BMX companies that make something DIFFERENT!

Related:
Create New Tag

9/27/2017 11:22 PM

I know WTP make the smuggler seat and post, that seems like a cool idea. Thought about buying one recently.

Eclat and odyssey make offset seatposts.

Eastern and some others make a titanium frame and such.

What other cool bmx related parts are out there that most people dont know about?

Whats the coolest thing that is off the wall or just plain a good idea you dont see others doing?

|

9/27/2017 11:30 PM

Fbm bottleneck stem, and Laird offers a bottle opener chainstay bridge. The banned stash cap. Most of its just gimmicks though. There's a couple of reasons not many companies make ti frames.

General attention to detail is something I get a bit moist over. Like logos stamped on stay caps, a nice headtube badge, a detailed seatstay bridge, a good looking gusset etc.

I think Bsd are the only company to have mushroomed pins on their chains, I'm yet to snap mine.

Practical ideas are good, but the progression of technology in part manufacture has slowed right down. I think every realistic or worthwhile idea has been done for such simple bikes

|

9/27/2017 11:46 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Fbm bottleneck stem, and Laird offers a bottle opener chainstay bridge. The banned stash cap. Most of its just gimmicks ...more

Don't a lot of chains have mushroomed pins? I know kmc has a few at least.

|

9/27/2017 11:46 PM

Wethepeople and the new tapered headtube sounds incredible . Stress BMX makes really unique stuff too .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

9/27/2017 11:56 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Fbm bottleneck stem, and Laird offers a bottle opener chainstay bridge. The banned stash cap. Most of its just gimmicks ...more

ggallin422 wrote:

Don't a lot of chains have mushroomed pins? I know kmc has a few at least.

In all honesty I've never looked into it. Chances are the Bsd is just a rebranded kmc anyway. I just don't recall many companies advertise it :/ either way, this chain has lasted longer than any other chain I've had

|

9/28/2017 12:56 AM

Eastern hasn't made a ti frame in YEARS. You may as well say Schwinn makes seats with rollers in them....

|

9/28/2017 12:59 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Like that banned stashcap.

Also, i think a lot of chains mushroom their pins. Isnt that how the links are held together? Or do they do something extra?

|

9/28/2017 1:00 AM

pnj wrote:

Eastern hasn't made a ti frame in YEARS. You may as well say Schwinn makes seats with rollers in them....

Lol, so they are just using old stock? I guess it wouldnt rust or anything...

|

9/28/2017 1:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/28/2017 1:04 AM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Wethepeople and the new tapered headtube sounds incredible . Stress BMX makes really unique stuff too .

I saw that wtp headtube before...not sure if I like it. I think some downhill bikes use that setup or something similar.

The only reason I dont like it is because it adds an extra part to the bike basically. Since you cant just carry a single spare headset bearing and have it work for both...unless they made a way to set a standard bearing in deeper... sounds possible? Idk

I know this post is about finding things that are different but Im still all about standardization...i know Im complicated. Lol

I want my cake and would like to consume it as well.

|

9/28/2017 1:58 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/28/2017 2:07 AM

Generally, chains are held together purely from it being a very snug fit. They aren't designed to be taken apart and put back together again like us bmxers do all the time. If you push a pin out, you shouldn't push it back in again. Maybe Bsd have intentionally mushroomed the pins more than other chains out there? I know I was splitting links pretty frequently on my previous chains, so whatever they do, it works.

As for the tapered headtube. It will add a lot of strength to the frame and forks. But everything is designed to have a bit of give. If the headtube flexes less, all that force will go somewhere else. Bars slipping, or even breaking could be a problem. You can get 25.4mm diameter clamping areas now which could cure that. But then the force would have to go somewhere else. Like your wrists. Running lower psi in your front tyre could compensate that. But then you'd be looking at having to buy frame, forks, stem and bars, and running a lower psi. Just to have a tapered headtube.

I keep seeing ideas that companies release, and they seem to be thinking about how much it will appeal to the riders, but not how practical it is.
Short chainstays with wide tyre clearance simply doesn't work. A correct chainline is a lot more important, but unless you're happy to replace the chain and sprocket more frequently, just so you can slam a 2.5" tyre. That tyre will make your bike less responsive anyway. So why not use a narrower, faster turning tyre with an extra half a link, and have a good chainline?

|

9/28/2017 9:25 AM

pnj wrote:

Titanium Nightrain

Titanium Grim Reaper
|

9/28/2017 9:36 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

I saw that wtp headtube before...not sure if I like it. I think some downhill bikes use that setup or something similar.

