BMX Poseurs?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/13/2018 8:58 AM

I’m one of those “Rocket Power” kids that does like every extreme sport I can try. I’ve noticed though that there are like no BMX poseurs. Nobody really fakes it, carries a real bike, or wears gear like they do with Skateboarding or Surfing. You see a dude rocking an Animal hoodie, and u know wassup. As opposed to seeing someone in a Hurley tshirt and u can just feel it oozing that theyve never stood on a board of any type. This is definitely an advantage our culture has over others.

Am I wrong about this? Do BMX poseurs actually exist? What were your experiences?

|

9/13/2018 9:18 AM

Now that you brought it up, haven't really seen any. I'm sure there are people like that but maybe it's easier to go for the skater look for example. Damn truck grabbers

|

9/13/2018 9:24 AM

I race Motocross and Fox is pretty big in the Motocross scene, and whenever i see someone wearing a Fox shirt or hat that i can tell has never swung their leg over a bike it just makes me cringe lol

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

9/13/2018 9:32 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/13/2018 9:34 AM

BMX has never and will never be fashionable. It's too difficult a sport to master. I've seen kids at the skatepark come and flex on a bike with a jet fuel stem and OSS sticker, but they rarely have a bad attitude about it.

Also, a bike isn't as much a symbol of rebellion as a skateboard is, so more kids will flock to the image of a skateboarder rather than the image of a bike rider.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

9/13/2018 9:32 AM

It costs $1000 to buy a legit bmx bike. Even more for something high end. That’s a lot of cash for a wannabe.

|

9/13/2018 9:40 AM

I don't recall ever seeing a BMX poser. Probably because you don't see BMX branded stuff in malls and whatnot, at least not to the extent of Thrasher and Hurley.

I agree with the difficulty aspect, and the price of the sport aspect as well.

|

Hey, I'm trying!
Instagram

9/13/2018 9:50 AM

i'm a poser

|

It’s all bmx

9/13/2018 10:48 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

i'm a poser

My dude beat me to it haha

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

9/13/2018 11:04 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I race Motocross and Fox is pretty big in the Motocross scene, and whenever i see someone wearing a Fox shirt or hat that i ...more

Allot of bmxers love the fox stuff around here , makes sense though the fox headquarters in Canada is in Calgary and they used to have an indoor skatepark, they sponsor some riders in Canada aswell

|

9/13/2018 11:06 AM

Fox is big with mountain bikers too.

|

9/13/2018 11:06 AM

JPC wrote:

It costs $1000 to buy a legit bmx bike. Even more for something high end. That’s a lot of cash for a wannabe.

I’ve seen posers at skateparks with nice bikes bragging about their bikes and spending money on parts they don’t need them they start to ride and totally suck while talking down to other riders with less nice bikes to them , not many but I’ve seen a few

|

9/13/2018 11:23 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I race Motocross and Fox is pretty big in the Motocross scene, and whenever i see someone wearing a Fox shirt or hat that i ...more

eskimojay wrote:

Allot of bmxers love the fox stuff around here , makes sense though the fox headquarters in Canada is in Calgary and they used ...more

Yeah I wear Fox stuff too. I can find it at my local Ross for super cheap lol

Im not a big spender for clothes lmaolaughing

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

9/13/2018 11:32 AM

JPC wrote:

eskimojay wrote:

I’ve seen posers at skateparks with nice bikes bragging about their bikes and spending money on parts they don’t need them ...more

I've seen this loads too, some guy on a real nice bike but can't hop properly. But some how they're more important because their bike is better? Actually, even if they're really good but still have that attitude, they're still a douche.

In fact, you get it loads with the older riders. They'll be a proper fan boy to one brand in particular and have every new part they drop as soon as it's available. Show off their collection and brag about it, but don't ever ride any of it. Also loads of collectors getting nos old stuff and thinking they're the shit. But they can't ride a bike. And usually think "new school" bikes are shit.
They're the bmx posers in my eyes.

|

9/13/2018 11:44 AM

JPC wrote:

eskimojay wrote:

I’ve seen posers at skateparks with nice bikes bragging about their bikes and spending money on parts they don’t need them ...more

grumpySteve wrote:

I've seen this loads too, some guy on a real nice bike but can't hop properly. But some how they're more important because ...more

So I take it, you're a fan of the BMX museum?

I'm old and probably have a nicer bike than I "need", but that's the way life works. My wife spends more on groceries in a month than any custom BMX bike costs.

|

9/13/2018 11:50 AM

I have a old school Poverty G-Ride and a 2019 Kink Launch. I wear Little Devil clothing and I run 4 pegs. I can't hop higher than a foot (on a good day), I loop out of almost every manual, and I can barely fakie. My attitude is this: if there are people at the skate park, I'm not going to ride. They don't deserve to see my epicness. (Actually, I'm terrified of my 285lb body slamming a 60lb scooter kid who snakes me).

I got into BMX in my 30's, after loving watching it as a ween and riding a G-Ride with my friends, sorta grinding bleachers and jumping off curbs.

I'd like to think I'm not a poser, because I'm trying dudes...I'm trying.

|

Hey, I'm trying!
Instagram

9/13/2018 12:47 PM

In norway we have periods of everybody buting bmx’es and not being serious about it just spending their parents money cus its cool to have a bmx for some reason

|

Street yes please

9/13/2018 12:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/13/2018 12:50 PM

I'm old too. As long as you actually ride the bike and put a bit if effort in, it's all good. It's the ones that build carpet queen bikes, or have 50 bikes but never ride any of them that wind me up.

