BMX or Dirt Jumper

Related:
Create New Tag

4/13/2017 12:00 AM

Hey, I was thinking of getting into riding dirt jumps, and wasn't sure whether I should either upgrade or buy a new BMX, or buy a good Dirt Jumper. I was thinking about getting the NS Bikes Movement 1 2017. I don't care about the cost too much, aslong as I will get a good experience. Another option could be.a 24" BMX like the Sunday Model C

Thanks

|

4/13/2017 12:20 AM

From experience, I'd say get a 20" wheeled bmx. You could build a good custom for the same money as the movement. Bmx is so much more versatile. I played around on a 24" ns capital for a while and most things just felt awkward.

If you're only riding mtb style jumps then the movement would be awesome. But if you want to ride anything else it'll feel slow and sluggish

|

4/13/2017 12:27 AM

I know kids who buy DJ bikes and all the local jumps are huge , they're too big typically for skateparks , can't use pegs , harder to fit in cars and stuff , more to maintain . They're fun , but more of an acquired taste .

BMX bikes are easy and can be used anywhere

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

4/13/2017 1:09 AM

22 inch wheeled bmx.

|

4/13/2017 1:22 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

From experience, I'd say get a 20" wheeled bmx. You could build a good custom for the same money as the movement. Bmx is so much more versatile. I played around on a 24" ns capital for a while and most things just felt awkward.

If you're only riding mtb style jumps then the movement would be awesome. But if you want to ride anything else it'll feel slow and sluggish

Any recommendations for parts?

|

4/13/2017 2:19 AM

Get a stable trails frame, there's a few on the market and some are kind of trails based all rounders, like the s&m credence mod. Everything else is personal preference really.

I just got a united tru frame, the 21" has a shorter chainstay, so it'll be a good all rounder. Again though, it's personal preference, and depends what else you'll be riding. A mellowish headtube (74.5) and 13.7ish chainstay, with a 11.7 or lower bb would be a good trails frame that will handle skateparks and street. Or stick with 11.5 and a longer chainstay if it's trails only

|

4/13/2017 6:32 AM

I have both (and then some) and honestly, just pick one now and buy the other later. You'll start to prefer one of the other on dirt jumps. the Model C is a good option too depending on what u like.

Its all personal preference. I prefer my DJ on the Bigger jumps i ride. I feel more confident on it as its more forgiving but i,m also not really trying to do tricks and teh trails aren't works of art.

ON the smaller pump track type lines with small jumps, i much prefer my mudrunner.

I mostly ride BMX in parks and DJ on dirt.

|

4/13/2017 7:34 AM

I also have both a dedicated 21" t1 barcode for trails and a gt Dj. I've ridden the Dj about 4 times....get a bmx. Look for a used standard trailboss or credence.

|

4/13/2017 7:35 AM

an SE Wildman also be a good trail frame for not a lot.

|

4/13/2017 12:51 PM

pnj wrote:

22 inch wheeled bmx.

This.

You can even go budget and grab a Fit Brian Foster 22" for a solid price to check it out.

I even considered it.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/13/2017 5:30 PM

I think you should go with the bmx. I think you can do more tricks on them and the are maneuverable

|

4/13/2017 9:00 PM

As someone who started off on a dirt jump bike (custom dartmoor cody), just get a BMX. I initially got a BMX as a dick-around bike (because djs arent designed for pegs, even if theyre a chromoly frame, and suspension forks....nuff said). Eventually I got so used to the BMX that I built up a new one and sold my Cody build. I have a NS capital 26 rigid thats more of a cruiser bike, I got it for a really good deal, and my housemate mainly uses it these days. I guess Im kinda saving it to make into a race cruiser or something.

And geometry is way more important than weight. The Capital is 24 lbs (not intentionally, I guess I kinda lucked out a bit with it) and my BMX is 31 lbs. The BMX is waaaaaaayyyyyy easier to throw around. The cap may have the added stability of bigger wheels, but for the way I ride its pretty redundant.

|

4/16/2017 3:12 PM

BMX is the better option imo, lighter, cheaper, easier to maintain, more tricks and probably overall stronger.

|

Trails not Rails

Trails YT Channel

4/16/2017 5:00 PM

Nyquist sure makes riding slopestyle look fun

|

4/16/2017 6:00 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Nyquist sure makes riding slopestyle look fun

Those slope guys can really make a bike spin lol

|

1/1/2018 8:33 PM

|

1/1/2018 8:34 PM

Hey 24 capital is a great medium

|

1/1/2018 10:12 PM

Dirt jumpers are cool but IMO are too specialized. Of course you can still ride them anywhere but the larger size makes them a hindrance for some things like transportation and certain tricks.

Im partial to bmx because I like compact things. Take my advice/suggestion with a grain of salt.

I vote BMX

|

1/1/2018 11:02 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/1/2018 11:02 PM

Not that we can't have the conversation but this thread & OP are from April of last year.

|

1/1/2018 11:07 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Not that we can't have the conversation but this thread & OP are from April of last year.

Hmmm...

2017 is so last year. Im gonna have to pass on continuing this one.

|