BMX And Money

Related:
Create New Tag

1/22/2016 4:21 PM

*Cue that song Money by Pink Floyd*

BMX has never really been the most lucrative thing in the world. For a lot of reasons. It's difficult and dangerous to be good at, bikes require a lot more effort to make than a skateboard and cost a lot more if you want a decent one, and parents usually see it as a potentially bad environment for a child. But this isn't new news, and it surely doesn't kill BMX. It still is very much alive and still makes a decent profit compared to other things.

Lately, there has been a big stir up in BMX through the last few months. Adam LZ on Stranger, Harry Main Joining MafiaBikes, among other people lashing out towards the way BMX seems to be turning, it's been a little odd to say the least. At least to me, BMX isn't in the early 2000s anymore, we are in an even more technological era. Whether or not we enjoy that is up to you, but that's not what I'm here to complain about or question.

Times have definitely changed. 4-5 Years ago if you said "webisode" people would've looked at you funny. Okay maybe not, but it's a new form of content really for BMX. It's not really like an edit or a DVD part, it's just some people and how they spent that day with their friends riding bikes. It's cool. I enjoy webisodes and such. Shit, my friends and I make them too! (BethanyBMX) But a lot of companies (until now) completely ignored LZ, Boqer123, etc. due to the fact that the following wasn't HUGE. Now it is. Kids have been stoked on them and now they're buying parts based on what these dudes ride. (How many people do you think bought the Deco Lifted frame based on how LZ rode it? A lot. I remember seeing something Chad Degroot said about it.)

But is this a good thing or a bad thing? BMX isn't a lifestyle for a lot of these kids like it is for me and many others. BMX does, however, need some more economic flow to continue it's prolonged existence and grow to really start having a hand in changing things. There is a lot of "ifs" there, I know. But here, where i live (WV), a lot of parks don't even allow bikes. Simply put, not that many people ride bikes around here to complain about it enough to change it. But in Wheeling, (based on one of my first threads I made on here way back in 2012 I think), more people skate. Why? Wheeling is a bunch of poor people (these days), and a skateboard doesn't need to cost more than 150$. A small price to pay for a lot of fun. There is a big park and they refuse to allow bikes since there really aren't many people trying.

Not saying there aren't kids on shitty walmart mongoose bikes, but they are usually too young to know better. A real skatepark has BMX Lifers there that keep it going and ride there on the regular.

Long story short, BMX is more expensive than the other spectrums of extreme sports. Even scootering (even though those idiots spend way too much on that shit), is generally cheaper. BMX isn't gonna just "Be cheaper" like it's simple to do. And there have been efforts among the population to sell stuff for less. And you technically could spend very little on your bike. I spend most of my cash in the second hand bracket of things. Through the for sale section on here to people I know. My whole bike by now probably only ran me 500$.

I'm digressing. Sorry. BMX is growing and changing. Props isn't around anymore (the webisodes before webisodes happened) and YouTube is the new Television. What must companies do to sell more parts and make sure BMX stays healthy and strong? Logically they have to advertise. Like anything, a sponsorship means your riding has become your job and it's your job to sell bike parts. How many pros actually do that? Not that many. If I see a professional rider I ask, "who is buying bike parts because of him?" Aaron Ross is a great Pro based on that. Sure, lots of companies "don't give a shit and sponsor who they like" and that's cool, but economically it doesn't make sense. Really, a company needs an image as well, dare I say it, CULT has the trendiest image these days. Out of the companies that are around right now. Which helps them sell their boring parts.

So naturally, BMX does need money. You cannot argue that. Without some money how can they throw jams. Make skateparks, or have cool shit like Texas Toast (didn't go up this year, Why? Not enough corporate sponsorship!).

If I had it my way, BMX (or the world) would drop the Capitalistic side of things. And just make sure it's all for fun and everyone gets a bike and the jams were just a naturally provided thing from the bicycle community coming together.

This won't happen. We live in an angry world and people are too self concerned for any of that to work. So how do we find the happy medium? How do we find the way in which people join BMX and stick around and people don't worry about money? What is the piece we are missing to create a perfect BMX world?

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

1/22/2016 4:54 PM

I can see allot of pros who don't make allot of money start making YouTube accounts to try to get some YouTube money , it'd be the smart thing to do and we'd all get more awsome content

|

1/22/2016 5:08 PM

OMG BethanyBMX! I'm one of your subscribers! Totally fangirling over here "ahhhhhhhhh"! I really like your channel

/awesome sauce

|

"STREET" all day, ere'day.

1/22/2016 5:10 PM

there's nothing wrong with making money doing something you have a passion for but when it just becomes about the money then it's a problem... just my 2 cents...

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
I'm Mr. Meeseeks, Looks at me!

1/22/2016 5:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/22/2016 5:25 PM

Honestly, valid points, and well worded.

