BMX Vlogs - What you want to see

Related:
Create New Tag

9/3/2018 12:39 AM

I typically film & edit BMX Edits, but have recently started a BMX Vlog to entertain the next generation of riders & also to promote my crew & local scene.

I know not everyone is hyped on vlogs, and honestly I don't care for them too much either, but please keep any negative comments to yourself (I have plenty of BMX Edits you can enjoy if that's more your taste..)
This thread here is just to see what you guys want to see in a vlog, or even what you don't want to see/are sick of seeing in vlogs.

Listed below are a few aspects of vlogs. I have wrote how I ideally like to film/edit a vlog.
If you guys could, just let me know how YOU would do your own vlog using each of these aspects. Also feel free to bring up any aspects I may have forgotten.

1. The Intro
For the intro, I personally like to start by speaking as briefly as possible to the camera about the plan for the day before cutting scenes to the plan in action.

2. Non-Riding Footage / B-Roll
I try to limit my b-roll to 1 or 2 timelapses per video & try to keep any non-riding footage BMX related.

3. Riding Footage / B-Roll
I personally can't stand videos that are jammed full of fail clips (crashes excluded,) so I try to focus on editing the riding portion of the video similarly to how I would an edit. I stick with landed tricks, funny fails/crashes, clips that hint to future edit clips, & maybe the occasional run-up clip.

4. Talk Time
I try to limit my talking to the camera inbetween the intro & outro. I may use some talking clips on occasion to transition to another part of the day, but I prefer to try telling the story without actually telling it, if ya know what I mean.

5. Music
For Music I like to stick with simple instrumentals. I try to find songs that vibe well with each individual video. For example, if the video is packed with back-to-back riding clips, I'll probably go with a faster paced instrumental.

6. The Outro
This is where I let myself do the most talking, though I still try to keep it as brief as possible (& honestly half the time I just forget to film an outro in general! Lol) Tell the viewers about any upcoming events/merchandise, shout out our website, etc. etc.

7. Time
In my opinion, the perfect time for a vlog is around 10-15minutes depending on the content. Some videos do end up being ridiculously long though..

Thanks in advance for any input, guys!

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

9/3/2018 2:33 AM

Think of a vlog like Brandon Begins. He doesnt do any fancy b roll and shit but its entertaining af. I love begins vlogs

|

9/3/2018 3:28 AM

Keep the talking to a minimum I guess. An intro, and brief descriptions of what's going on is cool, and an outro. But I'd rather watch people riding how they do on a daily basis, not pulling the trick etc.

I watched a hub review earlier. I was literally only there to find out the guys opinion of the hub, and the first 4 minutes were nothing to do with the hub. And he talked far too much about stuff that wasn't relevant.

So, I'd say, brief intro, bit of b roll (getting to the spot or something), riding and falling, including any funny stuff anyone says or does, bit more b roll of going to another spot or something more riding, maybe bit of b roll of everyone chilling, then brief outro.

I think Spencer foresman has a good balance most of the time. Even though the competitiveness and tricks aren't my cup of tea. But the competitiveness is never serious and just messing around, which is pretty funny most of the time.

|

9/3/2018 3:32 AM

POV, raw sound, riding through the city
Would be nice as a 2 man crew, to have 2 perspectives - like Billy Perry used to do a couple of years back, that's how I actually got into BMX laughing

|

9/3/2018 5:00 AM

No POV riding, keep it light hearted, not too much music. TBH I think Scotty's channel has it nailed, I enjoy every video they do, they don't take things too serious and it's good to see the progression of Big Boy.

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

9/3/2018 5:21 AM

Aitkenisgod wrote:

No POV riding, keep it light hearted, not too much music. TBH I think Scotty's channel has it nailed, I enjoy every video they do, they don't take things too serious and it's good to see the progression of Big Boy.

I liked the early videos of them just riding with a crew. Now all of the videos are of the same 3 people doing challenges every episode

|

Hmmm

9/3/2018 5:24 AM

Did you watch the latest one with big boy trying some classic tricks? Seeing him do a griz was ace. I really like seeing people progress and try new things.

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

9/3/2018 7:34 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Keep the talking to a minimum I guess. An intro, and brief descriptions of what's going on is cool, and an outro. But I'd rather watch people riding how they do on a daily basis, not pulling the trick etc.

I watched a hub review earlier. I was literally only there to find out the guys opinion of the hub, and the first 4 minutes were nothing to do with the hub. And he talked far too much about stuff that wasn't relevant.

So, I'd say, brief intro, bit of b roll (getting to the spot or something), riding and falling, including any funny stuff anyone says or does, bit more b roll of going to another spot or something more riding, maybe bit of b roll of everyone chilling, then brief outro.

I think Spencer foresman has a good balance most of the time. Even though the competitiveness and tricks aren't my cup of tea. But the competitiveness is never serious and just messing around, which is pretty funny most of the time.

This is quite a nice recipe in my opinion and I do enjoy Foresman's stuff as well. It's entertaining most of the time which to me might be more important than crazy bangers back to back.

In general I'd say a good vlog has:
An intro, with or without a chosen clip from the video coming ahead. The clip is not mandatory but sometimes it's a fun "teaser".

Lots of riding, not just the bangers. Of course it's nice to have a lot of successful clips but I enjoy a couple fails every now and then, probably because it's nice to see I'm not the only one to not land everything first trygrin

Not a lot of B-roll, but definitely some. It might get too intensive for a vlog to just do 10min of straight up riding with a short intro and outro. Timelapses are nice, especially ones that are related to the topic somehow.

