BMX VS MTB

Related:
Create New Tag

6/29/2019 2:52 PM

Hey everyone, I was just wondering, I am looking for a bike that can do some pump tracks as well as so downhill fun, along with jumps. I live in Alberta, Canada and there are not to many skateparks or trails around me, 20 minutes drive for trails and skateparks... I also would like to do some technical things, but not a priority,

Friends ride: MTB
Budget: $500-$700CAD

So. MTB OR BMX

Please don’t be biased...

|

6/29/2019 3:22 PM

What do you mean don't be biased? Look who you're asking.

|

6/29/2019 5:18 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/29/2019 5:23 PM

27" hardtail MTB - can park it, ride long distances, and use it on trails.

Get moving, decent upgrade options (#1 - wider bars, shorter stem): https://www.costco.ca/Northrock-XC27-Mountain-Bike.product.100458249.html

Better: https://shop.calgarycycle.com/product/norco-storm-4-351261-1.htm

If you can find a small frame, 26/27.5 with a 1x drive train, thats the way to go.

Ducks, runs....

|

New tech can't beat old school cool...or can it?
1987 O.O.S. Redline RL20II (Old Old Stock - this ain't no museum piece kids!)
2012 Norco Deviant
1996 GT Avalanche LE w/ Full 2002 XT upgrade and NE Total Air MZO fork

6/29/2019 8:29 PM

Hate to say it but who’s more badass , drew bezanson or Brandon semenuk , go get a mountain bike and get paid in the future if you have a training facility like b line near you

|

6/29/2019 9:57 PM

Bmx. Much more versatile. You can literally learn on flat ground outside your house. And street is everywhere. You’re pretty limited with mtb unless you go somewhere specifically to ride it

|

6/29/2019 11:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/29/2019 11:38 PM

.pegless. wrote:

Bmx. Much more versatile. You can literally learn on flat ground outside your house. And street is everywhere. You’re pretty limited with mtb unless you go somewhere specifically to ride it

I agree with this, and I also ride MTB. I started with BMX and wouldn’t have it any other way. The more you ride any bike, the better you will be at bike riding and as mentioned, with a bmx you can literally ride anywhere. and an entry level complete for that money is decent, a mountain bike for the same money won’t be. Get a BMX, you won’t regret it. And if you fancy a MTB when you’re older and working etc (as well as being more expensive initially, they are a bit of a money pit in terms of maintaining them!) then crack on, living in Canada, I certainly would! It’s pretty much one of the best places to live for mountain biking. Loads of bmx guys ride mtb as well now! search for some videos of Dan Paley on YouTube if you want some inspiration, the mans a beast on both bikes!

|

6/29/2019 11:40 PM

This is really a decision you need to make for yourself. If your friends all have MTB's, would you have anybody to ride with if you got a BMX? If you got a MTB you might have more fun. You might not, either. I don't think we can really help that much with this one. Best suggestion woul be to try both out and see which one speaks to you more. Good luck with it.

|

6/29/2019 11:59 PM

.pegless. wrote:

meatXloaf wrote:

I agree with this, and I also ride MTB. I started with BMX and wouldn’t have it any other way. The more you ride any bike, the better you will be at bike riding and as mentioned, with a bmx you can literally ride anywhere. and an entry level complete for that money is decent, a mountain bike for the same money won’t be. Get a BMX, you won’t regret it. And if you fancy a MTB when you’re older and working etc (as well as being more expensive initially, they are a bit of a money pit in terms of maintaining them!) then crack on, living in Canada, I certainly would! It’s pretty much one of the best places to live for mountain biking. Loads of bmx guys ride mtb as well now! search for some videos of Dan Paley on YouTube if you want some inspiration, the mans a beast on both bikes!

Very valid point. To take mtb seriously, a half decent bike will cost the same as a custom bmx. You can buy a bmx for a few hundred that will be good enough. Spend the same on an mtb and it will be shit

|

6/30/2019 1:50 AM

Get the best of both worlds with a dirt jumper

|

6/30/2019 3:44 AM

PastaIsLitty wrote:

Get the best of both worlds with a dirt jumper

Even a street mtb doesn’t compete with a bmx though. It doesn’t matter how responsive you try to make it, it will always be bigger and more sluggish. Really not ideal to learn 180’s and stuff on

|

6/30/2019 8:51 PM

BMX you can literally enjoy in your driveway. I MTB way more than I ride my 20" anymore, but the 20" i can just take across the street to the church parking lot and get into it. MTB i need to ride a few miles to some trails

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

7/1/2019 10:17 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/1/2019 10:51 AM

I love mountain biking. I am more of a mountain biker then a BMX rider. But $500-$700 for a MTB isn't a good budget. You are either going to end up with something ancient that needs a decent amount of work or a pos starter bike.

So for your budget you are going to get a BMX that will actually last a bit. And then save some money for a decent mountain bike. The skills you learn on BMX will help you once you get a mountain bike. Or decide what is most important to you learning tricks and skills or riding downhill and singletrack. If it is the second one, save some more money and just get an MTB.

|

7/1/2019 10:50 AM

.pegless. wrote:

To be honest, I don't agree with that. BMXs are good for one thing learning skills and using those skills. They don't work on mtb trails, they aren't comfortable to commute on, they aren't fast. I love my BMX but it is IMO the least versatile bike I own.

|

7/1/2019 4:22 PM

jbales wrote:

What do you mean don't be biased? Look who you're asking.

Lol

|

7/1/2019 4:26 PM

.pegless. wrote:

93EXCivic wrote:

To be honest, I don't agree with that. BMXs are good for one thing learning skills and using those skills. They don't work on mtb trails, they aren't comfortable to commute on, they aren't fast. I love my BMX but it is IMO the least versatile bike I own.

I like the ease of travelling on the streets with a bmx...you can of course hop any bike but when you need to make a split second decision its hard to beat a bmx in terms of agility.

Also...tricks

|

7/2/2019 12:40 PM

kxssambmx wrote:

Hey everyone, I was just wondering, I am looking for a bike that can do some pump tracks as well as so downhill fun, along with jumps. I live in Alberta, Canada and there are not to many skateparks or trails around me, 20 minutes drive for trails and skateparks... I also would like to do some technical things, but not a priority,

Friends ride: MTB
Budget: $500-$700CAD

So. MTB OR BMX

Please don’t be biased...

Honestly there is valid and bogus info among the replies. What do you want to do is the best response.

The challenge is you are looking for one "do it all" bike for terrains that there isn't really a single bike for. Without knowing your definition of downhill and jumps, it is tough to suggest something.

For downhill, do you mean like a tame version of the Red Bull Rampage events where there might not be much for trails laid out? Or do you mean like rough singletrack but faster and down a hill?

For jumps are we talking something where the jumps start from smaller tabletops and range to larger doubles like a local public dirt jump park, or are we talking something similar to the crankworx slopestyle course?

Your best bet would be to figure out what YOU want to ride the most.
If you love skateparks and street, a BMX might be the best option. Your friends may join, or may not, and you will make BMX friends too.
If you want to rip around singletrack, you can find a pretty solid hardtail for that at any shop.
If you want to spend your time jumping, a BMX OR a dirt jumper (24-26") would be best for that. You may need more money.
If you want to downhill MTB with a lot of suspension, you will need more money for it.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/8/2019 7:16 PM

93EXCivic wrote:

I love mountain biking. I am more of a mountain biker then a BMX rider. But $500-$700 for a MTB isn't a good budget. You are either going to end up with something ancient that needs a decent amount of work or a pos starter bike.

So for your budget you are going to get a BMX that will actually last a bit. And then save some money for a decent mountain bike. The skills you learn on BMX will help you once you get a mountain bike. Or decide what is most important to you learning tricks and skills or riding downhill and singletrack. If it is the second one, save some more money and just get an MTB.

Vitus nucleus is like $600 and it's a great starter mtb.

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert