BMX Size

Related:
Create New Tag

5/8/2019 9:05 PM

I'm 5'4" is a 21" frame to big? is a 20" frame to small? what size seems perfect?

|

5/8/2019 9:40 PM

20 would be a sweet size, 20.5 would be a good medium if you grow more. Play around and see what suits your style

|

It’s all bmx

5/9/2019 5:25 AM

I’m about 5’6” and I ride a 21

|

just living with autism and riding bikes

5/9/2019 6:05 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/9/2019 6:07 AM

Depends on if you are going to be growing but at this point, IMHO, a 21"tt bike is too big for you. If you are not going to grow further, a 20"tt bike would work and if you think you'll be growing to, say 5'8"-5'10", a 20.5"tt bike may fill you needs for a longer period. All that said, size is very subjective and personal preference varies greatly between riders. Years (and years) ago, I rode an 18.5"tt bike as an adult. That was na old-school freestyle bike. Today, I ride anywhere from a 20.75 to 21.5. As geo's have changed over the years, handling & bike fit have changed as well. So a 20"tt old school frame may feel more like a 20.5"tt frame of today.

|

5/9/2019 6:11 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Depends on if you are going to be growing but at this point, IMHO, a 21"tt bike is too big for you. If you are not going to grow further, a 20"tt bike would work and if you think you'll be growing to, say 5'8"-5'10", a 20.5"tt bike may fill you needs for a longer period. All that said, size is very subjective and personal preference varies greatly between riders. Years (and years) ago, I rode an 18.5"tt bike as an adult. That was na old-school freestyle bike. Today, I ride anywhere from a 20.75 to 21.5. As geo's have changed over the years, handling & bike fit have changed as well. So a 20"tt old school frame may feel more like a 20.5"tt frame of today.

I am 14 so i still plan on growing. This is going to be a custom so i’m spending alot of money on it and i’m hoping to get a frame that will last till i reach my peak. Do you think getting a 21 inch will hinder my riding too much?

|

5/9/2019 6:47 AM

How tall do you anticipate being when you are done growing (do you come from a tall family or a shorter family?)?

I don't want to give you bad advice that will make you not want to ride (nothing more discouraging than not being able to ride as well as you can because your bike is junk or doesn't fit or hinders you in any other way). Personally, if I absolutely had to recommend a bike right now I'd say nothing bigger than 20.75. That would be based on you current height, the ability to grow into it, the ability of it being a decent fit for the long haul and the fact that many people change up bikes over the course of 3-5 years so it's possible that you'd be looking at a new frame in a few years.

Now, before you take that advice, do you ride now? Are you a beginner (or even more advanced)? If you are a beginner, there are some outstanding completes to be had that will be outstanding fora long time that you could get into for a lot cheaper than a custom. WTP, Sunday, etc... make some great completes that would save you money now, serve you for the next 5 years and then you could go custom. Also, don't forget about the used market. You can find some great deals on custom bikes that way.

|

5/9/2019 6:52 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/9/2019 6:52 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

How tall do you anticipate being when you are done growing (do you come from a tall family or a shorter family?)?

I don't want to give you bad advice that will make you not want to ride (nothing more discouraging than not being able to ride as well as you can because your bike is junk or doesn't fit or hinders you in any other way). Personally, if I absolutely had to recommend a bike right now I'd say nothing bigger than 20.75. That would be based on you current height, the ability to grow into it, the ability of it being a decent fit for the long haul and the fact that many people change up bikes over the course of 3-5 years so it's possible that you'd be looking at a new frame in a few years.

Now, before you take that advice, do you ride now? Are you a beginner (or even more advanced)? If you are a beginner, there are some outstanding completes to be had that will be outstanding fora long time that you could get into for a lot cheaper than a custom. WTP, Sunday, etc... make some great completes that would save you money now, serve you for the next 5 years and then you could go custom. Also, don't forget about the used market. You can find some great deals on custom bikes that way.

I come from a shorter family so im probaly gonna go for 20.5”. I’v been riding for 4 years now and I have a fit bike that i plan on upgrading into a custom over time.

|

5/9/2019 7:03 AM

Yeah, I'd say a 20.5 would work well in your situation. I think it'll make things easier on you and you'll be able to fully use it for a longer period of time. In the end, we can get used to riding nearly anything. If the only bikes that were available were 22"tt bikes, you'd eventually get used to that. So you'll be fine. Post some pics when you get everything built.

|

5/9/2019 7:25 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Yeah, I'd say a 20.5 would work well in your situation. I think it'll make things easier on you and you'll be able to fully use it for a longer period of time. In the end, we can get used to riding nearly anything. If the only bikes that were available were 22"tt bikes, you'd eventually get used to that. So you'll be fine. Post some pics when you get everything built.

Yea ill post some pics. Thx for the help

|

5/9/2019 10:51 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

So a 20"tt old school frame may feel more like a 20.5"tt frame of today.

How backwards can your logic be? And I don't need to explain it.

|

5/9/2019 10:55 PM

The Bancho wrote:

I'm 5'4" is a 21" frame to big? is a 20" frame to small? what size seems perfect?

20.2 to 20.5 would be perfect if you’re 5’4

|

smile

5/10/2019 2:01 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/10/2019 2:03 AM

PastaIsLitty wrote:

20.2 to 20.5 would be perfect if you’re 5’4

Look, it’s pasta boy! Glad to see you safe and well. I was concerned for your safety. There’s a lot of nasty 9ft quarters out there.

|

Don’t put 25.4 bars in a 22.2 stem.

5/10/2019 6:05 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/10/2019 6:06 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

streethack wrote:

"Feel Like..." Notice how the wheelbase is essentially the same on both bikes but the overall geometry is different?

Photo

Point being... as frame geometry changes so does the feel. Hell, seat height makes a bike feel different (if you happen to be sitting on a seat and able to pedal, like back in the day).

|

5/10/2019 7:44 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/10/2019 7:50 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

streethack wrote:

Here... maybe this will help you....

https://bmxunion.com/blog/insight-bmx-frame-geometry/

Basically, a more laid back or steeper seat tube angle would shorten or lengthen the down tube length but not change the top tube length. However, your distance from the cranks to the handlebars effectively changes.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled trolling.

|

5/10/2019 8:19 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Basically, a more laid back or steeper seat tube angle would shorten or lengthen the down tube length but not change the top tube length. However, your distance from the cranks to the handlebars effectively changes.

Thanks but i have already seen this. wink

|

5/10/2019 9:35 AM

streethack wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

The Bancho wrote:

Thanks but i have already seen this. wink

No problem. However, it wasn't really meant for you.

|

5/11/2019 12:17 AM

Fact is that a 75.5 HT angle frame of today, is going to feel longer than a 74 degree from a couple of decades ago.

And with that dinosaur example, forget sitting down and think what that ST angle does to the feel of the bike you know riding it as a BMX?

Look at where the damn bars are in relation to the BB.. sheesh logic is thin on the ground these days.

|

5/11/2019 12:21 AM

An old school bike will feel shorter. Not longer

|

5/11/2019 7:53 AM

I was doing a little research on the MTB & Road forums and they say that one degree of HTA change is roughly 1-2mm in TT feel (- for slacker and + for steeper).

So, my 21.5"/ 75° HTA frame would roughly feel like a 21.4" TT max with a 74° HTA.

Not as bad as I initially thought...

|