BMX Bike Of The Future!

Related:
Create New Tag

6/8/2016 1:33 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/8/2016 1:36 AM

No, it's not real, but maybe it will be one day!

Nickolay Boltachev, a Russian graphic designer, has created this mere computer graphic of a BMX concept. Of course, this article is quite old, so maybe you've seen it before, but this is a 1st for me and thought I'd share it with the ones who haven't seen this yet.

There are TONS of questions I personally have. Things like brakes, gyros, bearings, drive, and stuff like that. But overall, I think this is quite cool. There's no telling where this crazy idea will go, but I think it has potential mostly outside of the BMX industry. I could see road bikes becoming twice as light with design like this, haha!

But, at the end of the day, it's just a concept.

Photo

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

6/8/2016 5:11 AM

"graphic designer"

We're done here.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

6/8/2016 6:11 AM

readybmxer wrote:

Nickolay Boltachev, a Russian graphic designer, has created this mere computer graphic of a BMX concept. Of course, this article is quite old, so maybe you've seen it before, but this is a 1st for me and thought I'd share it with the ones who haven't seen this yet.

There are TONS of questions I personally have. Things like brakes, gyros, bearings, drive, and stuff like that. But overall, I think this is quite cool. There's no telling where this crazy idea will go, but I think it has potential mostly outside of the BMX industry. I could see road bikes becoming twice as light with design like this, haha!

Photo

This image is so old, but its cool.
The design has so many flaws ill start with the fork and prompt you to look up a cannondale lefty.

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

6/8/2016 6:16 AM

No structural integrity, for any real bike. But I get that it's just a concept image.

As for drive, I've seen similar concept images. The idea is some kind of kinetic or magnetic system that's too complicated for me to understand how it would work in the real world

|

6/8/2016 6:18 AM

readybmxer wrote:

Photo

needs pegs.... oh wait....

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
I'm Mr. Meeseeks, Looks at me!

6/8/2016 7:16 AM

Looks like a jad but missing some integral pieces...

|

6/8/2016 8:06 AM

readybmxer wrote:

Photo

Brokenbmx wrote:

The design has so many flaws ill start with the fork and prompt you to look up a cannondale lefty.

Lefty's are a terrible idea imo. To be fair, I've never seen one fail first hand. But the design seems overly engineered for no real benefit (you could argue weight. But the the chunkyness of the leg and hub make them weigh more than a good pair of forks and a good hub. I can't see how it could be stronger either)

|

6/8/2016 8:21 AM

readybmxer wrote:

Photo

The seat post does look fragile.

Me, I think the BMX will evolve towards a shorter rear end, a taller stand over, a steeper head tube, aluminum cranks...

Hell, a BMX cannot change that much because it is already in it's most simplest and sturdiest form...

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

6/8/2016 8:22 AM

readybmxer wrote:

Photo

BMX bikes are probably at one of the best times currently , in terms of reliability and strength / weight ratio . Obviously with time things get better but it's hard to imagine bikes getting stronger than being able halfcab El Toro and truck off roofs .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

6/8/2016 9:51 AM

readybmxer wrote:

Photo

Skylight wrote:

Me, I think the BMX will evolve towards a shorter rear end, a taller stand over, a steeper head tube, aluminum cranks...

Hell, a BMX cannot change that much because it is already in it's most simplest and sturdiest form...

Bit late with the prediction there. I can't imagine anyone ever wanting or needing shorter than 13" rear end due to the complete lack of stability. Stand over height has changed plenty of times to keep up with trends, again, 9" is way more than most people will ever want or need. Head tube angles have varied plenty depending on what the frame is for (a flatland specific bike in the 90's would have a super steep head angle, 0 sweep bars, 0 rake forks, and a few brands made 0 reach stems). And alloy cranks have been around pretty much as long as steel/chromoly

|

6/8/2016 10:09 AM

readybmxer wrote:

Photo

Skylight wrote:

"Hell, a BMX cannot change that much because it is already in it's most simplest and sturdiest form..."

agreed..."if it ain't broke...."

and honestly, that concept bike is pretty ugly in my opinion. there are some inherently beautiful things about a bike...the wheels being one of them. Wheels without spokes and hubs are just boring to me....I would take extra weight, and a better aesthetic over that any day...
|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

6/8/2016 4:24 PM

I don't know. I'm not sure BMX is done evolving yet. Obviously things like geometry will trend around a bit, but there are still things to be (affordably) improved on.

I think materials is still an area someone could look at. HSLA steel is pretty cool, but I haven't been around it enough to know if it is an improvement. I think a stainless steel frame would be insanely nice if you can get the right alloy, in the right temper and right shape.

I would love to see someone screw around with stiffness a bit. I think a crazy stiff rear end, and a more flexible front triangle would be sick. It would be energy efficient to pump, but the front would absorb some of the shock. I think you could do that by screwing around with the tube sizes.

I think it's a fucking travesty that there's only one company post weld heat treating frames. I know why more people don't do it, but I think it's worthwhile.

Dent resistance would be nice. I smash the fuck out of my chainstay.

That's all I really have.

|

6/8/2016 4:27 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Photo

Brokenbmx wrote:

It's purely a concept and will likely never see production.

Most bike brands (bigger ones anyway) that make all styles of bikes (MTB, ROAD ETC) do one off concepts for the heck of it. Sometimes it is just a rendering like this, sometimes it makes it to a full size prototype or one off model.

Specialized created a TANDEM CARBON ROAD BIKE with Hydraulic brakes that sits at their HQ in Cali as a one off. They also have some HUGE trikes (think big wheels from being a kid back in the day) but ADULT sized and a bunch of other stuff.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/8/2016 8:51 PM

I'd like to see chainstays with thicker walks on the bottom, or the tubes possibly filled with plastic or aluminum or something to help prevent dents. A sliding axle, that has a bolt head on one end, and you thread the but onto the other end, so you have the strength of a male axle for pegs, but the flush look of a female axle. Bearings on brake arms, to pivot smooth. Love the idea of stainless as well, and I loved the look of the S&M LTF frames, eitge the 2 galvanized options. I miss magnesium pegs and pedals for grinds, or titanium for that matter, loved the spark show. Stainless chains, hard chrome finishes on parts(not the shiny shot that flakes off, but the dull stuff that doesn't scratch or flake or rust as easy. (hell, any sort of tool coating, black oxide would be cool)

|

6/8/2016 8:55 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Photo

Bullshit, there's not enough oilslick & the tires aren't colored 5.9" tires

This concept is so old, I remember posting it myself like 7 years ago haha

|

6/8/2016 11:30 PM

Most of the suggestions have either been tried and tested, or are readily available. Chromoly is the perfect material for bmx frames. That doesn't need to change. But the quality could be better (more companies using ox platinum maybe?). Chromoly is also a stainless steel. There's more than 1 company post weld heat treating frames, but it's yet to be proved whether it's worth it anyway imo. There's been quite a few frames with a plate welded to the chainstay's to prevent denting. Geometry will always change with trends and I'm sure at some point longer back ends will become cool (maybe trails will become a lot more popular again?).
Bikes don't need to be lighter, or more responsive. Brands have played with those ideas plenty, not many people like a bike that's too light, or so responsive it feels sketchy.
Everything has changed in bmx since the early days. I really can't see a new groundbreaking idea popping up any time soon. Pretty much any idea anyone will come up with has already been thought about. I could list so many ideas that were tried and failed, things that even became pretty popular until they started failing

|

6/9/2016 2:58 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Most of the suggestions have either been tried and tested, or are readily available. Chromoly is the perfect material for bmx frames. That doesn't need to change. But the quality could be better (more companies using ox platinum maybe?). Chromoly is also a stainless steel. There's more than 1 company post weld heat treating frames, but it's yet to be proved whether it's worth it anyway imo. There's been quite a few frames with a plate welded to the chainstay's to prevent denting. Geometry will always change with trends and I'm sure at some point longer back ends will become cool (maybe trails will become a lot more popular again?).
Bikes don't need to be lighter, or more responsive. Brands have played with those ideas plenty, not many people like a bike that's too light, or so responsive it feels sketchy.
Everything has changed in bmx since the early days. I really can't see a new groundbreaking idea popping up any time soon. Pretty much any idea anyone will come up with has already been thought about. I could list so many ideas that were tried and failed, things that even became pretty popular until they started failing

Cromoly is something like 1% chromium. Stainless steel closer to 15%.

Cromoly is good, but there is better. The thing that makes stainless appealing to me is the rigidity.

Chainstay skidplates are a bit stone age.

|

6/9/2016 3:07 AM

Not skid plates, but actually engineered to be tougher where they're more likely to get hit, or making them solid by filling them with a lighter metal

|

6/9/2016 4:35 AM

Robby-Joe_Douglas wrote:

Not skid plates, but actually engineered to be tougher where they're more likely to get hit, or making them solid by filling them with a lighter metal

Exactly.

I might be a bit of a Sunday fanboy, but I like the Soundwave chainstays. Just move that shit completely out of the way.

|

6/9/2016 6:33 AM

Name a material better for a bmx frame.
If you want stronger stays, buy a better bike. Thicker straight gauge won't dent anywhere near as easily. Anything else will be more expensive and heavier.
The strength to weight/cost ratio of bmx frames, I believe, can't be bettered. Plenty of things have been tried and tested and it always comes back to chromoly for a few very good reasons.

|

6/9/2016 6:38 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Name a material better for a bmx frame.
If you want stronger stays, buy a better bike. Thicker straight gauge won't dent anywhere near as easily. Anything else will be more expensive and heavier.
The strength to weight/cost ratio of bmx frames, I believe, can't be bettered. Plenty of things have been tried and tested and it always comes back to chromoly for a few very good reasons.

I believe it, still would like to see some innovation for the heck of it, maybe something good will come of it. And as for material, I was hoping to see plating in place of paint, it's lighter and looks better.

|