BMX on frozen lakes

Related:
Create New Tag

12/6/2017 8:47 AM

I am planning to ride a few frozen lakes this winter.

Most of them are just flat ice and not covered by snow.

I reckon that any kind of tire will be slippery as fuck but I am considering about getting a pair of Maxxis creepy crawlers to swap with my donnasqueak.
Would it even matter?
If yes, would a narrower (2") one provide more traction (as there is more pressure on the surface contact) or the wider 2.5" having more contact area, grip the ice better?

Also, would there be a danger of ice cracking if I hop on the ice?
I mean in obvious areas where people can stand on the ice with no issues

Anyone that did this who wants to share the experience? Is it fun?





|

12/6/2017 9:32 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/6/2017 9:44 AM

you could get a knobby tire like a Tioga comp 3 or the Creepy Crawler, and then go to the hardware store and get small sheet metal screws and screw them into the knobs to create studded tires. You have to get really short ones so that they don't poke into the tube. You will also want to run less air in the tires so that more of the tire surface is touching. You will need the studs though to stay up on the ice. Even the "tacky" feature will not keep you up on that surface alone

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-12-1-1-2-in-External-Hex-Flange-Hex-Head-Sheet-Metal-Screws-50-Pack-30452/202249753

something like this, but the 1/2 inch might even be too long given the knob depth on the tire. The Creepy Crawlys' look like they have thicker knobs, so this might work...

alot of guys do the "home made" studding thing in the mountain biking world when we ride in the winter on snow and ice covered trails. They also sell pre studded tires, but I don't think they make pre-studded BMX tires. I have never tried to ride on straight ice like that though...definitely skated on it, but I can imagine you will spend most of your time on the ice and not on your bike. If the ice is chopped up, it will be much easier, but glassy ice? Pretty tricky

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

12/6/2017 10:10 AM

You'll slip out unless you've got studded tires.

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

12/6/2017 10:12 AM

sXeBMXer wrote:

you could get a knobby tire like a Tioga comp 3 or the Creepy Crawler, and then go to the hardware store and get small sheet metal screws and screw them into the knobs to create studded tires. You have to get really short ones so that they don't poke into the tube. You will also want to run less air in the tires so that more of the tire surface is touching. You will need the studs though to stay up on the ice. Even the "tacky" feature will not keep you up on that surface alone

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-12-1-1-2-in-External-Hex-Flange-Hex-Head-Sheet-Metal-Screws-50-Pack-30452/202249753

something like this, but the 1/2 inch might even be too long given the knob depth on the tire. The Creepy Crawlys' look like they have thicker knobs, so this might work...

alot of guys do the "home made" studding thing in the mountain biking world when we ride in the winter on snow and ice covered trails. They also sell pre studded tires, but I don't think they make pre-studded BMX tires. I have never tried to ride on straight ice like that though...definitely skated on it, but I can imagine you will spend most of your time on the ice and not on your bike. If the ice is chopped up, it will be much easier, but glassy ice? Pretty tricky

Was thinking the same thing except what about screwing through from the inside? Then use an old tube as a "rim strip" of sorts between the actual tube and the screw heads? That way the screws would just protrude through the knobs & the screw heads (rounded) would be inside?

|

12/6/2017 10:41 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/6/2017 10:43 AM

Wider tires will give you more grip (see fatbikes) BUT they aren't typically used for hopping around etc.

I would stay off the lakes for slippage reasons. You hop, land and wheels slip out = you going really fast to your face on the ice. Then you (maybe) wake up before you get hypothermia.

The likelyhood of going through is slimmer in the dead of winter, but personally I stay off frozen lakes etc for the most part as I don't really feel like becoming a statistic..

Why not just go to a parking ramp or empty parking lot?

|

I am sick and tired of the "cliques" that this sport has recently developed. We should embrace the fact that we all ride a little kids bike, and not worry about the small details. When you take riding in its most basic form, we are all the same.

12/6/2017 3:26 PM

Seems kinda stupid man but I really wanna see some studded tiogas

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

12/6/2017 7:55 PM

i do it all the time with my race quad but ive never tried my bmx.cool idea thi

|

12/6/2017 9:30 PM

I wouldn't ride a frozen lake period. Common sense. I shouldn't have to mention why. I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this, are you not worried about falling in ?

|

12/7/2017 1:51 AM

This will not end well.

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

12/7/2017 3:53 AM

Eeejit.

|

12/7/2017 4:59 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Was thinking the same thing except what about screwing through from the inside? Then use an old tube as a "rim strip" of sorts between the actual tube and the screw heads? That way the screws would just protrude through the knobs & the screw heads (rounded) would be inside?

This wouldn't work b/c you need the surface area of the top of the screw to dig in. The little point of the screw would not be enough...plus IO think the big heads of the screws on the inside of the tire would do too much damage.

... and as most have mentioned, unless you know that the lake is going to have ice thicker than a foot, or meter, it is pretty risky. On my MTB, I never ride on frozen water bodies...just on trails that are snowed or frozen over...that way I am not falling through any thing...just falling down. Also, we never ride as fast on trails like this as dry trails because of the resistance of the snow and mud...

i have a good friend who used to do the crazy ice racing on motorcycles....I never knew how they practice that or keep up at those speeds

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

12/7/2017 6:34 AM

I sense a Darwin award coming your way...

|

My Sunday Soundwave Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork" - grumpySteve

12/7/2017 6:57 AM

Cellmember wrote:

I wouldn't ride a frozen lake period. Common sense. I shouldn't have to mention why. I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this, are you not worried about falling in ?

Well, up here in Wisconsin, not only do people venture out onto frozen bodies of water, they drive full-size trucks and cars onto the lakes to their ice fishing shanty's. Yeah it's nuts &, inevitably, someone goes thru the ice & loses their vehicle. We hear about it all the time. Most time, however, it is because they went out too early or too late in the season & the ice wasn't thick enough. A bicycle with it's rider is nothing for that ice to support. Actually riding on it, is another story. Honestly, I don't understand why you'd want to. It isn't like the ice naturally forms really cool, rideable formations. When I was a kid, we'd ride on our local outdoor ice skating rink. It was treacherous! We'd get speed & powerslide as far as we could for distance but inevitably, you;d end up backwards of how you would slide & you'd end up on your ass. Not something I'd do today but hey, whatever.

|

12/7/2017 2:13 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Well, up here in Wisconsin, not only do people venture out onto frozen bodies of water, they drive full-size trucks and cars onto the lakes to their ice fishing shanty's. Yeah it's nuts &, inevitably, someone goes thru the ice & loses their vehicle. We hear about it all the time. Most time, however, it is because they went out too early or too late in the season & the ice wasn't thick enough. A bicycle with it's rider is nothing for that ice to support. Actually riding on it, is another story. Honestly, I don't understand why you'd want to. It isn't like the ice naturally forms really cool, rideable formations. When I was a kid, we'd ride on our local outdoor ice skating rink. It was treacherous! We'd get speed & powerslide as far as we could for distance but inevitably, you;d end up backwards of how you would slide & you'd end up on your ass. Not something I'd do today but hey, whatever.

LOl i seen dat shit on TV, ice road truckers it’s called

|

69

12/7/2017 4:34 PM

Thanks guys for the input!

So, studs are a must.
I will get the creepy crawlers and rig them up using this tutorial:

Regarding the concerns about dying, the lakes I'll be visiting are all in the mountain areas, at around negative 20°C (-4°F) and the ice thickness is about 40 cm - 15"
That's why I was asking if there could be any issues in obvious areas where people can stand on the ice - now I know that won't be the case.

|

12/7/2017 4:36 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Well, up here in Wisconsin, not only do people venture out onto frozen bodies of water, they drive full-size trucks and cars onto the lakes to their ice fishing shanty's. Yeah it's nuts &, inevitably, someone goes thru the ice & loses their vehicle. We hear about it all the time. Most time, however, it is because they went out too early or too late in the season & the ice wasn't thick enough. A bicycle with it's rider is nothing for that ice to support. Actually riding on it, is another story. Honestly, I don't understand why you'd want to. It isn't like the ice naturally forms really cool, rideable formations. When I was a kid, we'd ride on our local outdoor ice skating rink. It was treacherous! We'd get speed & powerslide as far as we could for distance but inevitably, you;d end up backwards of how you would slide & you'd end up on your ass. Not something I'd do today but hey, whatever.

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid, that it won't be much fun, and wanted to know if anybody tried it and how it was

|

12/7/2017 5:01 PM

dude,ive drilled throo the ice in tons of different places and its all 6inplus.weve been having minus 20 degrees celcius days so ya...

|

12/7/2017 7:44 PM

sXeBMXer wrote:

you could get a knobby tire like a Tioga comp 3 or the Creepy Crawler, and then go to the hardware store and get small sheet metal screws and screw them into the knobs to create studded tires. You have to get really short ones so that they don't poke into the tube. You will also want to run less air in the tires so that more of the tire surface is touching. You will need the studs though to stay up on the ice. Even the "tacky" feature will not keep you up on that surface alone

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-12-1-1-2-in-External-Hex-Flange-Hex-Head-Sheet-Metal-Screws-50-Pack-30452/202249753

something like this, but the 1/2 inch might even be too long given the knob depth on the tire. The Creepy Crawlys' look like they have thicker knobs, so this might work...

alot of guys do the "home made" studding thing in the mountain biking world when we ride in the winter on snow and ice covered trails. They also sell pre studded tires, but I don't think they make pre-studded BMX tires. I have never tried to ride on straight ice like that though...definitely skated on it, but I can imagine you will spend most of your time on the ice and not on your bike. If the ice is chopped up, it will be much easier, but glassy ice? Pretty tricky

The screws in knobbys idea is good, but the screws are wrong and so is the method of installation.
first the screws https://www.homedepot.com/p/Teks-8-x-1-2-in-Phillips-Zinc-Plated-Steel-Truss-Head-Drill-Point-Lath-Screws-260-Pack-21520/100164313
Notice how wide the head is? screw them from the inside to the outside, then tape over the heads on the inside with Gorilla tape http://www.gorillatough.com/gorilla-black-duct-tape

|

12/7/2017 8:35 PM

Bad idea jeans

|

12/7/2017 8:37 PM

You're aware right, that ice comes in different thicknesses? You need to measure the thickness of the ice. It should be at least 6" thick to be safe.

|

12/8/2017 5:41 AM

you should totally ride on a frozen lake, alone. that way when your dumb ass falls through no one will be bothered

|

fack off

12/8/2017 8:03 AM

hahahahaha

|

12/8/2017 8:23 AM

like Mishin mentioned...you really won't do anything super productive, but just tooling around on the big, frozen clear surface is cool. We spent 99% of our time on our ass back in the day. It got old real quick, and we used to then go to the local supermarket parking lot where the plows would have made these 15' stacks of snow. You could create jumps and things out of these, and ride on pavement up to them. It was more fun. And softer to land on.

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

12/11/2017 11:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/11/2017 11:50 PM

am-shaegar wrote:

I am planning to ride a few frozen lakes this winter.

Most of them are just flat ice and not covered by snow.

I reckon that any kind of tire will be slippery as fuck but I am considering about getting a pair of Maxxis creepy crawlers to swap with my donnasqueak.
Would it even matter?
If yes, would a narrower (2") one provide more traction (as there is more pressure on the surface contact) or the wider 2.5" having more contact area, grip the ice better?

Also, would there be a danger of ice cracking if I hop on the ice?
I mean in obvious areas where people can stand on the ice with no issues

Anyone that did this who wants to share the experience? Is it fun?





Deleted comment

|

12/13/2017 12:53 PM

I guess no one has mentioned it...

WHAT ABOUT FORK AND FRAME CLEARANCE??

Studs tend to stick out of tires a bit...homemade usually further. SO make sure you have clearance in your fork and frame with FULLY inflated tires WITH THE STUDS.

Or just don't do it? Seems like a simple thing to get hurt on.

|

I am sick and tired of the "cliques" that this sport has recently developed. We should embrace the fact that we all ride a little kids bike, and not worry about the small details. When you take riding in its most basic form, we are all the same.

12/13/2017 12:59 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

I guess no one has mentioned it...

WHAT ABOUT FORK AND FRAME CLEARANCE??

Studs tend to stick out of tires a bit...homemade usually further. SO make sure you have clearance in your fork and frame with FULLY inflated tires WITH THE STUDS.

Or just don't do it? Seems like a simple thing to get hurt on.

Well that pretty much killed the project

Indeed I do not have enough clearance for studded tires

|

12/13/2017 3:50 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

I guess no one has mentioned it...

WHAT ABOUT FORK AND FRAME CLEARANCE??

Studs tend to stick out of tires a bit...homemade usually further. SO make sure you have clearance in your fork and frame with FULLY inflated tires WITH THE STUDS.

Or just don't do it? Seems like a simple thing to get hurt on.

am-shaegar wrote:

Well that pretty much killed the project

Indeed I do not have enough clearance for studded tires

Find someone with an 18" you can borrow the wheels from. Take videos.

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


12/14/2017 10:00 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

I guess no one has mentioned it...

WHAT ABOUT FORK AND FRAME CLEARANCE??

Studs tend to stick out of tires a bit...homemade usually further. SO make sure you have clearance in your fork and frame with FULLY inflated tires WITH THE STUDS.

Or just don't do it? Seems like a simple thing to get hurt on.

yeah...I didn't mention that b/c the act of studding your own tires is such a bitch that most people don't even get that far...

and many of the other reasons why riding on ice is sort of anti-productive

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

12/23/2017 12:25 PM

|

My Sunday Soundwave Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork" - grumpySteve