BMX & ADD/ADHD?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/18/2013 9:21 AM

Well I've got adhd but my mother has refused to keep me medicated my whole life. So I guess I don't understand what its like to be "normal". I'm just curious (this is too others with add or adhd) how do you ride when your medicated compared to unmedicated? Is there any drastic change in your skills/style? Or learning ability when it comes to tricks?

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

11/18/2013 9:25 AM

The only time I've been on medication is when I got 2 teeth pulled for braces.

I didn't bother to ride for a few days because of the pain.

|

I'm gonna need bigger bars

11/18/2013 9:38 AM

I never really noticed a difference in myself when I was taking my ADD meds as opposed to when I wasn't taking them. Haven't taken em in a few years, and apparently when I'd take it like once a week or so I'd have wicked withdrawals and I'd get really short tempered and vulgar, I think that's just who I am haha. Anyway the only time It affects me riding wise is sometimes I'll be chilling during a session and just zone out

|

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim

11/18/2013 10:58 AM

Dude, I have been dealing with that shit my entire life. In school, from about 1st grade on, I just couldn't stand doing school work. My 1st grade teacher would tell me I was lazy, I was too dumb for her class, etc. This same teacher used to twist my arm backwards and tell me how disgusting I was for coming to school filthy. ( I'm left handed, for writing purposes anyway, and she was referring to the graphite all over my pinky and side of my hand.) funny thing was, there was a student that say in the row next to me that shit his pants every day during class, and she wouldn't say a word to him, and he would just sit there in his poopy pants the rest of the day. The funny thing was, when I would take tests, I would ace them.

Anyway, I never was on medicine until I reached my mid 30's, I would just push through it and mostly do things that actually interest me so it was easier to hold my attention. I have been on a couple different ones, and the only difference I notice on or off med is I get a little tired on it, but can stay on task without getting distracted as much. At one point, I was on a high dose for most people to take once a day, and I took it twice per day. When it comes to riding, I don't really notice any difference. I don't take it all the time, more like just as needed, because as I'm sure some of you know, it becomes less effective the longer you're on it, and can require upping the dose. I also am cautious when it comes to the addictive stuff, since whether you were prescribed it or not, addiction is still addiction.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

11/18/2013 11:36 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/18/2013 11:39 AM

Not on Meds for ADD/ADHD but trust me the Meds i am taking will be 1000x Stronger than ANYTHING you will be taking..

This is my Meds list PER DAY

240mg of Morphine
3.6 GRAMS of Gabapentin (Nerve Blocker)
500mg of Tramadol (Another Painkiller)

200mg of Tegretol (Epilepsy/Black Outs)
1000mg/1GRAM (However You Want To Look At It) of Metformin (For Type One Diabetes)
42 Units of Humilin I Insulin (For Type One Diabetes)

I will open up about the other Meds i am taking to make my point to you in a minute...

75mg of Venlafaxine for Depression/Anxiety & i am coming off those right now to be switched over onto Fluoxitine which is basically Prozac!
I currently have Diazapan for the Anxiety if i get a really bad attack which is 6mg but that shit is seriously addictive & knocks the living shit out of me! So i don't take it very often. But i will have something to replace those that i can take daily.

I may well be getting sleeping tablets because i have Insomnia right now, but those will only be at night.

So yeah to my point. I am on all that PER DAY. Obviously when i first started taking a lot of it i did have side effects, i was a zombie, literally walking dead, totally wasted lol. BUT, i am totally used to everything now, even the Morphine. That is the highest dose my Doctor was willing to prescribe without me having a terminal illness haha. I have Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (Nerve Damage) So i really do need Pain Meds that pack a punch! If i was to give that dose of Morphine to You or any of my friends you would all be Unconscious!!. But i am totally used to it all now & it doesn't effect my every day life NOR does it effect my riding!

Your Meds might Fuck You Over a little bit to start off with but you will get used to it after a couple of weeks & then life will continue as normal without the ADD/ADHD symptoms!

Hope that helps buddy!

|

11/18/2013 11:41 AM

Chuck8273 wrote:

Dude, I have been dealing with that shit my entire life. In school, from about 1st grade on, I just couldn't stand doing school work. My 1st grade teacher would tell me I was lazy, I was too dumb for her class, etc. This same teacher used to twist my arm backwards and tell me how disgusting I was for coming to school filthy. ( I'm left handed, for writing purposes anyway, and she was referring to the graphite all over my pinky and side of my hand.) funny thing was, there was a student that say in the row next to me that shit his pants every day during class, and she wouldn't say a word to him, and he would just sit there in his poopy pants the rest of the day. The funny thing was, when I would take tests, I would ace them.

Anyway, I never was on medicine until I reached my mid 30's, I would just push through it and mostly do things that actually interest me so it was easier to hold my attention. I have been on a couple different ones, and the only difference I notice on or off med is I get a little tired on it, but can stay on task without getting distracted as much. At one point, I was on a high dose for most people to take once a day, and I took it twice per day. When it comes to riding, I don't really notice any difference. I don't take it all the time, more like just as needed, because as I'm sure some of you know, it becomes less effective the longer you're on it, and can require upping the dose. I also am cautious when it comes to the addictive stuff, since whether you were prescribed it or not, addiction is still addiction.