I was around through most (?) of the mid school days, and not many bikes/parts were any good. I don't even understand the nostalgia of it. Non of it was as good as anything that's around now. Some had character, but most was just shit and ugly. Some guys have a massive hard on for mid stuff, and collect, but actually still ride. And it's mostly older guys that get me more stoked (and the ones that still ride realise new stuff is better). But hey, that's just a theory......

|

9/13/2018 12:53 PM

Everyone used to call me a poser because I was the least talented in my generation of local riders, but I loved spending money on my bike & having the nicest of parts (& yes, even would show off by comparing my nice bike to other people's lesser bikes since I didn't have any tricks to show off with & wasn't sure how else to spark conversation.)

Flash forward 8 years, I'm the only one out of the group pursuing BMX as a lifestyle/"career", and the only time those guys ride anymore is at jams/contests that I host. They have all since apologized for being asses to me when I was younger & they're very hyped on what I'm doing for BMX.

Just a friendly reminder that just because someone doesn't have crazy skills on a bike or the best communication skills, doesn't mean that they are a "poser." Everyone progresses in life & BMX at their own rate, & you never know who will still be riding long after you've retired from the sport.

If you guys see a guy/gal sporting anything BMX, be it an Animal hoodie or a BMX Bike, try talking to them & encouraging them to stick with it, instead of staring from a distance and making assumptions about them in your head.
Even if they don't stick with it, just be glad that they chose to spend their money in our very poor industry & found it worth trying.

I knew from a young age that BMX was my one true passion in life, and it did really suck constantly being put down for sticking with it solely because I was different from everyone else. Don't be that guy.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

9/13/2018 12:53 PM

Your mom's a poser, she's a dude

|

9/13/2018 1:02 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Everyone used to call me a poser because I was the least talented in my generation of local riders, but I loved spending money ...more

I don't care if someone is good or not, or what bike they have, as long as they're trying

|

9/13/2018 1:14 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Everyone used to call me a poser because I was the least talented in my generation of local riders, but I loved spending money ...more

grumpySteve wrote:

I don't care if someone is good or not, or what bike they have, as long as they're trying

What's your definition of trying? You could say that I didn't try, since all I was comfortable doing was bunnyhops and eventually 180s for the first 3 years of my riding.

When I turned 17, I must have lost my mind or something & started learning tricks I had never expected to even try.

Like I said, everyone progresses at their own rate. If someone is content staying at a certain skill level for 3 years & not learn a single new trick, who are we to tell them they are a "poser?" That attitude right there is exactly what pushes people away from BMX. Hell, if I wasnt so hard-headed, I probably would have quit from all the harrassment I used to receive for "not trying."

If you ride a BMX and spend money into BMX, you're a BMXer in my books.?

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

9/13/2018 1:23 PM

Sharing this because I find it very ironic I received it as I was typing my last reply.
Stuff like this makes me glad I turned everyone's hate into fuel for my fire instead of letting it drag me down into quitting what I love. If I had given up when everyone told me to, my local scene wouldn't be half of what it is now.
Photo

I challenge everyone on this post to go out & make friends with your local "poser." You never know where they may end up or what they may do for your scene.tongue

|

9/13/2018 1:35 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

What's your definition of trying? You could say that I didn't try, since all I was comfortable doing was bunnyhops and ...more

I literally mean what I say. The people that don't ride their bikes. If someone is happy just doing 180's for the rest of their life, that's cool, it doesn't affect me in any way, but I'm stoked they're happy. What I don't like is people that spend loads on a bike, boast about it, but have no intention of riding it. Like keeping nos parts nos, or building a show bike, but never putting their feet on the pedals, and thinking that makes them special. I haven't once said "people that can only 180 are posers"

|

9/13/2018 1:38 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

What's your definition of trying? You could say that I didn't try, since all I was comfortable doing was bunnyhops and ...more

grumpySteve wrote:

I literally mean what I say. The people that don't ride their bikes. If someone is happy just doing 180's for the rest of ...more

Speaking of shitty mid school parts, I can't manage to 180 and I strongly suspect that it's due to the solid 14mm axle on my high flange Profile rear hub. That thing feels like my bike has a five-pound weight strapped to the dropout.

|

9/13/2018 1:42 PM

JPC wrote:

Speaking of shitty mid school parts, I can't manage to 180 and I strongly suspect that it's due to the solid 14mm axle on my ...more

We call that conditioning. laughing

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

9/13/2018 1:45 PM

JPC wrote:

Speaking of shitty mid school parts, I can't manage to 180 and I strongly suspect that it's due to the solid 14mm axle on my ...more

I could 180 flat my KIZZ and 3 it off a berm. Noooo excuses

|

9/13/2018 1:45 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

I literally mean what I say. The people that don't ride their bikes. If someone is happy just doing 180's for the rest of ...more

JPC wrote:

Depends on the bike? Could be long chainstays. But if you want to shave a bit of weight the mini uses the exact same internals, so you could get a mini axle. If you don't use pegs you could even get the alloy female axle

|

9/13/2018 1:47 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

JPC wrote:

Super-Pawl wrote:

I could 180 flat my KIZZ and 3 it off a berm. Noooo excuses

I was mostly joking. I can 180 my old flatland rig flat without much trouble. Fourteen-inch chainstays and a heavy rear wheel don't rotate very well.

|

9/13/2018 1:49 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

JPC wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

Depends on the bike? Could be long chainstays. But if you want to shave a bit of weight the mini uses the exact same ...more

Yeah. I pulled my mid school bike out of storage (a 2 Hip Pork) and it's definitely overbuilt. I'm collecting parts to build a flatland'ish Dagger.

|

9/13/2018 4:30 PM

I don't even have a bike! I'm a poser.

|