BMX & MTB

Related:
Create New Tag

5/6/2019 6:15 AM

I’m thinking of getting a specialized P.3 to ride trails and stuff, is there anyone else who does MTB and bmx at the same time? Is it wired to go back and forth between the to? Do you lose some bike control on the bmx after a MTB sesh?

|

just living with autism and riding bikes

5/6/2019 6:22 AM

I do both. Mostly for cross training and if I’m a little beat up from BMXing, or the weather isn’t great. I think it actually makes me better at both. My MTB control is great and crushing miles helps my BMX fitness.

|

5/6/2019 6:50 AM

Christian Rigal is a great example of a burly and talented street rider that also rides MTB constantly. One discipline will definitely not take away from the other.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

5/6/2019 6:51 AM

Thank you guys for the serious reply’s I appreciate it!

|

5/6/2019 6:56 AM

Many people do both and it does help bike control. I have a friend who does both and his bike control and endurance is insane

|

5/6/2019 9:15 AM

grew up on BMX in the 70's and 80's. Back then your BMX was your MTB, so when MTB's came out as an official, separate kind of bike, it was sort of cool to get on those bigger bikes.

All of my BMX skills transfered, and many MTBr's say they are either glad they started on BMX, or wish they had started on BMX because of the bike handling skills you gain.

There is no real way you can "go backwards" by riding both.

A normal Sunday for me is riding BMX in the morning (b/c the skatepark is empty on Sunday mornings), and then MTB in the evening. Both times also provide cooler temps around here in the summer. Both bikes are on the car....always a good day

I still will sometimes ride the MTB trails on my BMX b/c it is what I grew up doing. It is not "weird" to me

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

5/6/2019 11:57 AM

Last year I got a P.3 Pro and rode it nearly every day for a little over a year. I got super used to it and pretty decent at bunny hops and manuals and 180s and stuff. And a couple weeks ago I got a kink downside. Not gonna lie it was extremely different to ride it at first because I was used to manuals and bunny hops on the dj frame so trying them on the bmx it was a lot easier to loop out on. After I got used to the bmx the dj felt extremely weird and heavy even though my dj is at least 3 lbs lighter. It look a couple days to get used to the dj and basically what I noticed is now I can get used to them a lot faster after switching but it still takes at least a day to get to like 90% on the one I switched to and if I want to get back to being 100% used to and comfortable with it it takes at least 3-4 days specifically on only one of the bikes. Now, after I have both I ride street on my bmx and I ride dirt jumps on my P.3 although I can ride street on the dj and jumps on the bmx too. When I know I’m gonna drive to the jumps I’ll usually ride only the p.3 for a day or in advance to be comfortable with it when I jump. This is just my opinion but I think that the p.3 and bmx are close enough to switch between but harder to get used to rather than say a full on mtb and bmx, so yes it’s absolutely able to ride both and be good at them but at first don’t expect to be able to switch between them flawlessly and be able to be at 100% as soon as you switch. Thats the end but I want to add a little theory I’ve been thinking about. It’s sort of like a scale thing 1 on the scale being a hardcore park bmx and 10 being a full on dh bike. I think of my bmx as a 2 and my dj as a 4 or 5. It’s harder to switch because their similar but not the same. But if you had a downhill bike and bmx I think it would be easier since they feel completely different and you could develop 2 muscle memories for the separate bikes rather than having to retrain your muscles when you hop on a bike that’s similar to what you’re used to, If you read that it probably didn’t make sense but if you did understand it I hope it helped. Just my opinion but yeah go for both bc I really like the options it presents. (I’ll include pics of my bikes just in case you were curious)

|

5/6/2019 12:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/6/2019 12:10 PM

I do, not a jump bike though. A trail bike (I got into it after having to stop riding BMX due to a wrist injury, an ultimately I feel it helped build the strength back so I can now ride BMX again.) It feels weird the first minute or so you get on the other bike, more so getting back on the BMX than the other way round, but you get used to it pretty much straight after that initial feeling. As above, Christian Rigal, Dylan Stark, Sergio Layos has a dabble, Dan Paley absolutely kills it, as does Matt Roe, and then plenty of mere mortals that I know ride both just fine. It definitely makes you a better mountain bike rider! It’s all bikes at the end of the day so it’s guaranteed to be a good time!

|

5/6/2019 12:13 PM

Matt Roe seems to be doing very well on mtb.
I tried riding a 26” jump bike for a while and it felt far too sluggish. I also spend about 18 months riding 24” street mtb. It made bmx’s feel tiny and too responsive. Which is probably partly why I prefer more stable geo and lowish bars for street now.

I’d love to give another discipline of cycling a proper go. But I’m too much of a snob, so can’t really afford it. And a problem with my hips prevents me from being able to sit and pedal.

|

5/6/2019 12:28 PM

I ride MTB and BMX. Probably a bit more MTB then BMX. I have found messing around on BMX has massively helped my MTB. I guess the endurance from MTB helps BMX but personally I find BMX helps MTB more then MTB helps BMX.

|

5/6/2019 1:46 PM

I did both for a while but had to stop because I couldn’t afford to keep two bikes in shape.

I miss the MTB (NS Suburban), especially when riding trails/dirt jumps or rough street spots because the bigger wheels really smooth things out!

|

5/6/2019 2:02 PM

Yeah I do both, BMX absolutely helps with MTB skills, not really the other way round tho apart from added fitness.

|

Ride everything

5/6/2019 2:10 PM

.pegless. wrote:

Matt Roe seems to be doing very well on mtb.
I tried riding a 26” jump bike for a while and it felt far too sluggish. I also spend about 18 months riding 24” street mtb. It made bmx’s feel tiny and too responsive. Which is probably partly why I prefer more stable geo and lowish bars for street now.

I’d love to give another discipline of cycling a proper go. But I’m too much of a snob, so can’t really afford it. And a problem with my hips prevents me from being able to sit and pedal.

yeah...I have been sort of questioning the new breed of "big BMX's" versus the MTB's. I definitely use my MTB for much different reasons than my BMX....I rarely get air on my MTB, meaning that I don't go out and ride MTB to get big air. I ride MTB to roll over things, smash through things, and for bike packing. It is definitely more off road and exploring.

My BMX is more for trickery, hops etc....I rarely ride the BMX for distance, or commuting. Just to get to the park.

I have ridden the MTB in the park just screwing around, and the BMX on the trails, but not a lot recently

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

5/6/2019 5:52 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Christian Rigal is a great example of a burly and talented street rider that also rides MTB constantly. One discipline will definitely not take away from the other.

I've had a few friends who started trials or MTB and very quickly, were unable to ride the BMX comfortably, as much as they tried to change their setup, which eventually resulted in them quitting.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

5/6/2019 8:22 PM

I ride both, I have a Norco trail bike.

I think the trend in the MTB world, for huge bikes with 29'' wheels, a long wheelbase, 160-180mm of travel and extra large 2.5'' tires, makes it hard for guys who get used to riding those monster trucks to handle a BMX. They're really getting pretty close to motorcross bikes.

On the other hand, with longer BMX frames available and BMX bars getting bigger as well, it's possible to set up both your bikes to be pretty close, with a "too big" BMX and a "too small" 27.5'' MTB.

|

5/6/2019 11:14 PM

Bmx skills transfer to mtb really well. Mountain bikes feel super sluggish and huge to me for the first 5 or so minutes then it's all good.

Still can't hop more than a foot on a mtb though, that shit feels so weird and the saddle always has me wary that I'm about to get sodomized

|

5/7/2019 1:16 AM

Dan Paley is insanely good at both

|

5/7/2019 6:07 AM

Some of the mountain bikes now a days could identify as a dirt bike

|

5/7/2019 6:31 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/7/2019 6:33 AM

Funny enough, I just got into the mountain bikes. My ex and now a friend wanted to go through some trails on her mountain bike, so I just bought a Diamondback Mason 1. Looking forward to hitting the trails with it next week.

I ordered it online. I assume it will come mostly built? Anything I need to know as far as assembly goes from you experienced mountain bikers?

What's a normal tire pressure for trail riding? They are just beginner type trails with lots of roots.

|

5/7/2019 8:16 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/7/2019 9:02 AM

dead goon wrote:

Funny enough, I just got into the mountain bikes. My ex and now a friend wanted to go through some trails on her mountain bike, so I just bought a Diamondback Mason 1. Looking forward to hitting the trails with it next week.

I ordered it online. I assume it will come mostly built? Anything I need to know as far as assembly goes from you experienced mountain bikers?

What's a normal tire pressure for trail riding? They are just beginner type trails with lots of roots.

look up Seth's Bike Hacks on YT. He did a video a couple weeks ago on how to build a new bike from the box. Tire pressures are normally around 20-25 psi

|

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/_eli.173_/
Bike Check - Coming Soon!
Refs - dikdiamond

5/7/2019 8:57 AM

Eli 173 wrote:

look up Seth's Bike Hacks on YT. He did a video a couple weeks ago on how to build a new bike from the box. Tire pressures are normally around 20-25 psi

Awesome. Thanks!

|

5/7/2019 11:26 AM

dead goon wrote:

Eli 173 wrote:

Yeah he has a lot of good videos.

Tire pressure partly depends on tubes or tubeless.

|

5/7/2019 5:52 PM

dead goon wrote:

Eli 173 wrote:

93EXCivic wrote:

Yeah he has a lot of good videos.

Tire pressure partly depends on tubes or tubeless.

Seth makes good videos even if you don’t mountain bike I watch his videos all the time

|