BMX is missing clothing companies

Related:
Create New Tag

9/26/2018 10:27 PM

Our brands put out some good stuff I would wear, but like what the hell happened to dedicated clothing companies?

I think a few would be really good for the sport as long as they actually sponsor riders and throw jams etc. All of our “competing” sports have them. Even Inline! And theyre MUCH smaller than us. With brands like: Themgoods, Vibralux, Bladergang, Shredweiser etc.

|

9/27/2018 12:09 AM

You're obviously not on Instagram. It seems every scene has a clothing brand, there's hecking loads on there

|

9/27/2018 6:47 AM

BMX is not missing clothing companies at all.

BMX clothes I have that get compliments on:

FBM shirt
Odyssey shirts
Shadow Conspiracy T-shirts, denim jacket, and winter jacket
Subrosa shirt
BMXKings Hat
Mutiny has awesome soft goods
Empire BMX branded stuff is always weird and funny


The problem is clout, and over saturation.

1. You can't really say you're a BMX clothing company without making a part, or several parts, and proving your worth. Anyone can buy a t-shirt, but most people wear the t-shirt because the company makes a part or a bike that they believe in.

2. EVERYONE has a clothing company now. It's incredibly easy to get shirts printed with a logo on it.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

9/27/2018 8:12 AM

Capital Crew BMX is my brand that I have recently started working on. I am currently focused on BMX lifestyle clothing & accessories which are all available on the web store.

All proceeds go towards hosting BMX events (such as our annual Capital-Lou-Jam) as well as attending other's BMX events so that I can document them for our channel/site.

But to answer the question, there is actually an abundance of small rider-owned clothing companies, it's just seemingly impossible to get riders to support when there is also an abundance of big-name BMX brands that run the market.
People would rather stick with what they're familiar with than support something in the works, & not everyone is comfortable sitting on products for long enough to see them move.

TLDR; This industry sucks if you're a small guy. A lot of people dont find it worth the effort.

Also, another brand I recommend looking into is DXVDBRXVD ("Dead Bread"), they are a super cool rider owned clothing company & have been putting in work for a while now. Lots of good content on their Instagram.
|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


9/27/2018 8:19 AM

I think Tim and Capital Crew are a great example of creating worth and having the apparel back that up. You and Kayak (and Nate too!) make fun videos that shed light on a city that lets be honest, is all but forgotten on the big stage of BMX.

I own 2 bottles of the Cap Crew Wax and love it. That's another thing too, the creativity of the product helps give it worth.

I only have this viewpoint because I've worked for big apparel companies, I've run my own apparel company, and I've done all the work from design to production. It's not easy, and it's even harder when you have big companies with lots of purchasing power.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

9/27/2018 8:57 AM

Plenty of Little Devil going around. New hoodies and shit coming soon, too.

BASE Brooklyn still rocking out shit.

Wish Ronnie would put out some UGP shit again.

Also need to pick up that green Capital Crew shirt. I haven't forgot!

|

9/27/2018 9:03 AM

I guess there's not many that actually focus on more than getting a few t's printed. Lord used to make everything, jeans, shorts, trousers, socks, the lot. You could literally dress yourself for winter with just Lord clothing. Ugp did a lot too. But no one really spends that kind of money now. Bmxers generally look like pretty average folk, it's not like it used to be where you'd spot a bmxer from a mile away.

|

9/27/2018 9:03 AM

@TheDarkEnergist that defeats the porpoise ? of being a dedicated clothing company though. How would you sponsor a pro if they already ride for a parts company? The professional endorsement, along with original styles and designs beyond the basic tshirt is what sells it. Clothing in general, yeah, its oversaturated, but how many are actually good? Especially if you made bmx specific items like, for example, flexible jeans with extra material on the inseam. Or a stylish hoodie with a reflective details on the fromt and back for night riding etc. Shxt like that is distinctly lacking.

