BMX Appreciation Post

Related:
Create New Tag

3/28/2018 2:35 PM

As many of you know, I've been dealing with a whole lot of wrist complications after an incompetent surgeon messed me up real good.

Unfortunately, I'm "completely healed" (but still have much more therapy to do for strengthening and what not) & am physically unable to bunnyhop or even ride off a small ledge at the moment. I've been pretty dependant on pull-up bars (catch with my left hand) as my only "trick."

However, last night I somehow brought myself to learn a "real" trick that I've never imagined doing, even before everything happened to my wrist.

I learned nollie-bars practically one-handed, without ever having done even a fly-out barspin when my wrist was good.

Landing that trick was the most amazing feeling. It felt like relapsing on a drug that I haven't touched in a year (100% metaphor.) The slight physical pain was worth every bit of the emotional & mental happiness that followed.

Just wanted to take a moment to appreciate BMX & the highs & emotions that it brings. After last night, I feel that I had taken those things for granted these past few years. After nearly a year of being unable to ride, being able to overcome some mental blocks & committing & succeeding with that trick has made me feel alive again.

To BMX! Ride on.laughing

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

3/28/2018 2:58 PM

Sick! w00t Any tips? I want to finally get bars dialed in(they suck ass) and a few variations like the nollie bar, once I'm back on the bike. My brother learned regular and oppo nollie bars on flat but I just can't get my head around them.

I'm hoping to be back sometime between October and January or maybe even sooner; my ankle freakishly pulled itself back together by 5mm yesterday alone! Only 5mm left before it's back to normal and a shitload more physio!

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/28/2018 3:28 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Sick! w00t Any tips? I want to finally get bars dialed in(they suck ass) and a few variations like the nollie bar, once I'm back ...more

The nollie bars worked super well for me since 1. I don't really have to pull my body weight up with my arms & 2. there's hardly any impact from landing.

I don't really know what possessed me to try them, as I've never even done regular bars anywhere but flat (and really sloppy at that.) Seriously, if you knew me personally, you'd be really surprised to see me do that trick even in perfect conditions lol.

My theory is that because I've been doing pull-up bars like literally all over the place (only "trick" I've been able to do,) I've just gotten incredibly comfortable spinning & catching the bars.

I was originally doing nollie crankflips, and i just kinda twitched the bars one time & it felt super comfortable to throw em, so I did within a few more runs. After that, it was just a matter of catching them the same way I do when I pull-up bar.

Maybe it's the pull-up bars, maybe it's the new bike, could even be my new stretching regimend (moving my body more & better,) any which way, I'm so hyped on it!

The only real piece of advice that comes to mind is ass back, legs straight, chest forward, & THROW DEM BITCHES. The rest you will figure out on the way down haha.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

3/28/2018 4:21 PM

That feeling of landing a trick when you didn’t know you could. I was trying to feeble a ledge the other day and ended up pulling up to hard and side hopping onto it. Was pretty stoked. Also learned 360s out of a bank today while trying to 180!

|

An Indian on a small bike

3/28/2018 4:30 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Sick! w00t Any tips? I want to finally get bars dialed in(they suck ass) and a few variations like the nollie bar, once I'm back ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

The nollie bars worked super well for me since 1. I don't really have to pull my body weight up with my arms & 2. there's ...more

I was really hoping you'd figured out some strange little tip that just blew your mind and helped you land it tongue. That's how I landed my first whip; I think I watched Stevie's tailwhip tutorial and even though I'd probably watched it 5 times by then, that one time, something he said hit me like a slap in the face: he said to "put the bike under you", rather than going to the bike like I'd been trying. I landed my first hop tailwhip later that night.

I've since found that there's a simple but mind-blowing little tip for just about anything. smile

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/28/2018 4:48 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

The nollie bars worked super well for me since 1. I don't really have to pull my body weight up with my arms & 2. there's ...more

p1p1092 wrote:

I was really hoping you'd figured out some strange little tip that just blew your mind and helped you land it tongue. That's how I ...more

I think the key is really pull-up bars. Seriously. Just get comfortable doing them going fast. Out of banks, into banks, off curbs, etc.

The whole time I was preparing myself to throw the bars, I kept telling myself that it was just a pull up bar. Sure enough, as soon as I committed it ended up being as easy as a pull up bar. Just don't over think it!

|

3/28/2018 4:56 PM

I 100% think the best feeling is when you can finally ride again after being injured. Getting the "Ok." to ride again after I tore my ACL was amazing. I was actually in physical therapy when I was told I could ride (Just pedal) again, sitting on the exercise bike and texted my friends to ride even though it had just snowed heavily days before and there was nowhere to ride, I was determined to come out and I did

It's also weird (in a funny way) how being off the bike for awhile can cause you to try/learn new things. Years ago I was grounded for about a month once, came out and somehow could magically do vertical wallrides now... something just clicked and I love that feeling

|

3/28/2018 4:57 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

I was really hoping you'd figured out some strange little tip that just blew your mind and helped you land it tongue. That's how I ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I think the key is really pull-up bars. Seriously. Just get comfortable doing them going fast. Out of banks, into banks, off ...more

I'll try them that way so. I have never done a pull-up bar, guess I should learn. Then again, in the past 2 years, I've only done 2 hop bars so I probably have quite a bit of work to do on them. I'd probably be learning the nollie bar on flat as it'll be the middle of winter when I get to that point again and I'll have no spots. At least it'll be entertaining for anyone riding with me laughing.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

3/28/2018 5:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/28/2018 5:07 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I 100% think the best feeling is when you can finally ride again after being injured. Getting the "Ok." to ride again after I ...more

Hell yeah. Because you're just sitting there thinking about it and picturing it in your head. Also, hope everything works out for you, OP.

|

3/28/2018 5:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/28/2018 5:11 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

I'll try them that way so. I have never done a pull-up bar, guess I should learn. Then again, in the past 2 years, I've only ...more

You got it dawg!

Just remember, you're only afraid of spinning the bars, not the nollie or the bunny hop.

Just get comfortable spinning the bars & it will begin to feel natural to throw them in the air as well. Also boosts your confidence a lot.

Also, using a 4th peg & resting your heel on it makes pull-up bars a million times easier. Some say it's cheating, but it's a freaking pull up bar after all. + it shouldn't take long after getting comfortable with pull up bars, that you'll start to feel ready for real barspins.

|

3/28/2018 9:00 PM

Nice job man! My buddy dreams of learning this trick when his foot heals up!

|

3/28/2018 9:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/28/2018 9:18 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Nice job man! My buddy dreams of learning this trick when his foot heals up!

Coming from someone who would have never spent the time trying it the last time I was able to ride (nearly a year ago damn near,) it's really not hard, out of a big, steep bank at least. Just a matter of being comfortable with spinning the bars in general & committing.

If I could learn them in an hour essentially one handed, after not riding in nearly a year, I have faith that everyone who reads this can do them.

If y'all take it upon yourselves to go learn nollie bars, post them here! I want to see.

|

3/28/2018 10:39 PM

Stoked for you mate!

|

3/29/2018 5:10 AM

Ace man. Looked really smooth too!

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

3/30/2018 8:20 AM

Looked so good, and I'm sure it felt 100x better than it looked. Once I really lock in manuals, 180's and fakies, barspins are my next trick to learn. I know from how many videos and tutorials i've watched its really just mostly mental.

Leaned up with my back wheel against a wall or a curb, I'm definitely getting more comfortable throwing them and catching them which is a great feeling. Especially since these are the widest bars I've ever had.

Either way, this is whats so addictive about BMX. This sense of achievement and accomplishment is something I crave and really feed off of. My girlfriend is finally understanding that me being so into it isn't a "phase" it's something that helps my mental and physical health immensely.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

3/30/2018 10:37 AM

BMX is a little more enchanting to me than any other thing. I feel like I'm in complete control of a weapon, and I'm one of the few that know how to use it. I can go anywhere, I can defy physics and get places no one but I can! And getting back on the steed after a bad injury is like dying and being reborn- you almost feel like you've gained some renewed sense of awareness. BUT the bike is also a being in itself, it can get injured, it needs to be maintained and taken care of- Making BMX really a very intimate, emotion filled relationship between the Rider, the Bike and the World around them. It feels good.

|

3/30/2018 10:43 AM

Phunny93 wrote:

BMX is a little more enchanting to me than any other thing. I feel like I'm in complete control of a weapon, and I'm one of ...more

Hell yeah.

Yesterday I was in a bit of a rush, I wanted to get home, take the dog out, and drop my bike at the shop (30 blocks south) to get the brakes dialed in before they closed.

On my way down, some douche in a Subaru decided to make a left from the right hand lane, cutting across 3 lanes of traffic and heading right for me.

On any other bike or if I was walking, I might have been creamed. But I hopped up the curb, zipped around him, and hopped up an over a couple of garbage bags and didn't skip a beat.

I felt like a fuckin ninja for the rest of the day.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

3/30/2018 11:42 AM

Bro I feel your pain. I nose dived to flat a coup years ago and wrecked my collar bone/shoulder. The surgeon left me worse off than I was. So in the meantime, dealing with a half working arm and looking for a new surgeon, what am I doing? Building another bike, of course! Finally hit the trails, rode a bank,did an abubaca. Yup good enough excuse for me!

|

In midschool bike rides you.