BMX Problem

Related:
Create New Tag

7/7/2014 12:51 PM

1. My chain is quite tight at a certain point and then it becomes really loose
2. Whenever the chain is loose my back wheel wobbles. It sort of moves from side to side along the axle.

Can anyone tell me what the problem might be?

|

7/7/2014 1:04 PM

1. maybe your sprocket is bent
2. is your wheel tightened fully?

|

7/7/2014 1:14 PM

Can you post pictures of your sprocket and chain?

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock

YouTube
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

7/7/2014 1:23 PM

sunny_D wrote:

1. maybe your sprocket is bent
2. is your wheel tightened fully?

Sprocket I have just put on (used but in good shape) and doesnt look bent. And yes wheel is tightened fully.

|

7/7/2014 1:23 PM

Stocksy wrote:

Can you post pictures of your sprocket and chain?

Yes I can get some pictures up but its nighttime by me so Ill have to post them tomorrow

|

7/7/2014 1:28 PM

Your sprocket might be out of place or bent. This happened to me once and it turned out my cranks were too tight so you could try loosening the cranks and see what happens.

|

7/7/2014 1:33 PM

1. Make sure you are using the proper sprocket adapter. Don't tighten your sprocket bolt as much as you have it/get a headless sprocket bolt.

2. Tighten your cone nuts. If that doesn't stop the wobble something is wrong.

|

7/7/2014 10:09 PM

Probaly just a tense point from the sprocket bolt or the CNC job , nothing to worry about. If you bent it you would feel the chain being weird . It's just a thing with bolt on sprockets , if it annoys you pick up a spline drive.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

7/7/2014 10:20 PM

So your chain has a tight & loose spot? Could be a few different things.
-uneven chain stretch, it happens but I see it happy more in half link chains than full link chains
-bent sprocket, even slightly will throw off the chain
-wrong/no sprocket adapter, causing the sprocket to sit unevenly on the spindle
-broken teeth
and probably more things but most likely one of those, so check those first

as for the wheel moving around, tighten your hub up. like the cone nuts, what hub is it? if it's unsealed then they can be tricky to do on your own without fucking up, but sealed hubs are usually pretty easy. My guess is that when your chain is tight, it's pulling on the hub making it press up against the axle since there's play in the hub, then when you go to a loose spot on the chain, that "pulling" isn't happening, so your hub can freely wobble around. so check that out.

|