@HardBMX_Tim HA! Dude, I’m loving the MBMXRA hat! The wax is dope as hell, and the headtube sticker with the chicken made me ugly laugh irl ?? really cool stuff. I had started a hiphop lifestyle brand with a friend before we had a falling out n became pretty damn popular. “Sponsored” some big name local tastemakers, n ran every single little transaction through our website. Even if we gave something away, we would pay for it ourselves and run it through the site. This way, we were able to go to shops and say “look at our numbers. Weve only been out for such n such. Look who’s wearing our stuff”. I know first hand its not easy though. BMX sounds much harder because what shops would you even supply? People dont exactly go to bike shops for clothing. Its a tough cookie to crack and I commend you for it. Best wishes for your company. I’ll be buying some stuff soon. MAKE SOME HOODIES!!!

|

9/27/2018 9:13 AM

note: just because you make shirts doesn't mean you're a clothing brand. When I think clothing brands I'm thinking shirts, outerwear, socks, jeans, hats, etc

|

fack off

9/27/2018 9:25 AM

As someone who studies the Occult and thus Symbolism(All throughout History and Contemporary) there's some seriously Un-original people out there making a killing.

|

9/27/2018 9:26 AM

XxCAKEWOLFxX wrote:

@TheDarkEnergist that defeats the porpoise ? of being a dedicated clothing company though. How would you sponsor a pro if they already ride for a parts company? The professional endorsement, along with original styles and designs beyond the basic tshirt is what sells it. Clothing in general, yeah, its oversaturated, but how many are actually good? Especially if you made bmx specific items like, for example, flexible jeans with extra material on the inseam. Or a stylish hoodie with a reflective details on the fromt and back for night riding etc. Shxt like that is distinctly lacking.

@HardBMX_Tim HA! Dude, I’m loving the MBMXRA hat! The wax is dope as hell, and the headtube sticker with the chicken made me ugly laugh irl ?? really cool stuff. I had started a hiphop lifestyle brand with a friend before we had a falling out n became pretty damn popular. “Sponsored” some big name local tastemakers, n ran every single little transaction through our website. Even if we gave something away, we would pay for it ourselves and run it through the site. This way, we were able to go to shops and say “look at our numbers. Weve only been out for such n such. Look who’s wearing our stuff”. I know first hand its not easy though. BMX sounds much harder because what shops would you even supply? People dont exactly go to bike shops for clothing. Its a tough cookie to crack and I commend you for it. Best wishes for your company. I’ll be buying some stuff soon. MAKE SOME HOODIES!!!

Funny story about the chicken; her name is Nemo and we stole her to bring to Danscomp Jam a couple years back. We hot boxed her the whole way there & she became Instagram famous via danscomp/the pro riders that were there.
The shot of her in the sticker is actually cropped out of a selfie of her with her favorite pro BMXer Shane Weston.

no chickens were harmed in the making of this sticker.)
Some say she's still high to this day.

And thank you so much for the input!
Luckily my local shop started stocking up on my merchandise, however it hasn't really been a big hit due to the lack of BMX in the area (& the few BMX riders usually order from me directly.)
A few big name shops have told me that they could "slang the shit out of" my merch but have yet to buy anything.
It's definitely not easy, but I love it.

& I can totally relate to buying merchandise from myself to give away haha. Even the team still pays the price I pay to have things made. I'd like to eventually be able to "sponsor" my friends with free products & trips, but alas it's all in time.

I'd like to do a winter clothing line & already have some designs on the drawing board, but I've got quite a bit on my plate right now between wrist surgeries, bike jams, & some bigger plans I have in mind. Again, it will all come with time though!

Also, if you do decide to place an order- I will be donating 30% of my sales on Oct. 6th to Shady Jack's Saloon in their time of need. Never been a better time to support.?

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


9/27/2018 9:30 AM

dead goon wrote:

Plenty of Little Devil going around. New hoodies and shit coming soon, too.