Sounds like we encountered similar schooling problems. I can't do any work but ill get an A on every test. Which sadly doesn't cut it so I'm miserable at school because no matter how hard I try, I can't bring myself to do enough to succede (homework is 80% of the grade). But on a better note, I scored top 4 percentile in the country for my IQ.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

11/18/2013 11:41 AM

Topsey wrote:

Not on Meds for ADD/ADHD but trust me the Meds i am taking will be 1000x Stronger than ANYTHING you will be taking..

240mg of Morphine

1000mg/1GRAM (However You Want To Look At It) of Metformin (For Type One Diabetes)

I will open up about the other Meds i am taking to make my point to you in a minute...

75mg of Venlafaxine for Depression/Anxiety & i am coming off those right now to be switched over onto Fluoxitine which is basically Prozac!
I currently have Diazapan for the Anxiety if i get a really bad attack which is 6mg but that shit is seriously addictive & knocks the living shit out of me! So i don't take it very often. But i will have something to replace those that i can take daily.

I may well be getting sleeping tablets because i have Insomnia right now, but those will only be at night.

So yeah to my point. I am on all that PER DAY. Obviously when i first started taking a lot of it i did have side effects, i was a zombie, literally walking dead, totally wasted lol. BUT, i am totally used to everything now, even the Morphine. That is the highest dose my Doctor was willing to prescribe without me having a terminal illness haha. I have Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (Nerve Damage) So i really do need Pain Meds that pack a punch! If i was to give that dose of Morphine to You or any of my friends you would all be Unconscious!!. But i am totally used to it all now & it doesn't effect my every day life NOR does it effect my riding!

Your Meds might Fuck You Over a little bit to start off with but you will get used to it after a couple of weeks & then life will continue as normal without the ADD/ADHD symptoms!

Hope that helps buddy!

Topsey has returned.

Photo

|

11/18/2013 11:51 AM

Haha! Hello again Kane, Glad to see you haven't lost your sense of humor laughing Yes i have returned! shocked Go check out my New Bike Check!

|

11/18/2013 12:05 PM

Topsey wrote:

Haha! Hello again Kane, Glad to see you haven't lost your sense of humor laughing Yes i have returned! shocked Go check out my New Bike Check!

already seen doood.

dank bomb as a shizzle

|

11/18/2013 12:12 PM

The point here isn't really meds in general. Its riding with ADD/ADHD compared to being "normal" or on ADD/ADHD meds.

Also, just a random thought.. I know no one here isa doctor and this Iis completely irrelevant to my OP but it really boggles my mind. Maybe someone here knows.
So people with ADHD/ADD react the opposite to things (such as caffeine, coffee usually knocks me out and Nyquil keeps me up all night) which is why they take "speed" (Aterol, etc.) to calm themselves and slow down. And when a normal person takes "speed" (Aterol, etc.) they get really hyper and whatnot.
That being said, does that mean that people with ADD/ADHD are naturally "speeding" all the time (not on meds)?
Also, if a person with ADD/ADHD were to do an illegal drug that "hyper-speeds" you, such as cocaine, would it also take a different effect or would the strength over power ADHD and do its normal effects?

|

11/18/2013 1:51 PM

LoL Tim that is an excellent point! A full one ADHD Child on Speed! That could be interesting!!

|

11/18/2013 2:08 PM

Topsey wrote:

LoL Tim that is an excellent point! A full one ADHD Child on Speed! That could be interesting!!

Zoooooooom....

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

11/18/2013 5:09 PM

I don't feel much of a difference when riding whether I've taken my meds or not. School work... that's another story.

|

I have 75 cool points and 5 awesome points

Buy/Sell Refs: Showtime402, fsearles, ticaleb, howlerfbm (x2), irideafly, the balt (x2), MrHavoc1988. dprc

11/18/2013 5:28 PM

what about ocd?

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

11/18/2013 5:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/18/2013 5:58 PM

Topsey wrote:

240mg of Morphine

Hope that helps buddy!

ive been on prozac (fluoxitine) for around 4 years, finally getting off of it recently. It made me feel like shit, randomly flip out, and shake alot in class. I just recently got off of it, and I feel better than ever, and i feel a lot more relaxed, like i can chill out completely . Though i cant speak for everyone on it, there are more than a few studies directly linking it to seratonin syndrome and reduced or nonexistent libido. Not to get into social issues, but it seems like a lot of doctors these days give them out like candy... Really hope it is the right fit for ya topsey!

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

11/18/2013 5:56 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

The point here isn't really meds in general. Its riding with ADD/ADHD compared to being "normal" or on ADD/ADHD meds.