A couple clips of other interesting/funny stuff that has happened during the session.

Are you going to make a "real intro" for the channel btw? I mean like music with a couple riding clips etc. kinda thing that some people have.

|

9/3/2018 8:06 AM

Rabbe wrote:

This is quite a nice recipe in my opinion and I do enjoy Foresman's stuff as well. It's entertaining most of the time which to me might be more important than crazy bangers back to back.

In general I'd say a good vlog has:
An intro, with or without a chosen clip from the video coming ahead. The clip is not mandatory but sometimes it's a fun "teaser".

Lots of riding, not just the bangers. Of course it's nice to have a lot of successful clips but I enjoy a couple fails every now and then, probably because it's nice to see I'm not the only one to not land everything first trygrin

Not a lot of B-roll, but definitely some. It might get too intensive for a vlog to just do 10min of straight up riding with a short intro and outro. Timelapses are nice, especially ones that are related to the topic somehow.

A couple clips of other interesting/funny stuff that has happened during the session.

Are you going to make a "real intro" for the channel btw? I mean like music with a couple riding clips etc. kinda thing that some people have.

I do have a really solid idea for an intro, just requires getting the whole crew together which has been a struggle latelysad

Love the feedback guys, keep it comin!

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

9/3/2018 8:10 AM

It needs a click bait title XD

|

9/3/2018 8:13 AM

I wouldn't recommend timelapses and stuff for b roll, just random stuff that might interest some peiple

|

Hmmm

9/3/2018 8:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/3/2018 8:35 AM

Fire , explosions ,destruction , boobs , questionable decision making and getting away with it

|

9/3/2018 8:50 AM

If you could keep the vlog videos to about 1-3 seconds long I'd watch for sure.

|

9/3/2018 8:55 AM

blizzbikes wrote:

If you could keep the vlog videos to about 1-3 seconds long I'd watch for sure.

Haha we have plenty of those! Check out our Instagram.wink

|

9/3/2018 10:20 AM

Well it depends on your target audience. If you want to appeal to kids you need to go the classic clickbait little shit route. Of course you need a heavily shopped thumbnail with some shit that kids are attracted to, like gold cars and oil slick vapes. The vlog should consist of 90% talking about your boring ass mundane daily life followed by a clip of you selfie filming yourself pulling up to the park on your bike. That's all the riding you will need.

If you want to create a respectable video basically film straight tricks. Someone else mentioned begin's vlogs. I've seen a bunch and I still have some in my playlist because they are almost mini daily edits. Clip after clip and no bs talking about what you ate for lunch.

The thing about vlogs is that they are meaningless. They are disposable. One time use. You watch the newest daily vlog and then forget about it and never touch it again. It sounds harsh but your life is not interesting enough to get people interested in what you do in your free time, besides riding. Videos like begin's or edventures are a bit more memorable and have rewatch value.

|

9/4/2018 1:18 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/4/2018 1:21 AM

None of that "Okay guys so don't forget to like the video and leave a comment and like the video and hey stop right now and like the video and go ahead and subscribe to my channel and leave a like and click on that bell to join the #NotificationSquad and share it with everyone you know alive or dead" stuff.

I really like it when I watch a video through and they don't promote themselves more than once.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

9/4/2018 7:42 AM

I made my first peanut butter banana espresso smoothie yesterday and sat down and watched the Capital Crew Vlogs. I dig 'em. I like that you guys ride different shit, riding in that mall was cool, and I like that you guys don't really talk about a whole bunch of shit, you just ride, give a background of a spot, etc. I like and follow Nate, Kayak, and you Tim, and I think you guys have the personalities and skills to get some solid and consistent viewers.

Stuff I noticed:

I dig that slow beat you guys have used a couple times. I think a lot of people underestimate the value of familiarity and think they're gonna make things boring. I'd suggest like...maybe once every 3 months changing the background instrumental music up a bit. Keep it the same for a bit so people recognize that this music goes with riding, etc. but then change it once in a while to keep things fresh

Play that music during the time lapses. The sound during time lapse at least to me, is kinda jarring.

Other than that, I liked them and will definitely watch more if you put them out. I guess the one thing to really remember is since BMX is a bit of a random community that sometimes acts allergic to making money, the riding is what keeps people coming back. If you're really all about it, you don't need much besides some talented riders, a curb/bank/parking lot, and some laughs.

Keep it up, dude.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

9/4/2018 8:09 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/4/2018 8:09 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

I made my first peanut butter banana espresso smoothie yesterday and sat down and watched the Capital Crew Vlogs. I dig 'em. I like that you guys ride different shit, riding in that mall was cool, and I like that you guys don't really talk about a whole bunch of shit, you just ride, give a background of a spot, etc. I like and follow Nate, Kayak, and you Tim, and I think you guys have the personalities and skills to get some solid and consistent viewers.

Stuff I noticed:

I dig that slow beat you guys have used a couple times. I think a lot of people underestimate the value of familiarity and think they're gonna make things boring. I'd suggest like...maybe once every 3 months changing the background instrumental music up a bit. Keep it the same for a bit so people recognize that this music goes with riding, etc. but then change it once in a while to keep things fresh

Play that music during the time lapses. The sound during time lapse at least to me, is kinda jarring.

Other than that, I liked them and will definitely watch more if you put them out. I guess the one thing to really remember is since BMX is a bit of a random community that sometimes acts allergic to making money, the riding is what keeps people coming back. If you're really all about it, you don't need much besides some talented riders, a curb/bank/parking lot, and some laughs.

Keep it up, dude.

Much love brotha tongue Glad you enjoy our videos! Theres plenty more to come

|