BMX and corporate America. Why arent we as popular?

Related:
Create New Tag

3/31/2013 12:47 PM

Most people are aware some type of BMX exists, but not as aware of skateboarding, from what i have observed. Every time i see commercials endorsing a freestyle sport, it's either skateboarding or something. A lot of brands do sponsor bmx riders, but it is never out there enough! Why is the market for bmx not as good as skateboarding is my question? Idk if it is where i live or not, but i see way more kids on bikes than boards. I have no problem at all with skateboarding. I do however have a problem with how little BMX is advertised to the world. Another point is we as BMXers are not allowed at a lot of skateparks, which is bullshit. if it were more advertised i feel it may increase the chance of less skateparks banning bikes. How do you guys propose we get BMX out there?

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

3/31/2013 12:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/31/2013 12:54 PM

I think it's because of MTV shows like Viva La Bam, Rob & Big, Tony Hawks Pro Skater, Bam Margera, Lil Wayne, That odd future shit, Jackass, Ryan Sheckler, Justin Biber, Rob Dyrdek. If you look Skating has been shown in many things where as bmx has not been as much. I don't mind it honestly. The skating community has turned to shit. It's just a bunch of wanna be thugs talking shit to each other listening to shitty rap music. A bunch of swag fags and trendwhores. Bmx is still a pretty good community. I also skate too.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

3/31/2013 12:59 PM

Yeah i definitely think MTV has a lot to do with it. Has there ever been a BMX TV show? Not that i know of. I just think BMX deserves a piece of the corporate America action. DC dropping their WHOLE team including the injured Bret Banasaewics!! If BMX were bigger and hotter i feel like these kind of things wouldnt happen. If you ask me, in terms of how things look, BMX looks the best! But that is my opinion i guess.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

3/31/2013 1:00 PM

To be honest I think it's a good thing. We don't need little Swagfags and cocky little kids in BMX.

|

3/31/2013 1:05 PM

BMX_Forever wrote:

To be honest I think it's a good thing. We don't need little Swagfags and cocky little kids in BMX.

Totally agree, but also imo custom skateboardboard- $150/custom bike $1k+

|

3/31/2013 1:07 PM

Nope, BMX has been featured on shows like Camp Woodward on fueltv but it was skating too. Yeah I see what you're saying but at the same time it's good. Fuck DC they're a shit company anyways. Their shoes suck for bmx and skating. I'd rather support a company like Emerica or Orchid. Skating suffers too because the whores like Adidas and Converse have entered because of the money. Adio and es footwear have both gone out of business and New Balance is starting to make skate shoes. All the wrong people are getting involved in the sport. BMX is doing okay enough for the real companies to stay running.

|

3/31/2013 1:10 PM

BMX_Forever wrote:

there are still both of those in BMX either way. haha

|

3/31/2013 1:11 PM

i agree with what you are saying about skaters having more parks than bmx. i know of a dude who was kicked from a park for grinding ledges on pegs (using plastic pegs). when he then told the dude that he wasn't causing anymore damage than a board he got forced out or the have police caught.
also there is an indoor park near ish to me which allows blades, boards and scooters but no bikes sue to the bigger wheels will cause more damage...

|

Bruh

3/31/2013 1:13 PM

Four wrote:

Nope, BMX has been featured on shows like Camp Woodward on fueltv but it was skating too. Yeah I see what you're saying but at the same time it's good. Fuck DC they're a shit company anyways. Their shoes suck for bmx and skating. I'd rather support a company like Emerica or Orchid. Skating suffers too because the whores like Adidas and Converse have entered because of the money. Adio and es footwear have both gone out of business and New Balance is starting to make skate shoes. All the wrong people are getting involved in the sport. BMX is doing okay enough for the real companies to stay running.

