Awesome/terrible cities to bmx in

Related:
Create New Tag

2/16/2018 10:39 AM

Title says it all folks. Name your top best/worst cities in any number and count as many as you want. You can have a top 5, top 3, top 10, hell, even a top 0 for all I care, participation is all that matters. However, they have to be cities that you have visited before, that's the only rule!
Best cities:
Daytona Beach, FL (Great amount of parks here and some good street spots too, stay away from the park on orange beach though, they're all assholes, I think there's a couple at orange but this one is fenced in and it has a small concrete bowl in it. It's a generic park but the bowl is pretty much one of its defining features)
Jacksonville, FL (Kona skatepark specifically)
Austin, TX (The amount of bmxers here makes it look like it's Mat Hoffman Pro BMX 2 or something, it's like an American Barcelona)

Worst cities:
Meridian, MS (The skatepark here is literally an abandoned indoor park about 30 minutes from my house, If you ever visit, I'll be one of the very few people you'll see doing freestyle bmx on the streets)
New Orleans, LA (Yeah, sure, there are a shit ton of people here doing freestyle bmx, in fact, I and my father a long time ago were in their ranks. However, how many of these guys actually LEGITIMATELY OWN those bikes they're freestyling off of? Yeah, great place to get your fucking bike stolen, however, pretty much every building here is distinct and thieves are too stupid to actually leave the shit they stole inside so if you know people you can get your shit back before everything on it gets pawned off)
Detroit, MI (Obvious reasons)
Adrian, MI (It's a small town, it's fun but it's definitely not a bmx city by any means, not really any spots but the ground is really flat because Michigan, so flatland is good)

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

2/16/2018 11:15 AM

Edmonton’s good , Calgary is good , Vancouver is sick

|

2/16/2018 12:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/16/2018 12:50 PM

Definitely getting tighter and tighter security here in NYC. Lots of spots that are popular bring security guards out before you can get a trick off.

They are opening more parks in the city though. One opened by me about 4 months ago and if I get there on a weeknight at around 9pm its great.

I have yet to really traverse the whole city, but eventually I will.

My hometown (suburb of NYC) has a lot of really great street spots that aren't too far apart. Fairly easy to make a nice day-long session out of them.

Other than that...I have literally never ridden a BMX in any other city. I suck

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

2/16/2018 12:52 PM

The awesome thing about BMX, is you can ride anything anywhere, even the middle of nowhere (dirt). Unlike skateboarding... I hate when people say they have nothing to ride.

|

2/16/2018 12:58 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

The awesome thing about BMX, is you can ride anything anywhere, even the middle of nowhere (dirt). Unlike skateboarding... I ...more

The thing is here there is nowhere to build dirt jumps

|

Hmmm

2/16/2018 2:58 PM

houston sucks. austin is overrated

|

It’s all bmx

2/16/2018 4:39 PM

Hawaii Kai canal here on O’ahu. I posted a few shots in the spots thread. Transition and ramps for days!

Also, the CULT crew rode it in their Eyeland video.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

2/16/2018 6:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/16/2018 6:47 PM

Only ridden here in colorado.

Denver city you get kicked out immediately, everywhere. Skate-stopped almost all ledges that are decent height.

Old town Arvada is pretty cool, not too many people care if you ride around.

Here in westminster where I live there are. A lot of cool ledge spots and gaps, only get kicked out every so often (tonight had 2 police officers try to talk to me).

Commerce city, only a few spots that Ive found. Run down but nothing really stood out to me.

Littleton area has a ton of cool spots in the run down areas.

Ive ridden all over here but thoseare the areas that stood out in my mind.

|

2/17/2018 1:54 AM

Tulsa Oklahoma is beautiful

|

I once walked into a gay bar it did not end well

2/18/2018 11:28 AM

I'm from Albuquerque, obviously kinda legendary- the big Los Altos Skatepark and the big Arroyo (ditches), not too tight of security at schools or banks, everything is rideable, Decent place.

Denver, CO was OKAY, the weather is less rider friendly. Kinda locked down.

Pueblo,CO was good for down and dirty BMX, a small country town with lots of open space but only had like 2-3 parks with tough locals. Couple dirt tracks too. Again, decent but nothing to really see.

Mesa, AZ, Not really locked down as you'd think, but nothing to really do. LOTS of dirt everywhere so a couple dirt tracks, never found a park that allowed bikes, closest park was like 10 miles into the next city-didnt allow bikes.

Los Angeles is locked down, its annoying you can never get more than like 3-4 tries before you have to leave, there's tons of spots per square mile but Especially now things are starting to get capped(Hollywood high was capped, I'm personally responsible for getting most of USC campus capped, and I'm banned from USC) so it's a constant moving struggle to find a place to ride. BUT there's a grip of BMX riders out here and there's always a good chance of running into a pro if you hit up parks and famous spots

|

2/18/2018 12:02 PM

Flagstaff Arizona has a bike only park and a couple other good parks! Vegas has some,fun parks. Leadville Colorado has a nice park that's pretty quiet and fun to ride. Canon city Colorado another fun park that's never,too busy.

|

brakeless maniac

2/18/2018 12:27 PM

I thought this was aboit riding street in the city...if we are talkimg skateparks...there are a ton here in co. Super awesome ones too!

|

2/18/2018 1:12 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

I thought this was aboit riding street in the city...if we are talkimg skateparks...there are a ton here in co. Super awesome ...more

Saw you're in Westminster have you ever rode the Winona ditch behind Kennedy park? Love that spot. What's the redish/orange park on the hill there? That park is sick too y'all got some rad place to ride for sure

|

@coupd_tat

2/18/2018 1:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/18/2018 1:27 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

I thought this was aboit riding street in the city...if we are talkimg skateparks...there are a ton here in co. Super awesome ...more

coupde_tat wrote:

Saw you're in Westminster have you ever rode the Winona ditch behind Kennedy park? Love that spot. What's the redish/orange ...more

I was going to mention that and include a picture but I've never been there I've seen it in person but I've never ridden there. I'm a postman and I actually deliver mail in that neighborhood where it's at.

|

2/18/2018 2:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/18/2018 2:08 PM

Okay let's step things up and bring it international.

I'm not going for the planned good/bad thing, because what I don't like in some place, some other rider could.

Let's cut through the crap.

-Vientiane, Laos

Pretty nice features to ride (huge stair cases, ledges on parks, natural quarter pipes). A lot of temples, nagas, and curved walls. A huge pond-bowl that's gigantic. And absolutely no security, no police, nothing to worry about AT ALL. I mean AT ALL. No one will EVER do ANYTHING.

Hot, sticky, humid. Pick the good time to ride. And the traffic's crazy. Learn to hop over cars. Oh- no skatepark. Just street and dirt. But good dirt though, by yours truly wink

-Bangkok, Thailand

Much more stressful. Much more traffic. Much more police. A lot of fun things going on everywhere, a local scene that's alive and well, with outdoor/indoor parks (more wood ramps than bowls), dirt jumps under highways, and sloppy street riding that is harder to do (security, people everywhere, not much street-wise). It's a big town.

-Grenoble, France

Huge dirt jumps a stone's throw away from city center (4-5 spots in total), small-ish but excellent indoor skatepark. Small skateparks here and there with funramps and occasional bowl, at regular intervals. But they suck. Only one is good. One race track. Street ledges, benches, rails, stairs, but more grouped together in zones than spread out. There's also this stunning outdoor park with steep bowls and great lines, but 40 mins drive away.

Haven't come across a lot of police patrols. No problems with security so far (I'm rather a hit-and-run type).

Overall a highly recommended city. Of course I'm gonna vouch for it cauz I'm here.

-Paris, France

Only have been in a small section, so can't vouch for all of it. I'll just say amazing indoor and outdoor skateparks, but street is a bit harder. Some awesome rails though, and ledges here and there. Also- police. Much much more than in Grenoble. BMXes are illegal on the streets by the way. You can be fined for riding on the pavement. Security has eyes on stalks with binos.

But hell, fuck it- as long as it's rideable, it's rideable, no matter if there's 1 or 1000 cops around it.

-Lyon, France

Same situation as above. Nice small bowl next to the river. Some wind though, but shielded from bridge. When it's in the good direction. Not much street-wise, but I haven't explored it yet. From what I could see, it seems to also be overrated.

Was there on a passing stint so don't take my words for hard fact.

-Lille, France

Very flat city. Just a few street things here and there. No dirt jumps. I think. BUT. There's a full-blown indoor skatepark that's ready to make up.

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

2/18/2018 11:48 PM

Only ever ridden in my home town (Hull, England). There's a lot here though. There's a huge indoor skatepark, an outdoor street plaza, and a proper "parkrat" park all within about a 20 minute ride from each other. The town centre also has a lot of great spots too

|

2/19/2018 3:27 AM

Skylight wrote:

I'm not going for the planned good/bad thing, because what I don't like ...more

Lol on BKK Thailand. You werent just riding around Khaosan rd were you? Those dirt jumps are gone now though, but they have since built a new one. Humid as fuck, and worse air pollution than Beijing. Theres like two legit skateparks in Bangkok, the rest are just modular. Security is tight in the middle of the city but towards the outskirts its more relaxed. There are bicycle theives here but its not really a place known for getting your bike stolen (it does happen but its not notorious, theives go for motorcycles mainly).

The local scene is cool and theres a lot of history, as well as many rippers. @jamennb_nj is pretty much the scene here in a nutshell.

|

2/19/2018 5:00 AM

thairishguy wrote:

Lol on BKK Thailand. You werent just riding around Khaosan rd were you? Those dirt jumps are gone now though, but they have ...more

Haha, a 180 on the khaosan road would end up in either a crash with a tuktuk, tourists, taxi, a parasol/tent, side shop thingy/dog/whatever, or all combined XD

A few years ago, I was in BKK, but I didn't have my bike with me, had nothing to do, so I hit up a friend (who was a local) to show me some spots (he was in a french high school in BKK and rode a raw WTP with tan walls and 4 pc bars if you've seen him) and he guided me around.

We met in the center (Rama 1-Central W, SP malls), I realised how crazy it was (traffic, security, air), and we made our way out.

Tried to use the khlongs but it wasn't a good idea with a BMX haha!

Hung out at the BabyDirtBikes shop to get me a 9inch bar and metal pedals, along with an indication of the scene, then half the day to fuck around... A lot of small skateparks that sucked, one huge legit one with awesome riders shredding it (we might be talking of the same one, I'll dig into my photos if I still have em), apart from that, a few street ledges here and there, nothing serious, but security, oh boy...

That was around three-four years ago but I'm more than sure things are still up and riding. The scene is frikin alive as heck. That's an understatement for the shredders btw, my opinion is that they are MACHINES and absolutely know how to kill it on a BMX!

You should maybe do a vital article with a best-spots list for when anyone here wants to have a shot at riding Thailand ;P

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

2/19/2018 10:20 PM

Skylight wrote:

I'm not going for the planned good/bad thing, because what I don't like ...more

thairishguy wrote:

Lol on BKK Thailand. You werent just riding around Khaosan rd were you? Those dirt jumps are gone now though, but they have ...more

Skylight wrote:

Haha, a 180 on the khaosan road would end up in either a crash with a tuktuk, tourists, taxi, a parasol/tent, side shop ...more

Ah four years ago. Yeah we’re talking about the same park. Theyve since updated it, added a miniramp and more features to the park. The BSD guys just released an edit on it. Theres a new concrete skatepark on the outskirts of the city, its a bit hard to get to, but its awesome. So many riders kill it on a BMX here, but Gary Young is the only guy who had the balls to grind the stadium ledge right outside the skatepark.

I’ve always thought of writing up a spot and park list for Bangkok. Theres so many street spots and I love the bus stop flatbars, but yeah its really hectic here. Especially when you almost take out mopeds riding illegally on sidewalks.

|

2/20/2018 6:37 AM

St. Cloud MN has a bunch of spots and a plaza.

Minneapolis has some good stuff

St Paul has some spots

Charlotte NC was fun (and sketchy)

Hutchinson MN has a few spots for being a tiny town-it was ok growing up there but not somewhere I would travel to for riding specifically

Menomonie WI was pretty fun

Madison WI

Those are the main cities I have been to for riding "street".

I know there are more, but I have over 18 years of BMX, so they run together a lot.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/20/2018 7:28 AM

I second the nomination for Daytona Beach but Tampa Florida kills it. Everytime I ride there I can believe that the scene is so alive and there are so many killer spots. They have killer parks too. Bro Bowl, the SPOT, a new St Pete park coming with a huge street section. Like a BMX paradise.

|

2/20/2018 7:47 AM

Philly is awesome for street
Nashville is super fun and just has a great vibe to ride around it
Pittsburg has a bunch of great spots
Raleigh is pretty cool
Richmond is cool

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

2/20/2018 8:57 AM

Helijames wrote:

I second the nomination for Daytona Beach but Tampa Florida kills it. Everytime I ride there I can believe that the scene is ...more

I've been to Tampa a million times but I never have my damn bike! Its a curse man, I always see some sick spots and parks in Tampa and it makes me jealous lol. I've probably seen your bike in Daytona before, what does it look like?

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican