BMX is missing clothing companies

Related:
Create New Tag

9/28/2018 5:19 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/28/2018 5:20 AM

Almost every computer has a shirt or more. It is far from missing clothes. Look at a Danscomp catalogue or online and you can dress in full BMX clothing for a few weeks and never have to wash anything. Then you have companies like Vans, Fox and others that are not full BMX, yet supporters of it. I currently own 5 Vans or Fox pairs of pants and shorts and 3-4 shirts. Not counting the T’s from companies I ride the products. I can personally probably wear full BMX related clothing for a week and change with no laundry needed.

Don’t forget off brand stuff like “Put the Fun Between Your Legs” or “Never to Old to Ride” type stuff you find all over the place

The problem is when companies start doing what OSS has, selling to big outlets like Pacsun. Then you start having people who don’t have a clue what it is supposed to be about...they just like the look. That’s why I really like Cry and companies like that. While Harry I am sure sells to some retail sales stores. The roots are BMX, and I support that. Plus, the stuff is good quality and about average price wise. True riders wear what they like and from companies they support. You are not going to see Chad Kerly wearing Sunday shirts but Vans, Fox, Haro, Premium an similar stuff you will.

|

9/28/2018 6:29 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Let's get you a Lid and get you on our page! Click my link to get the details

I lost count of how many of those fucks I've blocked/reported as spam. It's all over-saturated shit that you could go out and buy a white shirt and use a sharpie to make. Which is the other thing, most of these clothing brands are just generic bullshit that took no time to make just to try and make a quick buck. Idk about you guys but I like having actual designs and shit, not just a tiny generic text with the name of the brand printed somewhere on the shirt to mark it up to like $30 or something, even bigger bmx companies do that though

I photoshopped my cat onto my bike doing a tailwhip (it actually came out really good) and considered making a small run of t shirts but decided not to because I figured no one would buy them and I didn't wanna be yet another clothing brand or whatever. Plus searching #bmx on Instagram 18 hours each day asking everyone to buy my shit would get old after awhile lololol

I would have bought the shirt, that sounds awesome

|

9/28/2018 6:54 AM

XxCAKEWOLFxX wrote:

U know what? I got inspired. I think I’m gonna do it. Been wanting to do another clothing company, this time fully under my control for a while now. “Be the change you want to see in the world” n all that. Probably take me like a year to draw up a solid collection, test out cuts, and save up to actually create it all tho. Fashion forward streetwear with practical/functional cuts and a distinctly bmxy look and feel to them. Make some limited runs to drain the pockets of hypebeasts. Before initial release, maybe sell some test pieces on here at cost to get some feedback if u gais like em. Too long has our image piggybacked on skateboarding. We have our own culture. Plus, I’m sick of dreaming of pieces nobody else makes.

Good for you, and good luck. I honestly didn't mean to make it sound like you shouldn't follow your dream.

I'm just a harsh realist about shit. I live and work in a very cut throat place and have known for many years that the moment you have a good idea and decide to go through with it, you need to be aware of and prepared to counter every reason someone would say no to you.

I was always inspired by the artists Christo and Jean-Claude. They are a French couple who do public/environmental art installations around the world. In the 70's they tried to get their installation "The Gates" installed in Central Park. They tried for TWENTY SIX years, every year to get approval from NYC to install them.

They were denied every time.

Finally, they went to Mayor Bloomberg and he realized he could use their installation not only as a badge to prove NYC is friendly to the arts, but as a tourist attraction. He was right. They were right. It was a huge success that netted the city an additional $350 million in tourism revenue in 2 months. When they interviewed Jean Claude he basically said "They ran out of things to say no to, because we had an answer for everything"

Similar to Henry Fords theory of "If I don't know the answer, I'll hire the smartest guy who does."

So, go for it. You seem to have a real passion and that's the first thing you need. I'm always down to give advice, and hell I'd be down to contribute designs/graphics for stuff.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

9/28/2018 7:43 AM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Peepgame , FTL , Capital , any core BMX brands and related like Devil and whatnot .

Anything else is a no from me

I luv u

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

9/28/2018 6:51 PM

XxCAKEWOLFxX wrote:

@TheDarkEnergist that defeats the porpoise ? of being a dedicated clothing company though. How would you sponsor a pro if they already ride for a parts company? The professional endorsement, along with original styles and designs beyond the basic tshirt is what sells it. Clothing in general, yeah, its oversaturated, but how many are actually good? Especially if you made bmx specific items like, for example, flexible jeans with extra material on the inseam. Or a stylish hoodie with a reflective details on the fromt and back for night riding etc. Shxt like that is distinctly lacking.

@HardBMX_Tim HA! Dude, I’m loving the MBMXRA hat! The wax is dope as hell, and the headtube sticker with the chicken made me ugly laugh irl ?? really cool stuff. I had started a hiphop lifestyle brand with a friend before we had a falling out n became pretty damn popular. “Sponsored” some big name local tastemakers, n ran every single little transaction through our website. Even if we gave something away, we would pay for it ourselves and run it through the site. This way, we were able to go to shops and say “look at our numbers. Weve only been out for such n such. Look who’s wearing our stuff”. I know first hand its not easy though. BMX sounds much harder because what shops would you even supply? People dont exactly go to bike shops for clothing. Its a tough cookie to crack and I commend you for it. Best wishes for your company. I’ll be buying some stuff soon. MAKE SOME HOODIES!!!

Came to this thread to say just that... bmx specific stuff is lacking; look at the MTB industry and all the options. BMX doesn't need as many options (you don't ride bmx in the variable conditions you ride MTcool, and there's not near as large of a market for it, but it's certainly needed. I would love to see some more companies doing that (LVRBL is close, Lotek kinda...) Thing is, BMXers have to buy it and get behind it. Pay a little more for riding specific clothing, not just tshirts with a brand on them.

|

9/28/2018 7:29 PM

Lotek is still alive ? That’s news to me

|

9/28/2018 8:27 PM

eskimojay wrote:

theyre dead, check their website

i was trying to buy these in a 14. non existent Photo

|

Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten

9/28/2018 8:39 PM

I had white Edwin loteks with the weed stash pouch under the tounge they where great , not as good as orchids but good

|

9/28/2018 10:26 PM

One piece of advice, or more of a warning really! Everyone will tell you what to do and think they know more than you. You'll get loads of "you should do this...." comments on everything you ever do. But, just do your own thing, and the people that like it will support it. I've had people offering me money for a stem already, and the 3d image isn't even complete. I doubt I'll sell all of them, but that kind of loyalty is such an overwhelming feeling!
I'm sure you know more than I do about clothing, but I'd suggest keeping batch numbers low, and selling at a price so they'll pay for themselves if you only sell half of them.
And make some good straight leg jeans! smile
I'm still at a loss with the t shirts and stuff I had, but it's all good promotion

|

9/28/2018 11:42 PM

@TheDarkEnergist Thanks dude! Means a lot! N yeah, I know the deal. Thankfully, ive still got good connections from my previous brand, and they all know my partner was the one dragging us down. I know I can et the pieces sold in the streetwear world, the real hurdle is being able to hit the BMX market. N yeah lol. Been making my own clothes since middle school on my grandmas sewing machine.

@GrumpySteve For sure, bro! My partner with my old brand was wayyy too influenced by other companies and wanted to be like them. I hated it! Like.... let them do that. We would butt heads constantly over the vision. Like if ur ideas are so good, why did u need me? Ha! Yesss I’m going to be making full collections. I have a great idea for pants to solve an issue not many people realize comes from the cut of their jeans I wasnt able to use before in my hiphop oriented brand. Also, as a hoodie connoiseur, I have a really dope idea I think people on the forum will be stoked about. Gonna try to register the company and copyright the name n hopefully get a logo before November. Fingers crossed my ex can can squeeze me in by then. Thanks!

|

9/30/2018 9:57 AM

Probably going to order some them clothing next , Issac Barnes is the man

|

9/30/2018 11:13 AM

eskimojay wrote:

RonnieRawdawg wrote:

Yeah, it seems like they officially called it quits not too long ago, because they were posting about new products last September, then radio silence. I decided to include them even though they're no longer with us... ha.

One of the issues is that there are plenty of shoe companies and clothing companies from other sports who make products that work perfectly well for BMX, but when a company is a "BMX focused" company (like Lotek), the product improvements are minimal, if any, compared to their larger competitors who can sell the same pair of shoes or jeans to 6 different sports, while the BMX company is trying to sell a very similar product but only focusing on BMXers. Kinda hard, especially considering BMX riders aren't typically the type to go buy tons of "specific" clothing (unlike golfers or road bikers, etc)

|

9/30/2018 11:41 AM

eskimojay wrote:

RonnieRawdawg wrote:

cyborg wrote:

Yeah, it seems like they officially called it quits not too long ago, because they were posting about new products last September, then radio silence. I decided to include them even though they're no longer with us... ha.

One of the issues is that there are plenty of shoe companies and clothing companies from other sports who make products that work perfectly well for BMX, but when a company is a "BMX focused" company (like Lotek), the product improvements are minimal, if any, compared to their larger competitors who can sell the same pair of shoes or jeans to 6 different sports, while the BMX company is trying to sell a very similar product but only focusing on BMXers. Kinda hard, especially considering BMX riders aren't typically the type to go buy tons of "specific" clothing (unlike golfers or road bikers, etc)

I agree on the shoe part, tho it is a shame theyre gone. We bith just want grippy flat soled shoes that dont rip and have decent support. Skate shoes need to stand up to more abuse so its logical we share shoes.

Clothing tho? Idk we move differently, wear at different points, and use pads more often. And another point, ableit from a fashion perspective, is why do we copy their clothing style? We have way different histories. Hard to explain, but i guess when I release my first drafts in a few months, you’ll see what I mean by a “bmx look” while still keeping it street and relevant to todays fashion.

|

9/30/2018 11:49 AM

XxCAKEWOLFxX wrote:

I agree on the shoe part, tho it is a shame theyre gone. We bith just want grippy flat soled shoes that dont rip and have decent support. Skate shoes need to stand up to more abuse so its logical we share shoes.

Clothing tho? Idk we move differently, wear at different points, and use pads more often. And another point, ableit from a fashion perspective, is why do we copy their clothing style? We have way different histories. Hard to explain, but i guess when I release my first drafts in a few months, you’ll see what I mean by a “bmx look” while still keeping it street and relevant to todays fashion.

We all hang out at the same places (skateparks, street spots, etc.) & partake in the same activities & hype eachother up all the same. Imo it's only logical to "copy" the style..

Like Baseball fans & Football fans. Sure, two totally different sports, but they all dress in the same clothes with different logos (a Jersey, a new-era snapback, etc.)

Also I dont know that I'd consider it a "skater style." It's just street wear, which attracts all the new-age extreme-sporters & their street mentality. It's really more to do with it being a fad in the upcoming generation more so than bmxers stealing skaters' looks imo.

"Great minds dress alike"

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

9/30/2018 11:52 AM

eskimojay wrote:

RonnieRawdawg wrote:

cyborg wrote:

No one makes good riding shoes now. Fade look good, and I'd like to try some scg's. But non of the etnies are as good as they used to be. Skateboard trainers in general aren't that good for riding now. It's more about board feel than durability to skaters. I had the etnies marana x Michelin, which were supposed to be badass. They lasted 2 months.....
It doesn't help that all the shoe companies that do/uses to be involved with bmx are all moving away from it. Vans have some invite only comps, etnies are dropping riders.
Scg and fade should be flourishing, but I guess the cost of pushing them, advertising, distro's, and manufacturing quantities is too much for such small brands.

I think I said it earlier though, bmx is more mainstream than it's ever been. It's not punk kids finding somewhere they belong with their own culture anymore. Most riders wear Adidas and Nike more than bmx brands. It sucks.

|

9/30/2018 12:15 PM

cyborg wrote:

XxCAKEWOLFxX wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

We all hang out at the same places (skateparks, street spots, etc.) & partake in the same activities & hype eachother up all the same. Imo it's only logical to "copy" the style..

Like Baseball fans & Football fans. Sure, two totally different sports, but they all dress in the same clothes with different logos (a Jersey, a new-era snapback, etc.)

Also I dont know that I'd consider it a "skater style." It's just street wear, which attracts all the new-age extreme-sporters & their street mentality. It's really more to do with it being a fad in the upcoming generation more so than bmxers stealing skaters' looks imo.

I see your point. Licensed merch is rather limited though.

I see it more as skate style influenced street style. Used to musically influenced, but now music copies it too. Not trying to do a completely diff style. Certain things just work well for what we do. More like adding our cultures spin on things while enhancing functionality for our specific porpoises ?. On sight, you can usually spot a scooter or inline rider, but not really differentiate a bmx or skateboarder. Its all subtleties tho

|

9/30/2018 12:16 PM

cyborg wrote:

XxCAKEWOLFxX wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I agree with both of you - on one hand, yeah, some bmx jeans that accommodate pads and are slim enough by the ankles to not catch your chain/sprocket? Badass. However, I think the style doesn't matter so much, and it's definitely logical that skaters and bmxers rock a lot of the same "style".

I'm all about function over form, and I'd like to see a bit more "function" regardless of the style. That being said, I totally understand there may be no profitable market fo that in BMX... there aren't enough of us who ride enough or are into it for long enough (i.e. many years) to really create a recreational clothing line that would remain prominent and have a solid customer base... couple that with the fact that jeans work ok (whereas for Moto or MTB, they don't), and it might just be too tough of a market

|

9/30/2018 12:20 PM

RonnieRawdawg wrote:

cyborg wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

No one makes good riding shoes now. Fade look good, and I'd like to try some scg's. But non of the etnies are as good as they used to be. Skateboard trainers in general aren't that good for riding now. It's more about board feel than durability to skaters. I had the etnies marana x Michelin, which were supposed to be badass. They lasted 2 months.....
It doesn't help that all the shoe companies that do/uses to be involved with bmx are all moving away from it. Vans have some invite only comps, etnies are dropping riders.
Scg and fade should be flourishing, but I guess the cost of pushing them, advertising, distro's, and manufacturing quantities is too much for such small brands.

I think I said it earlier though, bmx is more mainstream than it's ever been. It's not punk kids finding somewhere they belong with their own culture anymore. Most riders wear Adidas and Nike more than bmx brands. It sucks.

Ever tried some MTB shoes? I often "downcycle" my mtb flat shoes and use them on the bmx... they're worn enough to be more flexible and less grippy than brand new, often work pretty well. 5.10s with plastic pedals feel great. I've never personally tried 5.10s line of "less aggressive" street-ish shoes, but they're aimed at dirt jumper types, who are basically big wheeled BMXers as far as how they are riding.

Bummer to hear about the Maranas. I am still using a pair of Loteks, but I bought a pair of the Michelin Maranas to wear until they get broken in/dirty enough to relegate to BMX shoes.

One issue with BMX shoes is pedal feel... I can put you on some burly ass mtb shoes that can be resoled, but you (probably) won't like how "boot-like" they feel.

|

9/30/2018 12:23 PM

RonnieRawdawg wrote:

cyborg wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

Vans have some invite only comps? Have you seen the vans pro cup ? It’s open with qualifiers , get in and work your way up

|

9/30/2018 12:29 PM

XxCAKEWOLFxX wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

cyborg wrote:

I agree with both of you - on one hand, yeah, some bmx jeans that accommodate pads and are slim enough by the ankles to not catch your chain/sprocket? Badass. However, I think the style doesn't matter so much, and it's definitely logical that skaters and bmxers rock a lot of the same "style".

I'm all about function over form, and I'd like to see a bit more "function" regardless of the style. That being said, I totally understand there may be no profitable market fo that in BMX... there aren't enough of us who ride enough or are into it for long enough (i.e. many years) to really create a recreational clothing line that would remain prominent and have a solid customer base... couple that with the fact that jeans work ok (whereas for Moto or MTB, they don't), and it might just be too tough of a market

Valid points. Thats why I plan on marketing the fashion aspects to the streetwear crowd, and the functionality to the bmx crowd. The latter is a much smaller market, but the former should be able to pick up the slack.

To your other point about shoes. I feel u hardcore. I wish I had the connections and know-how to make shoes. Something thin with like a kevlar layer for feel and strength, a grippy outsole, supportive heelcup, laces facing outwards, form fitting, pig-suede for durability, and non newtonian insoles for impact. Amazing. But who would buy them when vans do the job well for $40?

|

9/30/2018 12:38 PM

cyborg wrote:

Ever tried joggers?
I feel like people think they're "gay" or whatever, but I've been wearing them 100% of the time because my hand is too weak to button up a set of tight jeans.
They're basically sweat pants made from khaki/denim. Draw string in the waist to hold em up & elastic ankles to keep the bottoms tight on your legs.
Plenty of room for pads & lots of range of motion, all while looking like a pair of khakis/jeans.

Tbh I cant believe I've never rode in them before ruining my hand. They're legitimately the ultimate BMX pants in my books. But I also get some weird looks & "dude are you wearing joggers?" so I'm not sure where they stand in the world of fashion..

|

9/30/2018 12:58 PM

I wish clothes and shoes would go back to the old fashion of fat technical skate shoes and baggy jeans. Back when dudes could dress like dudes. The amount of pros who still dress like they’re modern 16 year olds is cringey. As a broader dude I can’t fit into those tight ass skinny jeans and shirts with the small ass arms lol. I don’t care what other people ride or wear but damn I can’t find any clothes or shoes. Bmx and skateboarding used to have a very distinct style but now sadly many of it has gone the way of the swagfag and trying to keep up

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

9/30/2018 1:41 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

cyborg wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Ever tried joggers?
I feel like people think they're "gay" or whatever, but I've been wearing them 100% of the time because my hand is too weak to button up a set of tight jeans.
They're basically sweat pants made from khaki/denim. Draw string in the waist to hold em up & elastic ankles to keep the bottoms tight on your legs.
Plenty of room for pads & lots of range of motion, all while looking like a pair of khakis/jeans.

Tbh I cant believe I've never rode in them before ruining my hand. They're legitimately the ultimate BMX pants in my books. But I also get some weird looks & "dude are you wearing joggers?" so I'm not sure where they stand in the world of fashion..

Seriously? Idk maybe Miami is diff, but those are extremely popular and “cool” here. Like people actually wear them for a night out n they compliment eachothers joggers n shiz

|

9/30/2018 1:58 PM

RonnieRawdawg wrote:

cyborg wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

Etnies are dropping riders? I feel like Etnies is getting more involved and Nike is going downhill. Etnies seems to be recruiting new riders fairly often. Also some bmx clothing companies are peepgame, ftl, the trip, further, doomed, etc.

|

9/30/2018 2:01 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Ever tried joggers?

I wear those joggers in the coolee months lol, all the fuck boys wear them, but they work for riding very well so i will continue to ride in them lol

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

10/1/2018 12:04 AM

90East and ALYK always offer nice clothing.

|

IG: @_almost_crook

10/1/2018 12:41 AM

cyborg wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

jiminyu wrote:

Etnies are dropping riders? I feel like Etnies is getting more involved and Nike is going downhill. Etnies seems to be recruiting new riders fairly often. Also some bmx clothing companies are peepgame, ftl, the trip, further, doomed, etc.

But do they make riding specific clothing? Like decent jeans etc? Anyone can get some t's printed and some patches made and call it a clothing company.

|

10/1/2018 6:47 AM

I don't really buy too much big brand clothing, but there are speciifc BMX based brands out there. It's hard to make something nice to wear, without being obvious.

Like, think of skatebrands, a lot of them don't just show a person skating, it's logos and graphics of companies they like.

However, I think the stuff you're looking for, crews fill that role really well.

90East puts out clean, high quality shirts that don't just say "heh i ride bmx"

ALYK is another crew that puts out a lot of nice shirts that match neighborhood-ish themes

Horigumi and Celladoors have some nice shirts as well

Thank You does a lot of cut and sew unique stuff that would be wearable outside of a bmx scene.

Peep Game does some cool stuff too.

|

Come back with a warrant.

10/1/2018 7:10 AM

I have to say, Peep Game, FTL, and Ethik is all fucking awful, AWFUL clothing. Poorly designed, poorly executed and just stupid looking.

I don't know why baggy, ill fitting contrasting colors and neons is back. That shit wasn't even cool in the 90's

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

10/1/2018 8:35 AM

Etnies just added Brandon semenuk and gave him a signature shoe , I want to check out a pair of those forsure

|