Athletic tape

Related:
Create New Tag

1/26/2016 1:12 PM

Anyone ever wrap their wrists/ankles with athletic tape before riding? If so does it help absorb some of the shock and pain?

|

It’s all bmx

1/26/2016 2:18 PM

nah i dont even wrap my hands and wrists when im on my heavy bag.

|

1996 dyno slammer, 1997 mosh pro, 1998 gt vertigo, 2000 haro backtrail x3, 2004 free agent tigercat, 2005 volume dinosaur, 2005 s&m black bike, 2013 stolen saint 24", 2015 flybikes proton

1/26/2016 2:25 PM

Grips and friction will shred it

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

1/26/2016 2:56 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Grips and friction will shred it

Why are your wrists and ankles on your grips?

And no, I have an ankle brace when mine acts up, gloves if/when I need em. I used a wrist brace a couple times too.

If my joints are hurting enough for a brace, I don't ride (unless there is a trip or something)

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/26/2016 3:13 PM

I tore my ACL years ago and kept it wrapped with an ace bandage during the month wait where I decided not to get surgery.

It helped with making it feel stable but when I landed funny on a feeble 180, my knee buckled just as easy and it hurt like fuck. Then again, maybe the bandage DID help and it could have been worse without it but idk.

Only other time I recall riding with wrap is about 7 or 8 months after that when my knee was acting up and kept "slipping" so I wrapped it and it helped stabilize it but any large load would make it shift again. Not sure what that was about but it went away a week later and never came back, so again not sure if the wrap had anything to do with it.

So given that, I'd say yeah it helps absorb shock and makes whatever you have wrapped feel more stable... But for something serious I'd probably just get an actually stabilizer/brace. Ankle braces aren't that much at Wal-Mart, I got one for $15 and it's saved my ankle so many times.

|

1/26/2016 4:59 PM

I thought it was those wrist / wrap around the thumb and the palm type wrap , oops .

I have a wrist brace ( Tensor ) that fit good but the velcro got mangled after a while from using it riding .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

1/26/2016 5:11 PM

i wear gloves about 40% of the time i ride if my wrists are sore and only buy mid-high tops with thick soles/good support to make it easier on my ankles. if you ride with your ankles wrapped but spend the other 20 hours of the day walking around in shoes with no support you're still gonna deal with a lot of pain regardless. especially now that old school vans and chuck taylors cost as much as high quality shoes there's no real reason to get them anymore

|

My Ride
My Other Ride
I've sold stuff to Ecuadevil, LLURider, and Mario.villegas90 with no complaints.
IG: evildeadhands