

8/8/2017 4:06 PM

seanthemechanic wrote:

31 here and have been riding over 20 years. I have it in my left shoulder and my ankles. Hurts like balls when I ride but I can't give it up! I don't take anything for the pain. I suck it up and as mentioned above, eat good and clean

Here's what I find help. Shoes with a cushier sole. Helps for landings like crazy. Sure pedal feel in those thin vans is awesome, but I'll leave that behind along with my teenage years no problem.

What is your ankle pain like? Mine is usually a quick sharp pain on a hard landing. Very rarely do I get a searing kind of diffuse pain that lasts. Usually just a quick burst of pain and that's it. Do you find braces/support help or make it worse?

Also for real Sean Tumeric and joint supplements and fish oil have helped me like crazy. I recommend it.

peace man

|

8/9/2017 3:59 PM

seanthemechanic wrote:

Pete Kostin wrote:

Here's what I find help. Shoes with a cushier sole. Helps for landings like crazy. Sure pedal feel in those thin vans is awesome, but I'll leave that behind along with my teenage years no problem.

What is your ankle pain like? Mine is usually a quick sharp pain on a hard landing. Very rarely do I get a searing kind of diffuse pain that lasts. Usually just a quick burst of pain and that's it. Do you find braces/support help or make it worse?

Also for real Sean Tumeric and joint supplements and fish oil have helped me like crazy. I recommend it.

peace man

Mine is a sharp pain but then after a days ride I come home and it's a dull pain for a while. I wear a damn good knee brace when I ride and it helps tremendously for me. I can't give this shit up so I'll always ride while I'm standing on two feet

|

9/1/2017 9:23 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/1/2017 9:25 PM

So I just started riding. Im 29 about 6-7 months into bmx now. I can do 180 flats, flyouts, some basic nose manual regular manual tricks, sliders, foot jams, etc.

I have set my bike up to be light, easy to pedal and easy to stop.

I have tall 9.5 in bars for a more upright position, 23t front sprocket with a 9t in the rear for easier pedaling from dead stop (you cant go as fast but its easier on my knees). And having a lighter bike not only makes some tricks easier but it makes it to where you are able to ride longer due to less stress overall on your body.

Brakes for being able to stop. In time.

I have had many broken bones, long waits to heal up, surgery, etc.

Im late in the game, but these are some things I can recommend for older riders. Especially the 23t sprocket for those with knee issues like myself.

I currently wear a helmet, knee/shin pads, wrist protecting gloves, knee brace under pads, and sometimes ankle braces if i plan on doing heavy landings.

|

9/2/2017 10:50 AM

Pete Kostin wrote:

I'm 29 and was just diagnosed with some arthritis in the left ankle. It hurts when I land kind of sideways out of a half cab or something. Also it's stiff in the morning. Other than that its pretty functional. Still, it is a bummer and I have to work around it and listen to it, and yes it holds me back at times.

Any seasoned dudes out there dealing with arthritis? Has your arthritis gotten significantly worse from continuing to ride? Any advice for managing this condition and continuing with my BMX "career"?

Thank you!!!!
Pete

I'm 42, 2 ACL surgeries and now I have bad arthritis in both knees. I'm also a personal trainer and I have a few tips for you. Some help alot and others are more prevention.

1- invest in a good brace. Support for the area is important and helps keep the joint stable like it is supposed to be. I use a sleeve and if I ride street I put on a brace with 2 steel bars on the sides. That prevents my knee from twisting and trust me it helps a ton.

2- Multivitamin. Sounds odd, but you probably don't get the nutrients you need from just your diet. Include fish oil and calcium. It helps keep the joint stocked with more healthy fluid and tries to restore the area padding internal.

3- Stretch and strengthening off the bike. I do light squats for my knee (only say 100lbs). For the ankle calf raises and get on YouTube and search ankle mobility stretches. It helps me alot.

4- Foam roller. Get a fairly firm one and again YouTube how to use one. They are amazing and I recommend it to you for every body part. It helps prevent soreness and stiffness. And it makes you feel better overall.

That's what I do. Plus I will take Back and Body pain med if it really acts up. Ibuprofen is good too. It's an anti inflammatory and can keep flare ups of pain down. Take ONLY if it's really bad seeing it came mess with your internal organs if you overdo it.

Hope that helps you some

|