Yeah i definitely get what you are saying, but BMX could make the world better by showing how cool it really is. We go high, we spin fast, and we fall hard. And all we get is no access to skateparks and get kicked out of spots. The world doesnt realize how cool BMX is, but they look at skateboarding enough to build skateparks.

|

3/31/2013 1:15 PM

Zach P-D wrote:

i agree with what you are saying about skaters having more parks than bmx. i know of a dude who was kicked from a park for grinding ledges on pegs (using plastic pegs). when he then told the dude that he wasn't causing anymore damage than a board he got forced out or the have police caught.
also there is an indoor park near ish to me which allows blades, boards and scooters but no bikes sue to the bigger wheels will cause more damage...

Forreal!! They just see it as danger and not what it really is! The world needs to realize how much we need to ride. Its unfair and wrong and it needs to end.

|

3/31/2013 1:19 PM

MaximusBikes wrote:

Yeah i definitely get what you are saying, but BMX could make the world better by showing how cool it really is. We go high, we spin fast, and we fall hard. And all we get is no access to skateparks and get kicked out of spots. The world doesnt realize how cool BMX is, but they look at skateboarding enough to build skateparks.

Yeah I agree bmx in all skateparks and it being more profitable for companies and pros but I'm thankful I don't get a BMX catalog with fucking Lil Wayne's goofy looking ass on the cover like with my CCS catalogs -_- The people who ride bmx (MOST) do it because they like it, not just because it's all over mtv like skating.

|

3/31/2013 1:24 PM

Four wrote:

Yeah I agree bmx in all skateparks and it being more profitable for companies and pros but I'm thankful I don't get a BMX catalog with fucking Lil Wayne's goofy looking ass on the cover like with my CCS catalogs -_- The people who ride bmx (MOST) do it because they like it, not just because it's all over mtv like skating.

Again, i understand haha but there are still gonna be kids riding bikes for wrong reasons either way. and i dont really care if a rapper wants to endorse bmx. Lil Wayne Endorsed Animal clothing for a bit. I cant really see any rappers thatd want to ride bmx though, too much energy for anyone on too many drugs haha jk

|

3/31/2013 1:28 PM

MaximusBikes wrote:

Again, i understand haha but there are still gonna be kids riding bikes for wrong reasons either way. and i dont really care if a rapper wants to endorse bmx. Lil Wayne Endorsed Animal clothing for a bit. I cant really see any rappers thatd want to ride bmx though, too much energy for anyone on too many drugs haha jk

That's true my man but most won't stick with it. I don't care if a rapper wants to endorse bmx either but not a dildo like Lil Wayne. It just brings a bunch of wiggers and wanna be thugs to the sport, like what's happened to skating. I do remember him wearing an Animal hat or something lol. Philly Swain kinda endorses bmx, Chase Dehart was in one of his music videos.

|

3/31/2013 1:34 PM

Yeah haha still, i see wanna be thugs ride bmx. I do think it may change bmx, but for the better. itd make bmx look to the world as a thing of peace and fun, not "damn kid keeps jumping near my yard!" and maybe, if we are lucky, we will get BMX specific places to ride and even a show or a BIKEpark, where things are designed to make bike riding better, not a compromise between a skating ledge and a bmx ledge/ramp whatever.

|

3/31/2013 1:51 PM

Sprouts with us. We as a majority are not a whole lot of people. I mean albes only has 3000 followers on IG. Skating is huge! Almost every kid skated or tried/wanted too. Skating became big before bmx, therefore everyone in action sports Styled clothing looks like a "skater".
Another thing is the cost, people can barely afford mongooses from wallymart, yet alone a 1000-1300 dollar custom.
Skatin video games are also a hell of a lot easier to creat, A and left does a variable, rather than A and left does a crank flip.

Basically are you gonna donate food to charity for one family or 3 families? Advertising is the same, they'll promote the bigger sport first.

Hope this makes sense cuz I couldn't say it exactly how I wanted to, jut couldn't put it in words.

|

I seek progression, not perfection.

Refs:Beastassdickwink~Dk/oldschool908~TheLilozzy~jaypee23~Bstick~agfracing~MoyBoy5~RIDE a BIKE~wade5~Mattmuldoon@hotmail.com x2~jakebikes~ joe loves shadow~ diss diqq~ k1ng~fly for life x2~spikez5~four~jb07~mike duda~ DORbmx~ bobPA~superstarDK

3/31/2013 2:18 PM

future FBM wrote:

Sprouts with us. We as a majority are not a whole lot of people. I mean albes only has 3000 followers on IG. Skating is huge! Almost every kid skated or tried/wanted too. Skating became big before bmx, therefore everyone in action sports Styled clothing looks like a "skater".
Another thing is the cost, people can barely afford mongooses from wallymart, yet alone a 1000-1300 dollar custom.
Skatin video games are also a hell of a lot easier to creat, A and left does a variable, rather than A and left does a crank flip.

Basically are you gonna donate food to charity for one family or 3 families? Advertising is the same, they'll promote the bigger sport first.

Hope this makes sense cuz I couldn't say it exactly how I wanted to, jut couldn't put it in words.

i see what you are saying for sure. Skating really does have a specific style and look that people like, but who is to stop bmx from creating that? and yeah, bikes are expensive, but they wont be if corporate America endorses it better they may not cost as much.

|

3/31/2013 2:40 PM

Has anyone seen the show ''props'' on fuel tv? That is all BMX.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

3/31/2013 3:16 PM

Fuck the corporations. I like BMX as it is. Kind of an underground sport. Lets just continue to keep it real no bs.

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

3/31/2013 3:20 PM

Well where I live bmx is rising but mostly in swagfag middle schoolers who talk shit but can't do anything on there $500 bikes...just pisses me off. Then the rest are mainly like me, low level ametaur but there's a few good kids who everyone looks up to.

|

3/31/2013 4:15 PM

T3xasFan24 wrote:

Well where I live bmx is rising but mostly in swagfag middle schoolers who talk shit but can't do anything on there $500 bikes...just pisses me off. Then the rest are mainly like me, low level ametaur but there's a few good kids who everyone looks up to.

haha yeah yeah, that is what happens, the people that usually stick with it end up being the best though!

|

3/31/2013 4:17 PM

BMXism wrote:

Fuck the corporations. I like BMX as it is. Kind of an underground sport. Lets just continue to keep it real no bs.

I agree, its nice to be underground, but not nice because nobody knows what it is like or what it is about or who we are. if more people saw it maybe the world would be kinder and give us a skatepark or two. haha

|

3/31/2013 4:19 PM

From one side I want more people to discover and appreciate BMX, from another side I want to keep it the less mainstream possible.
The more popular a sport or activity is the more corporations will use it for their own benefits till they completely ruin it.

|

"Are they punkin' me Tio, are they punkin' me?"

3/31/2013 4:32 PM

BMX_Forever wrote:

in a way it's bad, but also good cause they're at least spending money supporting bmx companies. it does piss me off seeing people buy bikes just cause they think it's cool.

I knew a lot of swaggots at school who thought they were the shit cause they brought their skateboards into school and wore skater clothing but couldn't do ANYTHING on a board besides barely ride it. same thing happens with queers who buy bmx clothing and super good bikes but can't do anything. I know a kid who has almost $1000 into his bike and is currently adding more and he can't even bunnyhop, but at least the money goes to bmx companies as much as I think kids like that are a bunch of fags

|

3/31/2013 4:43 PM

T3xasFan24 wrote:

thats exactly lik my school but they say that they can 360 and tuck no hander but i see the riding fucking walmart bikes

|

3/31/2013 5:18 PM

I think bmx could stand to gain some popularity. I mean yeah with it comes the swaggots who will start wearing bmx brands just because they're cool and they'll buy a bike for all the wrong reasons but at least companies can make money and riders will start getting paid. I never knew how little riders made until i started reading interviews and shit, some pro riders still don't even make enough to live off of. If you think about it if we say we don't want it do grow we're kinda like those music hipsters that don't want their favorite band to be successful and go mainstream just because every kid at school will be listening to their songs then.

|

3/31/2013 5:24 PM

Why do you have a problem with how Bmx is advertised to the world? There is more skaters than bmxers there has to be.... since the media feeds skating to the masses that's what they'll do.

