BMX Brands

Related:
Create New Tag

4/3/2018 11:04 PM

Since this was my first year in bmx, I don't know a whole lot about the brands and what makes them different from each other. So far these are the brands I heard of. Kink, Cult, Eastern, Mongoose(and not the walmart kind), Sunday, Fit, Mafia, Stolen, WTP, Verde. Now the brands I know very little about, Hoffman, Odyssey (I only know and hear they have great aftermarket), Haro, DK, Primo, Shadow Conspiracy, Subrosa, S&M, probably more out there just not on the top of my head.

What makes you prefer one brand over the other?

|

4/3/2018 11:59 PM

Most brands have their parts made in Taiwan. So they're pretty much the same with regards to quality and stuff. Some brands are a bit more innovative and come up with new ideas, whereas others are pretty much just cookie cutter with a different logo.
Fbm, s&m, profile (and sister company madera) and standard are made in the US. That doesn't bother a lot of people, but some of the tubes they use are extremely high quality. (although the quality of the weld is just as important, there's no definite answer as to which are better or stronger).
I personally am a fan of fbm, because they're a pretty small operation, they all ride bmx, and I know the guy that welded my frame is rad. I also like profile but that's because I've never had an issue with them (others can tell a different story though).

It basically comes down to image. You have the park rat scene, the weed smoking mumble rap listening street scene, a bit more of a gnarly street scene, trails, etc. And there's different brands that appeal to different people depending on what you're into. That's the selling point in bmx now, not who makes the best parts (for the most part anyway).

G sport/odyssey make some of the best parts out there though, and they don't really stick to a specific image. Nor do profile.

Fbm legitimately seem like the only brand that hasn't changed their image to appeal to whatevers cool.

I'd suggest visiting some brands websites, watching their videos on YouTube, find out who rides for them, and see which click with you

|

4/4/2018 3:29 AM

Uh yeah, what he said

|

Ride for yourself and have fun

4/4/2018 4:24 AM

It's no secret that I'm a big fan of Mutiny.

They've put out some really great videos (especially Let's Get Mystical), they've had some really good riders on the team like Randy Taylor, Jeff Wescott, George Boyd, Dylan Lewis etc. and the team just seems like a genuine family atmosphere. Mutiny and their team still post about Randy Taylor since his death in 2012 and he still features on their website. They've also stood by Robbo since his injury last year.

They also make great parts haha

|

4/4/2018 4:43 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Most brands have their parts made in Taiwan. So they're pretty much the same with regards to quality and stuff. Some brands ...more

Pretty much this. Theres a lot of companies out there that build good stuff, but for me its about finding some brands that you really dig and or identify with and supporting them over just buying whatever is the "best". Profile makes some great strong stuff and its all made in the US. FBM is just fucking amazing. Easily my favorite company. Everyone there rides, they dont give into stupid trends, and they honestly just seem like a bunch of dudes who love bikes. Terrible One is also awesome. They dont make any of their own parts but Ive never had anything of theres that wasnt awesome and Ive spoken to Joe Rich a few times and hes always been nothing but awesome and is a huge inspiration of mine. SO for me it just about finding some brands you really like and supporting the people behind those brands.

|

4/4/2018 4:59 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/4/2018 5:02 AM

I used to be about the brands no one has, and I still am to an extent. I like to set myself apart some. I also tend not to follow what others say about a brand not being good-example would be Eastern. I ran the Boss complete for a bit (I needed too many parts to afford all aftermarket so I got the complete) and it was really good. Landed my first whip to pedals on that thing (of course I had added my own aftermarket stuff that wasn't junk).

I also had a Journey frame, which was solid and the dude I sold it to still has it. That was around 5 years ago.

I have shifted gears. I am starting to get into the rider owned and operated side of things. FBM is WAY more on my radar (thanks to grumpy steve honestly), and others in the same category. Next frame is going to either be FBM or Lairdframe.

As to the other parts, I will likely dive into some more Odyssey cranks soonish, and go from there. My hubs are good, rims are beat but still going (Demolition Zeros). My secondhand Sunday fork is still rocking too.

Side note: Steve, you might get really stoked soon-I might join the pegless army for a while. We shall see.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/4/2018 5:11 AM

Can anybody tell me what brands are actually made in the USA if any.

|

4/4/2018 5:18 AM

brettdotcom14 wrote:

Some Fit and S&M frames, forks, and bars are madd in the USA... Profile is made in the USA...

But I personally think Sunday, Odyssey, and Gsport are the best...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

4/4/2018 5:43 AM

brettdotcom14 wrote:

S&M, Profile, Standard, FBM, Relic and laird are all made in the USA. Some fit parts are as well but not all of them.
There are a few more parts made in the USA by some of these above companies for smaller companies to sell also.

|

Hmmm

4/4/2018 5:50 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Most brands have their parts made in Taiwan. So they're pretty much the same with regards to quality and stuff. Some brands ...more

I agree. FBM is one of (if not the) best bmx company out there. I own a 2012 fit BF1 and it hasn't needed anything replaced/fixed in 6 years. These bikes are bulletproof. For aftermarket I highly recommend Shadow or BSD.

|

4/4/2018 5:52 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/4/2018 5:54 AM

What can I say that hasn't been said? These guys already nailed it, as usual.

Some brands I have stuck with over the years are Standard, Primo, Fit, Profile, FBM, S&M, Animal, Snafu, Demolition, DK, Kink and Odyssey.

Other brands that have been around for a long time but I have unfortunately yet to use are Volume, WeThePeople, and TerribleOne. Always wanted to ride those frames. Maybe one day...

|

4/4/2018 6:11 AM

brettdotcom14 wrote:

It doesn't really matter if it's made in the US or not, because the products go through quality control. The bad quality products only come from Chinese companies that aren't based anywhere else.

|

4/4/2018 7:03 AM

I ride:

Sunday
Odyssey
Subrosa
S&M
FBM
Profile / Madera
WTP
Primo
Shadow Conspiracy

I ride these companies because I like their image, I like their parts, and I like that for the most part they're made in the US. They also have some of my favorite riders.

As with anything, a brand will succeed with you if they resonate with you.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

4/4/2018 7:40 AM

The brands that will give you the best bang for your buck are:
1. Odyssey (gyros, brakes, pegs, tires) (also bars, forks, and stems)
2. S&M (frames, forks, stems, bars)
3. Sunday (frames, forks, stems, bars, tires) (Sunday Soundwave v2 frame is literally the strongest frame in bmx)
4. Hoffman (I say this because their frames sell for really cheap on websites every once in a while, I picked up my lady luck for half price!) (The frames are seriously solid too, nothing on my lady luck yet)
5. FBM (Seriously solid shit too)
Everything on this list is good shit, none if it is in a certain order
Odyssey, S&M (I'm pretty sure they do), and Sunday all have lifetime warranties on their frames. Hoffman has a 5 year warranty on their frames, but after five years you are gonna be riding another bike anyways. I don't know much about FBM but I have a friend who rides FBM and says that they are really good. If you get an S&M, get a dagger, you can use it for both flatland and park, if you get a sunday, get the soundwave, it's an all around frame and it's the toughest frame you can buy. If you get a hoffman, the difference between the lady luck and the bama is the bb height on the bama is 0.1 inch lower. Not really enough to make a big difference.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

4/4/2018 9:24 AM

Anyone want to talk about how fucking horrible Ethik and Follow The Leader's apparel lines are?

It's almost scary how much people love Ethik. Their shit looks like bootleg early 90's House of Pain video wardrobe throwaways.

|

4/4/2018 10:18 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Anyone want to talk about how fucking horrible Ethik and Follow The Leader's apparel lines are?

It's almost scary how much ...more

Holy shit! You aren't kidding! Although I'd have said they stole the clothing designed used by the band EMF or Jesus Jones. Ugh!!!

|

4/4/2018 10:25 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Holy shit! You aren't kidding! Although I'd have said they stole the clothing designed used by the band EMF or Jesus Jones. ...more

I'm a little biased, and probably a bit of an elitist about clothes because my first "real" job was in apparel. I've designed probably 10,000 t-shirt graphics over the years, and began designing cut & sew garments not too long after I started with t-shirts and stuff.

But man...the stuff is just awful, and people eat it up! I'd like to start a company that kinda fixes it, because I really would be concentrating on things like t-shirts with some kind of earbud hook, shoes with reinforcements in certain spots, jeans that stretch and have low profile belt loops, etc. All BMX friendly stuff.

But alas, I know how fruitless and frustrating clothing lines are. Plus...now anyone with a phone camera and an instagram account is a CEO of their own apparel empire.

|

4/4/2018 2:37 PM

All of the above....

From someone who has just been through this process(finally finished). I was new to bmx and wanted to buy good products from good brands so researched the shit out of brands and products.

My build consists of:
S&M
Shadow
Odyssey
GSport
Animal

If I was to build another bike, I’d use:
FBM
Terrible One

Not to say that other brands don’t make some good stuff. Sunday is cool. I was close to pulling the trigger on a Soundwave frame a couple of times after perving on Hondas build for way too long. It’s all preference really. Find brands you like the vibe of and support them. Wish I came up with that but was some advice I got when I first got on here

|

If you build it, they will come

4/4/2018 2:46 PM

No love for Eclat?

|

4/4/2018 2:52 PM

Bigfoot4Pres wrote:

No love for Eclat?

I actually love Eclat's stuff, but in my view they fall under the WTP umbrella.

|

4/4/2018 6:16 PM

Bone Deth. I love their style, the riding, how good their products are, their image, everything. Sean Burns is one of the reasons I got into BMX.

|

4/4/2018 6:29 PM

I wanted to try something new after years of riding s&m , I’m stoked on hyper and snafu right now ,they stuck by Cranmer through his injury when they could have dropped him so they got my respect, throwing together a wizard this season should have a bike check up one of these days coming soon

|

4/4/2018 8:06 PM

RumHam wrote:

They've put out some really great videos (especially Let's Get Mystical), ...more

As am I let's get mystical is actually what got me into bmx a few years ago. Their videos are top notch in every aspect, their riders are dope, and the product is sleek and high quality cool gay for Satan merch comes back out on the sixith to

|

Ride your bike.

Eat your vegetables.

Stay off Twitter.

- TheDarkEnergist

The Whip

4/4/2018 8:25 PM

Big eclat fan here!

|

brakeless maniac

4/4/2018 8:52 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

Bone Deth. I love their style, the riding, how good their products are, their image, everything. Sean Burns is one of the ...more

Took you fuckin long enough!!!! Lol were like the only two Bone Deth fanboys on Vital lol.

I seriously love their cranks that I got another set of penetrators in 170mm. Theyre sitting in the closet waiting to be used.

|

4/4/2018 10:28 PM

Support brands that support the scene. Bikes are awesome we know this and to keep riding we need parts so they'll be there regardless. Rock what you like because despite how cool or even how good something is it should first and foremost make y out happy whether you're riding it or just staring at it. I've been using my solid og frontload stem from pre 2010 even though I know there's lighter and better stems available it's just nothing is going to get my nostalgia going quite like it. My bike is all odyssey profile and t1 but theres plenty of other companies that are great and do great shit for bmx fbm being top of that list for me. Those dudes are a1 since day 1same as when I started riding and give everything they make back into this great idea called bmx so I don't care what you feel about brands but that's one that does more for me than my money does for them. I wish I could put more parts on my bike to support them but regulations won't allow it

|

@coupd_tat

4/4/2018 10:38 PM

Are there BMX brands that became sell-outs? I'm hearing a lot of bad things about Mafia Bikes.

Don't know about Mongoose either, or did they just decide to grab the bottom of the market? The thing is these department store bikes are advertising something they are not, and the people buying them are not really saving money in the long run.

|

4/4/2018 11:57 PM

RumHam wrote:

They've put out some really great videos (especially Let's Get Mystical), ...more

DatJiggyNiggy wrote:

As am I let's get mystical is actually what got me into bmx a few years ago. Their videos are top notch in every aspect, their ...more

I think me and you could get along very well :p Let's get mystical is amazing haha must have seen it 40 ish times and still not bored.

Ahhh I know, the last thing I need is to spend more money on Mutiny merch right now though, since December I've got a frame (pretty much a dream come true) 4 t-shirts and a hoodie laughing

|

4/5/2018 7:25 AM

Ride what you want but like everyone else said Odyssey and Profile make innovative stuff that lasts-There's also Expermiental/Creative brands Like Eclat, Fly, Mutant and Tree that are constantly experimenting with new designs. This doesn't mean the brands in between are bad it's just very standard aside from the occasional lifetime warranty forks/cranks.

|

4/5/2018 8:04 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

It's almost scary how much ...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Holy shit! You aren't kidding! Although I'd have said they stole the clothing designed used by the band EMF or Jesus Jones. ...more

Yep. EMF. Fugly stuff.

|