I think BMX needs to lose the cocky, "I am better than you"/"your bike is stupid because it doesn't look like mine" attitudes that run RAMPANT in the sport. Yes, it is a sport. Don't like that title, fine, but you are using a bicycle (cycling is a sport, and we are a division of cycling) where you GET EXERCISE, you can do it for fun, or for a living in various manners. If NASCAR and COD are sports, there is NO denying BMX is.

Anywho, the attitudes and just all around ass-holery is what needs to stop. Most of my complaints being an old fart who has been riding longer than many BMXers have been alive is that there is no sense of community in a lot of parks and spots. I hear a lot of shit-talk, especially when it comes to bike setups. It used to be THAT you rode a bike, you were able to get along just fine. Now with the "new" riders it seems to be HOW you ride, and HOW you set your bike up.

The variety seems to be gone too. I recall riding trails, street, park and flatland all in a single day, and everyone we rode with was down to ride everything. Brakes were fun, people had all iterations of bike setups, no one whined or made fun of them for riding different stuff. Now it is basically riding street (a ledge or wedge), and maybe some hang 5s near the ledge or wedge. Some dudes just ride park. That's it. No one rides trails around here anymore, because they "are too much work" and "no one else built em". Seems a lot of kids don't want to put in work.

Maybe I am old, maybe I am bitter, but I feel like a lot of the younger crowd is taking what BMX can be for granted. Kids trash everything, treat everyone like shit (purely because they spend tons of time online bashing people with the anonymity of the internet and cannot detach from it) scam other riders out of parts by setting up "online trades" they never intend to make good on, and act like everyone in the world OWES THEM purely for existing. I just hope if my son gets into riding he doesn't become one of the ungrateful little shits that is an awful human being. I sure as hell will do my best to stop that from happening.

Touching base on the money side, we ABSOLUTELY need money to keep the industry going. Kids want newer lighter better stronger, and that takes a lot of money to make happen. Then kids break parts and bash companies online and whine to get free parts and expect free parts purely because they broke a part (regardless of how or how long it lasted), and they expect to pay nothing for parts too. There was a time when top pros were paid well, BUT there were fewer top pros. It started to change to kids riding for a few bucks and free parts, and brought the pay lower and lower.

We need to get commercial coverage to bring more money into the sport, period. We NEED things like xgames. Sad to say, but that event brings a TON of money into all aspects, new riders, people paying to see it, riders getting paid for winning etc, advertising and so on. It brings non riders in. Some think it looks easy, and get pissed when they can't do flipwhips an hour into riding for the first time because "it looked easy" so they quit. Some become lifelong riders. Some do it to be trendy. Either way it is money in BMX when they buy parts, bikes, clothing and other stuff. We gotta be spending money to keep the industry going.

TLDR; Attitudes in BMX suck-"me first-ride like me or you suck", no variety or work ethic in new riders, old fart complains about damn kids, money is a necessary evil to keep bmx going.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/22/2016 5:30 PM

"Kids trash everything, treat everyone like shit (purely because they spend tons of time online bashing people with the anonymity of the internet and cannot detach from it) scam other riders out of parts by setting up "online trades" they never intend to make good on, and act like everyone in the world OWES THEM purely for existing."

This attitude isn't exclusive to BMX. If you don't believe me look at YELP reviews. Look at other subcultures...music, art. This is what the world is becoming and BMX is just another reflection of that. No one has any respect anymore. No one wants to buy music when they can stream it for free. No one wants to tip waitresses when they can get it delivered from Grubhub. No one wants to buy DVD's when they can see it on youtube. Kids also lack attention spans these days.

My personal stance is summed up by what 90east posted.
Photo

|

My Ride
My Other Ride
I've sold stuff to Ecuadevil, LLURider, and Mario.villegas90 with no complaints.
IG: evildeadhands

1/22/2016 5:40 PM

ironmaiden666 wrote:

"Kids trash everything, treat everyone like shit (purely because they spend tons of time online bashing people with the ...more

Saw this on their IG too bad I cant like it more than once, 90East knows whats up.

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
I'm Mr. Meeseeks, Looks at me!

1/22/2016 6:38 PM

Didn't read all of it , but companies like S&M , Standard , and FBM seem to be true to the roots and good for BMX . Then others like Hyper and Stranger are in it for the imagine and money . Kids will obviously be attracted to oilslick , and they'll sell but it's the OG companies that have done their own thing and I'm sure in time this bullshit oilslick coaster 4 piece bars trend will go away and people will start spending money on the good side of BMX . And the BMX riders that start on these gimmicks will get older and realize for themselves that the OG companies are the ones worth investing in .

At the same time , everyone needs money to live , if this oilslick lives let the companies do their thing with it until it dies out or they switch things around . Everyone started somewhere .

My local bike shop is moving sad it's about money and business for everyone ultimately , it's the intentions that need to be pure . You can not run a legit company without money !

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

1/22/2016 7:10 PM

eskimojay wrote:

I can see allot of pros who don't make allot of money start making YouTube accounts to try to get some YouTube money , it'd be ...more

I honestly think it'd be a smart idea for each company to start a webisode series thing, or more individual riders buying into it more.

People like Dugan and Ross were the hot shit on Props and all sorts of stuff like that. Imagine how big that channel would be if they got into it? They'd make lots of money and they could do it exactly how they want!

That's the thing for me. People bitch and moan about how Adam LZ and others do their shit, but do you see them doing a different thing? Nope. They could just as easily get a camera and make some videos how they want. Plus more channels would be sick (it's blizzarding where I am so it'd be rad to watch some more BMX stuff).

I think it's important to realize how much potential it has. I just hope some legit companies read this somehow and take action! lol

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

1/22/2016 7:11 PM

ironmaiden666 wrote:

"Kids trash everything, treat everyone like shit (purely because they spend tons of time online bashing people with the ...more

quoting this since it's amazing and needs to be everywhere.

It's nothing but the truth there. FBM said something like this too.

|

1/22/2016 7:12 PM

Buzzbegone wrote:

OMG BethanyBMX! I'm one of your subscribers! Totally fangirling over here "ahhhhhhhhh"! I really like your channel

/awesome ...more

haha rad dude, I really appreciate it! We have been attempting to make videos more often but it's so crappy outside nobody can get anywhere to film and shit.

|

1/22/2016 8:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/22/2016 8:02 PM

My main thing is motocross so it's funny to me when people talk about BMX being expensive. Not being a dick or saying I am better than anyone, just my perspective.

Skateboarding was never for me because you just cant go as fast haha.

|

Buy/Sell Refs: Showtime402, fsearles, ticaleb, howlerfbm (x2), irideafly, the balt (x2), MrHavoc1988. dprc

1/22/2016 8:59 PM

Buzzbegone wrote:

/awesome ...more

MaximusBikes wrote:

haha rad dude, I really appreciate it! We have been attempting to make videos more often but it's so crappy outside nobody can ...more

Watching one of your webisodes now! just subbed, like your videos man!

|

"haha, did you steal that bike? hurhrhrurhurr" "no, fuck you thats just the brand."

1/22/2016 9:04 PM

motogrizz wrote:

My main thing is motocross so it's funny to me when people talk about BMX being expensive. Not being a dick or saying I am ...more

Yeah, if you are into something like that which is big money in comparison, it is!

But for a lot of kids (most of america is lower middle class or middle middle class), It's gonna be hard to spend 400$ on a new bike. Let alone 1000$ which is what it costs for a really good one when you don't buy smart

|

1/22/2016 9:06 PM

Buzzbegone wrote:

/awesome ...more

MaximusBikes wrote:

haha rad dude, I really appreciate it! We have been attempting to make videos more often but it's so crappy outside nobody can ...more

owen.lox wrote:

Watching one of your webisodes now! just subbed, like your videos man!

Thanks so much dude! Spread the word! We wanna have big things in the spring!

|

1/23/2016 3:49 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Didn't read all of it , but companies like S&M , Standard , and FBM seem to be true to the roots and good for BMX . Then ...more

4 piece bar trend? All the OGs rock 4 piece bars...
I guess mat Hoffman, Ryan nyquist, bob scerbo and Sean burns are pretty trendy

|

My Ride
My Other Ride
I've sold stuff to Ecuadevil, LLURider, and Mario.villegas90 with no complaints.
IG: evildeadhands

1/23/2016 4:12 PM

Didn't read all of it , but companies like S&M , Standard , and FBM seem to be true to the roots and good for BMX . Then ...more

ironmaiden666 wrote:

I guess mat Hoffman, Ryan nyquist, bob scerbo and Sean burns are pretty ...more

He's not wrong though. It is trendy right now.

|

1/23/2016 7:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/23/2016 7:12 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

He's not wrong though. It is trendy right now.

My first real bmx bike (GT Show) had 4 piece bars back in 98ish... I can remember when 2 piece bars was the "trendy thing". Like it matters... Having two styles of bars and oilslick parts aren't a problem at all in bmx imo.

No one mentions the fact that parents don't spend big money on bmx, because they know there is a high chance it will get stolen. Most kids can't really be trusted with $500-$1500 items that can be stolen in seconds... I had a thousand dollar bike get stolen almost 10yrs ago and I still don't hear the end of it from my parents.

Anyway, I have yet to encounter in my 18yrs of ridding and being around people that ride bmx this "I'm too cool to ride with you" "Ur bike is crap go somewhere else" talk. That's the number one reason I stopped hanging around dudes that skated, because they always acted like that.

