BMX a sport?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/14/2014 11:51 AM

I was having a conversation with someone and they asked what sports i was interested in, i explain to them that riding (BMX) and Skating (skateboarding) were the two prominent ones right now, or have been for a bit. They said they weren't sports but fitness and a hobby. I personally consider both as sports, i just want to know what you guys think if it's considered sport or not.

|

Refs: Four x4, Dolphin, BrokenBMX, Tomdon, ecuadevil...

9/14/2014 11:53 AM

Nope. Never was and never will be. You're hobbies suck. Go buy a fucking scooter

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

9/14/2014 1:23 PM

Scoot scoot bang bang

|

13 years old

9/14/2014 1:24 PM

|

13 years old

9/14/2014 1:56 PM

Real sports involve playing with balls

Fapping > BMX

|

9/14/2014 2:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/14/2014 2:08 PM

To sum this up. Here is the definition of 'sport'

Sport
spɔːt/Submit
noun
an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
"team sports such as soccer and rugby"
synonyms: (competitive) game(s), physical recreation, physical activity, physical exercise; pastime
"he takes part in a variety of sports"

I take that as yes, even though we do not have to compete against others, but as there are competitions held globally for cash. BMX is indeed a sport.

Especially racing.

|

9/14/2014 2:16 PM

Yes.

In sports marketing and similar things, they consider it an extreme sport.

People now-a-days seem to have this vision that if you're not on a team or you can't sign up for it in high school, then it's not a sport but I totally disagree. Boxing is a sport that I participate in. I'm not on a boxing team and I can't do it in school but I can still do it at the boxing gym downtown.

And I'll be damned if Rocky wasn't an athlete.

BMX is a sport.

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock

YouTube
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

9/14/2014 2:18 PM

Stocksy wrote:

Yes.

In sports marketing and similar things, they consider it an extreme sport.

People now-a-days seem to have this ...more

As well as skateboarding, rollerblading, and yes, even scootering, for that matter.

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock

YouTube
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

9/14/2014 3:36 PM

ChrisWilmshurst wrote:

Sport
spɔːt/Submit
noun
an activity involving physical exertion and ...more

Let us not forget BMX stands for (Bicycle MotoCross). BMX has been a vehicle sport since the day of its invention.

Freestyle and Suprercross has taking BMX to the next level as an extreme vehicle sport.

|

9/14/2014 5:52 PM

That's not to say a sport can't be a hobbie. It's the popularity of mainstream shit that gets most thinking that ball sports on tv is all there is. You will run into many more of these people throughout your lifetime, just politely tell them that they're half retarded and that riding bmx helps lower high cholesterol.

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

9/14/2014 6:30 PM

All in how you look at it.

Xgames? Then yeah. Competition aspect could make it a sport, which I personally feel doesn't need to exist in bmx, but what do I know.

Someone like, say, Clint Reynolds, might call it a way of life.

It's all in how you view your own thing.

|

bikes destroy vlogs.

ref: slade_vincent, shutta, ecuadevil, theprophet, blackmammoth, sfb, element4all, bmx-junkie, kurtnut, nickg, jessebmx, dontDELETE, krbmx17, ninjacat, freddydapice, waanng, ivan, scramhype, motogrizz, tomdon, dream, hatebreeder, noendinsight666, asilva, wolfen, superstarDK, skubasteve, aebasher, many more.

9/15/2014 7:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/15/2014 7:37 AM

i dont see it as a sport. it's a hobby, a hobby that's more awesome than any "sport". sports have rules, we do whatever the hell we want. "real" sports are shit (no offense to people who also do "real" sports on this forum).

|

You're never too old to have fun.

Bike
Summer riding

9/15/2014 9:10 AM

Thanks guys for the responses! Though for me it is a hobby though i do consider it a sport, considering for all the stuff pros do, besides the edits. Football, basketball, baseball, soccor, etc... can be considered a hobby if friends are going to each others houses or meeting to play for a bit.

|

Refs: Four x4, Dolphin, BrokenBMX, Tomdon, ecuadevil...

9/15/2014 2:56 PM

tr1x wrote:

i dont see it as a sport. it's a hobby, a hobby that's more awesome than any "sport". sports have rules, we do whatever the ...more

I find this interesting. How can one do a trick and not have rules?

|

9/15/2014 8:36 PM

It's a non-traditional sport, but a sport nonetheless.

The lack of rules makes it non-traditional. The physical activity involved and potential for competition make it a sport.

Either way, it's fun. That's what's most important.

|

9/15/2014 8:39 PM

If nascar is a sport, bmx is a sport -_-

|

I ride to stay on two wheels and have fun!
BIKE CHECK

9/15/2014 8:44 PM

A sport is any physical activity that requires skill.

|

When the river runs red, take the dirt road instead.

9/15/2014 10:49 PM

I BMX because it isn't a "sport" ; no rules to follow , no fouls , no referee bs. I consider pro's athletes though , BMX is a very physical AND mental game .

I'd say it's an artform , I express MYSELF , not a team.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

9/16/2014 1:38 AM

ChrisWilmshurst wrote:

Sport
spɔːt/Submit
noun
an activity involving physical exertion and ...more

Wayne S wrote:

Let us not forget BMX stands for (Bicycle MotoCross). BMX has been a vehicle sport since the day of its invention.

Freestyle ...more

Points 1 and 2. Yes, it is. BMX racing is in the Olympics right? Competitions are held pretty often for all disciplines of BMX, for money or just for easy entertainment such as a game of BIKE. Every reply in this thread makes a great point honestly. As mentioned, just cuz it doesn't involve playing with balls, isn't broadcast every week on 30 different tv channels, doesn't draw stadium size crowds, doesn't have traditional officials and rules, doesn't make it any less of a sport. If anyone ever questions you, tell them there's a reason it's called an extreme sport and there's isn't.

|

9/16/2014 3:42 AM

It's only a sport if everyone who participates in it does steroids.

|

In real life, i'm a short Perverted Azn Man.
But in the internet, i'm a killing machine with 10 years MMA training experience.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
(͡O╭͜ʖ╮͡O)

9/16/2014 7:21 AM

Sports are for the gays thats why they all involve balls and ass grabbing hahaha

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

9/16/2014 8:33 AM

We are an extreme sport! EXTREME FUCK YEAH!!!

|

9/17/2014 3:35 AM

Fuck to DA nizzo.

No more than hippy golf is.

|