BMX BOTTOM BRACKET NOISE HELP

Related:
Create New Tag

7/19/2018 3:02 PM

Hi, I have a issue or maybe completely normal thing with my bmx bike. Whenever I pedal, it happens every now and then, the cranks almost stop for a split second going forward and make a clunky noise. Also when I pedal normally I hear a slight creak noise. Could this be a broken bearing in the bottom bracket, if it was it wouldn’t work at all? Possibly the cranks need regreasing/bearings?

Thanks guys

|

7/19/2018 3:11 PM

That could be anything in your drivetrain. Might even be something to do with you powerwashing your bike...

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

7/19/2018 3:23 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

That could be anything in your drivetrain. Might even be something to do with you powerwashing your bike...

What could power washing do/how could it affect the bmx?

|

7/19/2018 3:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/19/2018 4:40 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Hasan_Naqvi wrote:

Please, tell me you're joking...

You're shooting a shitload of extremely high-velocity water at bearings and moving parts, potentially(most likely) filling them with water and then refusing to take the bike apart to check it when you're told to take basic maintenance steps to ensure that water doesn't corrode or otherwise damage your parts.

Is your chain lubed? If so, with what? Are your hub cones tight? Are your cranks tight? Is your sprocket tight? These are the first things I'd look at to try to solve the problem you've described.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

7/19/2018 11:11 PM

Sounds like it's chain/sprocket, or chain/driver related. Worn chain? Worn sprocket? Worn driver? All of the above?
Over time a chain will stretch. As it stretches it wears the driver (and eventually the sprocket). Once it's worn to a certain point, or if you replace one but not the other, they won't engage properly.

Could also be a bad chainline

|

7/20/2018 9:24 AM

You need a new bike... what you have is unfixable...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

7/20/2018 10:49 AM

Take apart and re grease the BB and rear hub. If you pressure washed your bike you will probably have to do this...

|

7/20/2018 10:51 AM

You came to a forum for help, we told you what you need to do, yet you refuse to do so.

Take the bike apart before it really falls apart.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

7/20/2018 10:58 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

Hasan_Naqvi wrote:

Power washing can push dirt and grime into the bearings, even sealed. Best thing to do is to take the bottom bracket apart. Clean and dry everything with a clean rag. Then relube everything and put it back together. If you have sealed bearings, be sure to put the spacer in between the bearings. And if it still is doing it then you might have to do a little trick I do. But, that involves removing 1 seal on each bearing with a razor blade. Cleaning them out and relubricating the bearings themselves. It’s not hard but you have to be very careful and do it slowly if you have no real experience with bottom brackets. I only do this if I have had my bearings over 6 months. Because they are pretty good from the factory. But they can be better than they are from the factory. If anyone wants a how to on this, let me know I can do a video or step by step with pictures

|

7/20/2018 11:04 AM

readybmxer wrote:

You came to a forum for help, we told you what you need to do, yet you refuse to do so.

Take the bike apart before it really ...more

This is an infuriating pattern I've noticed on this forum. I call people that do this "Askholes" they ask a question, they get an answer, and then they basically say "thanks for the advice, but I'm going to do it my way anyway"

And then they come back to ask more questions because they fucked up.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

7/20/2018 3:05 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

You need a new bike... what you have is unfixable...

Lol nope

|

7/20/2018 3:05 PM

readybmxer wrote:

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

This is an infuriating pattern I've noticed on this forum. I call people that do this "Askholes" they ask a question, they get ...more

No I’m not an askhole your an askhole

|

7/20/2018 3:44 PM

readybmxer wrote:

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

This is an infuriating pattern I've noticed on this forum. I call people that do this "Askholes" they ask a question, they get ...more

Hasan_Naqvi wrote:

Ok dude. For real. Just fuck off... you ask US a question, WE give YOU an answer, you don't take our answer and try to bash us, wow. That makes a lot of sensew00t

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

7/20/2018 7:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/20/2018 7:18 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Hasan_Naqvi wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Ok dude. For real. Just fuck off... you ask US a question, WE give YOU an answer, you don't take our answer and try to bash ...more

True words

I even said I would make a video step by step

|