The ...more

Most higher end mtbs now use a taped head tube wether it's a light weight xc bike or a dh bike. It makes the front end stiffer and stronger. I mean who carries a headset bearing around anyway. I think your just creating a problem for yourself it seems. If standardization is your thing be glad you don't mtb because something new comes out everyday lol. I think the tapered head tube has to catch on first for it to be a success. I'm all for it it'll make your bike stringer so why not.

|

9/28/2017 10:42 AM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

The ...more

Coopers25 wrote:

Most higher end mtbs now use a taped head tube wether it's a light weight xc bike or a dh bike. It makes the front end stiffer ...more

Lol i dont literally carry an extra headset bearing in my pocket every ride. But I do like interchangability. Would you like it if you had to carry around a different sized allen key for every screw on your bike or is it more convenient to carry just one 6mm? Everything helps

Standardization is what makes your bike so easy to maintain and buy parts for.

That being said, improvements can always be made.

|

9/28/2017 10:57 AM

pnj wrote:

color me surprised.

I figured since they've been having trouble with business in recent years they wouldn't be trying to make higher end frames...

crazy.

who buys Eastern?

|

9/28/2017 11:07 AM

pnj wrote:

pnj wrote:

color me surprised.

I figured since they've been having trouble with business in recent years they wouldn't be trying to ...more

THey've been bouncing back decently from all that it seems.

Adding a few folks to a team, upgrading and bringing out more and new stuff again. Good for them! Had I been able to get the deal I did on my Radio I would be running an Eastern-I never had any real issues with mine.

As to the tapered ht, I like that they are checking out the idea, and if it catches on (like literally everything currently on bikes has been a similarly mocked idea) and makes things stronger/better, I am all for it.

Go back about 12 years, and integrated headsets were RARE in BMX. Sealed bearings were not as common 20 years ago without going with one of a few brands' highest level stuff. Chromoly parts were heavier and bulkier. Alloy frames were common in freestyle in the mid 90s. The list goes on.

Without companies trying to make changes, things will never change.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/28/2017 11:09 AM

Kenneth tencio is gnarly as fuck and he rides a grim reaper , eastern must be doing something right

|

9/28/2017 11:21 AM

I like eastern and have had pleasant customer service experiences with them. I own a few of their products and I am pleased with them. I will end up buying another one of their front wheels in the future.

|

9/28/2017 1:44 PM

I had no issues with my Grim Reaper. It flexed like crazy and I wasn't riding super hard at that point in my life but it wasn't a junk frame, IMO.

I didn't realize Eastern was making a comeback. good for them. John Byers killed it back in the day. I don't know why they never capitalized on the 'rider owned' thing. I had no idea who was behind them for a long time.

Who made aluminum frames for freestyle in the 90's ?

GT Show (flatland frame) and the 2-Hip Pork is all that comes to mind.

|

9/28/2017 1:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/28/2017 1:55 PM

pnj wrote:

I had no issues with my Grim Reaper. It flexed like crazy and I wasn't riding super hard at that point in my life but it ...more

I've seen a Grim Reaper X bike in person, in that chrome green colorway. Insane looking. Its somewhere on my instagram

|

9/29/2017 8:31 AM

pnj wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Lol, so they are just using old stock? I guess it wouldnt rust or anything...

Eastern is currently making titanium frames.

|

9/29/2017 11:38 AM

Super-Pawl wrote:

I've seen a Grim Reaper X bike in person, in that chrome green colorway. Insane looking. Its somewhere on my instagram

Photo

You mean, this one?

|

9/29/2017 12:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/29/2017 12:15 PM

The thing about Titanium that I'd be skeptical about is that it is notoriously "flexy". Now, I've only ever ridden a titanium mountain bike but it was just that, flexy". which wasn't necessarily a bad thing since it was a hard tail & no suspension up front so the ti frame didn't beat you to death like a steel frame or worse an aluminum frame would. I'm just not sure how that would translate, feel-wise, to street riding.

|

9/29/2017 2:02 PM

Ti shouldn't be anywhere near a bmx. It's simply not as strong as chromoly. It's just lighter. It's more flexy, and more brittle. I've seen 4 ti frames first hand, 2 road bikes (1 cracked, 1 flared headtube) and 2 xc mtb's (1 cracked, the other brand new....).
Ti bolts snap easier. And I had a ti driver that wore out in 18 months. I've seen kids snap ti axles then moan about it thinking they're indestructible. So, I'd say 90% of ti parts I've seen have failed. Just to save a few grams.

|