BMX with Scoliosis?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/9/2018 10:13 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/9/2018 10:21 AM

Hello! It's been a little while since this has been eating away at me, and I had to finally at least try to find answers. I've been looking on the internet and a lot of places, but nothing really has had many answers for me.

The issue being is, I have scoliosis since I was about 14, for which I did wear a 'corrective corset' to avoid it getting worse. My scoliosis is between the 30°-40° degrees, and it's mostly pronounced on my lower back. Regardless, doctor has recommended me sports, but said to try to avoid constant impact. This wouldn't, or at least seems like it wouldn't let me either do running nor BMX Freestyle.

I've recently been looking onto BMX Freestyle because bikes always really interested me, specially BMX. But having in mind my condition, I am afraid I might not be able to do it. But after some research, I found out about BMX Flatland, which seems way less impact related, without jumps and so on...

I'm currently waiting on what should be a defining visit to my doctor to see if I stay how I am, or if I get surgery, that visit would be in a month approximately, and I'm really desperate hoping I can do BMX.

So what I wanted to ask is... is there a way I can still practise BMX regardless of my condition? And what kind of BMX style would be best fit for me, or is there anyway I can adapt to it or filter what I shouldn't be doing?

I'm really passionate about BMX and I hope I can find some answers or direction in this, cause it'd really break my spirit to be unable to practise this wonderful hobby, thanks!

|

Everyone has to start somewhere!

9/9/2018 10:25 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/9/2018 10:26 AM

Cool shit dude! I mean, really anything you do you can fall on your back soooosilly

But i mean i would just stick to flat ground tricks, i dont think ive ever fallen straight on my back. Ive been in a few situations where i couldve fallen on ny back but i did catch myself...

I mean i dont know much about scoliosis but I mean just do what you think would be best for you!

Like i can help you decide on what bike to buy, i just cant really give medical advice lol

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

9/9/2018 10:47 AM

Flatland is definitely less of an impact on your body for certain tricks, but Honda's right in terms of anything can happen, and falling on your back will always be a possibility. But BMX is sick, it ain't about doing flashy tricks, you just gotta have fun. smile I say go for it if you get the green light!

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

9/9/2018 10:55 AM

Steve Caballero, a skateboarding legend, had scoliosis through his whole career and says it never affected him much.

|

9/9/2018 10:55 AM

Try pump/dirt track riding. WAY less hard impacts than even flatland. You can even work up to trail riding and dirt jumps.

|

9/9/2018 11:03 AM

In addition to pump/dirt tracks I think you could easily do general park flowing/cruising as long as you work up to it and don't start going too hard and fast too soon.

|

9/9/2018 11:59 AM

Get a bike, have fun. As long as you don't push yourself, or try to ride outside your ability, you'll be fine smile
You might be a bit limited with what you can do, but even if you have fun just having a pedal, it's all good.
There's always a possibility of falling, so just take your time with learning. You'll work out what you can and can't do

|

9/9/2018 1:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/9/2018 1:31 PM

Thanks everyone so far with the replies! Really appreciate the support you've all given and I will really try to look into all the alternatives you guys have listed. Once again, thanks a lot! And I look forward to finding a way to enjoy BMXing! smile

|

Everyone has to start somewhere!

9/9/2018 2:03 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

Try pump/dirt track riding. WAY less hard impacts than even flatland. You can even work up to trail riding and dirt jumps.

+1 this. Pump tracks are fun as hell as well.

|

An Indian on a small bike

9/9/2018 2:43 PM

I have a twisted pelvis, which makes my spine curve like scoliosis. Riding doesn't bother me at all. I think it actually helps a little with flexibility and pain.

|

9/9/2018 3:15 PM

Give it a shot , flatland is badass , might physically strengthen you aswell

|

9/9/2018 4:32 PM

Unless you're talking about dropping six stair sets or loading ramps to flat, you're not going to experience huge impacts from BMX. Even if you were, it wouldn't be constant.

I'm old and I feel BMX in (1) my knees, and (2) my wrists. Never my back. Riding a BMX bike is great exercise for the upper/lower back and core. I'd definitely suggest getting into it - just take it slow.

Flatland is cool (it's primarily what I ride), but I think you'd be fine doing anything besides the most extreme stuff. Even dirt jumping huge distances isn't particularly jarring.

|

9/9/2018 5:11 PM

Spineworx!!! I had the same thing, also in my lumbar vertebrae! Took almost 2 years, but it fixed me up proper. My chiropracter said it would never work, but it totally did. Its only like $40. It hurts though. Not comfortable in any way and its sometimes hard to work yourself into those little grooves. U just lay on that bad boy for at least 15 min a day with your legs up and relax as best you can. (I put a chair in front of it so my thighs went up straight, but i could stay relaxed by resting my lower legs on the seat)

|

9/11/2018 8:08 AM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

I have a twisted pelvis, which makes my spine curve like scoliosis. Riding doesn't bother me at all. I think it actually helps a little with flexibility and pain.

I have scoliosis also-not as bad as yours and I don’t need to have it straightened but I also find that riding helps to relax things and really help me feel “looser”

|

9/11/2018 8:19 AM

I have 3 bulging disks in my lower back, and my S1 disk is completely gone. 2 verterbrae just knockin up on each other. I also have either a torn rotator cuff or destroyed shoulder ligament.

Don't let anything stop you. Stretch, eat clean, and pray.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

9/11/2018 9:28 AM

There are some low to no impact tricks you can do with no worries but ya, pumptracks would be a solid choice I would think. I think flatlanders might crash a lot considering how tech a lot of the tricks are but after you mester them I dont see them being super hard impact-wise.

|

9/11/2018 10:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/11/2018 10:05 AM

Developing your own style of riding around low/no impact would actually be quite interesting to follow and would probably look extremely steezy once mastered. If you want to get into that kind of riding that is.

|