I for one think Bmx is fine the way it is people don't know about it unless they look for it or know what it is. Half the people at my school when I mention Bmx they ask me "what's that?" Such a beautiful question to hear.... it let's me know that the people who really know what Bmx is are in the sport because of what it means to them not because some vitamin water ad tells them bmx is cool (like they do skating).

I seem to have a tendency towards street art.... To me bmx is like street art people don't know who Banksy is unless they're into that kind of stuff... Bmx is expressing yourself the way you want to express yourself when I wall ride something and I later go by that place I get the feeling of I conquered that wall, you see those tire marks on the wall.... that's me expressing myself. My bike Is an expression of me... my bike has had a pretty big influence on my life... Bmx the sport itself has had a pretty big influence on me. I don't know if that influence will shape my whole life and I frankly don't care I appreciate the time I've had on my bike and move on. Personally people will call you stupid and a retard because come on lets be honest..... who the hell does 360's off a stair set for the fun of it? Who wall rides and risks getting hurt for the glory of riding a bike? These memories of me crashing bailing fixing my bike and all that i've done with my bike are worth nothing to nobody but me and the people who've experienced them. When I die what will remain of me will be those tire marks on the wall.... not sure what I just wrote =P

TLDR: It's ok man Bmx doesn't need to be mainstream I dislike when things I love go mainstream because then people blow it up and it isn't as beautiful anymore

|

3/31/2013 5:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/31/2013 5:26 PM

Four wrote:

I think it's because of MTV shows like Viva La Bam, Rob & Big, Tony Hawks Pro Skater, Bam Margera, Lil Wayne, That odd future shit, Jackass, Ryan Sheckler, Justin Biber, Rob Dyrdek. If you look Skating has been shown in many things where as bmx has not been as much. I don't mind it honestly. The skating community has turned to shit. It's just a bunch of wanna be thugs talking shit to each other listening to shitty rap music. A bunch of swag fags and trendwhores. Bmx is still a pretty good community. I also skate too.

This... Beautiful....

Bmx is perfectly fine the way it is... We make the "gold coins in the dirt that haven't been found" ( Not sure if most of you guys will understand that....)

I've seen girls get their pussy juiced up because of some guy who walks around with his skateboard....

|

3/31/2013 5:29 PM

BNC wrote:

Totally agree, but also imo custom skateboardboard- $150/custom bike $1k+

Custom.... that's for dedicated riders A beginner shouldn't be buying a thousand dollar bike.... If people want to truly get into Bmx and be a part of Bmx they'll have to work for it I remember busting my ass for my $400 dollar bike peeling copper cables to sell the copper collecting cans painting around the house... It's shit like that that ill remember for the rest of my life whether I still ride or not. If I don't ride I'll boast and reminisce about the passion and drive I once had as a kid for something as simple as a bike.

|

3/31/2013 5:33 PM

To everyone complaining about not having parks.... You guys have the power to build a park... Who gives a fuck if the city won't build a public park for bmxers grab boxes build ramps and chill out in some alley or empty parking lot.... Shit you can even go as far as building stuff in your own house ask other riders if they want to pitch in. Although I do advice on who you ask to pitch in to build some ramps at your house shit can get sketchy ask close friends or people you trust.

Use your imagination there's this hill near where I live and the trees have lifted the concrete sidewalk up. You know when the roots of the trees mess up the side walk and it becomes like a little jump.... I use that as my little "dirt jumps" can be pretty fun once you get the hang of riding some sketchy sidewalk =P

|

3/31/2013 5:35 PM

MaximusBikes wrote:

Yeah I understand little kids are going to ride bikes for the wrong reasons but that's what a few people out of 20. I rather have 4 kids out of 20 riding for the wrong reasons than have Bmx blow up and have 40 kids out of 48 riding for the wrong reasons....

|