When me and my friends were younger and rode everyday, there was always older homies willing to ride, or sometimes even drive us to spots and ride/ chill. Never negative vibes unless you were acting like a tard.

|

1/23/2016 7:37 PM

ironmaiden666 wrote:

I ride four piecers for the feel, they're stiffer feeling and look better to me.

I would still ride them if they weren't trendy. I don't care either way, they all feel cool to me.

Not to say that the 2 piecers are bad, i would love some Moto bars in the same rise as well.

I don't think they're that bad of a trend. Odyssey is dropping some or just dropped some fours that sound cool.

|

1/23/2016 8:03 PM

Speaking of times changing... The only things I can really think of that have changed bike wise in the last 10yrs (besides frame geo) is bigger bars, top loads, super light weight parts (this has died down in the last couple of years), a lot more pattern colored parts, plastic pedals/ pegs, coasters and 2.3+ tires. Nothing really to be hating on, or calling trendy, as it's mostly personal preference.

Just looking back at my previous bike from around 9yo gives me straight instant back pains at 6'3" lol

Still hit my knees at 6' when I took this pick... Even with the Chicago'd bars.
Photo

|

1/24/2016 9:55 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Honestly, valid points, and well worded.

I think BMX needs to lose the cocky, "I am better than you"/"your bike is stupid ...more

Just how old are you Dave?

|

1/24/2016 1:00 PM

BoBo_Jenkins wrote:

He's probably in his 30's like me. The younger generation scares me! They are bigger and Hairy-er than when I was a kid!

|

"STREET" all day, ere'day.

1/24/2016 10:19 PM

Maximus and Dave props to both of you for your posts, well worded and well thought out. Though the reason why Skate and scooter have more participants and more widely accepted is much simpler than you think and not just price driven. BTW Skate is much more counter culture than BMX ever will be so 90east's post in my opinion is a crock of $hit. When I find the time I will reply with my reasoning.

|

1/25/2016 12:19 PM

ironmaiden666 wrote:

They are a trend (the bars) because they were all but GONE from most aspects of riding aside from a handful of dudes, now nearly every kid wants a set.

Same with big bars, brakeless, 4 pegs, and so on. It will come and go. Give it 5 years and a lot of dudes will be back to cassettes, small bars are already starting to pop back in, and we will go back into the trails flow style over foot tall ledges.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/25/2016 1:13 PM

The average 4 piece bars I think look like shit and serve not much of a purpose , the Hoffman low drags on the other hand I really want a pair of those

|

1/25/2016 1:29 PM

BoBo_Jenkins wrote:

I am 30, with 16+ years in BMX, and 3ish in skateboarding before that.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/25/2016 1:57 PM

ironmaiden666 wrote:

I don't understand the image above... especially this part...

"If you need to pervert this culture for popularity or to make money, do yourself a favor... stop and go get a real job."

Does this mean people who are making youtube money with their webisodes should fuck off?

How does one "pervert the culture"?

|

In real life, i'm a short Perverted Azn Man.
But in the internet, i'm a killing machine with 10 years MMA training experience.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
(͡O╭͜ʖ╮͡O)

1/25/2016 2:58 PM

Bryan91 wrote:

Speaking of times changing... The only things I can really think of that have changed bike wise in the last 10yrs (besides ...more

OH MY GOD A FAILURE GRADE 1.

I had one of those! I loved that frame! I got a new setup and a buddy got it stolen.

I would still rock it if I had it.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/25/2016 3:02 PM

one try kid wrote:

I don't understand the image above... especially this part...

"If you need to pervert this culture for popularity or to make ...more

I take it as someone who is exploiting BMX and it's culture PURELY for the money aspect. (Big corporations or a-holes trying to cash in, people thinking they can just come in, sell crap and cash in), OR people who buy bikes and clothing PURELY to fit into a subgroup (IE skater culture. Buy all the gear but don't actually skate-Posers).

I get it, and it makes sense, BUT there is a point where doing it for the love goes out the window SOMEWHAT when you have mouths to feed, bills to pay and employees to compensate.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/25/2016 3:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/25/2016 3:29 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

I take it as someone who is exploiting BMX and it's culture PURELY for the money aspect. (Big corporations or a-holes trying ...more

So... you mean... Nike, energy drinks, Nigel Sylvester and AdamLZ?

Every BMX company out there is doing it for the money.
You can't feed your family or drug addiction with BMX passion.

The line is kinda blurry.
When you're an adult, not everything is black and white.

PS I agree with everything you said.

I'm just confused with this "culture" thing now.

|

In real life, i'm a short Perverted Azn Man.
But in the internet, i'm a killing machine with 10 years MMA training experience.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
(͡O╭͜ʖ╮͡O)