Also, just a random thought.. I know no one here isa doctor and this Iis completely irrelevant to my OP but it really boggles my mind. Maybe someone here knows.
So people with ADHD/ADD react the opposite to things (such as caffeine, coffee usually knocks me out and Nyquil keeps me up all night) which is why they take "speed" (Aterol, etc.) to calm themselves and slow down. And when a normal person takes "speed" (Aterol, etc.) they get really hyper and whatnot.
That being said, does that mean that people with ADD/ADHD are naturally "speeding" all the time (not on meds)?
Also, if a person with ADD/ADHD were to do an illegal drug that "hyper-speeds" you, such as cocaine, would it also take a different effect or would the strength over power ADHD and do its normal effects?

adderal, not generaly called speed, (you spelled aterol) is a focusing drug often "abused" by college students trying to stay awake to finish school work. It isnt (from what ive heard) a very fun drug, it just makes you stay awake and focus better, hence its use for kids with add/adhd

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

11/19/2013 3:48 AM

YOU DO NOT NEED MEDICATION FOR ANYTHING NO ONE SHOUD EVER BE PUT ON PILLS!!!

thank God your mother is against that crap, I got put on a drug Called riddlen and it made me a zombie, I was on it 1st threw 3rd grade only during school days and it took me year's to recover from it

Trust me man you are perfectly normal just the way you are

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

11/19/2013 2:54 PM

I think taking drugs for ADD/ADHD is awful. I dont care how "disruptive" or "un-focused" a child is, it is the parent's or teacher's job to help him. I probably have some sort of hyperactive disorder, accompanied by my depression, but i take it as it comes and goes, i dont take things for it (although itd be fun to try that). It sucks having to deal with it sometimes. I think a lot of BMX riders happen to have ADD/ ADHD (Adam LZ, Tom Dugan, etc.) and honestly, it HELPS. You have an abnormal amount of energy, you have a more random approach (which helps in creating lines), and you can usually be more fun. I couldnt imagine life without having this stuff going on, ADD/ ADHD is a great thing to have honestly. Maybe not for the stupid Cookie Cutter Education System. But for REAL LIFE, having ADD/ ADHD has created some of the finest artists, musicians, and actors ever. The school needs to teach children how to focus the energy, not hand them a damn worksheet. I could go on for days about how much i hate the education system, but this is a BMX Forum. Dont take drugs for ADD/ ADHD, be you!

Thank you for coming back Topsey! You were really missed!
Same for you OneGuyIlluminatieEye! haha!

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

11/19/2013 2:59 PM

feeble_to_face wrote:

what about ocd?

I have had that my ENTIRE life. haha i think everyone should have it a little. I go from one obsession to another. My first obsession was BIONICLES (anyone remember those? i had every single one) and i saved every bit of money to get them. haha I then outgrew them and moved on to BMX. I always loved to ride bikes, and when my one friend showed me some stuff, i was hooked, now im obsessed. i have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder all day everyday. I dont have that neatness kind, but i have that kind where i am obsessive over one thing and seem to not care about anything else. I am OCD about my riding for sure. If my threes dont look or feel the right way in a line, i keep doing it. haha etc.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

11/19/2013 4:30 PM

god, you guys are hardcore, only drug im on is omeprozole........ pretty boring aswell tbh, you wouldnt know youve taken it... i can but thats because without it i end up in horrible pain (after 2-3 days though)...sucks ill be on it forever though :L

|

NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)

11/19/2013 7:04 PM

Topsey wrote:

240mg of Morphine

Hope that helps buddy!

you sir, are a fucking boss for riding with that... props to you, I know you had a bunch of fucked up illness things

and you should be fine ridign without or with your meds, shit I used to ride wasted all the time, it didn't effect it much, I actually rode park better lolol

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

11/19/2013 7:18 PM

I have ADD/adhd. i was on concerta and was on the highest they could put me on. And then i told my mom i was done.. so i stopped taking it..
i never noticed anything different. when im riding i dont feel like im as messed up as i do normally. im focused and am normal.
off the bike is an entirely different story. While on i got as in all my classes because of hw but now i get cs because i dont do hw and ace the test... it's funny because my math teachers hate me because of it..

|

Deviant BMX store
Shirts and Iphone cases available soon! Check site for details!

11/19/2013 7:30 PM

feeble_to_face wrote:

what about ocd?

Shit, crack in the concrete, can't ride here. Fuck, scratch on that spoke, this entire fucking wheel is useless. GODDAMMIT, his wheels ate different colors. Crap, chip in the paint, might as well throw the bike away.

|

11/19/2013 7:39 PM

feeble_to_face wrote:

what about ocd?

damn it this shit kills me

|

11/19/2013 7:54 PM

i have ADHD and when im medicated im more calm and more focused on riding. while unmedicated i am more doing stuff without thinking whether that be saying something or trying something.

|

just huck it

11/20/2013 11:49 AM

amphetamines will make you ride at 110%

|

wallride a bus everyday

11/20/2013 12:07 PM

I ever so rarely take Advil...

yea...

I'm hardcore like that.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura