BMX Noob looking for Advice

Related:
Create New Tag

5/15/2018 6:58 PM

Hola, I stand around 5'11.5" 230 currently (probably going to lose 20-30lbs). NO REAL BMX EXPERIENCE (yet). I'm Located in Jersey. Looking to get into some dirt and freestyle. Not sure if 24" would be a good start. I've been currently eyeballing:

Redlline Asset 24
Kink Whip Xl
2018 DK CYGNUS 24”
Sunday Model C
Free Agent Ratio 24
DK HELIO 20”
fitbikeco VHS (hope it comes with brakes)

I also need a good helmet for a head size around 8 head in a 59 fifty fitted cap (Looking to get a Shadow Conspiracy feather weight XL). I'm trying to keep the bike price under 500$ (I need money for a roof rack lol). Open to other options.

Thanks for the help and advice in advance. Cheers!

|

5/15/2018 7:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/15/2018 7:25 PM

EmacKulant wrote:

Hola, I stand around 5'11.5" 230 currently (probably going to lose 20-30lbs). NO REAL BMX EXPERIENCE (yet). I'm Located in ...more

I was real interested in that redline asset 24 bike but a 24 is something you get after you buy a 20 imo, I think a 20" is a bit more versatile personally if you are wanting to do freestyle and dirt. 24" bikes feel uncomfortable for doing street tricks imo.

Id go with a 20" bike with a longer backend (13.5-14"ish) and a semi relaxed head tube angle (75°).
And youll be comfy on dirt and riding parks/street.

This is my suggestion to you, worth its weight in salt or gold. You choose! wink lol

|

5/15/2018 7:46 PM

Hey, I bought a 24 two years ago(in November) and it's a lot of fun for cruising, hopping stuff and manuals but I recently bought a 20" bike for learning more interesting things like 180s and more streety things. 24's are a lot of fun but bit clunky. I can spin my 24 but I don't want to fuck up my wheels messing up spins(24" stuff is harder to find and pretty spendy due to fewer options).

If you do choose a 24, try to find one with a more modern geometry and higher BB like the Sunday Model C or the older WTP Atlas. Out of the bikes you listed the Sunday is probably the most fun to ride although it is not full chromo but they do take a beating whatever they're made of

|

5/15/2018 8:38 PM

Kink Whip XL or Fit VHS

Better yet a 2018 Eastern Shovelhead would be best, but if you can't find one the Kink or the Fit would be nice...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

5/16/2018 5:51 AM

Don't forget the 22 inch options- 20 inchers are a bit too snappy on fast, flowy and high boost dirt jumps.

Frames with more slack, lower BBs and longer rear ends (like the Deluxe PA) are equivalent to 22 inchers, without the benefit of more momentum and stability the additional 2 inches bring.

They are also less clunky than 24 inchers, and as manoeuvrable as 20 inchers (to a certain limit).

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

5/16/2018 6:10 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/16/2018 7:38 AM

Like indicated, if I were you, I'd look into the 20" market before the 24". 22" is also an option but, again, 20" is where it's at. All the recommendations above are great starting points. The Eastern Shovelhead is an awesome bike but are hard to come by these days, it seems. The Fit VHS or other Fit offerings in that price range (differing TT lengths) would serve you well. Also, don't forget about the used market. While harder to navigate, there are some great deals to be had. You just need to do the research to be sure you are getting what you want/what is really being offered.

As for the Shadow Conspiracy Featherweight, it is THE helmet, in my opinion. Put it on your noggin & you forget about it. It's super light & comfortable.

|

5/16/2018 4:55 PM

Thanks for the help! I want to support a local bike shop so I'm waiting to find out what brands he can get his hands on. Will keep you guys posted.

|