BASE Brooklyn still rocking out shit.

Wish Ronnie would put out some UGP shit again.

Also need to pick up that green Capital Crew shirt. I haven't forgot!

Got u dawg☝️?

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


9/27/2018 9:34 AM

@TheDarkEnergist that defeats the porpoise ? of being a dedicated clothing company though. How would you sponsor a pro if they already ride for a parts company? The professional endorsement, along with original styles and designs beyond the basic tshirt is what sells it. Clothing in general, yeah, its oversaturated, but how many are actually good? Especially if you made bmx specific items like, for example, flexible jeans with extra material on the inseam. Or a stylish hoodie with a reflective details on the fromt and back for night riding etc. Shxt like that is distinctly lacking.

But that's where the problem lies and why there aren't more *JUST* clothing companies. I don't mean to shit on your parade, because I always love new ides, but there are reasons they don't exist.

If a rider is sponsored by a parts company and a clothing company, you're not going to see the name of the parts on the parts themselves, you're going to see the logo of the company the rider is sponsored by on their t-shirt. Conversely, that clothing company is going to want to fight for the advertising space and have THEIR shirt be worn in a video.

Corporate sponsors back riders as if they're billboards. When your red bull helmet isn't on, you need to have the red bull hat on. If you don't have the red bull hat or helmet handy, you need to be wearing a red bull shirt. Any clothing sponsor that just does T-shirts or pants or whatever can't hold a candle to Redbull's power.

Levi's has been making denim for like 100 years? They had BMX specific jeans. They had a BMX team. It wasn't profitable and it's gone now. I ride in Lee Extreme Motion jeans and they're absolutely perfect for BMX and they're $30.

Then you get into the fact that whatever distinguishing factors you have in your apparel setting you apart is directly proportional to production costs. Cut & sew garments are very difficult to do in large runs because of cost and labor intensity. Thats why you see certain items go for limited runs.

Long story short, if it were profitable for a company to only produce BMX related or minded clothing, someone would've jumped on it already.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

9/27/2018 10:18 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

I think Tim and Capital Crew are a great example of creating worth and having the apparel back that up. You and Kayak (and Nate too!) make fun videos that shed light on a city that lets be honest, is all but forgotten on the big stage of BMX.

I own 2 bottles of the Cap Crew Wax and love it. That's another thing too, the creativity of the product helps give it worth.

I only have this viewpoint because I've worked for big apparel companies, I've run my own apparel company, and I've done all the work from design to production. It's not easy, and it's even harder when you have big companies with lots of purchasing power.

I ❤ u

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


9/27/2018 10:56 AM

I just buy plain black shirts haha when they shrink up from being washed throw em away and buy more. They’re like 5 bucks

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

9/27/2018 3:27 PM

XxCAKEWOLFxX wrote:

Our brands put out some good stuff I would wear, but like what the hell happened to dedicated clothing companies?

I think a few would be really good for the sport as long as they actually sponsor riders and throw jams etc. All of our “competing” sports have them. Even Inline! And theyre MUCH smaller than us. With brands like: Themgoods, Vibralux, Bladergang, Shredweiser etc.

I like eastern merch but i don't think they make it anymore

|

9/27/2018 4:23 PM

Shadow conspiracy makes some dope clothing

|

9/27/2018 4:25 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Shadow conspiracy makes some dope clothing

But they spelt football wrong.

|

9/27/2018 4:33 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

You're obviously not on Instagram. It seems every scene has a clothing brand, there's hecking loads on there

Let's get you a Lid and get you on our page! Click my link to get the details


I lost count of how many of those fucks I've blocked/reported as spam. It's all over-saturated shit that you could go out and buy a white shirt and use a sharpie to make. Which is the other thing, most of these clothing brands are just generic bullshit that took no time to make just to try and make a quick buck. Idk about you guys but I like having actual designs and shit, not just a tiny generic text with the name of the brand printed somewhere on the shirt to mark it up to like $30 or something, even bigger bmx companies do that though

I photoshopped my cat onto my bike doing a tailwhip (it actually came out really good) and considered making a small run of t shirts but decided not to because I figured no one would buy them and I didn't wanna be yet another clothing brand or whatever. Plus searching #bmx on Instagram 18 hours each day asking everyone to buy my shit would get old after awhile lololol

|

9/27/2018 4:43 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Let's get you a Lid and get you on our page! Click my link to get the details


I lost count of how many of those fucks I've blocked/reported as spam. It's all over-saturated shit that you could go out and buy a white shirt and use a sharpie to make. Which is the other thing, most of these clothing brands are just generic bullshit that took no time to make just to try and make a quick buck. Idk about you guys but I like having actual designs and shit, not just a tiny generic text with the name of the brand printed somewhere on the shirt to mark it up to like $30 or something, even bigger bmx companies do that though

I photoshopped my cat onto my bike doing a tailwhip (it actually came out really good) and considered making a small run of t shirts but decided not to because I figured no one would buy them and I didn't wanna be yet another clothing brand or whatever. Plus searching #bmx on Instagram 18 hours each day asking everyone to buy my shit would get old after awhile lololol

That reminds me!

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

9/27/2018 5:33 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

You're obviously not on Instagram. It seems every scene has a clothing brand, there's hecking loads on there

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Let's get you a Lid and get you on our page! Click my link to get the details


I lost count of how many of those fucks I've blocked/reported as spam. It's all over-saturated shit that you could go out and buy a white shirt and use a sharpie to make. Which is the other thing, most of these clothing brands are just generic bullshit that took no time to make just to try and make a quick buck. Idk about you guys but I like having actual designs and shit, not just a tiny generic text with the name of the brand printed somewhere on the shirt to mark it up to like $30 or something, even bigger bmx companies do that though

I photoshopped my cat onto my bike doing a tailwhip (it actually came out really good) and considered making a small run of t shirts but decided not to because I figured no one would buy them and I didn't wanna be yet another clothing brand or whatever. Plus searching #bmx on Instagram 18 hours each day asking everyone to buy my shit would get old after awhile lololol

I'd buy that shirt in a heart beat.

|

9/27/2018 6:40 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Shadow conspiracy makes some dope clothing

jbales wrote:

But they spelt football wrong.

soccer is soccer deal with it

|

Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten

9/27/2018 8:01 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

You're obviously not on Instagram. It seems every scene has a clothing brand, there's hecking loads on there

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Let's get you a Lid and get you on our page! Click my link to get the details


I lost count of how many of those fucks I've blocked/reported as spam. It's all over-saturated shit that you could go out and buy a white shirt and use a sharpie to make. Which is the other thing, most of these clothing brands are just generic bullshit that took no time to make just to try and make a quick buck. Idk about you guys but I like having actual designs and shit, not just a tiny generic text with the name of the brand printed somewhere on the shirt to mark it up to like $30 or something, even bigger bmx companies do that though

I photoshopped my cat onto my bike doing a tailwhip (it actually came out really good) and considered making a small run of t shirts but decided not to because I figured no one would buy them and I didn't wanna be yet another clothing brand or whatever. Plus searching #bmx on Instagram 18 hours each day asking everyone to buy my shit would get old after awhile lololol

You need to get a hot girl, and a guy with tattoos to model that t shirt, then do some "share our page to be in with a chance of winning" free giveaways. And leave generic, usually irrelevant, positive comments on every single picture you see. "I really like you page, your content is awesome! Keep it up! Check out my page!"
I'm yet to do a serious "share our page, win some stuff post" for theGrey, it would probably really help, but it just seems too false to me. I might do a "share our page if you feel like it" thing soon though. I'd rather have people share it because they're stoked on it, and want to support it. Not so they can get free stuff just for the sake of it.
There's a few out there that sponsor pretty much anyone too, which just seems odd to me. One of them contacted me, and they give you some t shirts in exchange for you posting loads of pics and tagging them in stuff. It's just a shitty popularity contest.
Being Instagram famous is like being monopoly rich.

|

9/27/2018 10:13 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

You need to get a hot girl, and a guy with tattoos to model that t shirt, then do some "share our page to be in with a chance of winning" free giveaways. And leave generic, usually irrelevant, positive comments on every single picture you see. "I really like you page, your content is awesome! Keep it up! Check out my page!"
I'm yet to do a serious "share our page, win some stuff post" for theGrey, it would probably really help, but it just seems too false to me. I might do a "share our page if you feel like it" thing soon though. I'd rather have people share it because they're stoked on it, and want to support it. Not so they can get free stuff just for the sake of it.
There's a few out there that sponsor pretty much anyone too, which just seems odd to me. One of them contacted me, and they give you some t shirts in exchange for you posting loads of pics and tagging them in stuff. It's just a shitty popularity contest.
Being Instagram famous is like being monopoly rich.

For real!!! Instagram is the easiest social media to crack (unless youre good at being an asshole, then being mean on Twitter is super easy too). Literally repost your entire life away daily during during peak hours for your demographic and make like 2 original posts a week. Gain more than 200 followers a day like that, guaranteed. No need for hashtags or anything. I used to grow pages like that and sell them. All organic and active.

|

9/27/2018 10:33 PM

Let's not forget the worst of them all.. "B-First Apparel"

These annoying mfs literally have 1,000 Instagram accounts that use to promote their "brand". Every account has the same stock photos & they all search hashtags all day long and blatantly promote in people's comments.

I've made a point to block every account that comments on my stuff, yet I still get a comment or two from them daily. They just wont go awayyy.?

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


9/27/2018 10:49 PM

U know what? I got inspired. I think I’m gonna do it. Been wanting to do another clothing company, this time fully under my control for a while now. “Be the change you want to see in the world” n all that. Probably take me like a year to draw up a solid collection, test out cuts, and save up to actually create it all tho. Fashion forward streetwear with practical/functional cuts and a distinctly bmxy look and feel to them. Make some limited runs to drain the pockets of hypebeasts. Before initial release, maybe sell some test pieces on here at cost to get some feedback if u gais like em. Too long has our image piggybacked on skateboarding. We have our own culture. Plus, I’m sick of dreaming of pieces nobody else makes.

|

9/27/2018 11:21 PM

Logan garments talent scout accounts are so annoying

|

9/28/2018 12:17 AM

XxCAKEWOLFxX wrote:

U know what? I got inspired. I think I’m gonna do it. Been wanting to do another clothing company, this time fully under my control for a while now. “Be the change you want to see in the world” n all that. Probably take me like a year to draw up a solid collection, test out cuts, and save up to actually create it all tho. Fashion forward streetwear with practical/functional cuts and a distinctly bmxy look and feel to them. Make some limited runs to drain the pockets of hypebeasts. Before initial release, maybe sell some test pieces on here at cost to get some feedback if u gais like em. Too long has our image piggybacked on skateboarding. We have our own culture. Plus, I’m sick of dreaming of pieces nobody else makes.

Do it!

I've still got less than 500 followers ?
But I'd rather only post good relevant content. And I don't like following just to get more followers.

I'm the worst businessman ever.....

|

9/28/2018 12:45 AM

Peepgame , FTL , Capital , any core BMX brands and related like Devil and whatnot .

Anything else is a no from me

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

9/28/2018 1:12 AM

eskimojay wrote:

Shadow conspiracy makes some dope clothing

jbales wrote:

But they spelt football wrong.

RonnieRawdawg wrote:

soccer is soccer deal with it

Fuck off, sarcasm immune cunt.

|