BMX 180 Help

Related:
Create New Tag

1/16/2020 7:48 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/2/2020 8:22 AM

|

1/16/2020 10:47 AM

Just practice. That's a normal part of learning a 180. Practice your fakies a little the same time your trying 180s. It helps.

|

1/16/2020 11:07 AM

quick16g wrote:

Just practice. That's a normal part of learning a 180. Practice your fakies a little the same time your trying 180s. It helps.

I know them really well. Learned them last year and have no problems with them. Just this part of the 180

|

1/16/2020 11:50 AM

Hard to tell from one video, but here's a few suggestions.

Go a bit faster. You had no momentum left when you landed.
You landed back tire first, and were off balance by the time the front touched. Try to get the back a bit higher, and land more level.
Shift your weight toward your seat at the landing. Looks like you're too much over the bars, shifting back will help ease into the fakie.
Can you g-turn or endo-180 into a fakie? Same skill, practice those for warm up.

But mostly, it's just practice until muscle memory takes over.

|

Remember when you could ride all day and not be sore for a week?
Instagram: @theothermaj

1/16/2020 12:26 PM

MJbmx wrote:

You landed back tire first, and were off balance by the time the front touched. Try to get the back a bit higher, and land more level.
Shift your weight toward your seat at the landing. Looks like you're too much over the bars, shifting back will help ease into the fakie.
Can you g-turn or endo-180 into a fakie? Same skill, practice those for warm up.

Main problem is that I have to put my foot down. And that problem is there for a long time

|

1/16/2020 12:28 PM

MJbmx wrote:

Will turning my head even more help?

|

1/16/2020 12:31 PM

You are tilting your body while rotating. You need to stay on axis and land straight up and down or you will be forced to put a foot down. Speed does help straighten you out if you land a bit wonky.

Can you do a track stance? Like just balance your bike without moving? If you can, do track standing 180's. That will help you figure out how to land straight up and down after the 180 rotation and not put a foot down.

|

1/16/2020 12:34 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

You are tilting your body while rotating. You need to stay on axis and land straight up and down or you will be forced to put a foot down. Speed does help straighten you out if you land a bit wonky.

Can you do a track stance? Like just balance your bike without moving? If you can, do track standing 180's. That will help you figure out how to land straight up and down after the 180 rotation and not put a foot down.

I can trackstand. Good idea. I might try that out. Thanks for the advice.
Maybe turning my head even more will help?

|

1/16/2020 12:36 PM

I see no reason for you needing to put your foot down.

You are simply putting your foot down out of habit.

simply pedal forward as soon as you land. You're really not going fast enough to roll backwards so the only option is to either pedal forward or pedal and keep spinning the rest of the 180.

either way. stop putting your foot down. it's really that simple.

|

1/16/2020 12:50 PM

pnj wrote:

simply pedal forward as soon as you land. You're really not going fast enough to roll backwards so the only option is to either pedal forward or pedal and keep spinning the rest of the 180.

I put my foot down because i feel that im falling to the left side every time. I never land like centered over the bike.

|

1/16/2020 1:35 PM

Tarik_Hadzalic wrote:

I put my foot down because i feel that im falling to the left side every time. I never land like centered over the bike.

it's habit. just push forward with your forward foot once you 180.

FIGHT to not put your foot down.

|

1/16/2020 1:45 PM

pnj wrote:

Tarik_Hadzalic wrote:

pnj wrote:

But I want to fakie haha

|

1/16/2020 3:36 PM

Tarik_Hadzalic wrote:

pnj wrote:

Tarik_Hadzalic wrote:

But I want to fakie haha

Not gonna happen for you at the speed you were going in that video.

|

Don’t put 25.4 bars in a 22.2 stem.

1/16/2020 3:53 PM

MJbmx wrote:

Tarik_Hadzalic wrote:

Main problem is that I have to put my foot down. And that problem is there for a long time

You put the foot down because you are clearly off balance after the back tire hits, which gets worse when the front hits. It's not a mental thing cuz you aren't hesitating, and your rotation is good so it's not a head turn thing. Again, try to land with both tires, or at least close to level, and shift your weight back as you land. You can totally fakie at that speed (bit more would help), but it helps to shift your weight back as you land.

Other suggestions here are good to. Track stand 180s might help level out the landing as well.

|

Remember when you could ride all day and not be sore for a week?
Instagram: @theothermaj

1/16/2020 4:43 PM

MJbmx wrote:

Tarik_Hadzalic wrote:

MJbmx wrote:

You put the foot down because you are clearly off balance after the back tire hits, which gets worse when the front hits. It's not a mental thing cuz you aren't hesitating, and your rotation is good so it's not a head turn thing. Again, try to land with both tires, or at least close to level, and shift your weight back as you land. You can totally fakie at that speed (bit more would help), but it helps to shift your weight back as you land.

Other suggestions here are good to. Track stand 180s might help level out the landing as well.

Ill do my best. Thank you for your time

|

1/16/2020 4:47 PM

Tarik_Hadzalic wrote:

MJbmx wrote:

Tarik_Hadzalic wrote:

Keep at it, one day it’ll all just click.

|

Don’t put 25.4 bars in a 22.2 stem.

1/17/2020 9:08 AM

MJbmx wrote:

Tarik_Hadzalic wrote:

Spongeworthy wrote:

Keep at it, one day it’ll all just click.

Fixed the problem haha. All i had to do is just jump straight up instead of my focusing on the carve. Landed 2 today in a short period of time.

|

1/18/2020 3:31 AM

From this attempt I see 2 problems - You aren't carving very much before you hop, if you carve the opposite way before you start the carve for the 180, then you'll have more room to carve.
Your weight is too far to the left, work on landing with your weight centred.
And also if you can't rollout then learn those first.

|

1/18/2020 5:44 AM

LMX000 wrote:

From this attempt I see 2 problems - You aren't carving very much before you hop, if you carve the opposite way before you start the carve for the 180, then you'll have more room to carve.

When i carve more i get catapulted off of my bike haha.
Thank You

|

1/18/2020 2:04 PM

I noticed you where going pretty slow. I just learned 180s not too long ago. If you go faster you should have more speed faking and be able to fakie out. I had a lot of issues where I landed forward heavy causing me to explode off my bike. I’d say go faster and don’t crave like crazy. I found it easier to halfcab out instead of fakie out

|

1/19/2020 4:08 AM

_bmxican_ wrote:

I noticed you where going pretty slow. I just learned 180s not too long ago. If you go faster you should have more speed faking and be able to fakie out. I had a lot of issues where I landed forward heavy causing me to explode off my bike. I’d say go faster and don’t crave like crazy. I found it easier to halfcab out instead of fakie out

You are the same as me haha. Thank You

|

1/20/2020 2:33 AM

First practice straight hops higher, faster, and work on getting them consistent.

Then practice 180's the same. To get them at a faster pace try to focus more on the hop (big as possible) rather than the rotation. The rotation will become more natural and easier when you have hops locked in nicely.

Add pushups and repeat.

|

1/20/2020 3:01 AM

LMX000 wrote:

Carving is not necessary for 180s and is actually a bad habit to have, because when you get better and need to do them quickly/coming at weird angles/out from a grind you can’t carve the way you’d want.

OP, you need to go faster and start backpedalling, that’s it. Stop putting your foot down immediatly.

|

1/20/2020 7:14 AM

LMX000 wrote:

Fatalize wrote:

Carving is not necessary for 180s and is actually a bad habit to have, because when you get better and need to do them quickly/coming at weird angles/out from a grind you can’t carve the way you’d want.

OP, you need to go faster and start backpedalling, that’s it. Stop putting your foot down immediatly.

I totally agree about the things you said about carving. And i agree that it is a bad habit.

|