"Supercross" Is a Joke*

Related:
Create New Tag

3/26/2014 5:54 PM

http://www.bmxzine.com/jeffclarke/2014/3/25/supercross-is-a-joke

Good article on why BMX racing is dying. I don't race BMX, never have and probably never will, but this guys right.

One thing BMX needs is advertising space. A large company isn't interested in a small decal on a small tube of a bicycle. Also, the length of races. I'm not sure how you could televise a bunch of 1 lap races.

Discuss.

|

Buy/Sell Refs: Showtime402, fsearles, ticaleb, howlerfbm (x2), irideafly, the balt (x2), MrHavoc1988. dprc

3/26/2014 6:11 PM

I've raced all my life but your right you can't really televise it like a 45 second race can be boring if you don't know what your looking at and it is hard to recruit riders like I can rember back when we had 50 motos a quite a few riders but now were lucky to have 10 motos

|

We the people

3/26/2014 6:14 PM

Back to basics. No landing ramps, dusty, muddy, only thing you can't do is completely take someone out. Aggressive, twenty riders per moto, three laps on a decent sized track.

|

3/26/2014 6:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/26/2014 6:18 PM

And also it takes a lot of work to run a track

|

We the people

3/26/2014 6:30 PM

I dont know its pretty cool, i use to race when i was younger. now the only racing i do is basically just messing around the track with friends. You are right though nowadays its hard to televise and advertise for but there are ways of bringing it back to the spotlight

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

3/26/2014 6:34 PM

It's a joke ....it's in the Olympics?

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

3/26/2014 6:35 PM

Racing is still pretty popular near where I live

|

3/26/2014 6:39 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Its hard. Ping pong is an Olympic sport.

|

3/26/2014 6:51 PM

I like racing. I wish i could do it. The thing i think is the problem is it became too regulated. The unruliness is what made it so crazy to watch. I liked the old school format better for sure. Rad Movie is how races should be hahaha

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

3/26/2014 6:59 PM

Okay now my comment on the article. Thos guy is sour. BMX shouldnt be all about money first off. These riders are more skilled than any football player, but they aren't as popular. That is true, but it shouldnt be about how much they make. In my opinion, it shouldnt be a gross amount, enough to live comfortably is all.

But this guy kinda advocates my point that bmx needs to be on TV. If i had the connections, it'd happen. But it just isn't right now. We need to get on it!!

Personally idc if there is a bmx show or not, i'm still gonna ride the same. I just wish more people understood what it was, and what it feels like.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

3/26/2014 7:21 PM

I quit bmx racing when they made it illegal to snap a gate, roll back and then crank forward right before the gate drops . And you can't move over out of the gate now . Starting to make to many rules

|

"Of course theyre compatible theyre cranks"

3/26/2014 7:35 PM

I thought about trying it, seem's fun.

|

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149

3/26/2014 7:43 PM

I raced for about 8 months, got kicked out when i got selected as one of the riders to represent the area and they checked my bike and found that i never had any brake pads ahahhah

now they say i can only race again if i actually run a working brake setup. pretty funny that they didnt pick it up

|

The first breath is the beginning of death

3/27/2014 7:50 AM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

yay

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

3/27/2014 9:15 AM

First of all, the original article is called "Supercross is a Joke" not "BMX Racing is a Joke."

They are two different disciplines, with SX being exclusively made up of the most elite of all racers. There are 300 or 400 Supercross racers in the whole world.

BMX Supercross is, as previously noted, an Olympic Medal Sport. It's interesting to watch, but not the kind of thing someone in the stands or at home watching TV would say "Wow, BMX Supercross, I think I'll give that a try." They'd end up in ICU, if they were even allowed on the track in the first place. This is why I don't see it as connected to what I like to call "Classic" BMX Racing as onlookers might think.

Classic BMX racing is what's happening at your local track. Take the pegs off your ride, and you could go do it--and live to tell about it--and have a great time.

I don't quite understand the motivation of the guy who wrote the "Supercross is a Joke" article. The number of eyeballs on those races, even in Europe where they get a few thousand paid spectators is far below anything that would move the needle for a major-brand sponsor. It's fun to watch live, but not great for TV (full disclosure: I don't think AMA SX is all that fun to watch on TV either). No eyeballs, no sponsorship cash = no money for the riders. That's reality, but it doesn't make the sport a "joke."

There's no question that it is incredibly dangerous. When someone wrecks in a race, their list of injuries more resembles someone who laid down their motorcycle on the highway at 60MPH, than someone who fell off their bike. It is not uncommon for someone to have more than a dozen separate injuries, including collapsed lung, broken ribs, lacerated liver, lacerated spleen, concussion, broken collarbone. That's one injury on one (female) rider. The male list is generally about the same, and involves months of recovery.

Classic BMX Racing is struggling with an identity crisis which has it asking "who are we?" Are we the all-hopped-up Olympic Sport, or the sport you do if you want to ride your bike, in competition, with some other kids, and have fun doing it?

The bottom line is that if Elite BMX racers riders want to get to the Olympics, they have to race Supercross. There is no other way to be there. And the "Olympic Dream" is so strong in these guys that they would likely do it for even less money than they are getting now. SHOULD it be more? Absolutely. Will it be more at any point in the near future? Unlikely.

Again, I don't think that makes Supercross a joke, it makes it a conduit to the Olympics, and little more. People should stop trying to make it something it isn't, and placing expectations on it that it has no chance of living up to.

Best,

Mike Carruth
Editor, bmxnews.com

|

3/27/2014 12:57 PM

Bmx racing is rad lots of the best dirt jumpers where racers....it takes skills.....this thread is retarded

|

3/27/2014 1:11 PM

Go mike...

honestly the racers prob feel the same way about freestyle.

|

Deviant BMX store
Shirts and Iphone cases available soon! Check site for details!

3/27/2014 1:22 PM

MikeCarruth wrote:

First of all, the original article is called "Supercross is a Joke" not "BMX Racing is a Joke."

They are two different ...more

This guy definitely know what hes talking about

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

3/27/2014 6:21 PM

I wouldn't call it a joke.....That seems a bit much to me. It's definitely dying off but it's not a joke. It's basically the reason freestyle came about. People started "trick riding" on their race bikes in the 60s and then by the 70s, freestyle bmx started to become something that more and more people did. I respect racers.

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock

YouTube
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

3/27/2014 7:16 PM

they should do enduro

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

3/27/2014 9:32 PM

hello, Motogrizz, i've missed you.

|

3/28/2014 9:18 AM

mitchovich wrote:

I quit bmx racing when they made it illegal to snap a gate, roll back and then crank forward right before the gate drops . And ...more

Most of those are for safety.

But it isn't as popular lately I think because of the rules (safety again) and because you have to run brakes. Honestly sounds stupid but 99% of kids out there pull brakes EVEN IF THEY DON'T RIDE FREESTYLE.

Plus all the gear required. It is not a cheap spot to get started in. You need a helmet, long sleeves and long pants and gloves and a bike MINIMUM and you have to be damn fast (plus if you don't have a racing suit, you are looked down upon by others). If you want to be competitive at all your localish tracks, you need to be able to adjust gearing easily. You need your bike as light as you can, and that can come at a hefty cost.

Freestyle you need a bike. That's it. And it can be janky.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/28/2014 12:51 PM

feeble_to_face wrote:

they should do enduro

Enduro and dh are some awesome disciplines!

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

3/29/2014 8:37 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/29/2014 8:42 AM

MikeCarruth wrote:

They are two different ...more

Thanks for the clarification Mike. I actually didn't know that there was a difference between Supercross and regular BMX racing.

Edit: Forgot to say, great post. Thanks for adding to the discussion.

|

Buy/Sell Refs: Showtime402, fsearles, ticaleb, howlerfbm (x2), irideafly, the balt (x2), MrHavoc1988. dprc

3/29/2014 8:38 AM

sbc785 wrote:

hello, Motogrizz, i've missed you.

I still browse, just don't post too much wink

|

3/29/2014 9:10 AM

I like racing I think its pretty cool, It gives the rider the fundamentals of how to ride your bike and really control it and develop a style. Plus the riders I really enjoy watching mostly all grew up racing. Super-cross is a different thing though but at least people who don't ride can look at it and be like that's pretty cool and think that bmx is a good thing instead of watching a video on the come up of guys bunny hopping over homeless people and thinking people who bmx are hooligans. p.s I'm not hating on the come up though they post good videos and are way more exciting to watch then supper-cross.

|

Nothing like a Good day of Digging and Riding

3/29/2014 9:51 AM

I grew up racing, hated the locals at the track because they're a bunch of idiots.

|

3/30/2014 11:43 AM

The way i see it, the next big thing in bmx will be downhill racing on a streetstyle, slopestyle, or mtb course! I'd love to see this happen. Just my 2 cents.

|

3/30/2014 11:54 AM

sunny.noble wrote:

The way i see it, the next big thing in bmx will be downhill racing on a streetstyle, slopestyle, or mtb course! I'd love to ...more

there used to be bmx dh.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

3/30/2014 11:54 AM

sunny.noble wrote:

The way i see it, the next big thing in bmx will be downhill racing on a streetstyle, slopestyle, or mtb course! I'd love to ...more

there used to be dh bmx

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER